5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnitedWA

I think he just doesn't have it for United and we should sell him before his value drops below 40 mil...

FrenchRed

I never watched him in Germany, never followed him until he signed for us.

Genuinely underwhelmed, have no idea what the fuss is about.

Strootman's Finger

That moment of Ten Hag and Sancho smiling and laughing as he was being brought on for the first time since his sabbatical seems like a long time ago. I had so much hope in the moment, but he hasn't improved since his time in the Netherlands.

McTerminator

He did get Williams booked by going on the outside of him and I personally wouldn't mind the fact he checks back if the following action creates something. He clearly doesn't have the speed, will nor skills to go on the outside of his defender and run at him often like Garnacho would.
True. Antony loves a check-back, but he does something with it after.

I really just didn’t see the positives in that performance that others seem to have seen.

Woziak

And it means jack shit if your acceleration is slow.
He’s not slow but could probably benefit from United getting a sprint coach in, he has the physical attributes, he 5’11 long enough stride just needs to work with a sprint coach .

RuudtheRed

What's odd about that though, Smalling was always one of our fastest centrebacks when he played here?

But back to the point of this thread, Sancho continues to play within himself these past few weeks. He's had decent games but he lacks some of the speed, strength and desire that Rashford and Antony have. No doubting his technical qualities though and eye for a pass.

Cloud7

At the moment, I think the bar is so low for him, that if he doesn't do something catastrophically bad, he's seen to have had a good game. I've fallen into that trap with him. He didn't do anything awful, ergo, he had a good game. When in fact, he was just incredibly meek again, IMO. Again, far from his worst performance, but absolutely nowhere near we he should be.
I think this is probably happening with a lot of people. I was wondering if so many people watched a different game to me. The bar is incredibly low for Sancho in terms of what is perceived as a good game.

Olecurls99

In the second half, mind you. He was pretty abysmal in the first, as he was all game against Sevilla.

I really don't see this "getting sharper every game, going in the right direction" assessment you read here and there. Seems more like wishful thinking to me. He's been wildly up and down with no apparent clear tendency since he returned - some terrific cameos, interspersed with mostly miserable starts. And his last two games taken as a whole have looked a lot more like the nadir than like progress. They've had all the telltale signs of missing confidence - always a moment late into situations, loses most duels, makes late or wrong choices, errs on the side of unimaginativeness. True he looked better in the second half against Forest, but not hugely so - and he's never going to get easier circumstances for his kind of game than we had there, wide-open and with complete dominance on the ball.
I think he just doesn't have it for United and we should sell him before his value drops below 40 mil...
I never watched him in Germany, never followed him until he signed for us.

Genuinely underwhelmed, have no idea what the fuss is about.
I think this is probably happening with a lot of people. I was wondering if so many people watched a different game to me. The bar is incredibly low for Sancho in terms of what is perceived as a good game.
Let's have a look at the stats lads because I think the general consensus on here is overly critical and quite lazy.

I'm gonna compare his stats against all the other wide players in the PL this season. I'm gonna look at the attributes everybody would look for in a Man United wide attacker.

Stats are per 90 minutes.

Goals: He's better than 75% of the wide attackers in the league

Assists: He's better than 54%

Expected assists: 58%

Shot Creating Actions: 86%

Take ons: 71%

Progressive passes, carries and passes received: 70%

Pass completion: 95%

Passes attempted(Hideability): 75%

These stats show a player that while not dominating, is a top end PL wide player. I think the lads stats have much room for improvement. I don't think lazy overcriticism will help.

Last edited:

justsomebloke

Let's have a look at the stats lads because I think the general consensus on here is overly critical and quite lazy.

I'm gonna compare his stats against all the other wide players in the PL this season. I'm gonna look at the attributes everybody would look for in a Man United wide attacker.

These stats show a player that while not dominating, is a top end PL wide player. I think the lads stats have much room for improvement. I don't think lazy overcriticism will help.
Where are those stats from?

In any case, it is certainly lazy to quote season stats as an argument that it's wrong to claim he's not showing steady improvement in recent games, or that his performance since returning has been uneven to say the least.

Also, I think you may overestimate how positive a picture those stats paint. No one's got top percentiles across the board, but if you're identifying someone who is a successful performer for a top team, and trying to define the contributions that makes him successful, you're basically looking at a player who is one of the five-ten best wide forwards in the league. So you're looking at above 80 percentiles, and there should be quite a few of those. A couple of those you quote (assists and expected assists) are actually rather damningly bang average.

I'm not questioning that he's a good player, nor that he has played well on many occasions this season. But too often he hasn't, and his last two games have been poor, in my opinion. Again, except the second half against Forest, which was good.

Chief123

How is it that he was at one stage such a dangerous player for Dortmund then for us he's the complete opposite. Was it the players around him?

I never feel like he's going to be a danger to the opposition when he has the ball. I also don't expect anything from him when he's in possession.
Everytime he gets the ball I have zero confidence he is going to do anything dangerous to the full back. In fact I normally expect him to get bulldozed off the ball or for him to pass it back to his team mate.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Let's be honest, he should be moved on but we will be unable to shift him because of his huge wages. He is an okay squad option but honestly someone like Amad or Pellestri should probably be vying to overtake him in the pecking order next season.

I'd go as far as saying he is our most disappointing signing ever. Pogba and Di Maria gave us more.

Chief123

As much as I’d love for him to fire, there is absolutely nothing he has done so far to show he is a top end PL wide player so far. I’m all for supporting him and getting behind him, but the truth is he’s done nothing more than average performances and below average stats so far.

Stacks

In any case, it is certainly lazy to quote season stats as an argument that it's wrong to claim he's not showing steady improvement in recent games, or that his performance since returning has been uneven to say the least.

Also, I think you may overestimate how positive a picture those stats paint. No one's got top percentiles across the board, but if you're identifying someone who is a successful performer for a top team, and trying to define the contributions that makes him successful, you're basically looking at a player who is one of the five-ten best wide forwards in the league. So you're looking at above 80 percentiles, and there should be quite a few of those. A couple of those you quote (assists and expected assists) are actually rather damningly bang average.

I'm not questioning that he's a good player, nor that he has played well on many occasions this season. But too often he hasn't, and his last two games have been poor, in my opinion. Again, except the second half against Forest, which was good.
respectfully, contributions per 90 can also be deceptive which is why it is good to combine the two (contributions per 90) (contributions per game).
Jadon rarely completes 90 mins so his data is skewed in that regard. It was like this with Martial under Jose (looked good per 90).
Fact is Jadon has 5 goals and 2 assists in 30 apps. Had 5 goals 3 assists in 38 apps last year. The reason he does not complete 90 mins is because he isnt doing enough for his coach expectations so gets hauled off or brought on as a sub. Super Sub players typically look good per 90. All 4 games he scored in the league he was either coming off the bench or taken off at 70 mins. The eye test alone should tell you he is not one of the top wingers in the league but the stats will also if you are being honest with yourself.

Olecurls99

As much as I’d love for him to fire, there is absolutely nothing he has done so far to show he is a top end PL wide player so far. I’m all for supporting him and getting behind him, but the truth is he’s done nothing more than average performances and below average stats so far.
Average is 50%. Nothing I showed was below 50% :confused:

Chief123

And everything you showed was compared to wingers from the “whole” league and then you claim he’s a “top” PL winger. Compare his stats to the top performers and he’s nowhere near them.

FrenchRed

I never said he was lazy. I said I’ve been unimpressed.

justsomebloke

If you're in the 50 percentiles, then you can be accurately be broadly described as average in that aspect of the game. As in average compared to every single wide player in the PL who's played the minimum number of games required for inclusion in the stat. Which again means that your results, in that particular category, are not something that makes a positive contribution to a top team.

Again, no one has top percentiles across the board, and being a top player doesn't mean you're contributing to everything. But a 58 percentile stat does not support an argument a player is doing well with something.

Olecurls99

FBREF

I'm not claiming he's a top wide player. I'm suggesting that he's an above average PL one with room for improvement. The stats definitely back that up
respectfully, contributions per 90 can also be deceptive which is why it is good to combine the two (contributions per 90) (contributions per game).
Jadon rarely completes 90 mins so his data is skewed in that regard. It was like this with Martial under Jose (looked good per 90).
Fact is Jadon has 5 goals and 2 assists in 30 apps. Had 5 goals 3 assists in 38 apps last year. The reason he does not complete 90 mins is because he isnt doing enough for his coach expectations so gets hauled off or brought on as a sub. Super Sub players typically look good per 90. All 4 games he scored in the league he was either coming off the bench or taken off at 70 mins. The eye test alone should tell you he is not one of the top wingers in the league but the stats will also if you are being honest with yourself.
I think stats per 90 are way way more accurate than per appearance.

18 x 15minute cameos equals 3 x 90 minute games. If you don't score it can read as no goals in 18 appearances. Per minute stats are far more accurate.

Olecurls99

If you're in the 50 percentiles, then you can be accurately be broadly described as average in that aspect of the game. As in average compared to every single wide player in the PL who's played the minimum number of games required for inclusion in the stat. Which again means that your results, in that particular category, are not something that makes a positive contribution to a top team.

Again, no one has top percentiles across the board, and being a top player doesn't mean you're contributing to everything. But a 58 percentile stat does not support an argument a player is doing well with something.
He's not in the 50 percentiles in most of the stats I put up. You're misrepresenting the stats.

Fabio Rochemback

Let's be honest, he should be moved on but we will be unable to shift him because of his huge wages. He is an okay squad option but honestly someone like Amad or Pellestri should probably be vying to overtake him in the pecking order next season.

I'd go as far as saying he is our most disappointing signing ever. Pogba and Di Maria gave us more.
I'm definitely leaning towards selling him too. He's on huge wages, we need to free up funds and we have Rahford, Garnacho, Antony, Pellistri, Amad and Martial who can play on the wings.

foolsgold

He's not a bad player at all, but the problem is the fee and the wages, people were expecting a generational talent. like a Bellingham or a Foden and he hasn't been near that level at all.

The early promise isn't being fulfilled, don't think he's kicked a ball for England since the euros. It's a career that's stalled and is in danger of heading to Lingered levels.

Brightonian

Try re-reading and thinking before posting.
No he's correct. You've discussed him being in the '50s' in those percentiles, but while he is in the 50s for two (assists and Xassists), he's in the 70s, 80s and 90s for 6 other stats. So he's right, you've misrepresented the stats he's offered.

crossy1686

career ending

Are these stats PL only or do they include his time in Germany?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
It feels like the difference between Sancho and Antony is best described with the word complacency. A lack of urgency. Sancho was always the biggest talent, but Antony will be better. It is a difference we see quite alot between European and South American-footballers in my opinion.

I think it was that word Beckham used to describe O’Kane in his books. According to Beckham the best player in the 92 youth team, but lacked the mentality. (Turned out later that he had autism.)

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This season in the PL. I know ..... he's not doing as bad as people make out.
He has been very disappointing. Literally don’t care if his stats are better than Alex Iwobi or Ben Gordon, he plays in a better team than most other wingers and has done next to nothing all season. He’s definitely nowhere near the level you’d expect from a Man Utd winger.

crossy1686

career ending
This season in the PL. I know ..... he's not doing as bad as people make out.
He has though, these stats don't really tell much apart from that United are better than most other PL teams. It would be fairer to compare his stats to other wingers in the top 4, including those at United, to get a true reflection of how he's been.

Forgetting the stats for a second, he doesn't pass the eye test for me. Whether its a confidence thing or an ability thing, I don't know, but I'd much rather see Garnacho, Rashford or Antony on the wings than Sancho.

Last edited:

justsomebloke

No he's correct. You've discussed him being in the '50s' in those percentiles, but while he is in the 50s for two (assists and Xassists), he's in the 70s, 80s and 90s for 6 other stats. So he's right, you've misrepresented the stats he's offered.
OK, complete and boring waste of everyone's time though this is; I have not, anywhere, claimed or implied that all of his stats, or most of his stats, are in the 50 percentiles. I have on the contrary specifically pointed out that TWO of the stats he quotes are in the 50 percentiles, and made the point that 50 percentile stats do not support a claim that this is a good player in the aspects of the game those stats pertain to. Since he nevertheless included them as support for his argument that Sanchos stats are good, I pointed out that he may not have an accurate idea of what percentiles can be regarded as good and which cannot.

justsomebloke

He has though, these stats don't really tell much apart from that United are better than most other PL teams. It would be fairer to compare his stats to other wingers in the top 4, including those at United, to get a true reflection of how he's been.

Forgetting the stats for a second, he doesn't pass the eye test for me. Whether its a confidence thing or an ability thing, I don't know, but I'd much rather see Garnacho, Rashfrod or Antony on the wings than Sancho.
True in principle, and my gut feeling is the same as yours regarding the eye test, but actually his stats does look a good deal better than I'd have expected in quite a lot of important offensive categories. So much so that they go some way towards making me at least question my gut feeling, season regarded as a whole.

Not the last couple of performances though.

crossy1686

career ending
True in principle, and my gut feeling is the same as yours regarding the eye test, but actually his stats does look a good deal better than I'd have expected in quite a lot of important offensive categories. So much so that they go some way towards making me at least question my gut feeling, season regarded as a whole.

Not the last couple of performances though.
Yeah I agree, I'm surprised by those stats also but like I said, I'd question whether or not a lot of those are a side effect of playing for a team that creates a lot of chances on the whole and play with the ball in the opposition half a lot. He's only got 2 more goals than Dan James this season and they're both on 2 assists each...

justsomebloke

Yeah I agree, I'm surprised by those stats also but like I said, I'd question whether or not a lot of those are a side effect of playing for a team that creates a lot of chances on the whole and play with the ball in the opposition half a lot. He's only got 2 more goals than Dan James this season and they're both on 2 assists each...
Intuitively I don't think most of those can be ascribed simply to playing for a top team. (Could be looked into, if I'd had the time, which sadly I don't)

OleGunnar20

If there was a market for him at 40-50m I'd be in favour of selling. He's clearly talented, but equally clearly not mentally up to the challenge here. Garnacho, Amad and even Pellistri have looked worthy of a squad role and we could do with the funds.

Shame as I think he'll do well at a club with less scrutiny and competition. Would there be anywhere out there willing to pay for him at the moment do we think?

Status
Not open for further replies.