g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Jadon Sancho image 25

Jadon Sancho England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woziak

It because he just can't get away from the right back, he's way to slow. If Rashford is back for Thursday maybe Sancho can be an alternative at 10 with Bruno and maybe Sabitzer out.
See here’s the thing, since Sancho come to united, he looks slow and ponderous and he’s only just turned 23, so it’s crazy to think he’s on the slide.

In Bundersliga he was clocked at 21.5mph, quicker than Gnabry and Nchuku, yes Markus has reached 22.5mph which is freakish pace only matched or bettered by players like Mbappe, K Walker, Hakimi, Alphonso Davies.

Jadon was no slouch at 20-21 so where that pace gone, I think he must have had some type of injury or mental block, he’s had moments this season when he looks like maybe he’ll come back but then he regresses, I don’t think he can handle not being one of the first names on the team sheet and right now he would be 5th or 6th choice if everyone was fit.

We are going to sign a top CF, so he will have increased competition as Rashford, Garnaucho and probably Martial will be battling out for left striker or back up CF, Antony and maybe Dialo or we buy another left footed right winger will compete for right wing.

His best hope is maybe to turn himself into a true number 10 that can do everything, he has age on his side but must work much harder.

We do need a little bit of perspective, something has clearly happened that affected his mental well-being and he missed a quarter of the season, he’s not been great recently but still has moments. From 30 games he’s featured in he has 5 goals and 2 assist. That’s a 1 in 4.25 goal involvement per game, not great but not disastrous, had he scored 2 goals in last two games we would be saying he’s on his way back to form, so that’s how these stats affect our opinion on being balanced on the subject.

Before we pack him off and sell him, I’d like to see how he finishes the season and how he performs in the big games coming.

Brightonian

So early to give up on him as a player for us.

We have a clear first choice front three now: Rashford, Martial, Antony.

It's clear we are determined to buy a #9 to replace Martial or play the 80% of any given season when he is statistically likely to be injured.
Garnacho is an option as back-up LW, Pellistri or Amad as back-up RW. Sancho is clearly good enough to be in that mix, and if you want to compete for titles you need players of his quality on the bench. With him, those wing options look healthy. Without him, they look light.
Additionally, he is still our only creative #10 option other than Bruno. His best football this season has been in his couple of outings in that position.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He won’t be sold next season, Homegrown , and his salary is ridiculous no one will buy him on £300-350k per week, so we have to develop the player, wasn’t there a report last year that one of his closest friends died and he clearly suffered with depression which is why ETH tried to get him out of the uK to rebuild his mental and physical fitness.

He can still be important for us to the end of the season, he has never been super quick, but he’s a playmaker winger, when you have Eriksen and Bruno, he’s always going to get overshadowed but I think he’ll come good as a a squad option, not a definite starter, the question is who gave him the basic wage and 5+1 contract that’s he’s on ?
I’m not sure that he even is homegrown in accordance to the rules, and everything you described is of a player who is very replaceable at a significantly lower cost.

He will be difficult to shift due to his salary, but that also depends on how his salary is structured. He may also be seen as some sort of marquee signing for the right club with money (like Newcastle or Villa).

Woziak

I’m not sure that he even is homegrown in accordance to the rules, and everything you described is of a player who is very replaceable at a significantly lower cost.

He will be difficult to shift due to his salary, but that also depends on how his salary is structured. He may also be seen as some sort of marquee signing for the right club with money (like Newcastle or Villa).
He only leaves if someone offers £75m and £300k per week, even Newcastle and Villa right now need at least 2/3 years of Revenue growth to be able to afford Sancho, they would need to be turning over £400-450m to satisfy FFP and the new FsP can’t see it, Bayern might have been an option, Sane For Sancho swap now that’s a possibility but we can’t get rid of every HG player for next season, we need 8 for a squad of 25 and 10 for a squad for 27 so we are not getting rid of All of D Henderson, B Williams, AWB, H Maguire, M Greenwood, J Sancho, S Mctominay,

We will get rid of B Williams, D Henderson, M Greenwood defintely and they represent pure profit as they have no cost. So sell those 3 for £50m it’s profit. I think it’s fair to say will only sell 1 or 2 from the other 4 listed because you have to replace them with homegrown status players.

Right now if we bought Frimpong who qualifies as homegrown for £25m, would you get rid of Dalot or AWB or the worst of our full backs Malacia who does not have HG status. My point is ETH and Murtourgh are trying to adapt to a moving market and potential new or not new owners.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He only leaves if someone offers £75m and £300k per week, even Newcastle and Villa right now need at least 2/3 years of Revenue growth to be able to afford Sancho, they would need to be turning over £400-450m to satisfy FFP and the new FsP can’t see it, Bayern might have been an option, Sane For Sancho swap now that’s a possibility but we can’t get rid of every HG player for next season, we need 8 for a squad of 25 and 10 for a squad for 27 so we are not getting rid of All of D Henderson, B Williams, AWB, H Maguire, M Greenwood, J Sancho, S Mctominay,

We will get rid of B Williams, D Henderson, M Greenwood defintely and they represent pure profit as they have no cost. So sell those 3 for £50m it’s profit. I think it’s fair to say will only sell 1 or 2 from the other 4 listed because you have to replace them with homegrown status players.

Right now if we bought Frimpong who qualifies as homegrown for £25m, would you get rid of Dalot or AWB or the worst of our full backs Malacia who does not have HG status. My point is ETH and Murtourgh are trying to adapt to a moving market and potential new or not new owners.
Again, I’m not even sure that he qualifies as homegrown. I thought he needed to be in a British academy from 16 or something? Also, he is being replaced in our squad by a homegrown player anyway.

And secondly, if we were asking for £75m then quite simply, that would be akin to saying he just isn’t for sale. Which he may not be. And again, the question of wages also depends on how his wages are structured. What percentage is basic, what percentage is bonus? Pogba was regularly cited as earning 290k p/w here, yet his base salary was actually about 160k.

Lastly, none of these arguments for keeping him seem to have anything to do with him being a positively contributing footballer for Manchester United.

Chinchy98

It was a step in the right direction yesterday, but it was still a "meh" display IMO. Still passive on the ball, off the ball rather meek & just a general lethargy that is omnipresent.

Borninthe80ts

I feel like with some players even when they do something good on the pitch people can only see the bad. By no means was this a perfect performance but I definitely saw more positive aspects than negative.

There are things some players aren’t naturally good at but as long as I see effort to improve, for me it’s positive. I’ve seen statements saying he didn’t track back, when I saw more effort today on that front than any other game this season. He created at least 2 good chances that if we had anybody in the middle of the goal, would have been 2 assists.

He clearly still has a way to go, but some folk seem so certain there is none. Just hoping Ten has more faith.

Doracle

every now and again I look back to this think where this player has gone?
It’s very dispiriting watching that again. It could genuinely be a different player. The player in those clips, playing on our right wing, would be transformative to our play. It can’t just be the difference between PL and Bundesliga. It must be confidence based.

Strelok

He is homegrown I think. To be one you'd just need to be on an English team for three years before the age of 21.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
See here’s the thing, since Sancho come to united, he looks slow and ponderous and he’s only just turned 23, so it’s crazy to think he’s on the slide.

In Bundersliga he was clocked at 21.5mph, quicker than Gnabry and Nchuku, yes Markus has reached 22.5mph which is freakish pace only matched or bettered by players like Mbappe, K Walker, Hakimi, Alphonso Davies.

Jadon was no slouch at 20-21 so where that pace gone, I think he must have had some type of injury or mental block, he’s had moments this season when he looks like maybe he’ll come back but then he regresses, I don’t think he can handle not being one of the first names on the team sheet and right now he would be 5th or 6th choice if everyone was fit.

We are going to sign a top CF, so he will have increased competition as Rashford, Garnaucho and probably Martial will be battling out for left striker or back up CF, Antony and maybe Dialo or we buy another left footed right winger will compete for right wing.

His best hope is maybe to turn himself into a true number 10 that can do everything, he has age on his side but must work much harder.

We do need a little bit of perspective, something has clearly happened that affected his mental well-being and he missed a quarter of the season, he’s not been great recently but still has moments. From 30 games he’s featured in he has 5 goals and 2 assist. That’s a 1 in 4.25 goal involvement per game, not great but not disastrous, had he scored 2 goals in last two games we would be saying he’s on his way back to form, so that’s how these stats affect our opinion on being balanced on the subject.

Before we pack him off and sell him, I’d like to see how he finishes the season and how he performs in the big games coming.
https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/stats/players/top-speed/2020-2021
He was clocked at 33.02 km/h which put him on the 167th place in Bundesliga

Hit It

Just a lazy player who is selfish on the ball. Its no surprise Martial and Fernandes were angry with him during the sevilla game when they made clear runs to break the defensive line and he delays and after he dribble himself into danger. Happened too many times now where he would rather dance around on the ball rather than create a goal scoring opprtunity. Use the fecking players around you if your too scared to dribble past defenders.

Strelok

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/stats/players/top-speed/2020-2021
He was clocked at 33.02 km/h which put him on the 167th place in Bundesliga
The top speed is actually quite flaw in judging how fast a player is imo. What really counts in football is the acceleration. For example believe it or not but Messi's top speed is only 32.5 kmh while Telles has a top speed of 33.4 kmh. But Telles looks slow as feck because he doesn't have a good acceleration.

https://speedsdb.com/alex-telles-top-speed

Waynne

How is it that he was at one stage such a dangerous player for Dortmund then for us he's the complete opposite. Was it the players around him?

I never feel like he's going to be a danger to the opposition when he has the ball. I also don't expect anything from him when he's in possession.

Strelok

How is it that he was at one stage such a dangerous player for Dortmund then for us he's the complete opposite. Was it the players around him?

I never feel like he's going to be a danger to the opposition when he has the ball. I also don't expect anything from him when he's in possession.
Imo it's probably because of three things. Space, pace of the game and the physicality.

Bundes is free in my country so I watch couple of their games and there is always huge space for players to run into. Their defenders look like they care about attacking more than defending. Most teams play with a very high line regardless of who they're against. And the pace/intensity of the game is rather slow except a few odd games like Bayern against Dortmund. And they're also much less physical than the PL. The refs there always blow their whistle even in some minor physical contact which the refs in PL would simply ignore.

I might be wrong though I don't watch the Bundes much.

Waynne

Imo it's probably because of three things. Space, pace of the game and the physicality.

Bundes is free in my country so I watch couple of their games and there is always huge space for players to run into. Their defenders look like they care about attacking more than defending. Most teams play with a very high line regardless of who they're against. And the pace/intensity of the game is rather slow except a few odd games like Bayern against Dortmund. And they're also much less physical than the PL. The refs there always blow their whistle even in some minor physical contact which the refs in PL would simply ignore.

I might be wrong though I don't watch the Bundes much.
Noted but surely over the course of the past few years he's been with us he would have adapated to the way the game has played. I mean we never get the sense that he's found even some of that Dortmund form.

Its a bizarre case. I'm starting to think its a mental block of some sort. Must be that otherwise why was he sent away to train by himself. Or do we just need to lock him in a room with Roy Keane armed with a cricket bat.

York

Thought he was pretty good and silky in the second half. He’s more of a futsal player i think and would be absolutely great in a 5 a side team. That shot over the bar was also probably the hardest I have seen him kick a ball for us so far

I have a feeling he’s gonna score against Sevilla on Thursday
Right. Or sand soccer. Or soccer tennis. Not sure that's what we had in mind though when we forked out all that money.

York

If he could just get stuck in, like Anthony, or show some passion, like Dalot..

But he doesn't.

He's a luxury player that lacks desire and I just don't see Ten Hag putting up with this for long - especially on £350k per week.

Loan him out to a Championship team and let him get kicked for a season to toughen him up.

One thing I did notice however was that he rarely gets the return ball - I think sometimes he looks indecisive because he's trying to setup a play, but if he doesn't get the return ball, it never looks like it paid off. I do think that if he now gets a run with Martial, Eriksen and Bruno in the team, we might see an improvement but I'm not holding my breathe.

Overall he looks like a lost little boy and that's a massive shame. Today was a great opportunity to step up and he failed to do so.
350k per week? That's more than I make in 3 months.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Jadon ‘check-back’ Sancho. The lad is infuriating and shows no signs of improvement.

1v1 with a defender? Check-back

Clear ball on to put us in behind? Check-back

In on goal? Check-back

Open net? Check-back

He will succeed somewhere, but we should sell him while people still believe that. Selling him for £50m and him succeeding back in Dortmund or Chelsea is much better than keeping him with his current level of play and on his current wages.
He did get Williams booked by going on the outside of him and I personally wouldn't mind the fact he checks back if the following action creates something. He clearly doesn't have the speed, will nor skills to go on the outside of his defender and run at him often like Garnacho would.

dinostar77

It’s very dispiriting watching that again. It could genuinely be a different player. The player in those clips, playing on our right wing, would be transformative to our play. It can’t just be the difference between PL and Bundesliga. It must be confidence based.
He had Hakimi behind him at RB when at Dortmund. Makes a big difference when you have one of the worlds best attacking RBs, pulling players out of posiition, creating space for you etc.

Strelok

Noted but surely over the course of the past few years he's been with us he would have adapated to the way the game has played. I mean we never get the sense that he's found even some of that Dortmund form.

Its a bizarre case. I'm starting to think its a mental block of some sort. Must be that otherwise why was he sent away to train by himself. Or do we just need to lock him in a room with Roy Keane armed with a cricket bat.
Maybe.

For me imo he's just a bit slow. He doesn't have the explosiveness/ acceleration and strength to get past a defender in the PL. For example there were many instances especially on our counters where he faces a 1vs1 he pushed the ball forward tried to outpace/outmuscle a defender but he always failed.

I've never seen he outpaces or outmuscles a defender in his time here. Imo he also knows it that's why he always pass back instead of taking on the defender or keep running with the ball while a defender chasing him.

Imo it's become quite clear that Sancho won't thrive as a traditional winger. Maybe ETH would have an answer for this looking at how Pep used little Silva.

M16Red

Nathon Bishop, Scott McTominay, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Luke Shaw, Axel Tuanzebe and Aaron Wan-Bissaka are the other seven players that are homegrown alongside Ronaldo, who joined the club from Sporting Libson in 2003 aged 17.

He was at City for 3 years and Watford before that.

Edited:
Interestingly, Welsh players are not classed as homegrown (for Europe) - like Ben Davis with Swansea 2004 - 2014, mad considering Swansea are in the EPL.

Jude bellingham is homegrown as well, left around the same age as sancho. So there really is an English tax created by Greg Dyke

Last edited:

Woziak

Again, I’m not even sure that he qualifies as homegrown. I thought he needed to be in a British academy from 16 or something? Also, he is being replaced in our squad by a homegrown player anyway.

And secondly, if we were asking for £75m then quite simply, that would be akin to saying he just isn’t for sale. Which he may not be. And again, the question of wages also depends on how his wages are structured. What percentage is basic, what percentage is bonus? Pogba was regularly cited as earning 290k p/w here, yet his base salary was actually about 160k.

Lastly, none of these arguments for keeping him seem to have anything to do with him being a positively contributing footballer for Manchester United.
He’s an English international that’s played in a tournament, he’s homegrown as he was born in England, how can a player born in England and play for England not be homegrown, for the record he was at City from about 15 to 18 but yeh for the record anyone representing the English national team playing in the EPL is pretty much a lock for Homegrown, which homegrown players is replacing him because Amad’s HG status is still to be decided as he was loaned out to the Scottish PL not within the same country as far as FIFA is concerned? Pellistri not HG, Garnaucho is HG which is why United are so desperate to get him to sign a new contract and Amad no confirmation yet.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I damn right hate how it looks like he is ballwatching all the time. The hate maguire gets compared to sancho is shocking.

ForeverRed1

350k per week? That's more than I make in 3 months.
so your on over 100k per month?. The average salary in the uk is 31k per year! That puts more into perspective how much money this guy is making for being pretty poor really and I like him!

Guapa

Clearly a good baller just naturally not very athletic.Hope ETH can work his magic on him as he could be a great asset and seems we're stuck with him with those wages and price tag.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Clearly a good baller just naturally not very athletic.Hope ETH can work his magic on him as he could be a great asset and seems we're stuck with him with those wages and price tag.
At this stage it feels like nobody can help him significantly unless he finds confidence and a genuine desire to develop his physicality. He’s been here for nearly two years and I don’t understand why he hasn’t been able to turn himself into a proper athlete by now. If Sancho had that physicality and ability to use his body he’ll be very hard to stop. In fact if you watch Saka for me what stands out most is his hold up play - it’s one of their easy outlets. He either manages to lay the ball off or win a free kick. It shouldn’t be this hard to improve on surely.

Having said that I do think we’re seeing progress from him since his break so at least it’s a step.

Jeffthered

So early to give up on him as a player for us.

We have a clear first choice front three now: Rashford, Martial, Antony.

It's clear we are determined to buy a #9 to replace Martial or play the 80% of any given season when he is statistically likely to be injured.
Garnacho is an option as back-up LW, Pellistri or Amad as back-up RW. Sancho is clearly good enough to be in that mix, and if you want to compete for titles you need players of his quality on the bench. With him, those wing options look healthy. Without him, they look light.
Additionally, he is still our only creative #10 option other than Bruno. His best football this season has been in his couple of outings in that position.
You would be happy for Manchester United to go into next season, with this forward line?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s an English international that’s played in a tournament, he’s homegrown as he was born in England, how can a player born in England and play for England not be homegrown, for the record he was at City from about 15 to 18 but yeh for the record anyone representing the English national team playing in the EPL is pretty much a lock for Homegrown, which homegrown players is replacing him because Amad’s HG status is still to be decided as he was loaned out to the Scottish PL not within the same country as far as FIFA is concerned? Pellistri not HG, Garnaucho is HG which is why United are so desperate to get him to sign a new contract and Amad no confirmation yet.
Eric Dier is not homegrown.

Olecurls99

Thought he looked more at it on Sunday. He's getting fitter and sharper with the games he's playing. Not great in the final 3rd but signs he's going in the right direction.

justsomebloke

Thought he looked more at it on Sunday. He's getting fitter and sharper with the games he's playing. Not great in the final 3rd but signs he's going in the right direction.
In the second half, mind you. He was pretty abysmal in the first, as he was all game against Sevilla.

I really don't see this "getting sharper every game, going in the right direction" assessment you read here and there. Seems more like wishful thinking to me. He's been wildly up and down with no apparent clear tendency since he returned - some terrific cameos, interspersed with mostly miserable starts. And his last two games taken as a whole have looked a lot more like the nadir than like progress. They've had all the telltale signs of missing confidence - always a moment late into situations, loses most duels, makes late or wrong choices, errs on the side of unimaginativeness. True he looked better in the second half against Forest, but not hugely so - and he's never going to get easier circumstances for his kind of game than we had there, wide-open and with complete dominance on the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.