g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Jadon Sancho image 25

Jadon Sancho England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

cpresc

If he could just get stuck in, like Anthony, or show some passion, like Dalot..

But he doesn't.

He's a luxury player that lacks desire and I just don't see Ten Hag putting up with this for long - especially on £350k per week.

Loan him out to a Championship team and let him get kicked for a season to toughen him up.

One thing I did notice however was that he rarely gets the return ball - I think sometimes he looks indecisive because he's trying to setup a play, but if he doesn't get the return ball, it never looks like it paid off. I do think that if he now gets a run with Martial, Eriksen and Bruno in the team, we might see an improvement but I'm not holding my breathe.

Overall he looks like a lost little boy and that's a massive shame. Today was a great opportunity to step up and he failed to do so.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Work hard, and he's showing intensity that he'd been missing before. Excellent game for his standard.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
If he could just get stuck in, like Anthony, or show some passion, like Dalot..

But he doesn't.

He's a luxury player that lacks desire and I just don't see Ten Hag putting up with this for long - especially on £350k per week.

Loan him out to a Championship team and let him get kicked for a season to toughen him up.

One thing I did notice however was that he rarely gets the return ball - I think sometimes he looks indecisive because he's trying to setup a play, but if he doesn't get the return ball, it never looks like it paid off. I do think that if he now gets a run with Martial, Eriksen and Bruno in the team, we might see an improvement but I'm not holding my breathe.

Overall he looks like a lost little boy and that's a massive shame. Today was a great opportunity to step up and he failed to do so.
Seriously?

I don't want Jadon, but don't be so delusional. No Championship team can afford his wages nor would he want to move there even on loan.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I still think we should give him another season but under a condition that he fights fair vs Garnacho and possibly Amad. No privilaged position as he hasn't deserved it.I would be OK with selling him as I don't think he has the mentality to make it on this level and I am not sure if we will miss him really.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He’s worth persisting with for another year. Agree with that poster that said he needs lots of movement in front of him to look dangerous. When he’s the furthest forward he seems a bit lost.

SAFMUTD

He's like the opposite of Bruno. Doesn't make any risky passes he's way to safe. We need more directness from him.

Abraxas

I got a teeny tiny bit of confidence from this game. Not because he was especially brilliant, actually I think he was the weakest of our attacking players, bar Weggy.

But purely from the perspective that he actually looked a little more dangerous late on as we began to counter with even more freedom. Usually he is gassed by 50-60 mins when starting and you can more or less stick a fork in him as far as contributions. But today he actually threatened to do something later.

Not great, but eh..maybe a small building block. Feels like we keep grasping for these straws with Sancho, however.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
What's really weird that is that it was decision-making in the final third that truly set him apart in Borussia. And now he's horribly indecisive.

McTerminator

Jadon ‘check-back’ Sancho. The lad is infuriating and shows no signs of improvement.

1v1 with a defender? Check-back

Clear ball on to put us in behind? Check-back

In on goal? Check-back

Open net? Check-back

He will succeed somewhere, but we should sell him while people still believe that. Selling him for £50m and him succeeding back in Dortmund or Chelsea is much better than keeping him with his current level of play and on his current wages.

McTerminator

Sancho was ok against a poor Forest team. He looks such an ordinary PL player. Early chance but several Forest defenders between him and the goal, his shot lacked conviction. Another shot late on that was off-target. One key pass. Dispossessed twice, 75% pass completion.
How many of those passes were forward? I swear the lad is allergic to facing goal.

Abraxas

Jadon ‘check-back’ Sancho. The lad is infuriating and shows no signs of improvement.

In on goal? Check-back

Open net? Check-back

He will succeed somewhere, but we should sell him while people still believe that. Selling him for £50m and him succeeding back in Dortmund or Chelsea is much better than keeping him with his current level of play and on his current wages.
I think you have identified the problem. Who is stumping up 50 million quid and his wages on this level of performance? Not even the most diehard believer in his talent is going to take such a risky and financially imprudent decision.

Our options are to stick with him and try everything to extract better performances, or probably to loan him out in an attempt to revitalise him and maybe put a rocket up his arse. Probably subsidizing his wages in the process. Or just sell at a stupidly big loss, probably while also paying him off.

Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic but there are just far more appealing ways to spend 50 million quid, and if you count his salary you could be getting towards 100 million to own his signature over a contract.

Baneofthegame

Probably the odd one out but he looked a lot faster/sharper today and made some good runs off the ball, still can't beat a man and indecisive in the final third though.

Shark

@NotShark
How is he so awful, it's incredible. Just hasn't adapted to the pace of the league at all.

McTerminator

I think you have identified the problem. Who is stumping up 50 million quid and his wages on this level of performance? Not even the most diehard believer in his talent is going to take such a risky and financially imprudent decision.

Our options are to stick with him and try everything to extract better performances, or probably to loan him out in an attempt to revitalise him and maybe put a rocket up his arse. Probably subsidizing his wages in the process. Or just sell at a stupidly big loss, probably while also paying him off.

Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic but there are just far more appealing ways to spend 50 million quid, and if you count his salary you could be getting towards 100 million to own his signature over a contract.
It’s a fair point, but with his wages I’d take 30m and I think that’d still be the right choice for United. I’m sure Chelsea would pay that, I hope.

Pickle85

Said it in the match day thread but thought he was more promising than in ages. Seemed less terrified, some nice interplay with players around him and he seemed more willing to do something other than move the ball on straight away. Not an amazing performance but definitely a step in the right direction for me.

humdinger

He wasn’t terrible but wasn’t very good. He just doesn’t take risks or take control of the situation. With his amount of talent and the likes of Rashford missing he should be stepping up, demanding the ball and trying to make things happen but he just defers to everyone else. Very frustrating to watch.

Antony gets so much grief but at least he gives it a good go.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
He did plenty that was good today, particularly in the second half. Not a coincidence that he looks better with Martial around. That kind of interplay around the box suits him and a run in the team for the 2 of them, Bruno and Erikson would bring the best out of him I think.

lex talionis

Significant progress, now only lacking end product. We’ve got a decent LW/RW option on our hands.

Dominos

The amount of times he loses the ball getting tackled or messing up a 5 yard or 10 yard pass is infuriating, from someone who was meant to be one of our better technical players. Lack of goals/assists is a problem but at the very least make sure your ball retention is good, but he can't even manage that.

cletus7

Said it in the match day thread but thought he was more promising than in ages. Seemed less terrified, some nice interplay with players around him and he seemed more willing to do something other than move the ball on straight away. Not an amazing performance but definitely a step in the right direction for me.
You’ve got to bear in mind that most of the team looked good today. If you set that high bar, then Sancho’s underachieved in this game too. Made some bad errors and didn’t dominate.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Has a long, long way to go but that being said he was much better than he was against sevilla

criticalanalysis

What's really weird that is that it was decision-making in the final third that truly set him apart in Borussia. And now he's horribly indecisive.
What's infuriating is that he's massively overdoing it on the ball manipulations, body feints and shifts. He's using it to buy time on the ball and in the hope that the defender commits but nobody in the league is stupid enough to do that compared his previous. Unless you have elite pace or dribbling, most defenders in the league are athletically sharp enough to know they are not getting beaten 1-on-1 in the first few yards.

All of this further compounds Sanchos' current inability to drive with the ball and make final ball passes. Defenders are not taking the bait, he's not going to burn anyone for pace over the 5 yards and he's also slowing down his own and the team's initiative by being too cute on the ball. He has decent acceleration and skill but he needs to start taking the space given even if it's half a yard. He's constantly cutting in and out, getting that space but then going back on himself, which ends up as a net negative overall.

He had more intensity compared to usual so with this low bar hopefully he can kick on with his improved work rate as he was pretty awful midweek.

Last edited:

McTerminator

Played quite well today. Huge improvement on Sevilla match.

Will never cease to amaze how so many of ye seem unable to judge/discuss a performance in a specific match on its own merits. Always so much baggage and agendas.
Nonsense, he was an absolute burden today, on merit.

He has been worse, sure. However, a polished turd is still a turd.

JB7

Feel like I watched a different player today than most people in this thread. Wtf.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Close to being a good performance I thought. Just a split second off in his decision making/execution.

arthurka

What's Aaron Lennon up to these days, might get more threat from the wing with him in the team.

Sylar

Thought his second half was much much better. Seemed to have more confidence to do a few things, like that no look behind the foot pass, he linked up well and created a good chance out wide (we really need to teach our opposite wingers to gamble for a back post tap in esp Antony).

A few times he could / should have tried an earlier pass like one to Martial to release him. He got a player booked by taking him on and beating him. I like that and it did seem like he was doing more of that today.

Eddy_JukeZ

He was much better today. Was hoping he scored at the end for a confidence boost.

Cabin Clown

Sancho would struggle to get a game with the majority of Premier League teams at the moment.

Thought he was better today but as someone previously mentioned, the bar is low.

NoPace

I don't think he played well. Forest were terrible. Did have some neat link play but apart from Maguire's terrible first 15 minutes being the closest we came to actually being in trouble, probably contributed the least to the win.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Saw a bit more fight from him. Long may it continue. In the case of him I always think it's mental than physhical.

DownRiver

People forget he had been sent to the mountains. His last however many games is his real pre-season to get his fitness up. Slowly but surely he will build on his game.

Strelok

In on goal? Check-back

Open net? Check-back

It's just so predictable atm. Put a defender on him and he'd pass back. The defenders were clearly not afraid of or worried about him. It started to look a bit like VDB. Dalot probably made more runs behind yesterday.

There's an instance he passed the ball to Bruno and just stopped standing there didn't make the run behind and only started to run after Bruno made the pass. That's not how an attacker, especially a winger should play. Even if you don't get the ball you gotta run to drag the defenders to make space for your teammates.

Anyway imo we should give him another year but tbh for me it's only because we spent 80m on him. But with Garnacho, Pellestri, Amad and probably MG next year his game time would be very limited if he keeps playing like this. Wouldn't mind if we sell him to Chelsea or Newcastle. Don't think Dortmund could afford his wages.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Decent display. I thought he got better as the game grew. But still a long way to go and he needs to work on the safe / non incisive play

Status
Not open for further replies.