Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Definitely a case of that with some people, but generally he still has a lot more to show... He has certain aspects of his game that he is doing very well and it's showing in the stats but others that he isn't doing anywhere near to how he used to at Dortmund and again, it's showing in the stats.

Sancho this season:

Here is his 20/21 season compared to the Bundesliga, what we thought we were getting:

The shots have completely dried up, the actual creation has completely dried up, and he's not involved enough in general play compared to how he used to be, but he's still elite at just getting it in the box and his around the box play. He isn't turning it into enough quality chances though. Once he starts doing that, then you'd have more people happy with him... As it is, his performances range from "invisible" to "decent", rarely having a very good one.
Yeah, he's not on the same level, no doubt about that. But I wonder how much of that is down to him joining a rather dysfunctional team after player in a very well organized one.

But you're right, he can absolutely do more. I just think the criticism is still a bit harsh because decent performances are seen as average ones because of his playing style.

Ted Lasso

Just out of curiosity, here's a short video of his performance against Villa, which are the situations you're referring to with "decision making of a child"? I wonder if there might be missing scenes.
That's missing a lot of moments from the match. One that I remember distinctly being not long after Malacia fires in a cross. Jadon running down the line on a counter and there are 3 maybe even 4 United players outnumbering Villa and he does his patented slow down and dance routine instead of sending the ball in and creating a meaningful chance.

The video you shared is also pretty bad. Looks less than bang average. Ironically I remember him being better in the game than that video at least!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Sure a dysfunctional team that is getting in to FA cup finals and winning Carabao cups.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yeah, he's not on the same level, no doubt about that. But I wonder how much of that is down to him joining a rather dysfunctional team after player in a very well organized one.

But you're right, he can absolutely do more. I just think the criticism is still a bit harsh because decent performances are seen as average ones because of his playing style.
We are still a dysfunctional this season? Seriously your favouritism on Sancho is clouding your common sense here.

Truth is, most of our "underperforming" players/attackers last season under that dysfunctional side, have made a rather decent/good/great/spectacular turn around this season under ETH. Well except Sancho of course, who is the only player in our squad who needs a few month break from football, to pick himself up or something, but doesn't seem making much improvements anyways.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

We definitely aren't dysfunctional anymore, we get them the ball in good positions regularly, the problem lies in just overly cautious decision making which for me is mainly a lack of confidence, but possibly not having the confidence to take those risks at a club like United vs a smaller club. He's reluctant to shoot and the stats show he only shoots when he has a sitter basically. He's in the box regularly, plenty of touches in the box, carries, passes... But then very low chance creation stats. That can only be because he gets there, then picks a safe option.

Sometimes I agree the criticism is harsh, but it's more because his profile, reputation, price all demand a higher level, and when he just has decent performances, it doesn't outweigh the invisible ones... Needs to have genuinely excellent ones now and then.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
We are still a dysfunctional this season? Seriously your favouritism on Sancho is clouding your common sense here.

Truth is, most of our "underperforming" players/attackers last season under that dysfunctional side, have made a rather decent/good/great/spectacular turn around this season under ETH. Well except Sancho of course, who is the only player in our squad who needs a few month break from football, to pick himself up or something, but doesn't seem making much improvements anyways.
I'd say you're a work in progress. Not dysfunctional anymore but prone to falling into old patterns now and then.

We definitely aren't dysfunctional anymore, we get them the ball in good positions regularly, the problem lies in just overly cautious decision making which for me is mainly a lack of confidence, but possibly not having the confidence to take those risks at a club like United vs a smaller club. He's reluctant to shoot and the stats show he only shoots when he has a sitter basically. He's in the box regularly, plenty of touches in the box, carries, passes... But then very low chance creation stats. That can only be because he gets there, then picks a safe option.

Sometimes I agree the criticism is harsh, but it's more because his profile, reputation, price all demand a higher level, and when he just has decent performances, it doesn't outweigh the invisible ones... Needs to have genuinely excellent ones now and then.
I get what you mean.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
When I was watching our game yesterday the German commentator mentioned rumours of a return to Dortmund (I didn’t hear if on loan or perm). He then went on to hold a speech explaining why he finds those rumours surprising as Sancho lately has been doing well. I just thought “shut up and maybe for once focus on what’s happening on the pitch”.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Those rumours have been circulating for one or two weeks already over here. I was also a bit surprised since it seems Sancho is a starting player again but they do seem reliable. Know a few Dortmund fans who are already hyped.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Brighton and Newcastle being the only notable scalp in that journey
Ofcourse it will be like that as we are talking about FA Cup, not champions league.

Newcastle and Brighton are among the top 6 performers in league this season.

SATA

I would absolutely hate to see him leave just yet. I would love to see him succeed at United and we should give him at least another season to do so under Ten Hag

OrcaFat

I thought he was alright and loved him standing up for himself and giving Bruno a bit of lip.
I have said many times that he should go to an Athletics coach and do a lot of sprint training as he is one of the slowest wide players I have ever seen.
He is getting better though.
Hey, come on. He will get all the sprint coaching he could ever want at United. We had structured sprint coaching at my Sunday league team 30 years ago.

Teja

I'd be more than happy with Rashford / Garnacho LW next season and New CF / Martial upfront.

He just needs that extra second or the ball and a little more space but he won't get that in the PL.

El-Manos

Those rumours have been circulating for one or two weeks already over here. I was also a bit surprised since it seems Sancho is a starting player again but they do seem reliable. Know a few Dortmund fans who are already hyped.
Hyped because they are linked to a player they can’t afford ? His wages have doubled since he joined, they won’t spend that in a million years and Sancho has started the last 5-7 games. We won’t be a hurry to sell unless they are willing to spend what we spent.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Hyped because they are linked to a player they can’t afford ? His wages have doubled since he joined, they won’t spend that in a million years and Sancho has started the last 5-7 games. We won’t be a hurry to sell unless they are willing to spend what we spent.
I imagine they would offer him around €16-18m annualy. If I'm not mistaken, that's what they offered him before he left for United. Of course, if you don't want to sell, there's nothing Dortmund can do. I'd also be cautious to get my hopes up as a BVB fan.

Apparently, Kehl (DoF of BVB) is in constant exchange with Sancho's agency and the reports say that Sancho wants to come back but there hasn't been any contact between the clubs. The question would be how United reacts if Sancho really wants to leave the club.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ofcourse it will be like that as we are talking about FA Cup, not champions league.

Newcastle and Brighton are among the top 6 performers in league this season.
Not really, we've had a notoriously easy run to Wembley in both domestic cups. Even by the normal domestic standards.

roonster09

Scout
Not really, we've had a notoriously easy run to Wembley in both domestic cups. Even by the normal domestic standards.
We played PL opponents in every round except one in FA Cup.

What's the normal domestic standards?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We played PL opponents in every round except one in FA Cup.

What's the normal domestic standards?
To not have a ridiculous run of fixture at home and probably facing a top 6 side (traditional or otherwise) at some point before the semi's.
Not only did we face generally beatable sides, even if it was PL ones, we had it at home comfort. All the way to Wembley.

We've had a very favorable run to both finals, I don't think that's really a debate surely?

roonster09

Scout
To not have a ridiculous run of fixture at home and probably facing a top 6 side (traditional or otherwise) at some point before the semi's.
Not only did we face generally beatable sides, even if it was PL ones, we had it at home comfort. All the way to Wembley.

We've had a very favorable run to both finals, I don't think that's really a debate surely?
Ofcourse we had relatively easy draw compared to the shit draws we always ended up in previous years but the draw we had is standard draws.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ofcourse we had relatively easy draw compared to the shit draws we always ended up in previous years but the draw we had is standard draws.
Yep I do agree there.
I'm just saying our Cup run should not be the sign of a team being or not being dysfunctional.

Back to Sancho though - I feel like he is on the cusp of getting confidence back, but he's taking too much time in mini progression milestones. He won't have forever here so he has to start performing soon.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if time has caught up with him if a bid comes in the summer.

crossy1686

career ending
They could afford him and it would even cost us money. First of all it would be player + fee, so Sancho for Bellingham plus £50m for example, of course from our side. Then on top of that we’d subsidise his wages for at least a couple of years until he eventually moved on after fooling someone else into thinking he’s a good player.

crossy1686

career ending
Yep I do agree there.
I'm just saying our Cup run should not be the sign of a team being or not being dysfunctional.

Back to Sancho though - I feel like he is on the cusp of getting confidence back, but he's taking too much time in mini progression milestones. He won't have forever here so he has to start performing soon.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if time has caught up with him if a bid comes in the summer.
Don’t do it to yourself mate

roonster09

Scout
Yep I do agree there.

Our cup run in both domestic cups along with our PL form shows we are not dysfunctional.

Also just did a quick check, last 4/5 winners faced even poor opponents before they reached Semi finals. Leicester won in 2021, they played Chelsea in finals who had laughably poor opponents till Semi finals.

All previous winners didn't face any strong team till they reached Semi Finals. Like I said, most of them had much more easy run than our FA cup road to finals (or Semi finals)

Liverpool 2022 - Shrewsbury H, Cardiff H, Norwich H, Forest A, City (N) and Chelsea
Arsenal 2020- Leeds H, Bournemouth A, Portsmouth A, SHU A, City N, Chelsea N
City 2019 - Rotherham H, Burnley H, Newport A, Swansea A, Brighton N, Watford N
Chelsea 2018 - Norwich A, Newcastle H, Hull H, Leicester A, Southampton N, ManUtd N

Chelsea 2021 - Morecambe H, Luton H, Barsley A, SHU H, City N, Leicester N

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Our cup run in both domestic cups along with our PL form shows we are not dysfunctional.

Also just did a quick check, last 4/5 winners faced even poor opponents before they reached Semi finals. Leicester won in 2021, they played Chelsea in finals who had laughably poor opponents till Semi finals.

All previous winners didn't face any strong team till they reached Semi Finals. Like I said, most of them had much more easy run than our FA cup road to finals (or Semi finals)

Liverpool 2022 - Shrewsbury H, Cardiff H, Norwich H, Forest A, City (N) and Chelsea
Arsenal 2020- Leeds H, Bournemouth A, Portsmouth A, SHU A, City N, Chelsea N
City 2019 - Rotherham H, Burnley H, Newport A, Swansea A, Brighton N, Watford N
Chelsea 2018 - Norwich A, Newcastle H, Hull H, Leicester A, Southampton N, ManUtd N

Chelsea 2021 - Morecambe H, Luton H, Barsley A, SHU H, City N, Leicester N
Along with our Premier League run, sure.
Liverpool and Arsenal at least had a major test in the semi's. Liverpool is the only one I feel that sticks out as being just as easy as ours (parking City as the N semi final game).

Worth noting Arsenal looked pretty dysfunctional in the league of 2020 but went on to win the FA Cup.

roonster09

Scout
Along with our Premier League run, sure.
Liverpool and Arsenal at least had a major test in the semi's. Liverpool is the only one I feel that sticks out as being just as easy as ours (parking City as the N semi final game).

Worth noting Arsenal looked pretty dysfunctional in the league of 2020 but went on to win the FA Cup.
They had much more easier run to SF. Also we have much better opponent in final than any of them. Like I said it's a pretty standard FA draw we had this year, which is a welcome change after years of crap draws.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They had much more easier run to SF. Also we have much better opponent in final than any of them. Like I said it's a pretty standard FA draw we had this year, which is a welcome change after years of crap draws.
Our FA cup run has been all at home which is a pretty big deal. And our SF was against a much easier opponent, as good as Brighton have been.

If you want to think that our FA cup run hasn't been relatively easier then feel free. I don't think wel get to a point we both agree on with that front.

roonster09

Scout
Our FA cup run has been all at home which is a pretty big deal. And our SF was against a much easier opponent, as good as Brighton have been.

If you want to think that our FA cup run hasn't been relatively easier then feel free. I don't think wel get to a point we both agree on with that front.
I don't know how anyone can read the list i posted and still think we had relatively easier draw. Yes Semi finals was tough for Chelsea and Arsenal but their run to SF was easy. City and Chelsea draws are just piss taking

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't know how anyone can read the list i posted and still think we had relatively easier draw. Yes Semi finals was tough for Chelsea and Arsenal but their run to SF was easy. City and Chelsea draws are just piss taking
I said we haven't really taken any major scalps in our route to the FA cup final and you've got some weird problem with it.

It's a Sancho thread, by the way

roonster09

Scout
I said we haven't really taken any major scalps in our route to the FA cup final and you've got some weird problem with it.

It's a Sancho thread, by the way
Maybe I have problem with your inability to distinguish between FA Cup and CL.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Maybe I have problem with your inability to distinguish between FA Cup and CL.
You were unable to see my original post was taking both cup runs in tandem. I was never looking at one against another. If you wanted to go on a tangent and only look at one cup run then feel free, it was never the sole origin of my point.
And it wasn't looking at the Premier League.
You were also unable to acknowledge (unless you disagreed) that Arsenal's FA Cup win was not proof that they were a functional side throughout the season. It was actually a dysfunctional side that went on a very good FA Cup run (a harder run to the final compared to us, who were blessed with home games against sides all out of the top 6 to the final).

But hey, lets move on. You at least, probably, acknowledge my point that you can't go by runs to a cup final to see whether a team is functional or not. Easy runs can happen to finals, like they have for us and like they did in previous years.

Crashoutcassius

Easy sell if we could get any money. He is one big wages too though. Could be a costly mistake. Looked incredible at Dortmund but lot of players do, they are so good at carving out counter attacks where you are 3 on 3 or 3 on 4

roonster09

Scout
But hey, lets move on. You at least, probably, acknowledge my point that you can't go by runs to a cup final to see whether a team is functional or not. Easy runs can happen to finals, like they have for us and like they did in previous years.
One poster said we aren't dysfunctional, see our cup win and finals. Obviously the logical thing to do is add that to league form rather than creating a generic "cups don't matter" thing?

Also if you want to go by that route then finishing 2nd and 3rd in PL also doesn't prove that team is good, see ManUtd under Jose and Ole.

Actual argument is "is ManUtd a dysfunctional team"? Obvious answer is no, just because Sancho is too much of a coward doesn't make us dysfunctional.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
One poster said we aren't dysfunctional, see our cup win and finals. Obviously the logical thing to do is add that to league form rather than creating a generic "cups don't matter" thing?

Also if you want to go by that route then finishing 2nd and 3rd in PL also doesn't prove that team is good, see ManUtd under Jose and Ole.
I think United were actually good under Jose when we finished 2nd, and were in a freak covid season which is an anomaly under Ole.

I just wanted to say the point about being latter stages in a cup run can't be rested on solely. I'm not sure why you're taking such a big issue with that.

roonster09

Scout
I think United were actually good under Jose when we finished 2nd, and were in a freak covid season which is an anomaly under Ole.

I just wanted to say the point about being latter stages in a cup run can't be rested on solely. I'm not sure why you're taking such a big issue with that.
I replied to that post because we all watch same games and we all know how well we have done in league. So my assumption is no one thinks cup run alone proves anything, it's always taken along with league form.

Also no, Jose 2nd season was poor performance wise, especially in second half. Our underlying numbers were very poor, second half of the season was such a drag.

Status
Not open for further replies.