Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That piece of skill to beat a man and pass to play Eriksen in was lovely

wangyu

He would be ok if he had cost 30 million. I expect wizardry for 90 million, especially in the 2nd season. Anyway he is not my type of player, I prefer a dribbler over a short passer.

Unlikely lad

Encouraged by his improvement. It was never going to be an on/off thing, he’s clearly getting better.

He has to keep building on this though, still lacking overall at the moment.

BorisManUtd

I was pissed off with his performance at Sevilla but since then he's been decent. Good cameo vs Brighton and decent in last 2 games as well.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Sacrifice arguably our best player Bruno for a player who has been largely ineffectual for 2 years here? Would be terrible management
Arguably yeah. Bruno has been good to great this season again but he also had a lot of stinkers in between and last season and the season before quite a lot of horrorshock games too. Just read the thread here to freshen up your memory.. He could definitely do with some competition and we could do with more of a system player who can keep the ball better and dribble. That's not to say he should start over him but give him competition, because frankly Fernandes has been untouchable when he shoudnt in his very up and down form over years and number of games he should be saved.. Also inevitably there will be an injury.

Cathy Ferguson

Workrate is improving but still limited end product. He was up against old man Young and never really threatened to go past him. Garnacho can't be back soon enough.

The United

Arguably yeah. Bruno has been good to great this season again but he also had a lot of stinkers in between and last season and the season before quite a lot of horrorshock games too. Just read the thread here to freshen up your memory.. He could definitely do with some competition and we could do with more of a system player who can keep the ball better and dribble. That's not to say he should start over him but give him competition, because frankly Fernandes has been untouchable when he shoudnt in his very up and down form over years and number of games he should be saved.. Also inevitably there will be an injury.
Bruno is currently the system player that ETH has right now.

Dempsey19

Think Garnacho takes his place when he's fully fit. Hes much more exciting and has pace to burn, also never afraid to take on someone.

Dve

Encouraged by his improvement. It was never going to be an on/off thing, he’s clearly getting better.

He has to keep building on this though, still lacking overall at the moment.
Yes, that's my take as well. I think the goal he scored in the penalty shoot-out did him well, cause his last two matches he has looked a bit more confident. Has to build on it though if he wants to start games next season as I expect us to sign a striker and put Rashford back on the left - although I have started to like Rashford more as a nr 9 this season. There is potential in Sancho - Rashford - Antony with Fernandes behind.

UDontMessWith24

Workrate is improving but still limited end product. He was up against old man Young and never really threatened to go past him. Garnacho can't be back soon enough.
?
Would have had 3 goal involvements on another day. Assist to Rashford, assist to Casemiro and a telling ball to Eriksen who had a layup of an assist but scuffed the square ball.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Not bad yesterday. He wasn’t searing fast at Dortmund, but I wonder what the feck has happened to his speed. He does look like he’s actually slow now but has had no serious injuries. I think he would be better with a passing midfield and technical center forward to play off as all of his good work is in combination. He’s generally better when Eriksen plays.

meamth

I feel like he was let down by teammates who wasted very good dribble or pass by him.

I'd reckon if they all finished those movements, Sancho would've have impacted more and influenced the game. That's the core of his style of play.

Blood Mage

He was fine against Villa. But I worry that's his top level in the PL, just fine. We need better.

Nicolarra90

Probably confidence, he hesitates a lot for us even when he has time.

At Dortmund he was making split second decisions, and making the right decisions.
And Weghorst was making double figures in the same bundesliga those years.
It seems that defending isn't as tight in Germany, spaces are wider, therefore easier to attack.

Jam

And Weghorst was making double figures in the same bundesliga those years.
It seems that defending isn't as tight in Germany, spaces are wider, therefore easier to attack.
Wouldn’t even say that.

Just go back and watch videos, he’d have two players right on top of him and he’d receive and pass instantly, or play out away from them. Here he can receive the ball in yards of space and just dawdle on the ball and walk into two men.

It’s easy to blame “lol farmers league” but it isn’t always the case. Sancho himself is playing differently.

Reactions: Fortitude

Bondi77

I thought he was alright and loved him standing up for himself and giving Bruno a bit of lip.
I have said many times that he should go to an Athletics coach and do a lot of sprint training as he is one of the slowest wide players I have ever seen.
He is getting better though.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
He was out for a long time due to unusual issues. I think he needs time and support. Fans have to be patient with him I think. We all know how good he can be.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He was OK i think, but that's about it. I still think he does more in possession than Antony does but seems to get a lot more flak (presumably because of his lack of aggression without the ball)
Yeah that's a good observation. For me he's very frustrating because of his skills, and because he can't translate that to regular output in goals / assists (he is contributing recently though).

One thing that really annoys me is his off the ball work. It's "defending for an alibi" - he closes players down but with no intention to make a tackle. I actually think he prefers to avoid physical contact and that is holding him back. I like how Antony is always happy to throw himself around and fight for it.
Sancho has been better in that regard yesterday mind you.

stevoc

Think Garnacho takes his place when he's fully fit. Hes much more exciting and has pace to burn, also never afraid to take on someone.
Once everyone's fit I'd imagine Rashford and Garnacho will be competing on the left with Antony and Sancho rotating on the right.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I thought he was alright and loved him standing up for himself and giving Bruno a bit of lip.
That clip is very funny and sums him up. He tells him to feck off in the most polite way imaginable - get some intensity and fire!!! I still have no doubt he will be class and ETH will get the best out of him but we won’t see him truly shine here until he stops playing within himself and deferring to others. He’s slowly improving but still playing like the club is too big for him.

julianfr

After looking forward to this guy turning it around I'm not convinced he'll make it here after all this time.

He's clearly a confidence player but the swing from lack to abundance is taking way too long. I'm not sure what personal issues he went through to get to that point but we need to start seeing more of an improvement.

I get that he's human, but we also need a player.

Reactions: Fortitude

Silas

Might be harsh, but unless he really pulls it out the bag in the remaining games, I’d entertain offers, regardless of him going from looking shite to decent recently. We’ve got Garnacho on the left as an option behind Rashford and Sancho barely plays on the right these days.

Would rather we put time into Garnacho, Diallo and Pellistri and used Sancho’s wages to invest in the rest of the squad.

Ted Lasso

Often has the decision making of a child just starting out in the first team. Easy enough to change especially with a good manager and the form will come.

zookeeper

He would be ok if he had cost 30 million. I expect wizardry for 90 million, especially in the 2nd season. Anyway he is not my type of player, I prefer a dribbler over a short passer.
Unfortunately you dont get consistent wizardry for even 90 million these days it seems. But the price tag is probably weighing on his shoulders still.. Realisticly with more development, more consistent displays and better decision making, he’ll be a good player that can be used in x amount of games, as rotation and/or tactically.
Still hoping he regains his «Dortmund X-factor» - But only time will tell.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Didn't see the game but watched the highlights and also saw a video with all his touches. I'm more and more convinced many fans simply don't like his way of playing. That was a decent performance and he would have gotten an assist if Casemiro would have aimed a little bit lower.

I have the feeling people just want a winger who runs at the full back all the time because that's what they are used to and want to see, regardless if it is efficient or not. But that's not a means in itself, is it? I lso don't get the people claiming he's so slow. There wasn't one situation in which it would have made sense to accelerate to top speed. He also beats his defenders, there were three or four times he did that, but he doesn't rely on pace doing so which is actually something positive.

If he was at Arsenal or City, he would be much more appreciated, IMO. I hope United fans grow to like this style of football. It is not only typically Sancho but also typically Ten Hag.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
@Zehner, didn't watch much of Sancho before he came to United but was expecting a different player based on what was said. I know EtH has said he's happy with the way Sancho's been playing. Should we adjust expectations a little bit perhaps?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Didn't see the game but watched the highlights and also saw a video with all his touches. I'm more and more convinced many fans simply don't like his way of playing. That was a decent performance and he would have gotten an assist if Casemiro would have aimed a little bit lower.

I have the feeling people just want a winger who runs at the full back all the time because that's what they are used to and want to see, regardless if it is efficient or not. But that's not a means in itself, is it? I lso don't get the people claiming he's so slow. There wasn't one situation in which it would have made sense to accelerate to top speed. He also beats his defenders, there were three or four times he did that, but he doesn't rely on pace doing so which is actually something positive.

If he was at Arsenal or City, he would be much more appreciated, IMO. I hope United fans grow to like this style of football. It is not only typically Sancho but also typically Ten Hag.
Definitely a case of that with some people, but generally he still has a lot more to show... He has certain aspects of his game that he is doing very well and it's showing in the stats but others that he isn't doing anywhere near to how he used to at Dortmund and again, it's showing in the stats.

Sancho this season:

Here is his 20/21 season compared to the Bundesliga, what we thought we were getting:

The shots have completely dried up, the actual creation has completely dried up, and he's not involved enough in general play compared to how he used to be, but he's still elite at just getting it in the box and his around the box play. He isn't turning it into enough quality chances though. Once he starts doing that, then you'd have more people happy with him... As it is, his performances range from "invisible" to "decent", rarely having a very good one.

Devil You Know

If Mkhitaryan was Kagawa 2.0, then Sancho is Kagawa 3.0.

All three thrived in the time and space they got in Bundesliga, but then struggled with the physicality of the Premier League. I think it's obvious that they're all intelligent players. The problem is they all seem to want an extra second to make their decision. Just watching that clip posted above, there aren't really any egregious mistakes. But what you consistently see is the cogs in Sancho's brain turning a little bit too slowly. He should be releasing the ball sooner and making up his mind quicker.

By way of comparison, Garnacho already has that instant decision making to game. Even Anthony (who's been underwhelming in different ways) has it, which make me more optimistic about him ultimately making it.

It's a shame, because Sancho is 95% of a top player. The issue is that the missing 5% is in the crucial area that marks the difference between being world class in Germany and ordinary in England.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
@Zehner, didn't watch much of Sancho before he came to United but was expecting a different player based on what was said. I know EtH has said he's happy with the way Sancho's been playing. Should we adjust expectations a little bit perhaps?
I don't know. Sancho was never a Vinicius Junior type of player who beats defenders with pace so if that was expected, then people should definitely adjust their expectations. Sancho is quick and has decent top speed when he receives a through ball for instance but he rarely uses it when dribbling. The best comparison is probably the older version of Messi who doesn't have the burst of pace anymore but dribbles through body feints and plays one twos to beat players. Sancho is obviously no Messi but he is great in tight spaces and at progressing the ball in crowded areas.

But I also think people have the wrong idea how a winger should play to a certain extent. Look at Liverpool's first goal against Tottenham for instance. Salah passes it back to Arnold instead of challenging the defender because he sees that a dribble would lead nowhere. Sancho would be criticized for always "passing it back" in that scene. I sometimes feel people want him to run down blind alleys and to play more headless. The times in which wingers challenged their fullbacks and then wipped one cross after another into the box are gone. Especially when you try to implement a possession oriented system like Ten Hag. Recycle the ball rather than risk losing it if there's not enough to gain. Usually there are saver options to progress the ball than dribbling. You do that until you find a situation in which it makes sense.

gza the genius

Most of the criticism so far of Sancho has been deserved but I thought he played reasonably well yesterday. I thought he was probably our best attacker before he came off, the ball to Eriksen was great and he had a couple other moments where he could have been involved in a goal. I think he appeared to be working harder defensively too and was good at receiving the ball and taking it in to Villa's area. You would still expect more from him based on his time at Dortmund and what he cost but it was still a pretty good performance overall.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
If Mkhitaryan was Kagawa 2.0, then Sancho is Kagawa 3.0.

All three thrived in the time and space they got in Bundesliga, but then struggled with the physicality of the Premier League. I think it's obvious that they're all intelligent players. The problem is they all seem to want an extra second to make their decision. Just watching that clip posted above, there aren't really any egregious mistakes. But what you consistently see is the cogs in Sancho's brain turning a little bit too slowly. He should be releasing the ball sooner and making up his mind quicker.

By way of comparison, Garnacho already has that instant decision making to game. Even Anthony (who's been underwhelming in different ways) has it, which make me more optimistic about him ultimately making it.

It's a shame, because Sancho is 95% of a top player. The issue is that the missing 5% is in the crucial area that marks the difference between being world class in Germany and ordinary in England.
I think it's rather that the teams they played in in England aren't on the same wavelength. Sancho has really quick decision making. Spaces in Germany are usually tighter in the midfield areas because less teams sit back and try to press instead. Dortmund players are used to teams that work as a collective. Building triangles, positioning, build up patterns, you name it. If you isolate them, they'll struggle. But United as a team is improving quickly on that front under Ten Hag.

I think for instance a Bernardo Silva would've struggled at Solskjaer's United, too. Players like this flourish in systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.