Jadon Sancho goes to Dortmund ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
This has gone quiet. Any news as to where he might end up?
Kicker are reporting that Dortmund is very interested in signing him and that he already visited the club this summer.

Classical Mechanic

German clubs eager to get hold of young English talent at the moment. The upsurge in quality and the potential resale value to English clubs is making them attractive.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
More English young talent should go abroad. It can only be a good thing for the English NT.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We should have made a real effort to get him. This may be the age group in which we need to get future world beaters.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We should have made a real effort to get him. This may be the age group in which we need to get future world beaters.
I hope we tried, there was a article from the MEN stating we were trying hard to convince him to join us.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Of course Dortmund get him. Well that's them making £75m profit in a few years.
Not done yet, but that could happen a lot more in the future. Top young English talent going abroad for playing time, cause they are simply not valued in England. Solanke already left Chelsea for Liverpool, who has a coach known for his youth development, but those are rare in England. Would you rather play Champions League for Dortmund, Napoli, Amsterdam or Championship for Bristol, Millwall, Fulham and such. For the clubs it´s a no brainer, cause as you say they can sell them back to England for a HUGE profit.

On the bright side, all the English clubs can then pay themselves the youth academy fee of 4%, when they buy the player back for €100M.

The only negative for Germany is that the English national team might benefit from this. :lol:

TsuWave

Wow, Dortmund? Why couldn't/didn't we convince him to join us?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
German clubs eager to get hold of young English talent at the moment. The upsurge in quality and the potential resale value to English clubs is making them attractive.
just a thought but would he actually qualify as being homegrown if he goes there...
You know like Dier isnt homegrown even though he is English - because if not surely that hits the resale value (to English clubs)

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
just a thought but would he actually qualify as being homegrown if he goes there...
You know like Dier isnt homegrown even though he is English - because if not surely that hits the resale value (to English clubs)
Yeah he would. He's been trained in England since a young age. Rule is to be trained at an English club for 3 years before they turn 21. Dier was in Portugal for his early life.

TsuWave

Easier route into Dortmund's first team and apparently Sancho didn't like it in Manchester.
eh, it's not like we are full of quality in the wide areas but if he didn't like it up there then I guess it becomes a really hard battle.

Manchester needs to go through a development phase like Dubai or Hong Kong or something, I mean if even British talent are starting to turn their noses at it. It never made much sense to me how much of this country's economical and cultural riches are located/centred/focused in London, I mean I get it from a historical point of view but a bigger effort to spread the wealth should be done, you'd think its smarter to have more than one cultural/commercial hub that are relatively equal in terms of importance..(I hope I articulated this right)

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Yeah he would. He's been trained in England since a young age. Rule is to be trained at an English club for 3 years before they turn 21. Dier was in Portugal for his early life.
Perhaps my understanding is wrong but I now thought that

. Currently, to be classified as homegrown one must be on an English team for at least three years before the age of twenty-one[
But that this was on professional terms (i.e. being there from 13 to 16 would not count) - i.e. if he goes to Dortmund at 16 to 19 he will be classified as a German player not English (for homegrown rules)

cyberman

Why are people saying he's joined Dortmund? Youth players go on a tour of clubs every other week

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Young English talents don't move abroad enough because;

a) prefer staying in their own comfort zone. They have everything here and no reason to leave.
b) they get payed a lot more than they would abroad which leads to...
c) most foreign clubs don't want to match the wages they would be on in England.

Reminds of our 2011 FAYC winning team. I remember thinking that players like Tom Thorpe and Larnell Cole could have reached a higher level by now if they went abroad to a another European League when they where 19/20. I'm sure there would have been no shortage of suitors.

It's even harder to convince a 16/17 year old to uproot abroad and for less money plus more challenging circumstances. I don't think a lot of working class English boys are open minded enough to see the long term benefits of a challenge like that. Not when everything is handed to them on a plate like here.

Anyway Sancho doesn't like Manchester, so wants to move to Dortmund off all cities instead!?! Doesn't add up to me.

Damien

Staff

But that this was on professional terms (i.e. being there from 13 to 16 would not count) - i.e. if he goes to Dortmund at 16 to 19 he will be classified as a German player not English (for homegrown rules)
Didn't think of that. Would be daft IMO if it ruled him out as he had been training in the academy system of both Watford and City for other three years combined.

Craig Ward

I'd have thought most top English teams could give him what he wants and prevent him leaving to Dortmund. That's two top English youth players that have moved abroad if this happens. Ridiculous.
Why is it ridiculous?

Hardly any British players move abroad and make a success of themselves, something I've always found strange.

By this ridiculous comment you suggest its absurd for British players to move abroad and develop but absolutely fine for every academy and club down to league 2 to be littered with foreigners.

Dortmund have an excellent record with young players, well renowned around Europe. Maybe he should sign for Chelsea, go on a million loan and develop into nothing.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
All I see are stories saying that Dortmund is very interested in him, nothing to suggest that he has decided to go there.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert

No, it's probably fine, surely non-league players would also count as homegrown despite not playing under professional terms?

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Feck. Was holding out hope he'd come here.
He may after a year there. I think its good experience for him, dortmund give talented youngsters chances, so he will get them if he goes there.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Why is it ridiculous?

Hardly any British players move abroad and make a success of themselves, something I've always found strange.

By this ridiculous comment you suggest its absurd for British players to move abroad and develop but absolutely fine for every academy and club down to league 2 to be littered with foreigners.

Dortmund have an excellent record with young players, well renowned around Europe. Maybe he should sign for Chelsea, go on a million loan and develop into nothing.
Ridiculous that no club in England is able to offer him what he wants, yet a German club is. A top German club too. He's an amazing talent, it's just depressing that our cubs can't give time to that sort of talent.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Has returned to training with First Team at City.
Of course this may mean nothing but the elevation of Phil Foden to the squad must give Sancho food for thought.

dbs235

eh, it's not like we are full of quality in the wide areas but if he didn't like it up there then I guess it becomes a really hard battle.

Manchester needs to go through a development phase like Dubai or Hong Kong or something, I mean if even British talent are starting to turn their noses at it. It never made much sense to me how much of this country's economical and cultural riches are located/centred/focused in London, I mean I get it from a historical point of view but a bigger effort to spread the wealth should be done, you'd think its smarter to have more than one cultural/commercial hub that are relatively equal in terms of importance..(I hope I articulated this right)
Manchester is crane city at the moment if you've been recently.

Damien

Staff
Has returned to training with First Team at City.
Of course this may mean nothing but the elevation of Phil Foden to the squad must give Sancho food for thought.
Is that for definite? Don't think I can see him in the training videos

Think you need to loan Brahim to Girona. I know Sam Lee has said he'd probably only go if another forward is brought in but I can't see him getting much game time and think he needs some regular first team football somewhere. Girona would be perfect with the City players there.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Eagle eyed BM posters have spotted him on that video.
I think that the intention for Brahim is maybe keep him here until January and consider him for early LC matches and as cover.

dbs235

Nowhere near the levels I had in mind. I live in Manchester
There's a lot in the pipeline too. Nowhere the levels of Asian cities because European cities aren't like that. Most European cities are made up of their historical low rise buildings with a small business district of towers. Not to turn this into a construction thread :lol:

TsuWave

There's a lot in the pipeline too. Nowhere the levels of Asian cities because European cities aren't like that. Most European cities are made up of their historical low rise buildings with a small business district of towers. Not to turn this into a construction thread :lol:
:lol: my reference to the asian cities was more in terms of how much they changed in a relatively short amount of time, not that manchester should look like them. yes, there is some development going on in manchester but not to the level that would considerably change and improve the lifestyle of those that live there, at least it doesn't seem like that to me. Hopefully in 10/15 years its a much better place to live. I think it also could do with an explosion of people, city is just way too quiet. also, all they seem to build are car parks :lol: plus too many shops/businesses close and the locations turn into bookies

automaticflare

I'd have thought most top English teams could give him what he wants and prevent him leaving to Dortmund. That's two top English youth players that have moved abroad if this happens. Ridiculous.
Why is that a problem? The English teams are awful at developing players. Young players from Enurope often move to England. Nothing wrong with the other way around. Need to stop thinking England is the be all and end all of football destinations

Status
Not open for further replies.