Jadon Sancho goes to Dortmund ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaldinho1

Fair play - I kind of wonder why any top young players would go to City at the moment. I get they may have state of the art facilities but they'll get nowhere near the first team.

If I'm not mistaken, last season Kelechi Iheanacho was the only academy talent that played at all...he's now been sold

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
In what way, out of interest? A few people seem to be saying this and it doesn't seem obvious why.
Since Pochettino took over the likes of Walker, Rose, Alli, Kane, Dier, Davies, Trippier have either improved significantly and become at the very least decent squad players in a top 4 club. With Walkers-Peters and Winks on the edge. All those players except for Davies (Welsh) are English.

Only concern from an England perspective is that spend too long at Spurs and you'll probably become a player renowned at bottling.

Boycott

Since Pochettino took over the likes of Walker, Rose, Alli, Kane, Dier, Davies, Trippier have either improved significantly and become at the very least decent squad players in a top 4 club. With Walkers-Peters and Winks on the edge. All those players except for Davies (Welsh) are English.

Only concern from an England perspective is that spend too long at Spurs and you'll probably become a player renowned at bottling.
Yep and also the Southampton lads - Shaw, Chambers, Clyne, Lallana, Ward Prowse, Rodriguez got their big break in the PL under him. There was a stat not too long ago that most of the recent England debutants in the last two years [?] have been coached by him.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
He's wrongly thinking you could provide him with a good platform to move on to a big club. Should have gone to Dortmund.
There's always a weakly-proffered excuse from some opposition fans every time Spurs sign a talented player.

Such fans can't bear to admit that Spurs are an attractive club to join for a whole variety of reasons. Instead they bang on about 'slave wages', or an 'imminent mass exodus' of players' .... which leaves them baffled, confused and scratching around for excuses when very talented prospects like Sancho or Davinson Sanchez sign up.

FlawlessThaw

Yep and also the Southampton lads - Shaw, Chambers, Clyne, Lallana, Ward Prowse, Rodriguez got their big break in the PL under him. There was a stat not too long ago that most of the recent England debutants in the last two years [?] have been coached by him.
Good shout, England should try and get him in after Southgate.

djdhrubs

Absolutely. His whole approach is to use a high energy game and the best people to do that are the kids. The PL clubs he's managed so far are clubs where you can do that with no real expectation of having to win trophies or no huge necessity to finish high up the table.

I know that sounds like a back handed compliment but it's not meant to be. Other managers (of similar clubs to Southampton and Spurs) don't do that. But there's no doubt that if you're a young player, it's a good idea to go to a club managed by Poch.

Mind you, if Poch leaves in a year or two those young players who decide to join because of him may not be too pleased. And leaving Spurs ain't easy when you're tricked into signing a new 5 year contract every other day.

:D

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
There's always a weakly-proffered excuse from some opposition fans every time Spurs sign a talented player.

Such fans can't bear to admit that Spurs are an attractive club to join for a whole variety of reasons. Instead they bang on about 'slave wages', or an 'imminent mass exodus' of players' .... which leaves them baffled, confused and scratching around for excuses when very talented prospects like Sancho or Davinson Sanchez sign up.
Getting Sanchez is not some sort of a coup. He wasn't really linked with a huge number of clubs but then again it's the same sort of boasting you showed after signing Paulinho. Nobody is scratching their heads over that move because Tottenham are exactly the sort of club you would expect him to go to.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The source is a Spurs ITK from what I gather. The speculation before this supposed ITK claimed he was Spurs bound was, Spurs and Arsenal were the teams in for him.

Last edited:

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Mere facts. The reality is the only player you've brought through your own ranks to become a regular first teamer is Harry Kane. This boy Sancho is from London isn't he?
Trump would love you :lol:

Rose also played for our academy team, tho' he joined it late. But in any case it's not just about the academy, not just about the first XI. It's also about the age at which a player joins, how they progress from there and the wider squad.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Ridiculous that no club in England is able to offer him what he wants, yet a German club is. A top German club too. He's an amazing talent, it's just depressing that our cubs can't give time to that sort of talent.
perhaps what he wants is to move without a compensation fee set by the FA committee - like ziki fryers did to us...
that said it seems spurs and arsenal most strongly linked with him at the moment

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Getting Sanchez is not some sort of a coup. He wasn't really linked with a huge number of clubs but then again it's the same sort of boasting you showed after signing Paulinho. Nobody is scratching their heads over that move because Tottenham are exactly the sort of club you would expect him to go to.
He was strongly linked to Barca (for example), but reportedly turned them down because of greater chances to play at Spurs. And from what I can gather he's widely seen as one of the top prospects across the whole of Europe.

It's hardly "boasting" to say that Spurs are an attractive club to join for the likes of Sancho and Sanchez. It's more a statement of the obvious that you, with your blinkers set determinedly in place, refuse to accept.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Pochettino is probably the best manager for young players right now at a top 6 club so a good choice all round.
Along with Klopp then; he gives young players a chance too.

Point is they don't really have much of a choice

cyberman

Easier path to the first 11. Can't blame him for taking the easier route.

FlawlessThaw

Along with Klopp then; he gives young players a chance too.

Point is they don't really have much of a choice
Pochettino has a better record in England regarding English players which was whom I was speaking about in particular. But yeah Klopp has been around for a shorter period and Alexander-Arnold looks good so far.

acnumber9

Trump would love you :lol:

Rose also played for our academy team, tho' he joined it late. But in any case it's not just about the academy, not just about the first XI. It's also about the age at which a player joins, how they progress from there and the wider squad.
They are facts though. You can jump around them all you want. Perhaps you could address what I said that wasn't factually true? You won't of course.

Spurs are definitely a good club for progressing as Pochettino is clearly a very good coach. The examples I've pointed out aren't evidence of that at all though. One of them has only played once for God's sake.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Well, this is not true at all. I'm fairly sure all of above with the exception of Chambers had lots games already at Premier League level before Poch arrived.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Well, this is not true at all. I'm fairly sure all of above with the exception of Chambers had lots games already at Premier League level before Poch arrived.
Yes. Shaw was regular from 2012-13 season when Adkins was manager.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He was strongly linked to Barca (for example), but reportedly turned them down because of greater chances to play at Spurs. And from what I can gather he's widely seen as one of the top prospects across the whole of Europe.

It's hardly "boasting" to say that Spurs are an attractive club to join for the likes of Sancho and Sanchez. It's more a statement of the obvious that you, with your blinkers set determinedly in place, refuse to accept.
He did not turn down Barca to join Spurs.

I agree Spurs are currently an attractive club for young players.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Yep. PL games prior to Pochettino's arrival (he became manager for 23rd game):

Clyne - 19
Rodriguez - 19
Lallana - 16 (picked up an injury... besides he would have been 24 then)
Shaw - 13
Ward-Prowse - 8
Chambers - 0

Boycott

Nope. Southampton were promoted in 2012 and sacked Adkins midway through their first season back. Lallana, Rodriguez, Clyne and Shaw had what......half a season worth of games at most in the PL while Chambers and Ward Prowse were promoted by Pochettino the following season.

Boycott

Yep. PL games prior to Pochettino's arrival (he became manager for 23rd game):

Clyne - 19
Rodriguez - 19
Lallana - 16 (picked up an injury... besides he would have been 24 then)
Shaw - 13
Ward-Prowse - 8
Chambers - 0
That's not 'lots of games' in the PL though which was the point.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
That's not 'lots of games' in the PL though which was the point.
It was their first season in the PL though. Clyne, Rodriguez and Lallana were already mainstays of the Southampton team so I think it is a bit much to say Pochettino gave those three their big break.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Nope. Southampton were promoted in 2012 and sacked Adkins midway through their first season back. Lallana, Rodriguez, Clyne and Shaw had what......half a season worth of games at most in the PL while Chambers and Ward Prowse were promoted by Pochettino the following season.
He did not give them a 'big' break. Lallana had been a regular for absolute ages for a start. They were all part of the first team picture before Poch arrived. Clyne, Rodriguez, Lallana and Shaw were starters. Only Ward Prowse wasn't a regular starter before Poch but had plenty of games.

Boycott

It was their first season in the PL though. Clyne, Rodriguez and Lallana were already mainstays of the Southampton team so I think it is a bit much to say Pochettino gave those three their big break.
Fair but my initial point was about Pochettino taking them up to the next level as individuals and as a team under his coaching. Being good Championship players and merely staying up in the top flight is one thing but in his one and only full season he guided them to 8th place with Lallana, Shaw and Chambers moving on to bigger clubs, + Lovren and Lambert got moves in that summer.

Aside from Dier and Alli, the players @FlawlessThaw also mentioned were already at Spurs or in one or two cases playing in the Prem but how many of them could you envisage playing for a title contending / Champions League team only a couple of years ago? I would say that's the most impressive factor as he's vastly improved players he already has - the fundamental point of coaching - which means his clubs haven't had to buy too many players. When he's bought he has got more wrong than right and that's another discussion.

FlawlessThaw

It probably is a bit much to say he gave them their first big break but his impact on their performance is clear I'd say. I have doubts about Pochettino's ability when it comes to transfers but his coaching and the way he has bought players along in their careers has been quite impactful.

Boycott

I'd say getting capped for England when you're playing for Southampton is a big break

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Where's the source? Everyone is very sure at this moment.

It's a great move for him. Not a single better manager than Pochettino for youngsters in PL.
I was told by someone well placed, no idea where Glaston heard but could be a similar place given we posted within a minute of each other.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
They are facts though. You can jump around them all you want. Perhaps you could address what I said that wasn't factually true? You won't of course.

Spurs are definitely a good club for progressing as Pochettino is clearly a very good coach. The examples I've pointed out aren't evidence of that at all though. One of them has only played once for God's sake.
I've already said that when Rose arrived he was playing in our academy team for a short while ... moreover Alli was only 18, when he signed for Spurs, Walker was only 19 and Dier only 20. All four of those players were brought through into our first XI. Including Kane that's 5 young players brought into our regular first XI ... which I'd say is an outstanding record for a top 4 club.

TheReligion

Abusive
He's from London and wants to move back down.

Good prospect but isn't going to win Spurs the PL or CL, much like Sanchez.

TheReligion

Abusive
I've already said that when Rose arrived he was playing in our academy team for a short while ... moreover Alli was only 18, when he signed for Spurs, Walker was only 19 and Dier only 20. All four of those players were brought through into our first XI. Including Kane that's 5 young players brought into our regular first XI ... which I'd say is an outstanding record for a top 4 club.
De Gea, Rashford, Martial..

Could add Shaw, Pogba, Lingard, Jones..

Spurs have a good record too mind

acnumber9

But what wasn't factually true? I never initially said he didn't at one time play for your academy after you bought him.

And it took him until he was 23 to get close to establishing himself. He's not exactly an example of great youth production and how they get their chance when he needed to go to Sunderland on loan before he got a regular game.

Walker was so long ago I could just as easily cite Rafael as a reason United are great at promoting youth. You'd probably laugh that out of town though. I could also throw in Martial, Shaw, Smalling, Jones, De Gea for United along with Jesse Lingard, Axel Taunzebe and Demetri Mitchell on your criteria. Mitchell and Taunzebe have at least played more football than Carter-Vickers and Walker-Peters. I'm sure the same would apply to several other clubs too.

Once again you're inflating a grander notion of Tottenham than is the reality. Using the examples of two players with 5 appearances between them isn't proof of a great youth development record. And using two examples from around 8 years ago isn't either. Ultimately it boils down to Harry Kane and two players you signed from other clubs. There are many clubs who could make the same bold claims and some far greater.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
But what wasn't factually true? I never initially said he didn't at one time play for your academy after you bought him.

And it took him until he was 23 to get close to establishing himself. He's not exactly an example of great youth production and how they get their chance when he needed to go to Sunderland on loan before he got a regular game.

Walker was so long ago I could just as easily cite Rafael as a reason United are great at promoting youth. You'd probably laugh that out of town though. I could also throw in Martial, Shaw, Smalling, Jones, De Gea for United along with Jesse Lingard, Axel Taunzebe and Demetri Mitchell on your criteria. Mitchell and Taunzebe have at least played more football than Carter-Vickers and Walker-Peters. I'm sure the same would apply to several other clubs too.

Once again you're inflating a grander notion of Tottenham than is the reality. Using the examples of two players with 5 appearances between them isn't proof of a great youth development record. And using two examples from around 8 years ago isn't either. Ultimately it boils down to Harry Kane and two players you signed from other clubs. There are many clubs who could make the same bold claims and some far greater.
I haven't compared Spurs track record on youth development with any other particular club, so I don't know why you are dragging United in this.

I'm simply saying that bringing through 5 young players into our regular, first choice XI (as of last season) is an excellent achievement in my book for a top 4 club. It doesn't matter how long ago some of them were signed - that's simply a reflection of the development process. And I'm also saying that other talented young players - like Sancho, like Sanchez - will have noticed this and made decisions accordingly.

And even outside the first XI, players like Sancho and Sanchez will have noticed that young players like Winks, CCV and Walker-Peters are all in our first team squad ... and this will likely have further influenced their decision to join Spurs.

If you don't agree with what I've said, then too bad I guess.

acnumber9

I haven't compared Spurs track record on youth development with any other particular club, so I don't know why you are dragging United in this.

I'm simply saying that bringing through 5 young players into our regular, first choice XI (as of last season) is an excellent achievement in my book for a top 4 club. It doesn't matter how long ago some of them were signed - that's simply a reflection of the development process. And I'm also saying that other talented young players - like Sancho, like Sanchez - will have noticed this and made decisions accordingly.

And even outside the first XI, players like Sancho and Sanchez will have noticed that young players like Winks, CCV and Walker-Peters are all in our first team squad ... and this will likely have further influenced their decision to join Spurs.

If you don't agree with what I've said, then too bad I guess.
You literally compare them with every club when you say your club has one of the best track records around. Would you say United have one of the best track records around and is a great place for young players to go? I'm using United as an example because I know more about them.

Walker doesn't play for your club anymore so it's 4. Applying your rules De Gea, Bailly, Smalling, Jones, Shaw, Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Pogba, Taunzebe, Mitchell and Pereira all qualify as examples of young players getting their chance. If we're including Walker let's throw Rooney in there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.