James Garner image 37

James Garner England flag

2021-22 Performances

View full 2021-22 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marwood

He looks like a below par McTominay. Not seen much that makes me that excited.
Good enough or not he's absolutely nothing like McTominay.

Stylistically it's like comparing Carrick to Paul Ince. Miles off.

SamVimes

He's not exactly a generational talent, but comparisons to McTominay are off. He is a better passer of the ball, the those passes are progressive. Personally think he is not dynamic enough, but that's just me.

Ranchero

Garner has better range of passing than Scott. Dont make up your mind so soon.
I havent. Seen lots of him with Forest. His delivery on crosses and free-kicks is outstanding. But Forest play Ryan Yates further forward so catches the eye more. Garner tends to play deeper, tends to play safer as a result and that perhaps negates his more positive side and creativity. He is learning though.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
That tackle at the edge of his box was so satisfying, absolutely crunched both ball and man.

SirtheIcarium

From when I've watched him (probably not as much as some), I like him a lot. Reminds me a bit of Bryan Robson, who I idolised as a kid.

My brother is a Luton Town fan and has seen him a lot more than me. He reckons Garner has been a huge factor in Forests form since the turn of the year.

GreatDane

Can he play next to someone like De Jong?
I haven't seen him play, only read about him and he sounds very interesting.

dutchred

I can see him in a double pivot with Frenkie. Similar to what Schone was at Ajax. No need for a pure DM as the defensive line is so high

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Honestly don't think so. He seems to read the game well, but is hardly a defensive workhorse. They probably play in the same spot if anyhting.

UDontMessWith24

Quality on the ball is evident and so is his vision. If I have any qualms so far it’s the he tends to telegraph a pass from time to time. Considering we currently have 0 players at the position he’ll definitely have a chance to make the senior squad.

GreatDane

I can see him in a double pivot with Frenkie. Similar to what Schone was at Ajax. No need for a pure DM as the defensive line is so high
Honestly don't think so. He seems to read the game well, but is hardly a defensive workhorse. They probably play in the same spot if anyhting.
Guess we will find out in the pre-season, could save a signing if Ten Hag can work with him.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He's kind of disappeared in the second half :/

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Watched from 25min in 'till the end of the first half. Looked really good. I'm really excited to see him in pre season under ETH.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Think those that claim he has a great passing range and is a progressive passer of the ball are kidding themselves. I get it, we've all done it, but Garner is pretty average.

Would love him to come back and stake a claim in the squad but I doubt it.

pascell

Keep him there next season, he's settled, happy and developing, he'd be a bench warmer at United. We should look at the Tuanzebe loan when Villa were promoted and what's happened with his development since.

Nick.

He's had good moments but I think he's not ready yet. Neither is Djed Spence imo.

Roario

Henning Berg was co commentating the game here in Norway.
When asked if Gardner could to a job for United next season he said, "To be honest, no. If United want to be top four and more they need to aim higher"

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
When asked if Gardner could to a job for United next season he said, "To be honest, no. If United want to be top four and more they need to aim higher"
That's true, I don't think anyone should expect Garner to be key first team player. He is still young player, at best he can play as back up and then can be evaluated based on his performances.

Raven

Keep him there next season, he's settled, happy and developing, he'd be a bench warmer at United. We should look at the Tuanzebe loan when Villa were promoted and what's happened with his development since.
This is such a shit comparison. Tuanzebe is a crock, he's spent almost his entire time with us injured.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Another season at Forest would be ideal but given our lack of midfield I wouldn’t be surprised if he stays with us.

mu4c_20le

fecking hell Henning, it's not like he's going to be starting every game and save us the FDJ money. He'd be in and out of the squad.

dove

Should cash in while his value is up as I would guess Nottinham will want to keep him. Unfortunately we are not smart enough to do that so will keep him in our first team squad until his value reaches 0.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He is and has been playing that deep lying role. Anyway his ball into the box was superb for the goal. And he is a decent cross on him
Completely different skill set though, Garner tries to progress the play with his passing and has a good set piece, McTominay is a big player and is at his best when he’s carrying the ball forward by dribbling. They’re just not very similar besides the fact they’re both United youth products.

edcunited1878

Give him a year in the PL under zero pressure like United did w Henderson at Sheffield United. Only problem is that United need at least 2, more like 3, central midfielders. He could be part of the squad, but he would be better served in a more forgiving environment and understand what the PL is like for an entire season, much like EtH will be doing.

pascell

This is such a shit comparison. Tuanzebe is a crock, he's spent almost his entire time with us injured.
Nah, no it isn't.
Villa asked for Tuanzebe back on loan after promoted, we said no, the rest is history and he's warmed the Napoli bench after not getting a look in at Villa as he hasn't developed.

If Forest come in for Garner on loan next season, we should be letting him stay there, he's nowhere near good enough for us anyway at this point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.