James Garner image 37

James Garner England flag

2021-22 Performances

View full 2021-22 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smores

I still maintain it depends how much we strengthen. If we bring in two midfielders he should stay there, if just the one then he'll get enough games to justify staying with us. Think Ten Hag with his detailed coaching would benefit him next year.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
loan again next year will be perfect for him.

settled in the team, 38 Pl games. we will get a much better idea if he’s ready for us after that.

Raven

Nah, no it isn't.
Villa asked for Tuanzebe back on loan after promoted, we said no, the rest is history and he's warmed the Napoli bench after not getting a look in at Villa as he hasn't developed.

If Forest come in for Garner on loan next season, we should be letting him stay there, he's nowhere near good enough for us anyway at this point in time.
Tuanzebe was our 3rd choice CB when he came back but could never get off the treatment table. Shit comparison.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Some posters on would criticize Busquets' passing if he was from the United academy....

Think those that claim he has a great passing range and is a progressive passer of the ball are kidding themselves. I get it, we've all done it, but Garner is pretty average.
Yeah, fewer progressive passes than Joe 'sideways' Allen.

https://i.redd.it/lnxz35zb4r481.jpg

He's definitely improved physically this season. He imposes himself a bit more...always thought he had a tendency to ghost through games at times.

Another loan to Forest would give us a much better picture of whether or not he can contribute here.

Remember the geese

I don't think it is possible, but I'd be very open to loaning him out to a Premier league team who tend to dominate possession. Brighton would be perfect, but as I say, I don't think they can guarantee him minutes. Failing that, hopefully Ten Hag can work his magic with him.

dubplate warrior

Sometimes you can see whether a player has it after a few games. It was very obvious after a few games he's not at the level required for where we want to be. That being said, he's still better than Mctominay.

OT1214

One of the best loan deals by United in recent times. Garner had an excellent season.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Should cash in while his value is up as I would guess Nottinham will want to keep him. Unfortunately we are not smart enough to do that so will keep him in our first team squad until his value reaches 0.
Loan him back. Don’t just sell a top young player because other young players have failed before him.

Blood Mage

He is a more talented player than McTominay and Fred, but he's still not good enough to be a first choice Manchester United player. We need to stop being sentimental and lowering our standards.

Hopefully Forest buy him, it would be a great move for the lad.

dubplate warrior

He is a more talented player than McTominay and Fred, but he's still not good enough to be a first choice Manchester United player. We need to stop being sentimental and lowering our standards.

Hopefully Forest buy him, it would be a great move for the lad.
Liverpool sold Rhian Brewster for £20M. We should be selling the likes of him and Henderson and reinvesting in the squad.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Yep, sell him now if we can get decent value. Add a buyback clause if we can.

Ekeke

Pre-season with us so ETH can look at him then loan him back to Forest for the season in the premier league.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not sure if he's good enough, but now is as good a time as ever to sell him. I saw that Southampton, Leicester, and someone else were interested. We could easily command £20-25m for him.

Lentwood

I like Garner but from a cold, hard business perspective, this would be a great time to sell him.

Id say he's a good player for his age but right now, he's nowhere near the level required to challenge for top three in the PL

Ask Forest for £25m and put a £50m buyback clause in. That gives him the best chance to play weekly in the PL and develop to his max. potential and we get instant cash to inject into the squad

city-puma

ETH must have been watching. What a great experience he had with nott forest. I think he can become a key part of our squad in three years.

dove

Loan him back. Don’t just sell a top young player because other young players have failed before him.
Let's be honest, the odds that he will make it here and be an important player for us are very slim. Selling (ideally with some sort of buy back clause) while their value is on the high is a much safer option.

Abraxas

I think the problem with sending him back there next year would be that Forest look like cannon fodder. I don't see the quality there to be a decent PL side which will make it very hard to excel in central midfield as a passer. It's very hard for any Norwich players to look good for example, although that's possibly because none of them are!

dutchred

He's very similar to Carrick, who never looked as he took a game by the scruff of the neck, he just quietly controlled the game. I thin with the right partner ( in a double pivot for example) he could make it here. I would certainly like to see him given a chance

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I like Garner but from a cold, hard business perspective, this would be a great time to sell him.

Id say he's a good player for his age but right now, he's nowhere near the level required to challenge for top three in the PL

Ask Forest for £25m and put a £50m buyback clause in. That gives him the best chance to play weekly in the PL and develop to his max. potential and we get instant cash to inject into the squad
£50m buyback?! That's more than fecking Fred cost and he was massively overpriced.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
With the comparisons to McTominay, obviously they are different types of players but the obvious comparison is how little they get on the ball. I didn't watch the final (was planning to but got the start time wrong) but I have watched him play five other matches over the last 14 months or so. What has really stood out each time is how passive Garner was and how little he gets involved in the match. Five matches isn't a great sample size, but quite a lot of other people have made similar criticisms so it does seem to be a trend with him. Hopefully he develops into a more dominating presence that gets on the ball a lot more, as he is capable of making nice plays when he's got possession.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He's very similar to Carrick, who never looked as he took a game by the scruff of the neck, he just quietly controlled the game. I thin with the right partner ( in a double pivot for example) he could make it here. I would certainly like to see him given a chance
Apart from perhaps looking like him from a distance, he's nothing like him.

The Carrick comparison is a bit lazy just because he's a midfielder that passes sideways. Carrick passed sideways and backwards a lot, but was very progressive when he needed to be. Carrick was also very good defensively.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Sounding obvious but the club needs to make a decision, either they see a long term path to first team for him or they cash in this summer. He's not good enough for us now but 21 is young for a CM in the PL.

If we're buying two midfielders as expected this summer then his path is going to be blocked if they work out.

dutchred

Apart from perhaps looking like him from a distance, he's nothing like him.

The Carrick comparison is a bit lazy just because he's a midfielder that passes sideways. Carrick passed sideways and backwards a lot, but was very progressive when he needed to be. Carrick was also very good defensively.
so is Garner

edcunited1878

so is Garner
Garner has nothing on Carras aside from a general comparison. Carrick didn't start out as a DLP who screened the defense. He stayed in midfield, but was able to adapt to the base of midfield like Scholes did.

The back end of Carrick's career, he was a metronome with the ability to shift the defense then play decisive balls anywhere he was. Garner hasn't shown the ability to do that at the rate Carrick did.

No need to overstate Garner right now. He's developing nicely, the way Henderson did. The only saving grace is that McTominay cannot pass like Garner nor Fred for that matter. So Garner has that for him.

While Garner develops in the PL and learns the league, allow McTominay to be phased out.

Can't get rid of every single player in one window, but United can at least really plan and have a vision w EtH.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Carrick. One of the players in a high-achieving team that you question what does he exactly do when he does everything. He's rhythmic, lethally precise with his passing, and is great under pressure.

Ten Hag would like him.

NoPace

If we manage to get FDJ, we might want to pair him with someone who is happy to sit and can pass alongside him, so Garner would be a nice 2nd choice for that role. Like this I guess:

------------------------------Cristiano(Rashford)
Bruno(Elanga)-----------VDB(Hannibal)---------Sancho(Amad/Pellistri)
-----------------De Jong (Fred)-----DM-(Garner)---------------------------------------
Shaw(Telles)----LCB(Maguire)----Varane(Lindelof)----------RB(Dalot)
------------------------------------De Gea(Heaton)------------------------------------------

If we make 4 signings this summer. If we make a 5th, then in this setup it would seem likely to be a winger (with Bruno moving central) or a 9, though I don't see us selling Rashford and my guess is Ten Hag will try to make him a 9.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I think it's best if ten Hag has a good look at him during pre-season then the club can make a decision if he should be with the squad next season or head out on loan again. Have a feeling many PL teams will be interested in taking him on loan.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Then you haven't been watching closely enough, he has an excellent range of passing and has great vision and regularly plays line breaking passes.
Yeah, I think what's more likely is people telling themselves what they want to see. Time will tell.

Raven

Yeah, I think what's more likely is people telling themselves what they want to see. Time will tell.
I've watched him lots of times over the last 2 seasons, I'm not telling myself anything, I'm telling you.

Status
Not open for further replies.