Januzaj on loan to Sunderland?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm sorry but Van Gaal has given him crap playing him in these weird positions where he doesn't belong. He's a central player and that's where he should play.

Also, Sunderland are hardly an attacking team. He'd be better of getting league cup games here than Sunderland. He'd be involved in what 3 attacks per 3 games (if he even plays every game)
He will almost certainly regress further if he's on the bench here for another year. LvG is quite rightly not prepared to risk the interests of the squad as a whole to experiment with Januzaj when we have players like Mata, Herrera, Fellaini, and Memphis in the attacking mix. If LvG doesn't feel he's quite ready then he needs to go on loan rather than sit on the bench or play with the reserves.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
But should we base our selection on preseason or preseason and the last two seasons? Januzaj has been the better player. He needs to start.
We should base it on the latest preseason where Perreira was clearly the star in terms of emerging youth talent. What Januzaj did for a few games under Moyes is ancient history now and the fact that he hasn't been able to replicate it speaks volumes about how ready he is for more first team minutes.

Enigma_87

You know who
Sunderland would be a shithole place to send him. I'd rather send him to Crystal Palace or Swansea.

El-Manos

Why would you loan him out to places where he wouldnt start all the time?
He would after a while, have no doubts about that. Don't forget this lad was running past defenders for exercise not so long ago, that talent is still there.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He will almost certainly regress further if he's on the bench here for another year. LvG is quite rightly not prepared to risk the interests of the squad as a whole to experiment with Januzaj when we have players like Mata, Herrera, Fellaini, and Memphis in the attacking mix. If LvG doesn't feel he's quite ready then he needs to go on loan rather than sit on the bench or play with the reserves.
We should base it on the latest preseason where Perreira was clearly the star in terms of emerging youth talent. What Januzaj did for a few games under Moyes is ancient history now and the fact that he hasn't been able to replicate it speaks volumes about how ready he is for more first team minutes.
It's not like Januzaj wasn't doing really well in the preseason. The one game he played centrally, he was constantly creating problems (and got a goal as well). Besides, you can't completely ignore what he did under Moyes. History or not, it's still a reflection on his quality.

I'm not as concerned about Perreira because he still has that time of being in and out of the first team left to do. Januzaj did all of that under Moyes and LVG last year. It's time to start giving the boy consistent starts and watch him shine (or fail? who knows. but it's a certain fail if we don't do anything).

Yes, he'll definitely regress on the bench but he wont be making any steps forward by going to Sunderland of all clubs. The thing is, I don't think it's a "risk" or and "experiment". Everyone knows he has the quality so why not just unleash him.

If he plays the league games, cup games and at least some of the PL games I'll be happy to a certain extent but as it stand he's not even being selected to be on the bench. That just frustrates me. Honestly, I feel like LVG doesn't rate him; maybe he's not versatile enough for him or doesn't fit into the philosophy? I have no idea.

To sum it up, I rate Januzaj really highly. If this was any other hot prospect I'd say okay, a loan is probably the best way we can go on about this. In Januzaj's case I well and truly believe he's a potential world class player.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's not like Januzaj wasn't doing really well in the preseason. The one game he played centrally, he was constantly creating problems (and got a goal as well). Besides, you can't completely ignore what he did under Moyes. History or not, it's still a reflection on his quality.

I'm not as concerned about Perreira because he still has that time of being in and out of the first team left to do. Januzaj did all of that under Moyes and LVG last year. It's time to start giving the boy consistent starts and watch him shine (or fail? who knows. but it's a certain fail if we don't do anything).

Yes, he'll definitely regress on the bench but he wont be making any steps forward by going to Sunderland of all clubs. The thing is, I don't think it's a "risk" or and "experiment". Everyone knows he has the quality so why not just unleash him.

If he plays the league games, cup games and at least some of the PL games I'll be happy to a certain extent but as it stand he's not even being selected to be on the bench. That just frustrates me. Honestly, I feel like LVG doesn't rate him; maybe he's not versatile enough for him or doesn't fit into the philosophy? I have no idea.

To sum it up, I rate Januzaj really highly. If this was any other hot prospect I'd say okay, a loan is probably the best way we can go on about this. In Januzaj's case I well and truly believe he's a potential world class player.
I feel that if Van Gaal, who oversaw the development of players like Thomas Muller, knows whether or not Januzaj is ready for more first team time or whether he isn't and could use a loan to further his development. Unlike all of us, he watches him train and has a chance to observe his attitude on a daily basis, and probably knows what's best for the lad in terms of how best to develop him. I get the distinct impression Perreira has leapfrogged him based on this year's summer tour performances, where he was routinely one of our better players. I could care less whether Adnan is loaned to Sunderland or another club, as long as he isn't left to languish on the bench or in the reserves for another year.

Red_toad

To be honest is best he goes to a club that will give him game time. Not sure how we'd go about loaning a player to a club that don't want or need him. Always find the oh why don't we loan him to so & so comments a bit daft, club will only deal with those who approach them about him.
If Sunderland are going to start him when he's fit, then it's a good deal. Welbeck did very well there.

rover

wilson shares more common with chicharito than januzaj does. when chicharito gets a 2nd birth under lvg game time allowed for wilson will be less. chicharito has been making the bench so his injury is over. even he does and we need wilson to stand by for whatever the reason, januzaj could be the only player we are now having who can create something and makes a difference in the front line. no matter wilson to loan out or not, januzaj should stay

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I feel that if Van Gaal, who oversaw the development of players like Thomas Muller, knows whether or not Januzaj is ready for more first team time or whether he isn't and could use a loan to further his development. Unlike all of us, he watches him train and has a chance to observe his attitude on a daily basis, and probably knows what's best for the lad in terms of how best to develop him. I get the distinct impression Perreira has leapfrogged him based on this year's summer tour performances, where he was routinely one of our better players. I could care less whether Adnan is loaned to Sunderland or another club, as long as he isn't left to languish on the bench or in the reserves for another year.
You never know about the manager. It could be he just wants instant success and cannot afford to start/nurture Januzaj? I'm just speculating. I also don't think a few preseason games puts perraira ahead of Januzaj - who in my opinion is a class above. Anyway, we'll have to see what happens. Certainly he has the talent to make it at a top club be it Manchester United or anywhere else.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You never know about the manager. It could be he just wants instant success and cannot afford to start/nurture Januzaj? I'm just speculating. I also don't think a few preseason games puts perraira ahead of Januzaj - who in my opinion is a class above. Anyway, we'll have to see what happens. Certainly he has the talent to make it at a top club be it Manchester United or anywhere else.
You're probably right about LvG since he himself has said (paraphrasing) everyone's job including his own is on the line this year, so I doubt he's going to experiment with throwing in players he feels are not ready yet. I don't doubt Januzaj's ability, in football terms he seems to be immensely talented but I'm not at all convinced his "football brain" is developed yet, which is why a loan would be helpful.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He would after a while, have no doubts about that. Don't forget this lad was running past defenders for exercise not so long ago, that talent is still there.
Maybe at Crystal Palace but Swansea just have superior players playing. Dont forget that Crystal Palace need completely different players than we do, for them the likes of Bolasie and Zaha on the wing is fantastic. Pace, raw skill, strength, explosiveness.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
As things stand, I think we need him.

Also not sure about Sunderland being a good fit.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
If he couldn't get regular starts for a Crystal Palace or Swansea, why do we even care about what happens to him anymore?

Sammyjunn

If he couldn't get regular starts for a Crystal Palace or Swansea, why do we even care about what happens to him anymore?
Swansea is a very good team, you shouldnt underestimate them. He maybe good enough for Crystal Palace, that doesnt mean he is what they need and they should block their own players development for him. Also, he's just 20.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Swansea is a very good team, you shouldnt underestimate them. He maybe good enough for Crystal Palace, that doesnt mean he is what they need and they should block their own players development for him. Also, he's just 20.
Zaha and Bolasie will take some displacing tbh. Punchean is also a very good players for them too

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Competing with 25/26 year olds who are playing well when you're be and temporary can be a difficult thing, even if you're talented. It's an important time for januzaj. Once he's at his best and confident and older he'll piss all over the likes of Bolasie or Swansea's wingers, but he's a kid who is in a phase of self doubt and need for development.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
And lingard ahead of him too. Really the person who had his possible bench position is Hernandez as Januzaj only looked good when up front v Barca.
I was surprised that he put Hernandez on their with no pre-season minutes yet left Wilson out. Surely it would have been sensible to have Wilson there.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
If he's to go out on loan he has to earn his place. Whether that's at Palace or Swansea or wherever. But at the end of the day if he's going to be good enough to play for us then he should be good enough to dislodge any of the players at either club mentioned above. Maybe not straight away but over a few weeks / couple of months.

He wasn't even in the squad yesterday which was a bit of a shock. And I'm concerned that he won't get that much playing time again this season. That'll mean 2 seasons of no progression for him which for him individually must be a concern.

He's good enough to add something to the team I have no doubt about that. But LVG doesn't seem to fancy him in his system.

Enigma_87

You know who
Who is he displacing in Swansea's team? Did you watch them yesterday?

If he is going anywhere, he needs to start.
Wayne fecking Routledge got 29 games last year. I don't think Ayew and Eder were all that last night.

Montero was great, but IMO Januzaj is better in the long run given games and time.

Besides I'm on with @Judge Red - we're talking about him starting/playing at United this year, if he can't get a regular game time at Palace and Swansea then we seriously must be overrating him.

Enigma_87

You know who
Competing with 25/26 year olds who are playing well when you're be and temporary can be a difficult thing, even if you're talented. It's an important time for januzaj. Once he's at his best and confident and older he'll piss all over the likes of Bolasie or Swansea's wingers, but he's a kid who is in a phase of self doubt and need for development.
He needs more game time in order to become that. There is much better chance for him to get it at Palace and Swansea than United. If/when Pedro arrives, who will he dislodge in the team? Mata, Herrera,Rooney, Depay, Pedro?

He has much better chance for a regular place against Bolasie and Puncheon.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Why wouldn't he? He can play on both wings as well as #10. I think he can find himself a place in both teams.
Swansea are a 'family' club. They wouldn't loan in a first team player who they weren't planning to sign permanently. He'd be on the bench.
Palace have Bolasie and Zaha on the wings. He isn't benching either. And they aren't playing another raw youngster weekly, when they've got Zaha already, and Bolasie is also such a risk-taker.

Enigma_87

You know who
Swansea are a 'family' club. They wouldn't loan in a first team player who they weren't planning to sign permanently. He'd be on the bench.
Palace have Bolasie and Zaha on the wings. He isn't benching either. And they aren't playing another raw youngster weekly, when they've got Zaha already, and Bolasie is also such a risk-taker.
They played Zaha when he was our player and he and Bolasie are not good as Januzaj.

I think he can improve Swansea as well. He's an instant improvement on Routledge, Aeyw and Eder. It's not like they have gazillion of loaned players. Not to mention that you never know with Januzaj. Pereira may grab his chance this year or we buy some players next year. It's not like it's impossible for Swansea to buy him.

Speak

They played Zaha when he was our player and he and Bolasie are not good as Januzaj.

I think he can improve Swansea as well. He's an instant improvement on Routledge, Aeyw and Eder. It's not like they have gazillion of loaned players. Not to mention that you never know with Januzaj. Pereira may grab his chance this year or we buy some players next year. It's not like it's impossible for Swansea to buy him.
The thing about loans is that it's not just about the player being better. So many things come into it.

Bolasie is a fan favourite at Palace who did well last season, and Zaha has his pace and strength going for him. He's also a fan favourite. I just don't see them benching either for any period of time. And Zaha is as raw as Januzaj, while Bolasie is a risk-taker. I can't see them putting another raw youngster into the same XI too often, so he wouldn't play centrally.

Again, with Swansea, it's not as simple as him being better than player x and y (it's debatable whether he's even better han their options anyway).
They are a very well-run club. I just couldn't see them loaning in someone like Januzaj in order to bench their own players - some of whom have served them really well. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but that's the impression I get. And it's not as if they struggle to create chances with their current lot anyway.

We'd just be giving these teams another option, when we want to be giving them a key player that they can't afford to leave out.

Last edited:

Sammyjunn

You are seriously overrating Januzaj now, he is no better than Bolasie and Zaha too fits them better than Januzaj does with their counter attacking play.

Januzaj isnt close to Ayew either, that's daft. He was one of the best footballers in the ligue 1, especially out of the non-PSG crop. Montero is better than Januzaj as is Siggurdson.

Enigma_87

You know who
You are seriously overrating Januzaj now, he is no better than Bolasie and Zaha too fits them better than Januzaj does with their counter attacking play.

Januzaj isnt close to Ayew either, that's daft. He was one of the best footballers in the ligue 1, especially out of the non-PSG crop. Montero is better than Januzaj as is Siggurdson.
I think they are similar with Bolasie, but Januzaj is a bit better even now. Given the same time for them I expect him to have a better end product than him.

He's not as good as Montero and Sigurdson I agree. I find Ayew a bit underwhelming everytime I seen him, maybe it's because I don't rate him all that high.

Speak

I even forgot about Sigurdsson. People are dreaming if they think he'd start weekly for Swansea. A few weeks ago apparently he was likely to start weekly for Everton too.

He wont get much better than Sunderland here in this league.

Sammyjunn

I think they are similar with Bolasie, but Januzaj is a bit better even now. Given the same time for them I expect him to have a better end product than him.

He's not as good as Montero and Sigurdson I agree. I find Ayew a bit underwhelming everytime I seen him, maybe it's because I don't rate him all that high.
Januzaj maybe better for a team like us, but the raw pace, physique, raw skill, explosivity and directness Zaha and Bolasie have, make them very valuable players for Crystal Palace. Januzaj also wouldnt make such a significant improvement that it's worth it for Crystal Palace, to stall the own capital they've built. Still not sure about Januzaj being better than Bolasie nonetheless.

Ayew is a good player and has been a key player for Marseille for years now,he's a renowned starter for the Ghana NT for years now too, cant really think of how Januzaj would be better than he is.

RuudTom83

Signing Pedro would only push Januzaj further down the order...it's a shame his path into the first team always seems to get blocked when nothing is more rewarding or enjoyable to watch than a young kid progress from the youth team to the first.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Signing Pedro would only push Januzaj further down the order...it's a shame his path into the first team always seems to get blocked when nothing is more rewarding or enjoyable to watch than a young kid progress from the youth team to the first.
Whilst I appreciate your point on the ideal scenario of youth progression, in Januzaj's case he has had 12 months to prove himself of sufficient quality to push for a first team spot. That new arrivals will be putting him further down the pecking order is mainly his problem in failing to convince the hierarchy of his status in this particular time.*

* Caveat because it would logically only be a short term loan. He's still very much a part of our future and a Lukaku style loan of a top 4 team loaning out a high potential youngster can have positive impacts for us in being able to hurt our rivals in other fixtures.

Speak

Rumors that Januzaj will be confirmed as a loan signing for us Tuesday morning.
Would seem likely. He wasn't in the squad, you have a Dutch manager, we look likely to tie up a deal for Pedro.

He might not fancy a loan, but the reality is that he's not good enough to start at United and there's little point him playing U21s and 20 minutes here and there.

Andy Jones

Supports
SUNDERLAND
Would seem likely. He wasn't in the squad, you have a Dutch manager, we look likely to tie up a deal for Pedro.

He might not fancy a loan, but the reality is that he's not good enough to start at United and there's little point him playing U21s and 20 minutes here and there.
Signs point to Pedro to United being imminent. Must surely mean Januzaj is away, especially with him not being included yesterday.

bpet15

I am not sure why, but I can't help but feel that he will never wear a United shirt again if this loan happens.