Jermaine Jenas in line to replace Gary Lineker - Ian Wright leaving MOTD

fps

Cost cutting. They need a face of football but Lineker is genuinely famous for his football and other things. Jenas isn’t and I can see this being part of the BBC Sport TV’s apparently wilful slide into insignificance. Radio continues to be fantastic though, as do a whole host of other shows and things no one else would do like Winterwatch.

fps

Completely agree with this.

Didn't like him initially, actually thought he seemed a bit dull / thick. But as he became more natural with the cameras and opened up his opinions more I've really warmed to him and like his punditry in general.

I'd gladly watch a footy show anchored by him.

I just really think they shoulda kept MOTD 2, I loved that show! Most people seemed to think it was boring though, so, yeah...
Jenas on MoTD2 would have worked. In general I think the BBC realises football is covered elsewhere and frankly isn’t going anywhere, so is the license fee best spent on something others do brilliantly for mega money, or should they continue to do things others don’t do, like their fantastic array of radio channels?

Kostov

It his the same Jenas that watched the game against Tranmere and decided that Lingard was MoTM? Not the brightest of chaps.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Am I the only one that rates Chappers and would like to see him get the job?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Does anyone below age 60 actually watch MOTD anymore? Goal clips are available online moments after they're scored, highlights available soon after the game. 40-50 % of the games are televised, if you can't watch those live then highlights are easily available on the broadcaster's platforms.

Guess I underestimated how much this place is frequented by old people.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Think he's the highest paid presenter on the BBC across all sectors and recently said the license fee should be abolished. The BBC have to make cuts. Jenas would be a quarter or less of Lineker's fee.
Apparently it could be within 2 years so let’s not open the champagne and Walkers crisps just yet

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Does anyone below age 60 actually watch MOTD anymore? Goal clips are available online moments after they're scored, highlights available soon after the game. 40-50 % of the games are televised, if you can't watch those live then highlights are easily available on the broadcaster's platforms.

Not to mention the live streams where they show all the goals at half time.

It makes Sky look well slow. What that makes MOTD I don’t know!

Toblerone92

I’m in different about this. Never really warmed to Jenas but he’s far better than that smug bald cnut Shearer as a pundit.

Think with time Jenas could actually grow into a solid presenter if he could somehow find a bit of charisma. Maybe Souness can lend him some.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I quite like Jenas as a pundit. He seems pretty natural at it but not sure he has the presence needed to head up the show.
He started off well but now seems to lack even a basic understanding of the game. I've already stopped watching MotD because of fecking Shearer and Murphy so it's no biggie for me if he joins that Titanic.

Ibi Dreams

Surprised how negative the reactions are here. Out of all the usual suspects Jenas is often the most articulate pundit, he expresses himself well and looks natural on TV. If they want an ex player to host it then I'd say he is the best of the bunch (not talking about quality of punditry here but in terms of looking, sounding and acting like a presenter)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Lineker being pushed out for his liberal twitter views?

BBC is the Boris platform. Piers Morgan to be pundit and JRM to present. It’ll be a hoot

Posh Red

I’m 28 and I love MOTD!

Abizzz

I'm not that old and I watch it occasionally if I can't watch the match. It's kind of nice not having to click from game to game etc. just sitting back and letting it roll. It's basically the only place where I watch highlights from teams like Burnley, Bournemouth etc. if they aren't playing us.

Don't mind if Jenas gets Lineker's job but have never enjoyed the "studio" bits that much anyway.

matt10000

I just think his smugness is quite refreshing. Everyone else seems to be too self-aware. He just rolls with it. Natural.
I like the fact he is humble. He always said that he thought he would be found out before every game.

In Italia 1990, while the rest of the squad were messing about between games, he spent time with the media learning how everything worked, he didn’t just fall into it, he pro-actively carved a place for himself while still playing in a profession where many can’t even toe their own shoe laces

mjstokes85

Jenas and Murphy are probably the 2 best pundits the BBC have, not sure on Jenas presenting though, but it could be worse.

A lot of young people like myself (25) and my friends around my age are busy throughout a Saturday doing productive things so we have no time to be watching streams and paying attention to highlight apps.

So MOTD is perfect to wait for in the evenings to catch up on the days football.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Surprised how negative the reactions are here. Out of all the usual suspects Jenas is often the most articulate pundit, he expresses himself well and looks natural on TV. If they want an ex player to host it then I'd say he is the best of the bunch (not talking about quality of punditry here but in terms of looking, sounding and acting like a presenter)
His role will be more of presenting. Might be a good pundit but a presenter is totally different.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I dont watch it live. I record it then just skip through all the chat and watch the highlights.

Much easier that way, especially if United have been shite