Jermaine Jenas in line to replace Gary Lineker - Ian Wright leaving MOTD

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
they've already lost it in North America. I'm learning a good deal from this thread about how different things are in the UK.
What do you mean, that the conservatives have lost the culture war in north America? How?

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Can someone shed some light on why Jackass Morgan is on Lineker's side? I always assumed that the Ronaldo fancying, dead schoolgirl's phone hacking bellend was the Toriest of all the Tories.
He is a Tory but he's friends with Lineker.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Would be quite something to have a whole show of crowd noise highlights. Did they not realise Lineker is one of the best respected people in the British media? Who’s advising them? Le Twattier?

Bebe

What do you mean, that the conservatives have lost the culture war in north America? How?
I should edit to Canada. The States is far more a battleground and while I think the conservatives are losing the culture war there, its nowhere near enough to say that they have lost it already.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Find the whole episode bizarre.

In the public sector, they have this political interference clause down to a tee. The posts which work directly with politicians or are involved in elections are politically restricted, which means no public politiking or online pro/anti-party views.

Those roles that don't work with politicians largely get a free pass. There is no need to silence their views because it has no impact on the political process - there is no conflict of interest. All of this - 'he's paid by the taxpayer' stuff would also apply to the 20% of the whole workforce who are in the public sector. It just gets a bit silly when we expect several million people to be politically silent for no real reason other than we don't agree with their views.

It's intriguing that the BBC seem to struggle with this concept, and instead of taking their lead from the public sector which has mastered this stuff decades ago, have their policy driven by the media's take at any given time.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
He’s a colossal bellend but I don’t think even he’s a Tory. He was hugely anti-Johnson and Hancock et al and was a big advocate of new Labour at the mirror. Plus he’s anti-cancel culture etc.
He voted for Tony Blair because Blair was a red Tory. He also voted for Thatcher. He is at heart a Tory but he can be persuaded to vote for Labour if they move to the right enough and the Tories aren't offering up anything he likes

VivaJesperBlomqvist

Not sure what the current chairman of the BBC and loans have to do with this. I know people that have worked at the BBC over the past 10+ years. Its very left leaning. As to Sugar, did no one complain after that tweet? I have no idea what happened with that.

My point is that the BBC are not right leaning. He broke their rules. He has a history of pushing their boundaries. He has been punished this time. You would have to talk to them about why they haven't punished Sugar. Perhaps because the Apprentice is his show? I don't know.
That last sentence is the only one you should ever say moving forward

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Obviously the BBC have got this quite wrong....

but because they can't get a presenter or pundits the show is now going to be focused entirely on match highlights. Sounds... better. Much better. Might even start watching it again.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
It takes footballers or ex-footballers to call out the government and then get censored for having an opinion.

British political journalists are either too useless or too scared to do anything. The supposed opposition party is either too useless or too scared. Although they seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet - just changed a few words.

Furthermore, one of the most famous England players of all time can't get his name spelt correctly by English people. I'm glad that Jan Write, Allen Sheerer and German Jones didn't replace him.

I'm so furious I'm thinking of emigrating. Oh! Thank heavens I already have. I'm an immigrant! Hooray!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This is even about the tweet. This is about the beeb bending to political pressure from the government. That’s unacceptable.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
It takes footballers or ex-footballers to call out the government and then get censored for having an opinion.

British political journalists are either too useless or too scared to do anything. The supposed opposition party is either too useless or too scared. Although they seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet - just changed a few words.

Furthermore, one of the most famous England players of all time can't get his name spelt correctly by English people. I'm glad that Jan Write, Allen Sheerer and German Jones didn't replace him.

I'm so furious I'm thinking of emigrating. Oh! Thank heavens I already have. I'm an immigrant! Hooray!
Really? You never mention it.

lilcurt

There is no issue with him having an opinion, but you are working for a government funded broadcaster. Promoting a strong political view either way whilst being paid by the organisation is clearly a conflict of interests, in some cases it could even be considered corruption. If he is so moral, skip the pay and truly use your platform to promote your view uninhibited.
I would agree if there wasn't already multiple examples of much more damaging bias being shown in the organisation. That seems to be ok though because those views/actions support the government.

Gandalf

So in summary, she has written books and would really like Lineker to buy them. Her argument begins from the false premise that he referenced the holocaust which he did not and strongly implies she has no fecking idea what he wrote. To respond to your point though, many prominent members of the Jewish community have supported Lineker so trotting out those who do not is hardly supportive of any argument.

Pickle85

Beeb obviously in the wrong here but no/ too upset I won't have to listen to toe curling 'banter' between the smuggest man in the world and his charisma vacuum sidekick.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Find it bizarre the way the BBC are reporting this, with a live update panel listing all the folk who are fecking them over and running biography articles about Lineker from footballer to tv star. It’s weird.
The BBC absolutely loves talking about itself.