5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ice-bionic red

Like a few others have said, this is about his level. He only gets this amount of time because he’s a “local Manchester lad”.

Great finishes tonight in a MOTM performance.

But I’d still let him go to Stoke/West Brom or... Swansea

SirScholes

Yeah why even bother scoring in games like this, suppose it's better if he doesn't even score at all next time when he has the chance as it doesn't prove anything.
That's not what the post wa suggesting at all.
Simply saying good goals, but he's still shit, basically, which is totally fair

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Excellent tonight. Plenty of runs, particularly in the 1st half, but still got his second from one in the 2nd. He was a spark tonight that made the difference.

Acole9

Outstanding
Well played, two nice goals. I really don't get the hate for him, I just think fans feel the need to have a scapegoat. There was a few coating him off on Saturday, but he did alright, there were many who played worse than him in that match.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
That's not what the post wa suggesting at all.
Simply saying good goals, but he's still shit, basically, which is totally fair
That's not my issue. He's a squad player, this has been accepted for a long time by the fans and even Mourinho. He scores 2 goals yet people decide to bash him. What is he supposed to do?

He's only had one league start and that was because Mkhitaryan has been poor. I don't see the need to criticise him after a performance like that.

el3mel

That's not my issue. He's a squad player, this has been accepted for a long time by the fans and even Mourinho. He scores 2 goals yet people decide to bash him. What is he supposed to do?

He's only had one league start and that was because Mkhitaryan has been poor. I don't see the need to criticise him after a performance like that.
No one is criticizing him. We're just saying that's his level.

Don't think anyone will disagree with this.

Fridge chutney

Well played, two nice goals. I really don't get the hate for him, I just think fans feel the need to have a scapegoat. There was a few coating him off on Saturday, but he did alright, there were many who played worse than him in that match.
Agree completely with this. He's easy to hate. But he's in better form right now than Mata and Miki. He deserves to start.

He's a good squad player for us in an ideal world. But at the moment he deserves to start.

Fridge chutney

This forum has a tendency to melt down the moment everything isn't perfect. OTT criticisms of our players, even when they've played well, is par for the course it seems.

Jagga7

For all the shit he gets, his movement and off the ball running is top class. I think we really under utilise him.

stevoc

Two great finishes tonight and generally played well, playing centrally suits him much more than wide right. Lets hope he keeps this form up when he next plays.

Lingard's biggest problem is consistency so far in his career whenever he has good games like tonight he often follows them up with 6-7-8 stinkers in a row, where he is often completely anonymous.

Daniel Moore

Been underwhelming thus far maybe a bit harsh but still, however tonight he was class when he went through I gave him no chance. I felt foolish he was more composed than anyone in the ground

Loublaze

ATLien
Like a few others have said, this is about his level. He only gets this amount of time because he’s a “local Manchester lad”.

Great finishes tonight in a MOTM performance.

But I’d still let him go to Stoke/West Brom or... Swansea
You seriously think Mourinho gives a crap about that?

Antonedwin

And Mata or Mkhi are suitable against a team with so much energy? They'd get steamrolled.
Form is temporary , class is permanent

Mata & mkhi has shown brilliance in higher level
Lingard class is here , carabao cup

Daniel Moore

You seriously think Mourinho gives a crap about that?
Yeah let’s be honest it’s beyond that now. He’s got him there and mou will use him as he sees fit regardless of origin
Form is temporary , class is permanent

Mata & mkhi has shown brilliance in higher level
Lingard class is here , carabao cup
yeah but mata and mkhi had loads more experience lol. Not saying lingatds better but they’re bad examples

Dante

Average bang
Good player. Perfect man to fill out the squad. He can fill in gaps in the team when first XI players are earmarked for a rest against smaller teams. If he wasn't United through-and-through, and if he wasn't at his specific level of ability, he'd be kicking up a fuss to leave. As it is, he's the mortar that keeps the wall standing. You can't build anything sturdy out of just bricks.

Daniel Moore

Good player. Perfect man to fill out the squad. He can fill in gaps in the team when first XI players are earmarked for a rest against smaller teams. If he wasn't United through-and-through, and if he wasn't at his specific level of ability, he'd be kicking up a fuss to leave. As it is, he's the mortar that keeps the house standing. You build anything sturdy out of just bricks.
Mortar is a bit much. He is on 100k a week what move would be pushing for which is more lucrative. That being said I agree with the principle I just wish he’d done what he done tonight a little (just a little) more often.

Dante

Average bang
Better than Mikhitaryan
Mourinho currently thinks so. And he's a portugueezer whose entire livelihood depends on results.

Jose's proved time and time again that he doesn't sop to sentimentality. The idea that Lingard gets minutes because of where he's from has no basis in reality. It's a conceit of the Football Manager-playing contingent who have unrealistic expectations of the way squads are assembled.

Womp

idiot
This forum has a tendency to melt down the moment everything isn't perfect. OTT criticisms of our players, even when they've played well, is par for the course it seems.
Unless we have a young, attacking manager, who wins every game of the season, whilst shipping out all squad players, making our squad paper thin and prone to injuries, the caf won't be happy.

jem

The feck?! You’re talking about a player who scored 26 goals last season!

Jaysus. This place. So negative. Can’t even praise one player without shitting on another.
Possibly the single-most irritating posting trend on this place.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Unless we have a young, attacking manager, who wins every game of the season, whilst shipping out all squad players, making our squad paper thin and prone to injuries, the caf won't be happy.
And then they will complain we have no cover!

haram

Happy for him. He's a good player who needs to work on his end product. If he can do that then his runs, movement and application can be so so effective. Two great goals.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Really impressed by Lingard tonight even though I usually give him a lot of stick.
He seems a lot more comfortable in the middle of the pitch and pushed high up. I don't really understand why he gets played at right and left mid, he's just not good enough to play there.
he should start behind Lukaku after that performance against Spurs.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Is that too much to ask? :(

bdspeedy

Look. The kid seems to shine in these lesser competitions. He won the FA cup for us 2 years ago with a fantastic goal. It seems like it was our only trophy that year.
He scored in the league cup final last year. These are not insignificant goals. Since we're still in at least four competitions, we need squad players like him to spell others.

Womp

idiot
Really impressed by Lingard tonight even though I usually give him a lot of stick.
He seems a lot more comfortable in the middle of the pitch and pushed high up. I don't really understand why he gets played at right and left mid, he's just not good enough to play there.
he should start behind Lukaku after that performance against Spurs.
Couldn't do any worse than Mkhitryan tbf.

AR87

He's a good squad player but he looked better today than Mkhi or Mata have looked in weeks. His touch and control were better, his passing was better, his movement was better, his finishing existed, etc.

Both goals were the result of him making forward runs and getting into positions that I haven't seen either Mkhi or Mata get into at all this year. Whatever is going on with them needs to get better if we are to challenge for the league, but in this very moment we can't afford for them to come in and have zero impact again.

I would start Lingard against Tottenham over either of those 2. Not because I want to, but because he's shown something in this match we haven't seen from either of them in ages.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Couldn't do any worse than Mkhitryan tbf.
I couldn't agree more.
Mkhytarian flattered to deceive this season with his assists.
Now even those have dried up he's not been creative at all, I'm almost certain Lingards form won't last in the premier league against top opposition like Spurs, but you have to pick your side based on form and on form Lingard is smashing Mkhy and Mata out the park.

Skeezix

Will those trotting out the "It's his level" lines kindly explain how that logic works?
If the level is low, allowing Lingard to score, why did Rashford, Martial and Lukaku not score?
That's because Lingard is the Messi of League cups.. Rashford, Martial, Lukaku are mere mortals.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Jesse is fully capable of doing this more often in all comps. The mechanics of his finishes are irrelevant to the tournament.

Kostov

Because it’s one thing to play against this Swansea team in the cup, completely another vs Spurs. Based on his form in the league he will be eaten alive.

I’d love it if he starts to prove me wrong and win us the game, but can not see it, unfortunately.

Womp

idiot
I couldn't agree more.
Mkhytarian flattered to deceive this season with his assists.
Now even those have dried up he's not been creative at all, I'm almost certain Lingards form won't last in the premier league against top opposition like Spurs, but you have to pick your side based on form and on form Lingard is smashing Mkhy and Mata out the park.
The problem with Lingard imo has always been consistency. He's capable of having these games where he looks immense, but far too often the game drifts by him. IIRC he dominated the game against Madrid and was our best player in that game too in pre-season. Consistency is what separates him from a squad player and a proper first team player.

LoneStar

I wouldn't mind if he started the Spurs match. Can't do worse than Mikhi at the moment. His movement was very good today. And the two goals he scored were very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.