Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kundalini

What's his stats for this season?
9 goals and 5 assists in 1093 mins in all competitions

6 goals and 4 assists in 747 mins in the PL.

A goal or assist every 75 mins in the PL. (Dele Alli last season 113 mins, Ozil best season 122 mins, Ozil last season 156 mins). Currently, the main thing denying him the chance of an astonishing season is lack of mins on the pitch.

Joint 14th top scorer in PL despite not taking pens or free-kicks

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

Hard to see where I was 'shitting' on Martial, merely comparing the mindset of alot of fans with a 'sexy' player v a 'easy target' player, same could be said with many of our players.
I have no idea what you read but both himself and Rashford have been torn to shreds on here lately. I just don't see why you mentioned him: Is it some sort of 'big bad expensive foreigner' v 'little homegrown Lingard'.

There's enough stats available to defend Lingard this season without resorting to bringing other players into it.

C'est Moi Cantona

Maybe he keeps getting better because he always gets criticized so much? In contrast our youngsters who got so much praise early on are stagnating.
Fair enough then, if that's the motivation they need then let's start laying into them all.

More so I think Lingard is just a slow developer, so when he was late teens/early twenties he really wasn't good enough, and many wrote him off, but he has worked hard, and clearly always shown something as all the managers has persevered when many of us would have binned him, fair play to him, and I hope he has a bit to go improvement wise yet.

deafepl

I thought Lingard play more like false 9 instead of attacking midfielders, he could have 8 goals in the league if all woodwork goes in.

C'est Moi Cantona

I have no idea what you read but both himself and Rashford have been torn to shreds on here lately. I just don't see why you mentioned him: Is it some sort of 'big bad expensive foreigner' v 'little homegrown Lingard'.

There's enough stats available to defend Lingard this season without resorting to bringing other players into it.
Does it really matter, comparing players against each other will always happen, and yes recently Martial has taken some flack, but Lingard has always taken a stupid amount, and tbf I wasn't even been uncomplimentary to Martial, merely saying that it is easy to overlook Lingard's performances, because it is Lingard.

Robbie Boy

Does it really matter, comparing players against each other will always happen, and yes recently Martial has taken some flack, but Lingard has always taken a stupid amount, and tbf I wasn't even been uncomplimentary to Martial, merely saying that it is easy to overlook Lingard's performances, because it is Lingard.
Comparing players is fine in the correct context. There's a serious issue on here with posters having a dig at one player to praise another. In this case it was totally out of context to mention Martial and pretty counterproductive.

C'est Moi Cantona

I don’t know, I think a lot of Lingard effectiveness comes from perpetual motion which dates back to when LVG had him. He closes off space with poor runs, has a lot of poor touches and poor passing and often just makes really poor decisions, he reminds me of a hamster on pre workout, it seems chaotic and unplanned and just frantic but it works for him.
Maybe you have a point, he is a very 'busy' player, but his footballing intelligence is great, and his coolness/shooting technique is one of the best we've got, hand on heart I have always liked him, and really took his side when he signed his new deal when he took massive stick, I just see a player who is very productive, and outperforms the more fashionable names on a regular basis, and that must mean his technique is pretty much top class.

C'est Moi Cantona

Comparing players is fine in the correct context. There's a serious issue on here with posters having a dig at one player to praise another. In this case it was totally out of context to mention Martial and pretty counterproductive.
It wasn't though, but if you want to take umbrage about it then do so, I will continue 'compare' as I see fit.

C'est Moi Cantona

Plenty get called out on it in several threads on a daily basis. I agree with those who do such calling.
So you're a 'calling out sympathiser' then, fair enough, personally if I see someone replying to someone else's specific post I just mind my own business..

Robbie Boy

So you're a 'calling out sympathiser' then, fair enough, personally if I see someone replying to someone else's specific post I just mind my own business..
I don't really know what you're on about dude. All I know is that randomly pitting players against each other - from the club you support - is silly.

We best stop derailing now :angel:

Andersons Dietician

Maybe you have a point, he is a very 'busy' player, but his footballing intelligence is great, and his coolness/shooting technique is one of the best we've got, hand on heart I have always liked him, and really took his side when he signed his new deal when he took massive stick, I just see a player who is very productive, and outperforms the more fashionable names on a regular basis, and that must mean his technique is pretty much top class.
I think he has a place within the squad and right now we are better when he plays, but I don’t think he is technically a good player or particularly an intelligent player. He is certainly someone I’d look to upgrade on in his position but i’d Keep him in the squad as he has proven he can do a job.

Also I think it comes down to how we ourselves think players should play and what we determine as good. I like a player that can get their foot on a ball and orchestrate and control the tempo of a game and just create bits of magic. Lingard isn’t that for me so I’d obviously have a Bias against him. Doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate him tho.

Litch

The vultures will contine to circle waiting for him to feck up again. Pure hypocrisy....

Litch

As another poster said, if it drives him on then so be it, too much praise isn't always a productive thing for football players, even though Lingard deserves plenty.
Drives him on....what a load of crap. Trust me, no one was saying it to inspire him.

Robbie Boy

If he has a shit game next time out then people are fully entitled to criticise said performance. That's how it works and I've no idea why some seem upset by that concept.

C'est Moi Cantona

Drives him on....what a load of crap. Trust me, no one was saying it to inspire him.
Not sure I said they were, obviously not many said that hoping he would improve, more so they wanted him to crash and burn, but too much praise can be counterproductive, so perhaps it wasn't a bad thing, I am a Lingard fan, and was agreeing with you.

Litch

Not sure I said they were, obviously not many said that hoping he would improve, more so they wanted him to crash and burn, but too much praise can be counterproductive, so perhaps it wasn't a bad thing, I am a Lingard fan, and was agreeing with you.
Soz.

kundalini

Raheem Sterling a goal or assist every 72 mins in the PL this season

Jesse Lingard a goal or assist every 75 mins

Salah (don't include today's match) a goal or assist every 76 mins

Sane a goal or assist every 85 mins

AshRK

People who questioned lingard are the same who are now doubting rash ford and martial. If lingard can prove the doubters wrong , no doubt why rashford and martial cannot. It's only.matter of time before rashford again starts banging in goals

DarkXaero

If he could become a more consistent finisher, he'd easily have at least 4 more goals this season. Still not convinced by his overall play (as a player, not tonight's performance), but he certainly has potential to become a pretty solid goalscoring #10 when given the freedom. If he could become a more creative player and learn to get more involved on the ball, he could be a very good #10.

tomaldinho1

Lionel Jesse!

I would love for us to try a more mobile, technical front 4 with Martial as the 9 and Rashford, Lingard, Mata behind. Basically sacking off Big Rom for one game to see how differently we play.

ravelston

If he could become a more consistent finisher, he'd easily have at least 4 more goals this season. Still not convinced by his overall play (as a player, not tonight's performance), but he certainly has potential to become a pretty solid goalscoring #10 when given the freedom. If he could become a more creative player and learn to get more involved on the ball, he could be a very good #10.
Another 4 goals in the Prem would give him better than a goal every 75 minutes - Kane and Aguero manage a goal every 92 minutes. Lingard manages a goal or an assist every 75 minutes, which is better than anyone other than Aguero in the Prem. He already seems to be "a pretty solid goalscoring #10" - which shouldn't really be surprising. Remember when Giggs said, "I coached him when he was 10, and my subject for my A license was coaching a number 10. It was nightmare because he did everything right."

Bwuk

Raheem Sterling a goal or assist every 72 mins in the PL this season

Jesse Lingard a goal or assist every 75 mins

Salah (don't include today's match) a goal or assist every 76 mins

Sane a goal or assist every 85 mins
Bit selective as Sterling, Sane and Salah rarely are benched.

Lingard deserves a run behind the striker. Should of started today. I'm not his biggest fan but if he's scoring goals why on earth bench him?

Ashley R1+O

Superb goals, both of them. Should be in the starting lineup somewhere - his movement and his football brain is high. We need to start getting some cogs in the machine that work around his ability to facilitate. Proud of him to be honest, deserves a bow - maybe player of the month for DEC?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I take back everything I’ve said about him. He has been nothing short of impressive and impactful. I wasn’t a fan of him in the least and thought he wasn’t even good enough to be a squad player for a club aspiring to be the best. But he has really stepped it up and made me eat my words.

DarkXaero

Another 4 goals in the Prem would give him better than a goal every 75 minutes - Kane and Aguero manage a goal every 92 minutes. Lingard manages a goal or an assist every 75 minutes, which is better than anyone other than Aguero in the Prem. He already seems to be "a pretty solid goalscoring #10" - which shouldn't really be surprising. Remember when Giggs said, "I coached him when he was 10, and my subject for my A license was coaching a number 10. It was nightmare because he did everything right."
Yea but sample size matters. Right now, he's in good run of goalscoring form but I don't believe that he can do it over a full season. Martial too got off to an amazing start this season, but once he started playing more games, his form faded. I'm pretty sure same thing would happen to Lingard if he started most of our games.

ravelston

Yea but sample size matters. Right now, he's in good run of goalscoring form but I don't believe that he can do it over a full season. Martial too got off to an amazing start this season, but once he started playing more games, his form faded. I'm pretty sure same thing would happen to Lingard if he started most of our games.
Only one way to find out isn't there.

Sylar

Found it weird he didnt start given the form hes been showing recently. Didnt think he needed to be 'rested' either.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I didn't see the game today but all I'll say is after the miss against Leicester which would have given us the 3 points he owed us those goals to earn us 1 point and that's why I'll always be hesitant about Lingard - when he does good then great but he's always got a costly Leicester miss in him

Got more goals this season than Martial now which is surprising

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Lionel Lingard. That first goal today :drool:

I think it will take a while of performing like this for people to start taking note of how good he is becoming. I think he will still get a bad rap from fans, especially fans of other clubs, because of his past reputation of not being very good and not having an exotic name.

ravelston

I didn't see the game today but all I'll say is after the miss against Leicester which would have given us the 3 points he owed us those goals to earn us 1 point and that's why I'll always be hesitant about Lingard - when he does good then great but he's always got a costly Leicester miss in him

Got more goals this season than Martial now which is surprising
As apparently did Martial, Lukaku and Rashford. No one converts all his chances. Kane scores from 1 in 6 shots - Lingard from 1 in 3 (in the Prem).

Status
Not open for further replies.