5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapardin

Classic Lingard, he's on his way to putting in his usual 3-4 good performances every season. Yes, he was good but that was a Swansea reserves side. No way should he start against Spurs, the Huddersfield game is more reflective of his abilities than this one.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I have been rating Lingard highly few years back when he first playing in pre-season for us and everyone was raving on the likes of Januzaj instead.

Ashley R1+O

I thought he was superb, very nimble in at the 10 position and took up some good positions.

Unmutual

Showed why he's a good squad option for us. Played well throughout and took his goals well. The second one was the best header I've seen in a while, very hard to beat the keeper from that distance.

Thiagoal

Well played, two nice goals. I really don't get the hate for him, I just think fans feel the need to have a scapegoat. There was a few coating him off on Saturday, but he did alright, there were many who played worse than him in that match.
Having a local lad that always gives his all as a scapegoat has never made any sense to me! There are many more deserving in our squad currently!

All this talk of Swansea away being his level is also bull**** Do people forget his cup final performances and games like Chelsea at home last season!?? I really like the boy and hope he gets in the team more often than not for the rest of the season!

Joseunited

At the moment is far and away the better option of either Mata or Mkhitaryan and should be given a proper run of games.He has a much better ability to link up with both Martial and Rashford as was very evident in his first goal last night. He'll be the better option against Tottenham on Saturday, more strength than Mata and much more confident than Mkhitaryan at the moment.

NotworkSte

Having a local lad that always gives his all as a scapegoat has never made any sense to me! There are many more deserving in our squad currently!

All this talk of Swansea away being his level is also bull**** Do people forget his cup final performances and games like Chelsea at home last season!?? I really like the boy and hope he gets in the team more often than not for the rest of the season!
Sadly we've always been like that. Not ever player is World Class, but when they play below par, we always blame the players like Lingard. Remember what is was like with Fletch and O'Shea as well. Fletch in particular got a lot of over the top criticism. Aside from being local, what do our fans want? Who is going to come in and sit on the bench and play when needed and be happy? He is a good squad player that is capable of keeping up with quick passing and movement.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Classic Lingard, he's on his way to putting in his usual 3-4 good performances every season. Yes, he was good but that was a Swansea reserves side. No way should he start against Spurs, the Huddersfield game is more reflective of his abilities than this one.
This unfortunately (he played well last night) but too little to late. If he starts Spurs game we will be playing with 10 and two going forward.

luke511

At the moment is far and away the better option of either Mata or Mkhitaryan and should be given a proper run of games.He has a much better ability to link up with both Martial and Rashford as was very evident in his first goal last night. He'll be the better option against Tottenham on Saturday, more strength than Mata and much more confident than Mkhitaryan at the moment.
Please god no.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The thing with Lingard is that he is inconsistent and goes missing a lot. He works hard and does a lot of running but not much else. He isn’t a young player anymore either, he is 25 in December.

But he was good last night, well played to the lad. He shouldn’t start vs spurs but he has a lot if energy and will defend unlike Mkhitaryan and Mata.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The thing with Lingard is that he is inconsistent and goes missing a lot. He works hard and does a lot of rubbing but not much else. He isn’t a young player anymore either, he is 25 in December.

But he was good last night, well played to the lad. He shouldn’t start vs spurs but he has a lot if energy and will defend unlike Mkhitaryan and Mata.
You just described teenage Pexbo.

keano99

Like a few others have said, this is about his level. He only gets this amount of time because he’s a “local Manchester lad”.

Great finishes tonight in a MOTM performance.

But I’d still let him go to Stoke/West Brom or... Swansea
Not sure this would be your opinion, if they had spent £40M on him

Womp

idiot
While he doesn't have the biggest potential, i'm not sure why people are so keen to talk negative about him. If Mkhi had delivered a similar performance yesterday, some would fleece the skin of their penis and go on about how he's proven everyone wrong again.
People claiming it's his level, yet he looked head and shoulders above every other player in the squad who is supposed to be better than this level. :)

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
I wouldn't say head and shoulders above, just dont understand why people are so quick to peg him down. I don't think he'll ever become first choice, but he can be a reliable squad player who will usually deliver when required. Considering how Mkhi has been playing lately, it's not the worst idea in the world to give Lingard a few matches from the start

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It wasn't Swansea reserves side tbh, they played few first choice players and squad players. They played Mesa and Clucas who are one of their biggest transfers.

Olsson - Their first choice LB
Mawson - First choice CB
Ayew - First choice winger
Naughton - came on in 39th min, their first choice RB.

Then they have players who have plenty of PL experience like Rangel, Ki, Routledge who are now squad players. Routledge and Ki always used to have good games against us too.

Red_Aaron

Messè Lingard :drool:
2 great finishes last night

his best performances tend to come when paired with rashers and martial, there's a great understanding there
with the form of mhiki and mata at present i see no reason not to start him against spurs, his confidence will be high and the one thing that's a must against spurs is workrate because they run their balls off every game. Personally i think Mhiki will get the nod though and mou tends to like to have Jesse as an option from the bench if we need to inject some energy late on

Kostov

And based on Mkhi's performances ?
To be fair, I didn't even count on him. I'd play a midfield 3 if Fellaini is back and Lukaku, Rashford and Martial. But if I have to choose I'd rather Mkhitaryan play than Lingard, simply because the Armenian is capable of the extraordinary even if he is out of form recently. Lingard on the other hand is an average number10/winger who shouldn't be near a Manchester United starting eleven in that kind of game.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
To be fair, I didn't even count on him. I'd play a midfield 3 if Fellaini is back and Lukaku, Rashford and Martial. But if I have to choose I'd rather Mkhitaryan play than Lingard, simply because the Armenian is capable of the extraordinary even if he is out of form recently. Lingard on the other hand is an average number10/winger who shouldn't be near a Manchester United starting eleven in that kind of game.
It's fine that Mkhi is capable of doing something extreme, but when was the last time he actually did something extraordinary ?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I've been banging this drum for a while now but what you get with Lingard is superb movement; to the point where there aren't many better in that department than he in the league. Yes there are obvious flaws in his game but in matches where we actually utilise that movement and look to pick him out when he creates that bit of space for himself he generally has a decent game.

Timdbro

We go on about his movement and workrate but he's also an underrated finisher.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He is a better option than Micky at this point.
I don’t believe that as much as Mykytarin is a hit or a miss Lingard is a miss apart from 1 or 2 games a season.

Andersons Dietician

Think a lot of people are overestimating his performance last night. Scored two great goals but take them out and he missed a lot of easy passing choices that would have set players away. He was actually really bad at passing as well last night. Couldn’t decide if every pass he played to Martial he was deliberately trying to hit him in the nuts or it was just poor passing.
Even his truly outstanding trait which is his effort and desire I feel sometimes ends up with him getting in peoples way and closing space. I would never get rid of him as I think he is a great squad player to have but I think that is he has his limitations.

Kostov

It's fine that Mkhi is capable of doing something extreme, but when was the last time he actually did something extraordinary ?
He scored the winning goal against Tottenham last time around? He can produce moments of brilliance compared to Lingard. While nothing special he had some good games this season. But I said I'd rather none of them start.

What haс Lingard done apart from scoring two goals in the Carabao cup against half arsed Swansea that barely threatened our goal the whole match? And you said he can deliver when required? Did he deliver over the weekend? Or in 90% of the games he's played? Can you seriously not see how limited he is? He scored two good goals, GREAT i gave him credit for that and still his overall game was average. This game is more like an exception, the norm is like the one from last weekend.

Jaybomb

Played great last night. That header :drool:

Should start this weekend based on that performance. Him and Rashford are brilliant together.

Kostov

Think a lot of people are overestimating his performance last night. Scored two great goals but take them out and he missed a lot of easy passing choices that would have set players away. He was actually really bad at passing as well last night. Couldn’t decide if every pass he played to Martial he was deliberately trying to hit him in the nuts or it was just poor passing.
Even his truly outstanding trait which is his effort and desire I feel sometimes ends up with him getting in peoples way and closing space. I would never get rid of him as I think he is a great squad player to have but I think that is he has his limitations.
This, his overall performance was very average and bellow level of what you expect a Manchester United attacker should offer.

MadMike

A bit like Mkhi he enjoys the freedom of the CAM position where he can use his pace to turn defence into attack better. His crossing is, I was going to say average but the reality is it's non existent. He doesn't cross. His best attributes are quick one-twos, pace, and popping up with a decent finish when near the the box. It all screams CAM or Support Striker. His skillset doesn't match the winger position, he can't dribble or cross.

Besides some well known technical limitations, for me it's his lack of strength and ball protection that do my head in. As soon as he gets in contact with an oppo player, he hits the deck asking for a foul. You look how players of similar strength, like David Silva, stay on their feet more and don't give the ball away that cheaply. If he could at least work on that he'd be a very decent player. Obviously no one expects him to develop dribbling and passing skills like Silva and to become a star player.

Anyhow, good performance from him yesterday. Credit when it's due.

Status
Not open for further replies.