Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Needs to be played more centrally for us where he does his best work.

I've been arguing for a while that United best formation is a 4-3-1-2 with him rotating with others (Mata) as the AM behind the two strikers (and occasionally moving into the position of striker during attacking transitions). That formation would make best use of the squad personnel we have (although we could do with better attacking training for our FB's) and allow him to play in his best natural position as he often does for England where he has occasionally played wide but during the summer actually played as one of two AM's behind Kane with license to drift wide if necessary but staying mostly central.

haram

I never said he is the problem, but one of many. Average players produce average results more often than not.
No one said he was world class. He is a good player and deserves his place in the squad. It’s not his fault the board wont pay up for a real winger.

Kostov

That would be because on the very rare occasions we have looked like a fluid and effective attacking team he's been heavily involved in all our best football.
He has also been heavily involved in the most disastrous games of last season. On the top of my head, City at home, Spurs away, defeats at Huddersfield, West Bromwich and Newcastle, the Sevilla game, FA Cup semi vs Chelsea. My point, it’s hardly anything to do with him whether we play ok or we are shocking.

Kostov

No one said he was world class. He is a good player and deserves his place in the squad. It’s not his fault the board wont pay up for a real winger.
Neither did I say otherwise. Agree with that, we need a RW, and it’s been the case for a while.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Generally agree with you Pogue, but he has been horrible this season. Could even argue this is his worst season since being in the first team, and there has been a few contenders for that. There is no doubting he is a much better player for England, but for United he just rarely delivers (whether it's his position or what). He really needs to improve. 0 goals since February is just completely unacceptable.
He's definitely not good enough on the wing, which is where he's played the vast majority of his games for us in that time. Of course nobody else really stands out as being any better, so that's another issue in itself. He, Rashford and Mata are all terrible out there sometimes, but other times they'll have a decent match and look like the best option for a while.

Lingard might, but probably not, be good enough playing in a three man midfield. That's where he normally plays for England, and where he did decently (although not great) in a few games for us. He's generally better there than on the wing, although still probably not good enough.

His best position, and the one where he played during his purple patch, is as a #10. For the relatively brief period of time where he got to play there he actually was good enough, although it's uncertain whether or not he would have been able to keep that up. Unfortunately for him we've moved away from the formation to try to get the best out of other players, so he's in a difficult situation.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I like him.
His movement is good and he knows how to find space. He has pace and a good shot.

Like many players he needs a run of games to improve his consistancy and if Jose is going to play with a more attacking style then that would suit Lingard better.

SerenityValley

I never said he is the problem, but one of many. Average players produce average results more often than not.
Out of interest - who are the other players you consider one of many? I’m interested in seeing if you have 49 posts on their threads criticising them.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Love to see how he would do under a proper attacking manager. Pep would probably take his game on to another level in fairness. Poch too.

Kostov

Out of interest - who are the other players you consider one of many? I’m interested in seeing if you have 49 posts on their threads criticising them.
Who said all our problems are average players getting more minutes than they should? Are you Jesse Lingard’s guardian angel or something?

Kostov

Love to see how he would do under a proper attacking manager. Pep would probably take his game on to another level in fairness. Poch too.
Pep would have probably sold him in his first summer there. Look at the players they have in his position, and their technical ability compared to Jesse.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Jesse Lingard is too good for Jose Mourinho now?

Our fan base is a fecking mess isn’t it. Heard it all now
When did I say that? I said I'd like to see how he do under a more attack minded coach. Never said he was too good for Jose.

A lot of our players would benefit from a change of approach. Sorry to deal you a nice plate of reality my friend.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
When did I say that? I said I'd like to see how he do under a more attack minded coach. Never said he was too good for Jose.

A lot of our players would benefit from a change of approach. Sorry to deal you a nice plate of reality my friend.
He played his best ever season under Jose last season. He got into the England side because of it.

I like Jesse and think he’s got a huge role at the club but there is not a chance we should be building around him or wanting him to start under different managers. If a different manager came in he’d HOPEFULLY be battling for a place on the bench.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He played his best ever season under Jose last season. He got into the England side because of it.

I like Jesse and think he’s got a huge role at the club but there is not a chance we should be building around him or wanting him to start under different managers. If a different manager came in he’d HOPEFULLY be battling for a place on the bench.
Again when did I mention building a team around him? Just an observation I'd like to see how he'd get on under an attacking coach. He may do badly, who knows.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I thought this guy was all figured out. Play him through the middle and he's a good player, play him out wide and he's completely average. Considering our squad structure the only no.10 getting into the team is Messi, James Rodriguez at a push. Lingard is not that level of player to orchestrate our offensive play, Pogba on the other hand is and so we have moved away from a no.10.

Negan

He’s bang average. A good squad player but that’s it.

Look at it like this... City have De De Bruyne , Silva and Bernardo. We have Lingard.

And we wonder why we’re so far behind them.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Average player playing under an average manager at Utd means that he is producing average performances.

Average player playing under a slightly above average manager for England means that he is producing mostly average and some slightly above average performances.

It‘s not rocket science.

Also Kane is a hundred times better than Lukaku, which makes the Utd players like Lingard and Rashford look better in general. That observation is not based on the croatia game, but on the whole of 2018.

Ekeke

And when people get told that Sterling is a system player greatly benefitting from the way Guardiola plays and incorporated him, they deny it and claim that he's some top 3 ballon d'or contender.
Ronaldo and Rooney took a while to get off the mark in the champions league. It didnt stop them becoming good goalscorers and it wasnt because of the system.

Young players just need to mature and improve, especially those who arent naturally goalscorers like Sterling. Without a doubt City's system is helping him just like most of the other players in their squad. But you'll find most wingers who dont start off being good finishers will improve their record as they get older.

haram

Average player playing under an average manager at Utd means that he is producing average performances.

Average player playing under a slightly above average manager for England means that he is producing mostly average and some slightly above average performances.

It‘s not rocket science.

Also Kane is a hundred times better than Lukaku, which makes the Utd players like Lingard and Rashford look better in general. That observation is not based on the croatia game, but on the whole of 2018.
Oh so now Southgate is a better manager than Mourinho.

Why did Jesse play better for United last season then? Do some of you even think before you post?

meamth

Oh so now Southgate is a better manager than Mourinho.

Why did Jesse play better for United last season then? Do some of you even think before you post?
Knee jerk at its best. The kid just came back from long break.

An Irish Red

Guardiola would make sure he was sold before the first training session. He isn't good enough for a top team. The only reason he's still here is because of his academy status.

If we were even remotely ruthless (like Real, Bayern et al) we would have sold him years ago.

Mcking

Guardiola would make sure he was sold before the first training session. He isn't good enough for a top team. The only reason he's still here is because of his academy status.

If we were even remotely ruthless (like Real, Bayern et al) we would have sold him years ago.
Excellent. Must have required serious thinking and analysis for you to come to that conclusion.

An Irish Red

Excellent. Must have required serious thinking and analysis for you to come to that conclusion.
Just common sense. Guardiola had De Bruyne, Bernardo Silva, David Silva, Sane and Sterling (all much better than Lingard) and still went out and bought Mahrez.

That's the level of attacker he likes. He'd never make do with Lingard. Nor should we.

Mcking

Just common sense. Guardiola had De Bruyne, Bernardo Silva, David Silva, Sane and Sterling (all much better than Lingard) and still went out and bought Mahrez.

That's the level of attacker he likes. He'd never make do with Lingard. Nor should we.
He probably wouldn't have bought one of them if he had Lingard.

Mcking

:lol:

He bought Bernardo Silva even though he had KDB and D. Silva. Bernardo Silva is levels above Lingard.
He bought Sane and Mahrez too. The point still stands. He probably wouldn't have bought one of them if he had Lingard.

Welbeck's England magic is a myth. He's generally scored against absolute rubbish.
So exactly like Welbeck then. Other than Croatia the other night Lingard's England goals have come against two teams that didn't qualify for the last WC and the one that won the wooden spoon at it.

Kostov

He bought Sane and Mahrez too. The point still stands. He probably wouldn't have bought one of them if he had Lingard.
There are some laughable posts on here about Lingard, but this takes the biscuit. Lingard is not a good enough footballer to play as an attacker/ attacking midfielder for Pep Guardiola, simple as. All of those mentioned on here have superior technical ability to Jesse, it's not even comparable.

Mcking

There are some laughable posts on here about Lingard, but this takes the biscuit. Lingard is not a good enough footballer to play as an attacker/ attacking midfielder for Pep Guardiola, simple as. All of those mentioned on here have superior technical ability to Jesse, it's not even comparable.
Doesn't make any difference to what I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.