4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostov

If players like Lingard frustrate you, I don't think the Ole era is for you. There is a very clear lean towards building the squad around players who came through the academy. Ole values their mentality and they will be front and centre in the squad while he is in charge.
If that's Ole's plan then he will fail. Coming through the academy should mean feck all if you are an average football player like Lingard.

He's a worse footballer than Park and does not have the same workrate as him.

If the last few months under Ole have shown anything, it's that you need depth in the squad. United were playing well with the same front 6 at the start of Ole's reign. A couple of injuries and the style has to change as you can't play high tempo football with Mata, Sanchez and Lukaku in attack.

At worst, Lingard is a really good squad option.

The problem with the United attack is the experienced big money signings, not the young/academy players. Mata, Lukaku and Sanchez aren't at the level their status in the squad/salary demands.
At best he should be a squad option and that's generous.

Lingard is also older than Lukaku and earns over 100k a week, because he's from the academy we should tolerate him being absolute dross while actually a better servant like Lukaku should be scrutinized because he is not?

deadrevelz

If that's Ole's plan then he will fail. Coming through the academy should mean feck all if you are an average football player like Lingard.

He's a worse footballer than Park and does not have the same workrate as him.

At best he should be a squad option and that's generous.

Lingard is also older than Lukaku and earns over 100k a week, because he's from the academy we should tolerate him being absolute dross while actually a better servant like Lukaku should be scrutinized because he is not?
Players who come through the academy cost very little so if they can do a job as a squad player like Butt, P. Neville, O'Shea, Brown, Evans, Lingard, McTominay they are very useful. They are less likely to complain about playing time and force a move elsewhere and their wages are usually low. They contribute to home grown talent quotas and also inspire kids from the academy that they can make it. This also attracts other kids to join the academy if they can see a pathway to the first team.

Lingard on current form though is lucky to get a place on the bench I agree. Hopefully next season we are not relying on him and he will have to actually contribute if he wants to play.

Kostov

Players who come through the academy cost very little so if they can do a job as a squad player like Butt, P. Neville, O'Shea, Brown, Evans, Lingard, McTominay they are very useful. They are less likely to complain about playing time and force a move elsewhere and their wages are usually low. They contribute to home grown talent quotas and also inspire kids from the academy that they can make it. This also attracts other kids to join the academy if they can see a pathway to the first team.

Lingard on current form though is lucky to get a place on the bench I agree. Hopefully next season we are not relying on him and he will have to actually contribute if he wants to play.
Yes, what you are pointing out is very true about cost and playing squad roles. In the same time everyone (bar Scott who's journey is at the start) was a better player at their respective position than Lingard is in his. To top it off, most of them played in positions where their general lack of talent could be compensated by workrate and commitment. Lingard plays in a position where you can't compensate general lack of talent regarding the essentials of playing as an attacker by running and even working harder, and then even his workrate is questionable in the last period.

At the same time, what type of message does it sent when an average talent who's going to be 27 by the end of the year is getting chance after chance and blocking the pathway of superior talents from the youth team? I sincerely feel playing anyone of Chong, Gomes or Greenwood is a better option than Lingard. Apart from the few goals here and there he offers absolutely nothing going forward.

Keefy18

Wow!

He's a regular England international. He's not a superstar but he's a very good squad player who came through the academy.

His role in the squad should be similar to Park. High octane, high energy game linking play and being able to play specific roles in big games. But he certainly shouldn't be a guaranteed starter and you need to surround him with more quality.

He should definitely not be in the team at the moment. His performances have been dire but criticising his effort is harsh. He's just in poor form and being outclassed by better players.

If players like Lingard frustrate you, I don't think the Ole era is for you. There is a very clear lean towards building the squad around players who came through the academy. Ole values their mentality and they will be front and centre in the squad while he is in charge.
There's plenty of rubbish players in the England set up, Hell Smalling should be in the England team and isn't. It's not really a great barometer to judge a players ability.

Park was effective and provided a lot more than Lingard has.

Finally, I'm not so sure Ole rates him that highly. I mean we seem to be chasing a RW as a priority for the summer, meaning he'll drop down the ranks.

There's no place for sentimentality here, we need to be getting back to the top of the league again and Lingard simply is not going to do that for us.

Intilo

I got abused when i said form is temporary shite is permanent when he went through purple patch.He is weak , slow , can't pass, can't dribble , literally pointless player.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I really don't understand Ole's logic in playing as the striker when Jesse is really ineffective as a forward.

deadrevelz

Yes, what you are pointing out is very true about cost and playing squad roles. In the same time everyone (bar Scott who's journey is at the start) was a better player at their respective position than Lingard is in his. To top it off, most of them played in positions where their general lack of talent could be compensated by workrate and commitment. Lingard plays in a position where you can't compensate general lack of talent regarding the essentials of playing as an attacker by running and even working harder, and then even his workrate is questionable in the last period.

At the same time, what type of message does it sent when an average talent who's going to be 27 by the end of the year is getting chance after chance and blocking the pathway of superior talents from the youth team? I sincerely feel playing anyone of Chong, Gomes or Greenwood is a better option than Lingard. Apart from the few goals here and there he offers absolutely nothing going forward.
Yes your last point about blocking youth players is fair. I'm hoping Ole's reluctance to play them is because he feels it's not good for their development to be in a high pressure situation surrounded by dross because they will likely fail, and not because he doesn't have faith in young players or they're not good enough. The three you mentioned aren't exactly replacements for Lingard either, apart from maybe Chong who has had a few games and didn't really perform well. That's why we've had Dalot playing as a winger at times.

United58

I'm hoping Ole's reluctance to play them is because he feels it's not good for their development to be in a high pressure situation surrounded by dross because they will likely fail
By that logic though, we'd keep waiting for the perfect opportunity to play them until their contracts ran out/they stagnated in the reserves.

Look at Rashford - he was thrown in at the deep end and thrived on his ability and work ethic.

I hope we see players like Greenwood get (more) chances soon - if playing during a heavy loss is blamed for a player not making it, that player didn't have the mentality to make it at a top club anyway.

Kaglish10

Our new Cleverly. Absolutely nothing player with constant sideways passes but with the occasional goals. I wouldn't mind him as a squad player if he wasn't on a huge wage.

Aloysius's Back 3

By that logic though, we'd keep waiting for the perfect opportunity to play them until their contracts ran out/they stagnated in the reserves.

Look at Rashford - he was thrown in at the deep end and thrived on his ability and work ethic.

I hope we see players like Greenwood get (more) chances soon - if playing during a heavy loss is blamed for a player not making it, that player didn't have the mentality to make it at a top club anyway.
He's doing it in preseason.

He is planning to sell more than to bring it to make the youth part of the quantity of the squad not necessarily to address the quality aspect of it straight away.

If he brings them in now & United fail to get Top 4 - the players that need to be blamed will be blamed by our own staff & the press & the fans.

So pre-season is arguably the most important it's ever been for United.

-Supreme-

Totally agree. We need to buy a first choice RW, and give the remaining game time to our youth players like Chong, Gomes or Greenwood.

Kostov

Yes your last point about blocking youth players is fair. I'm hoping Ole's reluctance to play them is because he feels it's not good for their development to be in a high pressure situation surrounded by dross because they will likely fail, and not because he doesn't have faith in young players or they're not good enough. The three you mentioned aren't exactly replacements for Lingard either, apart from maybe Chong who has had a few games and didn't really perform well. That's why we've had Dalot playing as a winger at times.
Now is the best time to do it. After this summer he will bring in his own big money signing and the pressure will be on him to deliver and them to succeed. There will be always pressure for players at this club. Only the best should be tolerated and same applies with youth products.

Minimalist

He's had a particularly poor season even for his modest standards. I tend to think we should keep players like himself for the squad as when he's on form he's got that high energy, quick passing and for some reason, can whack a decent goal from long-range.

Haven't seen him play like that since with England in the world cup though. Right now, you'd say goodbye in a heartbeat.

Patrick08

I really don't understand Ole's logic in playing as the striker when Jesse is really ineffective as a forward.
He was a false 9 who was supposed to be all over the pitch and press from the front specially press busquests and stop him from dictating the game, drop deep to create overloads when on the ball. He was so effing poor all game .

deadrevelz

Now is the best time to do it. After this summer he will bring in his own big money signing and the pressure will be on him to deliver and them to succeed. There will be always pressure for players at this club. Only the best should be tolerated and same applies with youth products.
We're still fighting for top 4. Some on here say it's not important, but it is and I'm sure Ole and the players agree. If we lose our next 2 games then yes play the kids. As the other poster said, they will have preseason and League Cup / FA Cup games next season. We'll be releasing more players than we sign this summer so I don't think there is an issue with squad size.

Kostov

We're still fighting for top 4. Some on here say it's not important, but it is and I'm sure Ole and the players agree. If we lose our next 2 games then yes play the kids. As the other poster said, they will have preseason and League Cup / FA Cup games next season. We'll be releasing more players than we sign this summer so I don't think there is an issue with squad size.
Well playing the likes of Lingard isn't helping our chances for top 4 some of you fail to grasp that. I sincerely think what Lingard brings to the table any of the 3 I mentioned can bring along with other things respectively. It's not about squad size, it's about the same underperforming overpaid pros that get into the team despite being awful.

United58

He's doing it in preseason.

He is planning to sell more than to bring it to make the youth part of the quantity of the squad not necessarily to address the quality aspect of it straight away.
What makes you think that? Not calling you out - I'd love for this to be the case, has ole given quotes about this kind of thing?

I'd love for us to ship out the underperforming players on massive wages like Mata, Sanchez, Young, Valencia, Rojo, Darmian (and sadly Herrera seems to be gone too) and go for hungry signings and our own highly talented youth crop.

Being in the Europa League could actually be a small blessing in the sense that we'll get to see more of Greenwood et al there. I'm a sucker for having youth players in the team :drool:

RedNed77

He's had a particularly poor season even for his modest standards. I tend to think we should keep players like himself for the squad as when he's on form he's got that high energy, quick passing and for some reason, can whack a decent goal from long-range.

Haven't seen him play like that since with England in the world cup though. Right now, you'd say goodbye in a heartbeat.
Pretty much this, I want to like the lad and would love it if our entire 11 were homegrown, Manc academy products. But he just doesn’t bring enough. Squad option, maybe, but he shouldn’t be a first team consideration. His work rate isn’t high enough to cover his failings and lack of consistency. I was shocked to learn he was 26 the other day. He’s not going to get any better than he currently is.

deadrevelz

Well playing the likes of Lingard isn't helping our chances for top 4 some of you fail to grasp that. I sincerely think what Lingard brings to the table any of the 3 I mentioned can bring along with other things respectively. It's not about squad size, it's about the same underperforming overpaid pros that get into the team despite being awful.
You just took that whole comment out of context... I was talking about pressure. Lingard isn't affected by it, younger players probably will be. Also our team is playing poorly in general, it's not just Lingard. Rashford, Martial, Lukaku, Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Young have all had terrible games recently. There is little to be gained from playing young players in a badly performing side which is still under big pressure to win the next 5 games against tough opponents. So far the young players have played due to injury crisis (PSG) and a couple of games for experience. They have shown nothing that warrants their inclusion in the first team. That's not a criticism of their ability, just a fact. Just because they have higher potential, doesn't mean they are better now. People forget that in Rashford and Dalot we already have two young players in our first team. Shaw and Lindelof are also young for defenders.

And your last point makes no sense. I just said that we'll be releasing players in the summer who don't perform. Obviously that will increase chances for youth players to make it through into the first team next season. What's not to understand?

deadrevelz

What makes you think that? Not calling you out - I'd love for this to be the case, has ole given quotes about this kind of thing?

I'd love for us to ship out the underperforming players on massive wages like Mata, Sanchez, Young, Valencia, Rojo, Darmian (and sadly Herrera seems to be gone too) and go for hungry signings and our own highly talented youth crop.

Being in the Europa League could actually be a small blessing in the sense that we'll get to see more of Greenwood et al there. I'm a sucker for having youth players in the team :drool:
There has been lots of media pieces about this (some likely leaks from United) and Ole's philosophy from his time with United and Molde has been to buy and bring through young players. He dropped Lukaku for Rashford when he came in. The club doesn't like buying older players for financial reasons and there are stories about the older players not getting new contracts. So I would say there is an extremely high chance of underperforming older players to be shipped out this summer. Fellaini went in January, Valencia confirmed to be leaving. Darmian and Rojo set to leave. Club not desperate to keep Herrera or Mata. Sanchez would be sold if possible. I think Matic would be under threat if we weren't already losing Herrera.

Average age of the squad is about to tumble I reckon. There could realistically up to 10 players leaving and I only see us signing 4/5 maximum. So the rest of the squad will be filled with youth players.

United58

There has been lots of media pieces about this (some likely leaks from United) and Ole's philosophy from his time with United and Molde has been to buy and bring through young players. He dropped Lukaku for Rashford when he came in. The club doesn't like buying older players for financial reasons and there are stories about the older players not getting new contracts. So I would say there is an extremely high chance of underperforming older players to be shipped out this summer. Fellaini went in January, Valencia confirmed to be leaving. Darmian and Rojo set to leave. Club not desperate to keep Herrera or Mata. Sanchez would be sold if possible. I think Matic would be under threat if we weren't already losing Herrera.

Average age of the squad is about to tumble I reckon. There could realistically up to 10 players leaving and I only see us signing 4/5 maximum. So the rest of the squad will be filled with youth players.
Cheers, thanks for your perspective. This would be great if true - lowering the wage and average age of the squad would be brilliant. We need hungry players here, not the likes of Sanchez - or the likes of Rojo, Jones and Bailly who are never fit!

ForestRGoinUp

Terrible really.

But you don't really need stats to see how pointless of a forward player he is.
Take out one of Ole’s first matches against Cardiff or whoever the feck it was and he’s on 3 goals and 2 assists all year.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He was playing pretty well when Solskjaer came in and was linking up well with Pogba, Rashford and Martial but has been dreadful for a while now and has been long before Solskjaer. I think we'll keep him around next season and sell him after the Euros, although I'd be half tempted to get rid this summer. Overall in his time here, he's not been good enough, simply put.

I've gone from thinking he could eventually be a good squad player to completely unconvinced, he might be from the academy but we'll see better academy graduates than him. We've got a rebuild on our hands and letting go of players like Lingard before they reach 28/29 is a good start. I wish he'd been better and I honestly do believe he's shown promise but just lacks the mentality to succeed and be consistent here, he's 26 now and any hope of him improving has long since evaporated.

He’s terrible which wouldn’t be so bad if manager after manager didn’t end up starting him so often. He must have by far the worst stats of any attacking player at a top club in Europe over his 150 or so games.

I’d play a shite out of form washed up Sanchez over him every day of the week.

Kostov

You just took that whole comment out of context... I was talking about pressure. Lingard isn't affected by it, younger players probably will be.
That's the point, Lingard should be affected by pressure, he is not, simply because he's been shite and he's still playing. And ultimately whether he is affected by pressure or not is far less important, he's not good enough, he's actually useless as shown even though as you say pressure does not affect him. Play shit against West Ham start in the CL against Barcelona. No pressure to deliver since apparently movement and running is good enough for most of you.

There should always be pressure at the highest level and these young players will have to learn to live with it. Apparently now we are teaching them that you can be an underperforming average footballer who's useless and gets picked while earning 100k+ a week.

Also our team is playing poorly in general, it's not just Lingard. Rashford, Martial, Lukaku, Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Young have all had terrible games recently.
Our team is playing poorly in general but if you fail to see how awful and useless Lingard is by a mile then nothing can be done. And it's not like it's the last 2 games. He's had plenty of shit games even when we were winning, just nobody wanted to state the obvious. I was branded as a hater for stating the obvious. Now the revolt is much bigger since we are loosing.

Young falls in the same category as Lingard and he's wearing the armband. Matic has been underperforming as well and still getting picked, so it's not only Lingard. Lukaku gets slated on here regularly even though he's much more useful then Jesse. Martial and Rashford should be criticized as well, but they've been better than Lingard even though being younger.

There is little to be gained from playing young players in a badly performing side which is still under big pressure to win the next 5 games against tough opponents. So far the young players have played due to injury crisis (PSG) and a couple of games for experience. They have shown nothing that warrants their inclusion in the first team. That's not a criticism of their ability, just a fact. Just because they have higher potential, doesn't mean they are better now. People forget that in Rashford and Dalot we already have two young players in our first team. Shaw and Lindelof are also young for defenders.
How can you say there's little to be gained from playing young players? And what is to be gained by playing the same shit overpaid pros who have let us down so many times? What exactly? Is young going to turn into Cafu over night? No he won't he will probably cost us again in the next 5 games just like he did against Wolves. Or is Lingard going to turn into Christian Eriksen over night? No they won't.

Or you say they haven't shown anything that warrants their inclusion. Have these players on 100k a week shown they deserve to wear this shirt? No they haven't, and we award them with game time while 3 of the most promising players in the last couple of years don't.

And your last point makes no sense. I just said that we'll be releasing players in the summer who don't perform. Obviously that will increase chances for youth players to make it through into the first team next season. What's not to understand?
What's in there that makes no sense? Lingard just finished 90 minutes at the Nou Camp after being absolutely appalling, and that after being absolutely appalling over the weekend. In addition we just renewed the contracts of Young and Phil Jones, two players who have been absolutely woeful so many times. That's awarding being shite and it makes no sense.

Man Utd 0:2 Man City

Zoo

When you need to dig your team out or even your own individual performance scoring a goal can do much. For someone who plays so much in such important positions his end product is simply not good enough. It’s frustrating as hell.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Nothing player. Give that 2 chances to any other strikers and we score .

El Zoido

Shouldn’t be anywhere near the first team let alone playing 82 minutes.

Bojan11

I’m praying he’s the first one to leave. But sadly Ole loves him too much.

Raven

I've always defended Lingard, but that performance tonight was one of the worst I've ever seen from a United player. It really blew my mind just how bad he was.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Think he has to go in the summer. Starter, squad player, whatever - it’s not at this club for me. Nowhere near the level. Will be very surprised if he ever plays another game for England either, unless his Bournemouth form goes through a purple patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.