Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Wow, now arguments on hypothetical scenarios which can't be proven anyways :lol:

Mcking

It still stands in the sense that you posted it. It isn't based in reality however. Lingard is a run of the mill attacker. They're straight out the door when Guardiola takes over.
That would be true if Guardiola said so. We are both making baseless assumptions. The problem is you make yours sound like facts. I will just ignore the underlined part.

An Irish Red

That would be true if Guardiola said so. We are both making baseless assumptions. The problem is you make yours sound like facts. I will just ignore the underlined part.
It's not baseless to assume that Guardiola would happily sell Lingard. It's based on his entire career and the sort of quality that he likes.

Also, Lingard is the definition of run of the mill. West Ham have Felipe Anderson, Yarmolenko, Arnautovic and Lanzini who are better. He's average.

Mcking

It's not baseless to assume that Guardiola would happily sell Lingard. It's based on his entire career and the sort of quality that he likes.

Also, Lingard is the definition of run of the mill. West Ham have Felipe Anderson, Yarmolenko, Arnautovic and Lanzini who are better. He's average.
The tone really did change there.

Stadjer

Is it that strange to assume that Guardiala would have booted him out? Guardiola can almost get any player so why would he settle for mediocrity like Lingard?

He booted out their aging backs, didnt play Yaya because he wanted him out, bought Nolito and quickly sold him because he wasnt good enough, removed Mangala from the club, replaced Hart with Bravo and replaced Bravo with Ederson.

Guardiola is ruthless at City because he doesnt have to think about money but he also doesnt want average players. Lingard would be playing for Newcastle if Guardiala was the United manager.

steakpie

I wouldn't play Lingard on the wing, he looks really poor there. I am still having disturbing flashbacks of his counter attack vs Juve when he ran to the corner instead of the goal.

However, he could do ok as the right sided central midfielder. But I would still be satisfied if we sold him for £30m+

Sauldogba

The fact that people on here deem him to be good enough shows you how far our standards have fallen post Fergie.
Would he get into the starting 11 of City, Liverpool or Chelsea? No.

He would be called what he rightfully is.
An average player which we have way too many of clogging up our squad on obscene wages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You may get away with being average in midfield and defense, as long as you work hard and willing to get stuck in. But being average in attack, which Lingard is, shouldn't be tolerated.

SerenityValley

Who said all our problems are average players getting more minutes than they should? Are you Jesse Lingard’s guardian angel or something?
So that will be a no.

You harp on and on obsessively about Lingard; he is your scapegoat. Which is fine - some people need a scapegoat.

Kostov

So that will be a no.

You harp on and on obsessively about Lingard; he is your scapegoat. Which is fine - some people need a scapegoat.
Scapegoat for what exactly genius? Fans like you have a problem in accepting what an average player he is. I have no issue with it, and it’s nothing to do with Lingard. The issue is the guy who plays him more than he should, and that’s Mourinho.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Lingard plays more than he should??? That's news to me. Have you seen our right wing options? Someone has to play there. Just come out and say you want him sold, because if he plays any less he'd get 10 starts a season and want to move for play time.

He has not gotten more than 20 starts in the league in his whole career at United. This idea that Lingard gets played too much is unfounded unless you think he should be sold. He gets game time just like other squad players.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Local lad.

In all seriousness I think there's a decent player in him. A poorer version of Park maybe but he's the sort of player you put in a team that's doing really well overall with high quality talent as the runner who does the dirty work.

That said under no circumstances does it make sense to select him in the situation we are in. I do think he'd make a very good player of the bench for a top side or a third option in midfield as a runner.

Offers good movement, ill give him that, which is more than some in our team. He'd be a good foil for a mobile forward line but right now he doesnt have the ability to string together what little opportunities we create.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I thought he was decent. Would've liked to have seen him behind Alexis today.

CM

Yeah I didn't think he was bad at all. Even if you didn't think it was a brilliant performance, he was at least playing with a bit of energy and had the intent to win the ball back quickly when we lost it. Certainly more than can be said for other players in this side.

Ludens the Red

Local lad.

In all seriousness I think there's a decent player in him. A poorer version of Park maybe but he's the sort of player you put in a team that's doing really well overall with high quality talent as the runner who does the dirty work.

That said under no circumstances does it make sense to select him in the situation we are in. I do think he'd make a very good player of the bench for a top side or a third option in midfield as a runner.
this.

Glaswegian

Local lad.

He's a good squad player. Like you say, he'd be perfect off the bench in a better performing team. Far too many squad players in the first 11 at the moment.

JoaquinJoaquin

Standards are so low from some our fans now that they are able to tolerate mediocrity it seems. He has had less than a handful of good games since his last goal for us (February). Truly shocking when you think about it.

AndyJ1985

If we had a great first team he would perhaps be useful to have around on the fringes as a backup - you can't have 25 world class players after all. But the fact he's a regular first team player speaks volumes about the shocking state of our team.

Devil may care

Started off looking sharp but faded as our clear lack of attacking plan came to light and he was left to his own devices.

Foxbatt

Was one of our better players, then got taken off, because Mourinho
He was one of our better players during the first half. He was both attacking and defending and I even wondered if he can keep up that intensity. When you have a disaster like Matic it is obvious that someone had to defend.

Robbie Boy

Criticize or praise but please stop using the phrase “local lad” in a derogatory manner. It’s childish
Nearly as bad as the hilarious ‘local ladded it in’ banter last season when he hit a few goals.

All in all, he won me over last season and I would be happy for him to be a squad player. Thing is, for a so called ‘squad player’ he plays a hell of a lot of football. It wouldn’t be my definition of a ‘squad player’. I didn’t actually think he was that bad today but the bar is ridiculously low at this stage.

Zoo

You know things are crap when the usually happy-go-lucky Lingard looks pissed off.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He played centrally in this game and still look crap. What's the next excuse?

billybee99

He played centrally in this game and still look crap. What's the next excuse?
His "movement" I would imagine; seems to be the go-to line for his defenders. They can't use the "he was played out of position" this week.

Glaswegian

Nearly as bad as the hilarious ‘local ladded it in’ banter last season when he hit a few goals.

All in all, he won me over last season and I would be happy for him to be a squad player. Thing is, for a so called ‘squad player’ he plays a hell of a lot of football. It wouldn’t be my definition of a ‘squad player’. I didn’t actually think he was that bad today but the bar is ridiculously low at this stage.
Don't know if you are getting at me there with that, all I was meaning is that Lingard is a really good wee player. He wouldn't look out of place in a Fergie side, coming off from the bench, you need players like him. I'd want player ahead of him with that wee bit more. He is obviously playing a lot of football at the moment because there is no one better than him in the team currently, and I think it shows over the course of a season he lacks that wee bit extra that we need hence why I said he'd be a great squad player.

Strong squad or not, United would miss a player like him.

Irwin99

Didn't see the game. Did he play on the right again or centrally?

Status
Not open for further replies.