g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Jesse Lingard image 14

Jesse Lingard England flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostov

It doesn't speak about anything, and it doesn't translate into anything. What matters is what he does on the pitch, the training ground and the dressing room, his professionalism and his performances. I can't remember any complaint about Lingard's attitude and you could see he clearly works hard on the pitch - likely does off the pitch too, and performs to the best of his ability. Because you don't like a particular player doesn't mean you should get worked up at irrelevant things.
Jesse Lingard not scoring since last season scores a goal in December and celebrates like he did vs Arsenal, despite being shit for the majority of the game, speaks volumes how the mentality stinks at this football club. Most of them should bury their heads in the sand since they’ve been appalling despite Mourinho or whoever else is involved.

And yeah it does matter what he does on the pitch, it’s the most important thing, but he does so little, while he acts like some relevant football figure. He might be lucky and this total shambles continues while he goes into his late twenties. At any properly run big club he would be out of the door and playing for Watford very fast.

Steerpike

Jesse Lingard is one of the players I feel never gives us cause to question his commitment - the other standouts in this regard are Marcus Rashford and Ander Herrera. For that reason alone, given our current predicament, those three would be among the first names on the teamsheet for me.

Loublaze

ATLien
Jesse Lingard not scoring since last season scores a goal in December and celebrates like he did vs Arsenal, despite being shit for the majority of the game, speaks volumes how the mentality stinks at this football club. Most of them should bury their heads in the sand since they’ve been appalling despite Mourinho or whoever else is involved.

And yeah it does matter what he does on the pitch, it’s the most important thing, but he does so little, while he acts like some relevant football figure. He might be lucky and this total shambles continues while he goes into his late twenties. At any properly run big club he would be out of the door and playing for Watford very fast.
Seems you're more upset over his celebrations and how he conducts himself than anything else. Lingard scored against Arsenal right after Rojo gifted them their second. It was all frenetic. How dare he celebrate and do little dance after scoring for the club he's given most of his life to?

ForestRGoinUp

Seems you're more upset over his celebrations and how he conducts himself than anything else. Lingard scored against Arsenal right after Rojo gifted them their second. It was all frenetic. How dare he celebrate and do little dance after scoring for the club he's given most of his life to?
Gotta let these guys dance and celebrate and live in the moment. The bottom line is scoring premier league goals is such a rare thing for anyone, so it is pointless to worry about how a guy celebrates in those moments.

Having said that...goal celebrations aside...there is something about the club at the moment that I can't put my finger on. Something that is feeding the egos of young players who have proved relatively little or closer to nothing at all in some cases. We saw it with Memphis for sure, and I don't think it's unfair to say that Lingard, Rashford, Shaw and Martial to some extent and even Pogba and Lukaku (though Pogba has proved some things) have an air about themselves that does not match their abilities or accomplishments. This I guess could be said about the club in general too, boasting about revenues as they slide down the tables and take legitimate criticism on the chin week after week. It all wreaks of a severe lack of self awareness which is the most cringey and awkward part of what I'm witnessing at the club.

But what on earth has turned Jesse Lingard into a guy who stands over players that have just been fouled ? Or Rashford into a guy who seems all too quick to go nose to nose with opponents - or to give up on plays to shout at the ref. Is it the ghost of Wayne Rooney's last couple of years still haunting the club? What is feeding that sort of confidence in a guy like Lingard that has scored 2 league goals in 12 months or in a group of players that, for better or worse, are being called non-footballers every weekend?

I don't mean this as only criticism of the players. I think their attitudes are the result of the club's attitude in general - things that are being said behind the scenes, possibly the talk of earning new sponsorship deals being more commonplace than why we aren't winning more matches. But I also wouldn't be so quick to anoint these guys the future of a club like United when they've gone around acting like kings with laughable trophy cabinets.

Some of this is tough to explain. Does anyone agree or can you clear up my sentiments?

Edit: to add to my list of examples, who in the feck has Romelu Lukaku thinking he should be doing all these stepovers???? It's like a fecking twilight zone we're in.

Ekeke

Apparently Mata makes the attack look better when he is playing. In reality, it is actually Lingard. Without his energy, movement and natural ability to find space, the attack is so inflexible and disjointed. He offers something none of our other players does.
I think its neither. Both can occasionally do something very good, a nice piece of buildup play or a well taken goal but will then have 3 or 4 games on the periphery of the matches. Martial and Rashford are more effective

Mcking

I think its neither. Both can occasionally do something very good, a nice piece of buildup play or a well taken goal but will then have 3 or 4 games on the periphery of the matches. Martial and Rashford are more effective
Although they don't affect the game a lot production wise, I'd say having them on the pitch usually bring the best out of Martial, Rashford and our attack as a whole. Lingard and Mata are our only two attackers that have anything close to good movement. Without them, it is so easy to put men on Martial and Rashford and shackle them. Lingard and Mata move the call much faster than our other attackers, are very good at one-touch football, their decision making is the best among our attackers. They are constantly on the move, and their movement + Lingard's stamina allows us to move the ball faster and consistently stay on the front foot. With them, our attack is much more fluid, provides the midfield with more passing options - dropping deep and advancing beyond the opposition's defensive line - and through ball options, and allows Martial and Rashford to consistently isolate their fullbacks. There is a reason Martial, Rashford and Lukaku barely perform well together in a front three.

Ekeke

Although they don't affect the game a lot production wise, I'd say having them on the pitch usually bring the best out of Martial, Rashford and our attack as a whole. Lingard and Mata are our only two attackers that have anything close to good movement. Without them, it is so easy to put men on Martial and Rashford and shackle them. Lingard and Mata move the call much faster than our other attackers, are very good at one-touch football, their decision making is the best among our attackers. They are constantly on the move, and their movement + Lingard's stamina allows us to move the ball faster and consistently stay on the front foot. With them, our attack is much more fluid, provides the midfield with more passing options - dropping deep and advancing beyond the opposition's defensive line - and through ball options, and allows Martial and Rashford to consistently isolate their fullbacks. There is a reason Martial, Rashford and Lukaku barely perform well together in a front three.
I do think they have the best movement, but Martial and Rashford are at their best running at players and that has nothing to do with Lingard and Mata. Rashford as a provider has been at his best recently teeing up Lukaku. Martial is often disappointing with his pass and yet somehow he has statistically played the last pass before a shot more than any of our other players. Both are best at making something for themselves. But yet they are also 2 of our better providers along with Sanchez.

Mata and Lingard surprisingly dont play the final pass as often. Mata makes some chances with set pieces though whereas Rashford, Martial and Lingard dont. He also played 2 throughballs this season. And overall he's not too far behind Rashford.

Lingard however... just 6 normal passes in open play and 2 crosses that have set up chances out of 12 matches. He's quite far off the pace of the others. He drifts out of matches and is on the fringes before he occasionally scores a nice goal or provides a good pass. The frequency of this is not often at all and thats the problem. Mata has the set pieces otherwise he'd be at a similar rate. But he's more consistantly playing that final pass because he does take them so he is contributing more for others.

Mcking

I don't know why Lingard irritates you, but reading your first paragraph, I'm inclined to believe that you have something personal against the man and against the player, and it's got nothing to do with the quality and the performances of the player. Instead of crediting him for scoring a big goal in a big game, you someone came to the conclusion that bashing him for celebrating a goal is more appropriate instead. He scored a goal after a long drought, so what should he do, break into tears of bitterness? It would be understandable if you referred to the fact that we still had enough time to go for the victory, but that?
Anyway, I'd say your hate for Lingard means you can't be reasoned with, but ultimately, his social media presence is no negative, and should be nothing any unbiased and reasonable fan should get worked up about, provided it has no negative effect on the team and his performances. That much is clear.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think the issue people have is that he's a starter rather than a squad player. Not that I agree with the hate he gets, I believe that should be directed at Jose for playing him so much. But barring his purple patch around this time last year, his output ever since he's been a regular here has been unacceptable for a united attacker who starts the majority of games. I know he brings other qualities but, imo, a united starter should be producing way more.
He hasn't really been treated as a clear starter though, just as an alternative. He has played what, one more game than Mata or something? Neither is what we need. We lack a first choice attacking player and Lingard is getting a chance to make a difference again now that Sanchez is injured.

Mcking

I do think they have the best movement, but Martial and Rashford are at their best running at players and that has nothing to do with Lingard and Mata. Rashford as a provider has been at his best recently teeing up Lukaku. Martial is often disappointing with his pass and yet somehow he has statistically played the last pass before a shot more than any of our other players. Both are best at making something for themselves. But yet they are also 2 of our better providers along with Sanchez.

Mata and Lingard surprisingly dont play the final pass as often. Mata makes some chances with set pieces though whereas Rashford, Martial and Lingard dont. He also played 2 throughballs this season. And overall he's not too far behind Rashford.

Lingard however... just 6 normal passes in open play and 2 crosses that have set up chances out of 12 matches. He's quite far off the pace of the others. He drifts out of matches and is on the fringes before he occasionally scores a nice goal or provides a good pass. The frequency of this is not often at all and thats the problem. Mata has the set pieces otherwise he'd be at a similar rate. But he's more consistantly playing that final pass because he does take them so he is contributing more for others.

I'm not talking about individual performances or how effective they are in the final third. The point is the team's tendency to generally perform better as a team and in attack when either and especially both of them are on the pitch, as opposed to when they are not. You are drifting away from that point by statistically comparing individuals, and I never compared individuals. Rashford Martial and Sanchez are all good individuals, but I'd say they tend to take it up a notch when Lingard and Mata are on the pitch. I'm not exactly the guy for statistics, but I'm convinced the stats will back that up too - this season and last season.

Kostov

In general I don’t like personalities that act the big shots while being absolute frauds at what they do. If he was as good as and important as he thinks he is, I’d really wouldn’t give a thought how he acts, what he does on the pitch matters. And in this case he does feck all for the majority of his game time.

Kostov

I don't know why Lingard irritates you, but reading your first paragraph, I'm inclined to believe that you have something personal against the man and against the player, and it's got nothing to do with the quality and the performances of the player. Instead of crediting him for scoring a big goal in a big game, you someone came to the conclusion that bashing him for celebrating a goal is more appropriate instead. He scored a goal after a long drought, so what should he do, break into tears of bitterness? It would be understandable if you referred to the fact that we still had enough time to go for the victory, but that?
Anyway, I'd say your hate for Lingard means you can't be reasoned with, but ultimately, his social media presence is no negative, and should be nothing any unbiased and reasonable fan should get worked up about, provided it has no negative effect on the team and his performances. That much is clear.
Something personal!? :houllier::lol:

Jesus Christ pal, it’s nothing personal, just something I dislike about our football club as a whole.

I don’t like the mentality of Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Shaw and others also. In contrast I can tolerate them since I think they are talented enough and can contribute, which makes it easier.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Few had issues with his social media and now we have fans who have problem with Lingard celebrating after scoring a goal, that too equalising goal vs Arsenal :houllier:

Mcking

Jesus Christ pal, it’s nothing personal, just something I dislike about our football club as a whole.

I don’t like the mentality of Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Shaw and others also. In contrast I can tolerate them since I think they are talented enough and can contribute, which makes it easier.
You more than confirmed what I said there. Different standards for different players, different judgement for different players.

Kostov

You more than confirmed what I said there. Different standards for different players, different judgement for different players.
Yeah, as I said, some of them are quality football players, or have potential to be world class players. Lingard is an average player who should be starting for Watford not Manchester United.

steakpie

If Lingard or "JLingz" is still here next season, I think I will commit suicide.

In all seriousness, I don't like to see his name on the teamsheet as a winger. It's just pointless, he offers nothing except sideways/backwards short passing and then moves into space. No decent crossing, no through balls, no vision, no decent shooting, unable to beat a man.

Why has he not been given more games on the right of the midfield 3? He has looked decent here for England. I would give him a chance in that position before selling him although I don't think he is good enough to be part of a United squad if we want to win trophies. He has very good stamina and pace to get up and down, he can finish inside the box and can press.

Kostov

Few had issues with his social media and now we have fans who have problem with Lingard celebrating after scoring a goal, that too equalising goal vs Arsenal :houllier:
Well some of you celebrate when Lingard runs and moves a lot, so maybe the fan base deserves the mediocrity that is being served week in week out? :houllier:

Yeah, as I said, some of them are quality football players, or have potential to be world class players. Lingard is an average player who should be starting for Watford not Manchester United.
Lingard is a squad player who is also a local lad who loves the club, and an International who make significant contributions to England at the World Cup. Of course he should be playing for Utd. Go back to your fantasy world, it must be lovely.

roonster09

Scout
Well some of you celebrate when Lingard runs and moves a lot, so maybe the fan base deserves the mediocrity that is being served week in week out? :houllier:
:houllier: Rating or not rating is one thing, blaming him for celebrating goal? :lol:

Kostov

Lingard is a squad player who is also a local lad who loves the club, and an International who make significant contributions to England at the World Cup. Of course he should be playing for Utd. Go back to your fantasy world, it must be lovely.
I’m not sure about that, he starts some of the biggest game for us, and regularly is the average Jesse Lingard we all know.

In what other top 6 team would Lingard start?

Yeah only here, because he’s a local lad. I’ll go in my fantasy world now.

roonster09

Scout
Try and read the whole point, not just the 3 words that suit you.
I read and didn't make any sense. Just because Lingard was poor for long time doesn't mean he shouldn't celebrate. That's a ridiculous point.

haram

He gives everything to the team. It is not his fault we do not have a RW.

Kostov

I read and didn't make any sense. Just because Lingard was poor for long time doesn't mean he shouldn't celebrate. That's a ridiculous point.
The whole game was a shit show, not just him. A game we should have gone into and try to win. What we did? We made a fecking mess. What Lingard did? He celebrates like that when he should have taken the ball and run to the center.

roonster09

Scout
The whole game was a shit show, not just him. A game we should have gone into and try to win. What we did? We made a fecking mess. What Lingard did? He celebrates like that when he should have taken the ball and run to the center.
You want me to post players celebrating equalizer from SAF days (vs Aston Villa, Blackpool)? FFS, he scored as soon as we conceded and had lot of time. Him celebrating means nothing and didn't stop us from winning the game.

Kostov

You want me to post players celebrating equalizer from SAF days (vs Aston Villa, Blackpool)? FFS, he scored as soon as we conceded and had lot of time. Him celebrating means nothing and didn't stop us from winning the game.
Again you are missing the point. So often many of our players seem like they don’t share the same frustrations as the fans, whether that’s with the results, the way we play or some other aspect of this shambles. Lingard vs Arsenal was a typical example.

If you fail to see the point, enjoy the shit being served week in week out.

Kostov

You mean when we were in a fecking title race? Yeah, not sitting 6th and playing like underdogs to Arsenal in our home stadium.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
Again you are missing the point. So often many of our players seem like they don’t share the same frustrations as the fans, whether that’s with the results, the way we play or some other aspect of this shambles. Lingard vs Arsenal was a typical example.

If you fail to see the point, enjoy the shit being served week in week out.
:lol:

Verminator

Some people struggle with the concept of squad players.
They think squad players should never be selected.

If they offer more than whomever else is available, they get selected.

Lingard is not treated like a first 11 starter, but that is what is used to beat him (Even though he has no control over that).
I'd rather see a committed decent player, than a half-arsed, Billy big balls, stink the place out.
A committed ace is, of course, the best of both worlds, but when you don't have that, you have to make a choice.

Loublaze

ATLien
In general I don’t like personalities that act the big shots while being absolute frauds at what they do. If he was as good as and important as he thinks he is, I’d really wouldn’t give a thought how he acts, what he does on the pitch matters. And in this case he does feck all for the majority of his game time.
What drives you to this summation?

He'lmurderyah15

What has made you dislike the mentality of Rashford? I Agree with the others but find that one a bit strange?

He'lmurderyah15

If Lingard or "JLingz" is still here next season, I think I will commit suicide.

In all seriousness, I don't like to see his name on the teamsheet as a winger. It's just pointless, he offers nothing except sideways/backwards short passing and then moves into space. No decent crossing, no through balls, no vision, no decent shooting, unable to beat a man.

Why has he not been given more games on the right of the midfield 3? He has looked decent here for England. I would give him a chance in that position before selling him although I don't think he is good enough to be part of a United squad if we want to win trophies. He has very good stamina and pace to get up and down, he can finish inside the box and can press.
He played there for about 3 months last year haha

OL29

I’m not sure about that, he starts some of the biggest game for us, and regularly is the average Jesse Lingard we all know.

In what other top 6 team would Lingard start?

Yeah only here, because he’s a local lad. I’ll go in my fantasy world now.
He'd start for Arsenal I think. He's better than Iwobi and Mkhi. I agree he starts too much for us.

OL29

He hasn't really been treated as a clear starter though, just as an alternative. He has played what, one more game than Mata or something? Neither is what we need. We lack a first choice attacking player and Lingard is getting a chance to make a difference again now that Sanchez is injured.
Wasn't he out for a month or so? Agree with the rest of your post, I just think it's a position we should be looking at in the coming transfer window (along with about 5 others).

He'lmurderyah15

He'd start for Arsenal I think. He's better than Iwobi and Mkhi. I agree he starts too much for us.
Think about it ….He's better than Erik Lamela who plays a lot of games for Spurs. He's on a par I think with Willian/Pedro, I think there's very little between him and Oxlade Chamberlain who was a big player for Liverpool before his injury and he's 100% better than Mikhi. He'd comfortably play 30/40 games for Spurs Chelsea Liverpool and Arsenal . I think people enjoy being negative !

Status
Not open for further replies.