g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Jesse Lingard image 14

Jesse Lingard England flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ForestRGoinUp

What has made you dislike the mentality of Rashford? I Agree with the others but find that one a bit strange?
Rashford works hard but carries himself on the field with an attitude that doesn’t befit his output. As if he thinks he’s owed some sort of respect from opponents and referees already. Similar to Lingard and Martial and basically the entire club in general. Just a bunch of guys that act like kings when they’re playing a bigger role in our decline than they realize.

OL29

Think about it ….He's better than Erik Lamela who plays a lot of games for Spurs. He's on a par I think with Willian/Pedro, I think there's very little between him and Oxlade Chamberlain who was a big player for Liverpool before his injury and he's 100% better than Mikhi. He'd comfortably play 30/40 games for Spurs Chelsea Liverpool and Arsenal . I think people enjoy being negative !
Disagree that there's little between him and Ox, you're right about the others. Those teams have players like Salah, Hazard etc to pick up the slack though. For a team that struggles for goals, I just think we need a more productive player than Lingard as a starter.

Kostov

He'd start for Arsenal I think. He's better than Iwobi and Mkhi. I agree he starts too much for us.
I don’t think he is better than Iwobi, i’d take him over Jesse personally. Mkhi maybe, mainly due to the Armenian being an absolute spineless chap. I believe Arsenal will longterm move away from playing him, as has been the case in the last few games.

ForestRGoinUp

I don’t think he is better than Iwobi, i’d take him over Jesse personally. Mkhi maybe, mainly due to the Armenian being an absolute spineless chap. I believe Arsenal will longterm move away from playing him, as has been the case in the last few games.
Mikitaryan is a perfectly fair comparison for Lingard. Both get swatted off the ball like flies and are wildly inconsistent yet find little purple patches here and there.

Kostov

Mikitaryan is a perfectly fair comparison for Lingard. Both get swatted off the ball like flies and are wildly inconsistent yet find little purple patches here and there.
Yes, their general output is generally similar. The Armenian is a more talented footballer though, which makes his inconsistency worse for me.

ForestRGoinUp

Yes, their general output is generally similar. The Armenian is a more talented footballer though, which makes his inconsistency worse for me.
Yep it surely can’t be argued we’ve been a better side since Lingard replaced Henrikh. Though if you only watched Lingard in a vacuum you’d think he was our Eden Hazard by the way he carries himself.

haram

Lingard took Mkhi's spot and was much better. Stop trying to rewrite what actually happened.

Mcking

Yeah, as I said, some of them are quality football players, or have potential to be world class players. Lingard is an average player who should be starting for Watford not Manchester United.
So some of them are allowed to celebrate a goal, while some are not? Some of them are allowed to post and have fun ond social media, but some are not? Some of them are allowed to have free lifestyles off the pitch, but some are not? You keep proving me right.

StretfordEnd95

The guys a clown. He wouldn't start for another club if that club had title ambitions. He's Newcastle's level.

How people can still want the likes of Lingard and Smalling still here is baffling, shows the levels of mediocrity we've grown accustomed to.

Kostov

So some of them are allowed to celebrate a goal, while some are not? Some of them are allowed to post and have fun ond social media, but some are not? Some of them are allowed to have free lifestyles off the pitch, but some are not? You keep proving me right.
Yeah that's it, nail on the head.

Mcking

The guys a clown. He wouldn't start for another club if that club had title ambitions. He's Newcastle's level.

How people can still want the likes of Lingard and Smalling still here is baffling, shows the levels of mediocrity we've grown accustomed to.
Why would he start for another club when he is contracted to us? If we are being factual though, we have title ambitions, yet he starts games for us, and if we are being hypothetical, it's logical to say that he'd start for other teams with title ambitions if he was contracted to any of them.

haram

Recently there is Jesse Lingard. I never rated him more than a Championship/lower PL player. Now that he has had a sustained run as CAM I realized I was very wrong.
Yes Kostov, you was VERY wrong :lol:. Oh how people love to forget what actually happened just last season to push their current agenda.

ForestRGoinUp

Why would he start for another club when he is contracted to us? If we are being factual though, we have title ambitions, yet he starts games for us, and if we are being hypothetical, it's logical to say that he'd start for other teams with title ambitions if he was contracted to any of them.
Having title ambitions and starting the majority of our players is a bit of an oxymoron. It’s not wrong to have the ambitions but it is wrong to think the players we have can deliver.

Mcking

Yeah that's it, nail on the head.
So we can now agree that Lingard is good and deserves to live his life as he wishes and play his football as he is meant to, and that he is just a victim of your weird irritation, unobjectivity, bias and double standards. I am glad we finally came to a conclusion.

el3mel

Having Lingard as a starter represents everything wrong with this United side.

Stadjer

So we can now agree that Lingard is good and deserves to live his life as he wishes and play his football as he is meant to, and that he is just a victim of your weird irritation, unobjectivity, bias and double standards. I am glad we finally came to a conclusion.
I doubt very many people will agree on that. For a club like Manchester United, he just isnt good.

Kostov

Yes, Lingard is the second coming of David Beckham and I was wrong the whole time. He can act and do as he wishes, I hope my opinions on this forum did not hurt his charisma and he continues to light up Old Traford once or twice every 3 years.

ForestRGoinUp

Lingard currently is a lot like when Lallana has his breakthrough. Pretty similar players all things considered. Lingard, like Lallana, wouldn’t get a sniff in this Liverpool team w a genuine title fight on their hands.

Lingard and Lallana both suit Wenger’s last Arsenal teams quite well though I don’t even think Arsenal would have them now. Pochettino builds better players than the both of them so Spurs don’t need them and Chelsea are chasing Pulisic to play a similar role. Lingard is in his comfort zone with this version of United: big paycheck with lower expectations than Fergie’s United.

Lingard currently is a lot like when Lallana has his breakthrough. Pretty similar players all things considered. Lingard, like Lallana, wouldn’t get a sniff in this Liverpool team w a genuine title fight on their hands.
Not really. Lallana is more Iniesta while Lingard is more Maradona.

Mcking

Having title ambitions and starting the majority of our players is a bit of an oxymoron. It’s not wrong to have the ambitions but it is wrong to think the players we have can deliver.
Well, we are both speaking hypothetically, aren't we? We are a team with title ambitions - it can't be denied - yet Lingard starts games for us. What makes you say he wouldn't start for other teams with title ambitions when he starts for a team with one? He isn't even contracted to another team.

Kostov

Yes Kostov, you was VERY wrong :lol:. Oh how people love to forget what actually happened just last season to push their current agenda.
This was during his purple patch wasn’t it? Feck I knew it would come to bite me on the ass. :lol:

Correction number 2: He’s average player who should be starting at Watford not Manchester United.

Mcking

Yes, Lingard is the second coming of David Beckham and I was wrong the whole time. He can act and do as he wishes, I hope my opinions on this forum did not hurt his charisma and he continues to light up Old Traford once or twice every 3 years.
You are welcome if you can put bias aside and give some objective opinions. Definitely won't hurt much.

el3mel

Well, we are both speaking hypothetically, aren't we? We are a team with title ambitions - it can't be denied - yet Lingard starts games for us. What makes you say he wouldn't start for other teams with title ambitions when he starts for a team with one? He isn't even contracted to another team.
That we're not winning titles with him starting.

Kostov

You are welcome if you can put bias aside and give some objective opinions. Definitely won't hurt much.
It’s no bias mate. Nothing against him, but he is not good enough to start here. Some of you are pricing him for movement and running, which is laughable for a player at this level.

ForestRGoinUp

It’s nice to think we have title ambitions but reality (and our own manager) says otherwise.

We will be back to title ambitions when we have a system and the personnel that pushes players like Lingard, Young, Valencia, Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Fellaini, Shaw, Lukaku, Herrera, Matic, Darmian, McTominay either down the bench or preferably out of the club. Not one of them, and several others I’ve left out, would have a spot in the two title challenging squads this season.

Edit: @MadDogg im out of posts so here’s my response.

Lingards comp at Liverpool is Lallana. Smallings is Matip. Herreras is Wignaldum so I guess he could pressure him but he is in no way clearly superior to him or would easily beat him out.

Last edited:

Mcking

Well, only three clubs have won the title since Lingard made his debut for us. You can't tell me only City, Chelsea and Leicester have title ambitions in the league? Liverpool and Tottenham with their top class players aren't winning titles either.

ForestRGoinUp

Well, only three clubs have won the title since Lingard made his debut for us. You can't tell me only City, Chelsea and Leicester have title ambitions in the league? Liverpool and Tottenham with their top class players aren't winning titles either.
You’re being extremely pedantic. Pretty cool :cool:

el3mel

Here's the problem : we have title ambitions but we haven't even competed for the title once in last 6 years so you can't look at the starting players like Lingard and think they're title winning squad. They're not even challenging to start with. Lingard isn't going to start for any title challenging squad of the last 5 years, so the fact we're starting him and asking for titles represent everything wrong with this United side.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It’s nice to think we have title ambitions but reality (and our own manager) says otherwise.

We will be back to title ambitions when we have a system and the personnel that pushes players like Lingard, Young, Valencia, Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Fellaini, Shaw, Lukaku, Herrera, Matic, Darmian, McTominay either down the bench or preferably out of the club. Not one of them, and several others I’ve left out, would have a spot in the two title challenging squads this season.
Herrera easily walks into the Liverpool midfield. Smalling and Lingard would both be starting plenty of games at Liverpool as well, although not sure if they'd get into their strongest 11. Obviously none of the others would get close.

StretfordEnd95

Here's the problem : we have title ambitions but we haven't even competed for the title once in last 6 years so you can't look at the starting players like Lingard and think they're title winning squad. They're not even challenging to start with. Lingard isn't going to start for any title challenging squad of the last 5 years, so the fact we're starting him and asking for titles represent everything wrong with this United side.
This. It's not hard to grasp. Would Lingard have featured in any of the recent title winning sides? Would he heck.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I’m not sure about that, he starts some of the biggest game for us, and regularly is the average Jesse Lingard we all know.

In what other top 6 team would Lingard start?

Yeah only here, because he’s a local lad. I’ll go in my fantasy world now.
Not many people are saying that Lingard 'should' be a starter.

He 'should' be a squad player. It's not his fault that we still haven't got another option that is definitively better than him, so he ends up starting more than he should be.

el3mel

Herrera easily walks into the Liverpool midfield. Smalling and Lingard would both be starting plenty of games at Liverpool as well, although not sure if they'd get into their strongest 11. Obviously none of the others would get close.
They have Shaqiri on the bench who is far better than Lingard.

Mcking

It’s no bias mate. Nothing against him, but he is not good enough to start here. Some of you are pricing him for movement and running, which is laughable for a player at this level.
You admitted to that and double standards an hour ago. Players do have different qualities too.
You’re being extremely pedantic. Pretty cool :cool:
I am? Those little details are quite important in these arguments.

Kostov

Not many people are saying that Lingard 'should' be a starter.

He 'should' be a squad player. It's not his fault that we still haven't got another option that is definitively better than him, so he ends up starting more than he should be.
I think the same.

We do have better options though but for some reason the manager hasn’t tried it for an extended run of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.