4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OL29

Maybe im getting old but I am starting to think the kid is going down the wrong route in trying to be a celebrity more than a footballer kind of like Memphis did, although Memphis has found form.

If you see Jesse on social media he is the epitome of the modern footballer. Flash harry who goes around thinking he is a rapper. And it does wind me up a bit when he is nowhere near the talent he seems to think he is.

The recent Rooney interview where he stated you would never see a player on Facetime to his mates before walking out on the pitch in his day, hard to believe he wasnt referring to Lingard.

In saying that he has shown flashes of being a good player & perhaps im just out of touch. I wish he would get his head down and focus on being a better footballer than wearing shit clothes and getting his face on the front of ad campaigns
How?

Toad

I really don’t understand what some people’s problem is with him. I like him as a player and he is very useful.

Bwuk

Just seen some of the images from his instagram at what looks like the launch of a JLingz brand?

His fashion sense is a lot worse than Memphis' was.

Djemba-Djemba

I really don’t understand what some people’s problem is with him. I like him as a player and he is very useful.
Him as a person I have no problem with.

As a player, I don't think he's anywhere near good enough to justify how much he plays.

The reality is, players these days spend far more time of every day of every week on football related issues than what they did back when Keane was here.

20-30 years ago, they'd play a game, then pop down the nearest pub and get drunk off their heads that night. They'd turn up to training the next day hungover or even still drunk. Very few focused on physical fitness outside of the training they did with the club. They could generally do whatever they wanted.

Nowdays the majority of them spend a huge amount of time focusing on health and fitness even outside of the club. Their diets are all planned out, they do extra fitness training and gym sessions. Very few of them drink or smoke. They also have far less ability to just go out and act like a normal person because of the celebrity focus that our society now has where the media follow them around looking for the tiniest little thing to attack them for, or the general public will be chasing them around for photos and autographs, etc.

If the worst they are doing now is dancing and having fun for social media, who really cares? As long as it doesn't actually effect their performances or go to their head (which it perhaps did with Depay) it's honestly much more professional than Keane and most of his generation was doing. We just didn't get to see much of that so it was the classic 'out of sight, out of mind'.
I completely agree.

I’m nearly 40 and like a lot of ex players of a similar age, dancing around and so forth is something we don’t understand - and it’s because we are a different generation. It’s very easy to avoid Instagram - just don’t download it. Players these days are more professional than any other generation - let them have fun (their way).

JoaquinJoaquin

He seems like a nice enough guy, and does clearly love the club so that sits well with me. Problem is, He actually isn't very good on the pitch for us, and that's kind of what you need to be a success at this club.

JoaquinJoaquin

Rock on fellers. We're such a team of shithouses innit'.

It goes beyond the structure of play, the extra player that presses to recycle possession needs to be smart and anticipate the action. A number of times he swooped in and mopped up great work press/tackle work from Rashford and Herrera and then Mata and Herrera. This piece in the midfield three is really important if we're going to continue playing this way. his positioning and anticipation was one of the main drivers of yesterdays performance.

It is less structure and more about being able to follow play and press as a unit. I enjoyed it.
Well you are easily pleased. I'd presume your a Old Trafford happy clapper to.

As others have posted, In other top clubs around Europe the attackers provide assists or goals aswell as good performances. Lingard provides 4/10's consistently and rarely scores or assists. He could run to Everest and that wouldn't mean a thing while he consistently puts in poor performances.

el3mel

He's not very good, doesn't score or affect the game much. Any mediocre number 10 can do what he does. We need production from such position.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
He’s not good enough for what should be a crucial position in any team (number 10). We need a creator/goal scorer in that position and while mata is not the player he once was he is our best number 10. Lingard as backup fair enough but limit his game time.
On the right he’s not even good enough as backup for a club of our statue but sadly with the lack of signings in that position, he’s going to get game time and that’s one of the reasons we are sat in 6th position, players of Lingard’s ability starting, don’t get me wrong It’s not his fault but as others have illuded to looking at his social media activity, you would think he is some sort of Messi or Ronaldo and that does wind me up.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Where's the logic? Lingard is questionable in this broken team, but could be better than Park in that conquering team? Just like that other poster who said his performance against Fulham is "superb". It's like saying Lukaku could be better than RvP if put him in that last title winning team.
I wouldn't say that is a bias, it is just a different look on it than you provided. We haven't seen Lingard in a fully functioning winning team like that so you have no way to say for sure if his qualities would become more useful or not. His numbers aren't the problem if you compare him to Park but his functionality which has a lot to do with the rest of the team and how he is being used. Maybe you overrate Park a bit, then I can see your point, but Park wasn't consistently on his peak level either, it was probably only a couple of years around 2010. So its logical to assume that Lingard eventually will surpass him.

Kostov

Although Park had to miss out the CL final win (which was probably one of our best team in decades). In fact he didnt even make the squad.

I think the Park and Lingard comparisons are fair. We can say Park could do tactical jobs and chip in with goals but they werent at the same time. In fact Lingard has chipped in with goals in big games.
Weve seen him score vs Arsenal recently, Chelsea winner (and another at their place which should have been a winner) that I can think of on top of my head.

Comparing on the basis of the two sides however is unfair, given Park was with a much superior team. You can see Lingard looks so much better with England under Southgate.
I'm not sure it's fair, Park was very good and useful in what he did, Lingard apart from scoring the odd goal (apart from that purple patch of last year) is pretty useless to me. And maybe I'm wrong but Park played further behind, and didn't occupy a place in the front 3, which of course builds up my expectation from Lingard.

End of the story, Lingard does not offer enough. Take that game with Arsenal for example, he scored the equalizer but was garbage for the majority of the game. In this kind of competitions, having a passenger like him who is not a regular goalscorer/assist maker is a suicide for the attack.

Toad

Him as a person I have no problem with.

As a player, I don't think he's anywhere near good enough to justify how much he plays.
He seems like a nice enough guy, and does clearly love the club so that sits well with me. Problem is, He actually isn't very good on the pitch for us, and that's kind of what you need to be a success at this club.
He's not very good, doesn't score or affect the game much. Any mediocre number 10 can do what he does. We need production from such position.
I think it depends what players are surrounding him. I would pick him over Alli in the England squad but then that’s my opinion. He makes some great runs and drags defenders left, right and centre but if you have got the supporting players to provide a pass or make use of the space he has created then he does look completely mediocre

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
The reality is, players these days spend far more time of every day of every week on football related issues than what they did back when Keane was here.

20-30 years ago, they'd play a game, then pop down the nearest pub and get drunk off their heads that night. They'd turn up to training the next day hungover or even still drunk. Very few focused on physical fitness outside of the training they did with the club. They could generally do whatever they wanted.

Nowdays the majority of them spend a huge amount of time focusing on health and fitness even outside of the club. Their diets are all planned out, they do extra fitness training and gym sessions. Very few of them drink or smoke. They also have far less ability to just go out and act like a normal person because of the celebrity focus that our society now has where the media follow them around looking for the tiniest little thing to attack them for, or the general public will be chasing them around for photos and autographs, etc.

If the worst they are doing now is dancing and having fun for social media, who really cares? As long as it doesn't actually effect their performances or go to their head (which it perhaps did with Depay) it's honestly much more professional than Keane and most of his generation was doing. We just didn't get to see much of that so it was the classic 'out of sight, out of mind'.
Where as you have a valid point about keeping themselves in shape im more referring to him going down the memphis road in terms of flashing the cash and more concerned about flashy clothes and instagram videos then becoming a better player. It winds me & a few other fans up the way he acts about 18 years old off the pitch. I dont want flash harrys at our club. We never have and never should

Instead of focusing on fashion lines and upping his profile. Put the work in and better yourself on the pitch and like Ronaldo, Beckham & Cantona these things will be overlooked

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Where as you have a valid point about keeping themselves in shape im more referring to him going down the memphis road in terms of flashing the cash and more concerned about flashy clothes and instagram videos then becoming a better player. It winds me & a few other fans up the way he acts about 18 years old off the pitch. I dont want flash harrys at our club. We never have and never should

Instead of focusing on fashion lines and upping his profile. Put the work in and better yourself on the pitch and like Ronaldo, Beckham & Cantona these things will be overlooked
How much more work is he supposed to put in? Players do need a private life where they aren't focusing on football, and it's completely up to them what they do with that private life. If he chooses social media and a clothing line, better that than other things which would be having more effect but we wouldn't know about.

Nobody puts as much time into it as Ronaldo does as he's a freak, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Lingard puts in as much work or even more than Beckham and especially Cantona did. He simply isn't as good as them though so will never reach as high a level. Doesn't mean he's not working as hard. Think about Evra. We all love the crazy bastard, but if he'd been around 10 years later he'd probably have been as into the social media even more than Lingard is (he's on it a lot as it is). Would that have meant he wasn't working as hard?

I actually do agree that a lot of what Lingard posts is a bit stupid and can make me cringe, but I don't make the mistake of thinking that it's necessarily going to make any difference to what he does on the pitch. He, like every other player, needs things to do outside of football.

Kostov

You see players like Bernardo Silva, David Silva, Mane, Salah who are actually 10 times better than Lingard, go and do their job and you won't hear a sniff about clothing lines, celebrity lifestyles, most of them are pretty modest and down to earth. In the meantime an average useless chap like Lingard acts the big star and it's pretty cringe worthy. Then some wonder why so many of our fans don't like that behaviour, Lingard epitomizes our club in a whole. We act the big dogs but we dine in the sewers, being very insignificant.

simplyared

Can't quite put my finger on it but there's something lacking with the player. Find some of his antics a bit annoying. Get the impression he thinks he's better than he is.

Mcking

You see players like Bernardo Silva, David Silva, Mane, Salah who are actually 10 times better than Lingard, go and do their job and you won't hear a sniff about clothing lines, celebrity lifestyles, most of them are pretty modest and down to earth. In the meantime an average useless chap like Lingard acts the big star and it's pretty cringe worthy. Then some wonder why so many of our fans don't like that behaviour, Lingard epitomizes our club in a whole. We act the big dogs but we dine in the sewers, being very insignificant.
You have crossed the boundary, haven't you? Surely his lifestyle is nothing to get worked up about provided it has no negative effect on his professionalism and performances?

Stadjer

You have crossed the boundary, haven't you? Surely his lifestyle is nothing to get worked up about provided it has no negative effect on his professionalism and performances?
I dont know how to exactly word it but for a lack of a better word... annoying. It is annoying to see a Manchester United player who gets and seeks more attention for his clothing line, dancing, social media acts, his 'iconic celebration' and other non football stuff (the MOTD facebook page had a picture of a fan who had a tattoo of the thing Lingard does with his fingers as 'his symbol') than his footballing achievements because he literally does nothing specialc as a actual football player. I try to actively avoid him and all other footballers their social media and stuff they do outside of football but it is pretty hard to avoid Lingard.

He hardly ever scores or has an assist. Even against the worst team in the league (Fulham) he was basically invisible outside of standing over that Fulham player who got a red card while acting all tough.

Fully agree with @Kostov about him. He is the perfect example of the current Manchester United. Acting like a superstar but nothing special in reality.

Kostov

It speaks about his character and that translates to his game for me. We have others like him, but he takes the biscuit mainly due to him being an absolute average player but acting some relevant football star. Fans like you tolerate that kind of mentality and than wonder why we are in the state we currently reside.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Fairly certain (hopeful) that his and Rashford's cameo have earned them a starting spot on Sunday. Hopefully Martial to join them if fit.

Mcking

Apparently Mata makes the attack look better when he is playing. In reality, it is actually Lingard. Without his energy, movement and natural ability to find space, the attack is so inflexible and disjointed. He offers something none of our other players does.

Mcking

It speaks about his character and that translates to his game for me. We have others like him, but he takes the biscuit mainly due to him being an absolute average player but acting some relevant football star. Fans like you tolerate that kind of mentality and than wonder why we are in the state we currently reside.
It doesn't speak about anything, and it doesn't translate into anything. What matters is what he does on the pitch, the training ground and the dressing room, his professionalism and his performances. I can't remember any complaint about Lingard's attitude and you could see he clearly works hard on the pitch - likely does off the pitch too, and performs to the best of his ability. Because you don't like a particular player doesn't mean you should get worked up at irrelevant things.

Utdstar01

Apparently Mata makes the attack look better when he is playing. In reality, it is actually Lingard. Without his energy, movement and natural ability to find space, the attack is so inflexible and disjointed. He offers something none of our other players does.
Tbh we have several players who do this in the academy just not many in the seniors.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Or in reality it is actually both of them. Mata has the most intelligent movement in the squad, he is just slow so needs pace around him, not 5 CMs. They play well together and are a good duo to switch between 10 and RW because they are both smart players who feed off movement and quick play.

ForestRGoinUp

The ascendancy of Jesse Lingard - he of 3 goals in 2018, one fewer than Chris Smalling - continues to run inversely to the stature of Manchester United. He’s not alone or solely responsible of course but he does represent the profile of player given a spotlight in our attack in the era directly following the likes of VanPersie, Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Berbatov, etc.

Has there ever been a guy given a longer leash at 25 years old at a club this size? Same output as Sanchez. Similar output to Ashley Young. Less output than Chris Smalling. Over a calendar year...Yikes.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The ascendancy of Jesse Lingard - he of 3 goals in 2018, one fewer than Chris Smalling - continues to run inversely to the stature of Manchester United. He’s not alone or solely responsible of course but he does represent the profile of player given a spotlight in our attack in the era directly following the likes of VanPersie, Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Berbatov, etc.

Has there ever been a guy given a longer leash at 25 years old at a club this size? Same output as Sanchez. Similar output to Ashley Young. Less output than Chris Smalling. Over a calendar year...Yikes.
Let’s look at the ‘output’ then in context
Write down all the players and their ‘output’, let’s see where he is in relation to all his squad mates
I think you’ll find we should be looking at the coach and not the players in isolation

Sylar

Or in reality it is actually both of them. Mata has the most intelligent movement in the squad, he is just slow so needs pace around him, not 5 CMs. They play well together and are a good duo to switch between 10 and RW because they are both smart players who feed off movement and quick play.

I agree. I think we have missed a big trick by not playing Mata in and around number 10ish area then just having pace around him (lingard, rashford and lesser extent martial). Sorta like City do around Silva. People who will make off the ball runs and can link up.

Hammondo

I think its both.

Rossa

I agree. I think we have missed a big trick by not playing Mata in and around number 10ish area then just having pace around him (lingard, rashford and lesser extent martial). Sorta like City do around Silva. People who will make off the ball runs and can link up.
Agree with this completely. Mata probably needs runners next to him, and Lingard offers that moreso than any other player we have. However, one should not underestimate how Mata finds space for others to play him into and also how he frees up space for others. Look at how Pogba found him against Valencia with Mata's perfectly timed run in behind - he doesn't need pace to do that - and then he fecked that one up, of course. We seem to work best in a 4-2-3-1 system, with Lingard and Mata interchanging from the right and the middle, and Martial sticking to the left. Rashford up top and Lukaku having to play his way back into the side.

AndyJ1985

Lingard is one of several regulars (Young, Jones, smalling and Fellaini being the others) that epitomise how mediocre we've become.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Every time I see him start or be subbed into a game, I say to myself, this is what we have become. I know he brings energy and desire, but he lacks skill and vision.
We are what we are in the current moment and everything that happens is a part of that. I am annoyed and unsatisfied as well but isn't it a bit unfair and even sort of unhealthy to project all that onto one player/thing in singular, every time he goes on the pitch to play for us? I don't understand how an academy product can be viewed as a symbol of our descent. It's not even like he is undeserving of a place in our squad and terrible. He is not a Darren Gibson. We could have bought Nathan Redmond or something instead of having Lingard as a choice but..why? He is perfect for what he is, it is just that we lack clear first choice players.

Loublaze

ATLien
Lingard is one of several regulars (Young, Jones, smalling and Fellaini being the others) that epitomise how mediocre we've become.
If big match Lingard is on that list you should probably throw all heart but bang average Herrera in there as well. Lingard has proven himself a very good squad player and I feel he gets way too much criticism. Perhaps if he was as like-able to some as Herrera and Mata are he'd be a fan favorite.

OL29

If big match Lingard is on that list you should probably throw all heart but bang average Herrera in there as well. Lingard has proven himself a very good squad player and I feel he gets way too much criticism. Perhaps if he was as like-able to some as Herrera and Mata are he'd be a fan favorite.
I think the issue people have is that he's a starter rather than a squad player. Not that I agree with the hate he gets, I believe that should be directed at Jose for playing him so much. But barring his purple patch around this time last year, his output ever since he's been a regular here has been unacceptable for a united attacker who starts the majority of games. I know he brings other qualities but, imo, a united starter should be producing way more.

Status
Not open for further replies.