Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
But tell me what that is ... who would you get in place? How does that effect the way we play. Personally my preference would be Eriksen but we are not going to get him. Lingard is very capable and good enough to help us get to top 4 which is where we then rebuild again and perhaps upgrade. It is fine margins and as I mentioned before we have not had great success with this type of player in the last 2 decades since Cantona left. Lingard and Park have been the most successful in my opinion since then.

In terms of the squad even the great Bryan Robson was a squad player - by the end and in 92-93 he made 14 PL appearances and in 93-94 15. Still a massive contribution. He was vital according to Sir Alex because behind the scenes the squad has to be right as that is where the match is won or lost. We have to have characters who still push the regulars very hard even though they know they will not be starting every game. If they started to complain then that is when the squad is in trouble.

O'Shea, Brown, Richardson, Cruyf, Park, F Da Silva and even Ole himself were great professionals who would always be ready if needed but every training session they would always push the starting xi to perform. They are all crucial to our success on and off the pitch.
The difference is, park ran his bollocks off and still chipped in with plenty of important goals and assists, especially against Arsenal :drool:

Lingard we know is a work horse but he needs to step up his attacking contributions massively. 1 assist in a season is not enough for a forward no matter how sacrificial he is.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
But tell me what that is ... who would you get in place? How does that effect the way we play. Personally my preference would be Eriksen but we are not going to get him. Lingard is very capable and good enough to help us get to top 4 which is where we then rebuild again and perhaps upgrade. It is fine margins and as I mentioned before we have not had great success with this type of player in the last 2 decades since Cantona left. Lingard and Park have been the most successful in my opinion since then.

In terms of the squad even the great Bryan Robson was a squad player - by the end and in 92-93 he made 14 PL appearances and in 93-94 15. Still a massive contribution. He was vital according to Sir Alex because behind the scenes the squad has to be right as that is where the match is won or lost. We have to have characters who still push the regulars very hard even though they know they will not be starting every game. If they started to complain then that is when the squad is in trouble.

O'Shea, Brown, Richardson, Cruyf, Park, F Da Silva and even Ole himself were great professionals who would always be ready if needed but every training session they would always push the starting xi to perform. They are all crucial to our success on and off the pitch.
All those players you mentioned, they do not belong in the same category of being crucial :lol: Otherwise Liverpool can say Djimi Traore was crucial for their CL win too.
My point is that Lingard is an average player, squad player at best for me.
As long as his role is kept at that, I have no issue with it. If we get top 4, I'm ready to bet whatever you want that Lingard's contribution to it will be minimal and defo not "crucial".

K13

Lingard we know is a work horse but he needs to step up his attacking contributions massively. 1 assist in a season is not enough for a forward no matter how sacrificial he is.
I agree - but the same could also be said for every single player.

K13

All those players you mentioned, they do not belong in the same category of being crucial :lol: Otherwise Liverpool can say Djimi Traore was crucial for their CL win too.
My point is that Lingard is an average player, squad player at best for me.
As long as his role is kept at that, I have no issue with it. If we get top 4, I'm ready to bet whatever you want that Lingard's contribution to it will be minimal and defo not "crucial".
Of course they do. What a strange comparison using a player who last played for Liverpool over a decade ago.

Orig was pretty crucial with his CL final contribution and he played 11 times in the league so he contributed.

By the sound of it you only seem interested in the 'star' players which is fair enough but I am interested in all of the players because they are all equally important members of our squad. So perhaps we will never agree on Lingard's role/place in our squad.

Adam-Utd

I agree - but the same could also be said for every single player.
Yes none of our attacking players did well enough, they're all in the firing line.

Lingard just doesn't quite do enough for me, hard work isn't enough. in the 10 role you need goals + assists on top of work rate.

kouroux

Of course they do. What a strange comparison using a player who last played for Liverpool over a decade ago.

Orig was pretty crucial with his CL final contribution and he played 11 times in the league so he contributed.

By the sound of it you only seem interested in the 'star' players which is fair enough but I am interested in all of the players because they are all equally important members of our squad. So perhaps we will never agree on Lingard's role/place in our squad.
You didn't read it when I said that I don't mind having a player likd Lingard as a squad player. That clearly means I'm not focused ln star players only.
Not all players are equally important, it's crazy to think so. This is fairy tale type of logic

K13

The difference is, park ran his bollocks off and still chipped in with plenty of important goals and assists, especially against Arsenal :drool:

The false 9 position, top of diamond do you think that has evolved from when Messi played it?

Eriksen, David Silva, Griezmann, Firminio they all rack up impressive running stats and contribute at both ends. Their teams don't look quite the same without them (accept Man City because they have Bernardo). All can play behind a front 3 or as the dropped forward in a front 3. Lingard has that flexibility as well.

Lingard has some nice foot work, can beat a man and got a lovely weight of pass. He is not in the calibre of the players above but he is still very young in footballing terms as he was not deemed physically ready until he was 22. He may well be a late developer and I think there is enough there to get us to top 4 if he picks up his form which I am sure he will.

K13

You didn't read it when I said that I don't mind having a player likd Lingard as a squad player. That clearly means I'm not focused ln star players only.
Not all players are equally important, it's crazy to think so. This is fairy tale type of logic
I believe they are. They may not be as good or as talented but they are all equally important to the squad. Some outside the squad like perhaps Rojo and Darmian are replaceable but they will still be important because you never know when you will need them.

The best managers recognize that. In fact only 1 player was treated differently by Sir Alex and that was Cantona and he made sure his squad understood why. He has always stressed the importance of every single player.

kouroux

I believe they are. They may not be as good or as talented but they are all equally important to the squad. Some outside the squad like perhaps Rojo and Darmian are replaceable but they will still be important because you never know when you will need them.

The best managers recognize that. In fact only 1 player was treated differently by Sir Alex and that was Cantona and he made sure his squad understood why. He has always stressed the importance of every single player.
If that's what you believe then fair play. It makes no sense to me though, for me players contribute their own way and have their own respective importance. There are some we could do without just as there are some we'll struggle without. They cannot possibly all hold the same level of importance.

K13

If that's what you believe then fair play. It makes no sense to me though, for me players contribute their own way and have their own respective importance. There are some we could do without just as there are some we'll struggle without. They cannot possibly all hold the same level of importance.
In terms of level of importance then yes that is a whole different ball game and you make a very good point. When 2 players had a falling out that could not be resolved ie Van Nistelroy/Ronaldo then the decision was made to dispense with the least valuable asset. Sheringham and Cole had their disagreement which they resolved by not talking to each other and that obviously was ok.

So when one asset effects the morale of the squad then yes the 'importance' factor must come into it. Good point I can see the value in that situation.

Kevin_

Make or break season for him, pressure is definitely on I do hope he makes it here but I technically I don’t think he is good enough. Hope I’m wrong

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Lingard at the Emirates isn’t so bad either.

Adam-Utd

Lingard at the Emirates isn’t so bad either.
Just about his only real saving grace.

I just hope he can chip in with a few more G/A's this year as there's no reason he can't. He's scored more for England recently than United which doesn't make sense.

mewnew11

Was not wearing shin pads today? I thought he had short socks on him.

Andreas , Gomes , Chongy , James and Mata , all infront of Lingard now. All these players are better playing behind the striker or on the Wing. Its still distrubing to See Jesse walk into the starting line up.

Mindhunter

Frustrating player to watch. I just watched a few minutes in the second half and remember him dance through the middle, trying to take on 3 defenders at once, totally ignoring the players making runs that ultimately ended with the ball taken away from him easily.

He needs to try and keep things simple first and get the "I am a creative number 10" thought out of his mind.

R'hllor

He would be great if he had that final pass but he is passing is way off in most cases which makes him pointless if rest of team has same work ethic or similar.

HJ12

I would love to see Gomes get a shot at the 10 position, ahead of Jesse. Am sure he'll do a much better job.

Mailo

They used to call Claudio Ranieri the Teflon Man... I think it matches this bean a lot more...

edgecutter

He's had 4 games in this preseason and he has looked toothless in all of them. He has no excuses and his antics on social is making him a big target. It will be very interesting to see how many games he gets when the seasons starts, in reality he shouldn't get any unless there is a lot of injuries.

Boycott

There is real competition for places to get in the England squad for Euro 2020. Frankly on merit he should not have got called up to the squad for the Nations League game vs Netherlands and he is in deep trouble if he does not pick up.

That should be his motivation and challenge. Because if next summer he does not make the squad having been a favourite of the manager up to now, then he has no business staying at United.

Untd55

he produced what -4 goals and 2 assists last season? Can't be bothered to check but whatever it is it's low. How can you be a top team where one of your front 3 doesn't score or assist much is beyond me.
4 goals 3 assists in all competitions. That was him being first-team as well, so I don't even understand how people think he could be a good squad player when he has no effect with more time on pitch. I cannot think of a single upside to him.

In terms of a Manutd attacker, he has: poor finishing, poor passing, poor decision-making, average pace, poor dribbling, poor crossing. He has no standout abilities, and is poor by United standards.

-Supreme-

Now we have a proper RB so we should see the less of him, at least he won't be given as many chances on the right side and there is no reason to play him in the central position as competitions is far greater

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Now we have a proper RB so we should see the less of him, at least he won't be given as many chances on the right side and there is no reason to play him in the central position as competitions is far greater
He will play as our first choice on rw or no10. And he will get new contract.
No question about all that

Last edited:

Alemar

He will play as our first choice on rw or no10. And he will get new contract.
No wuestion about all that
Do you think OGS is blind? He understands football perhaps even better then Caf contingent...

NoPace

It just occurred to me that a 23 year old Shinji Kagawa seems like he would have had a great season here as our #10.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If We're going to use AM, use Mata. I'd even put Fred there. Lingard is useless.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Can anyone compile all his touches in the match? I know it's tedious but folks that are good at it seem to make those effortlessly.
I just really really really don't understand what he does in a football match.
He plays football matches like he's playing a rondo for 90 minutes. Pointless. Useless. Aimless.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is man less on the pitch. If you are no10 player than from my understanding of football, you must either score goals if you are second striker or if you are classic no10 then you must create chances for others, play killer balls, beat a player....basically you must play with risk.

He doesn't do anything on that position. He runs around and play simple passes. Sorry, but any player can play like that. He is just useless and when he is in the squad we play with 10 man

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.