4.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imperator

I'm baffled as to how the hell Lingard managed to come through the academy? It's like when someone silly gets through to the latter stages of the X Factor, almost like a joke. We'd be lucky to get £5m for him. An attacking midfielder who doesn't create anything or score goals. Can't make a pass beyond 4 yards. 27 next month and even now regressing in parallel.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He weirdly seems to think he’s a lot better than he is.

mad1max954

We should be looking to get rid in Jan
We are so short of attacking numbers in the squad it’s a joke, so it would be a bold decision, but I your 100% right. He should be gone!

I ducking hate is attitude too! Beanz beanz beanz with a clothing line. His social media is infuriating. You can tell that a couple of hours after a loss, he’d be joking around like a fecking pre pubescent teen. Shit mentality to have in the squad and absolutely nothing player.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
What infuriates me is that he treats it all as a joke. I dont think he realizes how lucky he is in life.

Renegade

I think the club are waiting for him to pick up form before announcing new contract.
The announcement may be a while.

Fosu-Mens

We are so short of attacking numbers in the squad it’s a joke, so it would be a bold decision, but I your 100% right. He should be gone!

I ducking hate is attitude too! Beanz beanz beanz with a clothing line. His social media is infuriating. You can tell that a couple of hours after a loss, he’d be joking around like a fecking pre pubescent teen. Shit mentality to have in the squad and absolutely nothing player.
Mellor does basically the same as Lingard, but is not a weakling. So could just play him instead.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Even ignoring the way he looks, it still surprises me that's he'll be 27. Feels like he's only been around a few years.

manunited1919

I think the club are waiting for him to pick up form before announcing new contract.
The announcement may be a while.
You are probably right. But I would just be ecstatic if the club were to run down his contract. Can you imagine his agent putting out rumors of him signing for Barsa, PSG or Juventus? We would all be ROFLOL.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
This is Lingard's only defence that stops people questioning his incredibly low level of ability. He's a passenger that has a semi decent shot, can play an easy pass and cover a lot of ground, adding to the fact that he plays for Man Utd after being the luckiest man available to make into the first team from the academy in a position the first team has been starved of. Cleverley got 13 caps for England because of almost the exact same reasons, now we know he shouldn't have been anywhere near it, it's the same with Lingard.
Makes you wonder how the hell he fooled Sir Alex, LvG, Mourinho at club level, and numerous Managers at International level for so long, tiss a mystery.

Class of 63

Sourness
I'm convinced he's a wum. You go into any thread and he's always making the contrary argument with just bizarre comments.
Well that's kinda how it works unless your one of that very rare breed who enjoy arguing with somebody who shares your opinion.

No shit. He sounds like JohnnoWhite from RAWK.
Guessing that's not a compliment?

Stadjer

Makes you wonder how the hell he fooled Sir Alex, LvG, Mourinho at club level, and numerous Managers at International level for so long, tiss a mystery.
Lingard never played for Ferguson. Ferguson said some nice things about him as a young player but he also said Phil Jones would become the best Manchester United player of all time.

Im pretty sure he didnt actually think Phil Jones would become the best and the same goes for Lingard. He was just saying nice things about them to make them feel good or give them the feeling to, how Evra described it, not wanting to disappoint the manager and try even harder to win.

Maybe Lingard could have been part of a Fergie team but Ferguson loved having special quality in his front line and wasnt afraid to spend money on that. I doubt Lingard would have played as much as he has if Fergie was still boss.

luke511

He never played a game under Ferguson, and he weaseled his way into LVG and Mourinho's team in a position we've been starved of options. He has qualities that makes it possible to be a passenger in an already functional side as I mentioned before, but he's been exposed massively in the last 2 years when he's been relied on as a senior first team regular.

99% of our fan base can't really stand him being a first team regular anymore and when the majority is as one sided as that, it's conclusive that he should be nowhere near Man Utd's first team.

Class of 63

Sourness
Lingard never played for Ferguson. Ferguson said some nice things about him as a young player but he also said Phil Jones would become the best Manchester United player of all time.

Im pretty sure he didnt actually think Phil Jones would become the best and the same goes for Lingard. He was just saying nice things about them to make them feel good or give them the feeling to, how Evra described it, not wanting to disappoint the manager and try even harder to win.

Maybe Lingard could have been part of a Fergie team but Ferguson loved having special quality in his front line and wasnt afraid to spend money on that. I doubt Lingard would have played as much as he has if Fergie was still boss.
It wasn't just saying nice things though was it? It played out exactly how SAF predicted it would.

Jesse was twice an unused sub for SAF so I think it's safe to say if SAF had stayed on he would have got a chance though it would have been in his best position(no.8), and not in the front-line.

SweetRightFoot

He seems absolutely shot of confidence and probably knows he's just a bit shit now. I know it doesn't mean much but I was surprised by his new haircut. I mean, it isn't one, doesn't look like he's taking care of himself or perhaps he's deliberately trying not to look ostentatious. Not seen him argue with refs or get in any scraps either, strikes me as the kind of guy who reads the criticism online and it looks like it's got to him.

Not got a future here.

3KDré

It wasn't just saying nice things though was it? It played out exactly how SAF predicted it would.

Jesse was twice an unused sub for SAF so I think it's safe to say if SAF had stayed on he would have got a chance though it would have been in his best position(no.8), and not in the front-line.
What passing ability has Lingard shown to be played as a number 8? He played there in the World Cup with Alli and England were notoriously unable to create many chances in open play and were heavily reliant on set pieces. Yes you could argue had you had another type of midfielder next to him it would help but Lingard has shown he is occasionally good at a few things: working hard, making space for others in the final third and sometimes interlinking play between forwards.

Class of 63

Sourness
He never played a game under Ferguson, and he weaseled his way into LVG and Mourinho's team in a position we've been starved of options. He has qualities that makes it possible to be a passenger in an already functional side as I mentioned before, but he's been exposed massively in the last 2 years when he's been relied on as a senior first team regular.

99% of our fan base can't really stand him being a first team regular anymore and when the majority is as one sided as that, it's conclusive that he should be nowhere near Man Utd's first team.
He never played a game for SAF true, but that was down to his physical development not his ability, the club had sought special dispensation from the FA/PL to play Jesse as an 18 year old in under 16 football as he was so small, so it's no surprise that although twice an unused substitute he hadn't been able to force his way into the first-team before SAF had retired as he was only 19 when he left.

I'd be interested to hear what the 1% who can stand him being a first-team regular think.

Class of 63

Sourness
What passing ability has Lingard shown to be played as a number 8? He played there in the World Cup with Alli and England were notoriously unable to create many chances in open play and were heavily reliant on set pieces. Yes you could argue had you had another type of midfielder next to him it would help but Lingard has shown he is occasionally good at a few things: working hard, making space for others in the final third and sometimes interlinking play between forwards.
He's got a canny knack of finding space when there doesn't appear to be any, and he's more a ball carrier(taxi!) like a Darren Fletcher than a passer though his short game in tight areas is good when he's at the top of his game, and if he can get his confidence back up he can still be a very useful player for United linking the midfield and forwards, in the short and long term.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's got a canny knack of finding space when there doesn't appear to be any, and he's more a ball carrier(taxi!) like a Darren Fletcher than a passer though his short game in tight areas is good when he's at the top of his game, and if he can get his confidence back up he can still be a very useful player for United linking the midfield and forwards, in the short and long term.
A number 8 needs to be able to defend as Darren Fletcher could. Lingard could play there if the other two CMs compensate for his lack of midfield quality, physical attributes and defensive ability. But he simply isnt good enough in attack to make that arrangement.

Utlimately he's a very average footballer. I used to feel he was fine as a squad but it appears he's at the level of a squad player to players who should ideally be squad players. For example the likes of James should be the backup /rotational option to a starter rather than Lingard being the backup/rotational option to James.

Class of 63

Sourness
A number 8 needs to be able to defend as Darren Fletcher could. Lingard could play there if the other two CMs compensate for his lack of midfield quality, physical attributes and defensive ability. But he simply isnt good enough in attack to make that arrangement.

Utlimately he's a very average footballer. I used to feel he was fine as a squad but it appears he's at the level of a squad player to players who should ideally be squad players. For example the likes of James should be the backup /rotational option to a starter rather than Lingard being the backup/rotational option to James.
Darren played most of his football in a rigid 4-4-2, we're moving towards 4-3-3, or 4-2-3-1 so the requirements of a no.8 are totally different now.

He's in piss poor form, nobody is denying that, but i'm sorry to say he's a very average footballer is just nonsense.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Darren played most of his football in a rigid 4-4-2, we're moving towards 4-3-3, or 4-2-3-1 so the requirements of a no.8 are totally different now.

He's in piss poor form, nobody is denying that, but i'm sorry to say he's a very average footballer is just nonsense.
Do you have anything to back up that he is more than an average footballer?

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Erm you don't spend nearly 20(twenty)years at Manchester United football club if you are only average.
:lol:(laughing smiley) because that's the best you could come up with zero regards to actual parameters that help in judging a forward/attacking player.

Persisting with players like him is the reason why we are in such a mess but whatever.

amolbhatia50k

He also played in a 433. Look around at most teams. A number 8 tends to have defensive acumen, some physical presence or both. Lingard has neither. I dont think he is incapable of playing the role. But he's more suited to do so for Crystal Palance than Manchester United.

He's been in this supposed "form" for over a year now. And even before that he was never all that good. He's very average - at his best merely good. That's the sign of a player that isn't very good.

amolbhatia50k

Erm you don't spend nearly 20(twenty)years at Manchester United football club if you are only average.
Brilliant criteria right there. Performances don't matter - just spend time at football club.

Obviously he's average by the standards at this football club. I'm sure at a lesser club he'd indeed be seen as a quality footballer.

redcafe_reader

Spot on. He's great at fooling people. It's not a coincidence that two of the best games Rashford played this season is without him.

Class of 63

Sourness
He also played in a 433. Look around at most teams. A number 8 tends to have defensive acumen, some physical presence or both. Lingard has neither. I dont think he is incapable of playing the role. But he's more suited to do so for Crystal Palance than Manchester United.

He's been in this supposed "form" for over a year now. And even before that he was never all that good. He's very average - at his best merely good. That's the sign of a player that isn't very good.
Forget the 8, apologies for bringing it up....

Jesse has been likened to Andreas Iniesta and Jean Tigana in style, neither had defensive acumen, or some physical presence.

ayushreddevil9

People who don't actually have stats to backup their claims usually come up crap like "xyz years at club", "abc managers play him". Being best among the worst doesn't really help. Don't remember seeing him playing under Fergie. LvG used to play Blackett, TFM and other youngsters who didn't make it. Mourinho literally had to play him because of poor selection available.

Spot on. He's great at fooling people. It's not a coincidence that two of the best games Rashford played this season is without him.
Well of course a team will play better with XI men contributing :)

Class of 63

Sourness
Brilliant criteria right there. Performances don't matter - just spend time at football club.

Obviously he's average by the standards at this football club. I'm sure at a lesser club he'd indeed be seen as a quality footballer.
Go on them, why has he lasted so long at one of, if not the biggest club on the planet if he's only average?

ayushreddevil9

Go on them, why has he lasted so long at one of, if not the biggest club on the planet if he's only average?
From the moment SAF retired, the only player we signed for the #10 position was Juan Mata. Kagawa was signed by SAF but was mostly played in the #10 role by Moyes. Or that position was usually occupied by Rooney.

We kept messing up the squad with so many poor signings that the #10 became least of our priorities. Mata lost his legs and whatever physicality he had. By the laws of poor competition, Lingard kept surviving.

We are finally looking good with the defence. Still a lot of work needs to be done with midfield but we are rightfully looking for #10s and hopefully that will mark the permanent benching of Jlingz.

Status
Not open for further replies.