Jesse Lingard 'to leave on a free'

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Ole needed to be firm in the summer and ship him out. Would have easily got between 25-30m and saved a years worth of wages for a player who’s sat in the bench.

Completely useless this club at shipping out the deadwood
Still blaming Ole, so unfair!

RedDevil@84

Well it didn't turn out well when West ham puller out altogether did it?
Because that's how much they wanted him. Else they wouldn't have settled for "Moyes made a friendly call with Ole". They would have communicated with club officially.

skc_18

Our club administration has to be one of the worst in the years probably in Europe. If not for the global image of the club, we would have been doomed.
I could justify Pogba leaving on Free because of this high wages but allowing Lingard leave on free is absolutely ridiculous from the club.
Every one at the club seems to have emotional attachment rather than business or logical one. We are not allowing players leave even when they are not part of the squad. Pogba should have been shipped 2 years ago. Same with likes of Lingard, bailly.

Gandalf

Ole needed to be firm in the summer and ship him out. Would have easily got between 25-30m and saved a years worth of wages for a player who’s sat in the bench.

Completely useless this club at shipping out the deadwood
This is again a false narrative. Nobody made an offer and the only mention of a price for Jesse was when we mentioned 25-30m and the response from the journalists who had clearly been briefed was that West Ham were not interested at that price and would struggle to even go to 10m despite promptly turning around and blowing 25m on Vlasic who is levels below Lingard. If a credible offer had come in then there would have been a discussion to be had but I repeat, not one club offered us anything for him last summer and the only club that showed even a sniff of interest did not value him that highly and moved on after one off the record chat with Ole.

If West Ham wanted him, they would have bid. If Jesse wanted to go there, he would have asked for a transfer. Neither of these things happened and Jesse played the I want to be at United card in the media at the same time that he was refusing to extend his contract. The evidence suggests Jesse has had an eye on a free transfer since last summer and has been more than content to play I-Spy on the bench with Donny and work on his Instagram while he waits for his big sack of cash.

skc_18

Still blaming Ole, so unfair!
If Ole was firm in saying that Lingard can be sold, I don't think club would have blocked the sale. My guess is that after Lingard's loan spell at WHU, Ole genuinely felt there is a player who can help his squad. Forgetting that he watched the same Lingard for last few years in the training. Lingard probably could still have impact but you cant argue that a player like Elanga will not have same impact in his stead.

If Ole bought Rice with Lingard going other way last summer, he would probably still be at the job. Ole made some ridiculous decisions starting at the end of last season.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If Ole was firm in saying that Lingard can be sold, I don't think club would have blocked the sale. My guess is that after Lingard's loan spell at WHU, Ole genuinely felt there is a player who can help his squad. Forgetting that he watched the same Lingard for last few years in the training. Lingard probably could still have impact but you cant argue that a player like Elanga will not have same impact in his stead.

If Ole bought Rice with Lingard going other way last summer, he would probably still be at the job. Ole made some ridiculous decisions starting at the end of last season.
Ole couldn't prevent the Club selling James, the player that he had any use.

Castia

This is again a false narrative. Nobody made an offer and the only mention of a price for Jesse was when we mentioned 25-30m and the response from the journalists who had clearly been briefed was that West Ham were not interested at that price and would struggle to even go to 10m despite promptly turning around and blowing 25m on Vlasic who is levels below Lingard. If a credible offer had come in then there would have been a discussion to be had but I repeat, not one club offered us anything for him last summer and the only club that showed even a sniff of interest did not value him that highly and moved on after one off the record chat with Ole.

If West Ham wanted him, they would have bid. If Jesse wanted to go there, he would have asked for a transfer. Neither of these things happened and Jesse played the I want to be at United card in the media at the same time that he was refusing to extend his contract. The evidence suggests Jesse has had an eye on a free transfer since last summer and has been more than content to play I-Spy on the bench with Donny and work on his Instagram while he waits for his big sack of cash.
The narrative from the summer was he sat down with Ole who told he he would get game time, should have told him the truth that he’s going to be a squad player at best and I’m sure he would have had a bid from West Ham

stevoc

Moyes said it himself.

"Ole [Gunnar Solskjaer] made it clear to me quite early in the transfer window that he wanted to keep him.

"So I knew pretty early in the transfer window that he was staying at Manchester United. I had a private conversation with Ole who made it clear that he was staying."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ma...n-united-transfers-jesse-lingard-21597631.amp
Mate seriously again how does something Moyes said he was told which may or may not have been Solskjaer playing the game to drive Lingard's price up, in any way prove that Solskjaer told Lingard he'd get loads of games this season?

Do you remember Solskjaer's comments on Sanchez when he was on loan at Inter?

Gandalf

The narrative from the summer was he sat down with Ole who told he he would get game time, should have told him the truth that he’s going to be a squad player at best and I’m sure he would have had a bid from West Ham
Of course Solskjaer said he would get game time but Jesse would have to be a total moron to think that meant he was going to be starting every week. He spent the second half of last season on loan after not playing a PL match in the first half of that season and was rejoining a team that had added another player in Sancho to compete with him. Managers hoard players, they expect the worst with injuries and suspensions and want all the cover they can get but it was blindingly obvious that short of long term injuries to multiple players he was going to be 3rd or 4th choice for every position in our attack and sitting on the bench. For what it's worth the narrative was as you say that he was in his plans and would get game time which is exactly what happened. The narrative was never that he was guaranteed starts or was going to be a key player and it is just PR spin from his camp to present it that way. He is getting what he wanted and now he wants to get a little extra on top, I am not going to criticize him for looking out for number one but I am certainly not going to sympathize with him.

skc_18

Ole couldn't prevent the Club selling James, the player that he had any use.
And major part of the reason for that was because of the price Leeds was willing to pay. If Leeds wanted at lower price, I think James would still be Utd player.
In Lingard's case, I dont think price was high for obvious reasons.

stevoc

I agree with this.

People commenting that Ole told him in a private convo that he was staying.... well that was "private" then wasn't it?

Secondly, Moyes will say that to save face with West Ham because firstly they were not offering anywhere near £20m to sign him but signed Vlasic for £25m and secondly, Ole will not say, nah we don't want him, take him. I mean most signings we make, the manager wants to keep the player, that doesn't mean we don't sign them.

Finally, evidence shows that Jesse was not going to start or get games. However well he did, sometimes as a player you have to realise yourself that you will not get ahead of Bruno, Rashford, Greenwood. Then we signed Sancho and Ronaldo.

I mean it is entirely on Lingard. Why should we let him go on loan without a good fee to keep Newcastle up?

The club need to think about themselves not Jesse. He is going to go on a free, he isn't thinking oh I want the club to get a fee for me, so why should the club care ?
Indeed this whole narrative about Solskjaer suddenly after 18 months of not playing Lingard suddenly decided he was a massive part of his plans and told him he'd get lots of games is based on very little and is quite obviously bullshit.

romufc

Indeed this whole narrative about Solskjaer suddenly after 18 months of not playing Lingard suddenly decided he was a massive part of his plans and told him he'd get lots of games is based on very little and is quite obviously bullshit.
Exactly. Ole knows what Lingard was capable of, we had him playing in the 10 and LW for a long time and we were not scoring goals. Bruno came in and changed everything, put up numbers and fans think Lingard had a chance to start?

As fans we believe what suits our narrative, bottom line is West Ham wanted a cheap deal, regardless of him having 1 year left. They offered £10m for him and signed £25m Vlasic instead who can't get a game.

I do not blame the club one bit for sticking to their guns. Teams often get their own way in transfers, you think West Ham would do us a deal for Rice? No chance.

Also, I have a better example, Dan James was ahead of Lingard in the pecking order, he started games at the start of the season and a £25m offer came and he was gone. I guarantee, if Leeds bid £15m he would still be at the club.

stevoc

Exactly. Ole knows what Lingard was capable of, we had him playing in the 10 and LW for a long time and we were not scoring goals. Bruno came in and changed everything, put up numbers and fans think Lingard had a chance to start?

As fans we believe what suits our narrative, bottom line is West Ham wanted a cheap deal, regardless of him having 1 year left. They offered £10m for him and signed £25m Vlasic instead who can't get a game.

I do not blame the club one bit for sticking to their guns. Teams often get their own way in transfers, you think West Ham would do us a deal for Rice? No chance.

Also, I have a better example, Dan James was ahead of Lingard in the pecking order, he started games at the start of the season and a £25m offer came and he was gone. I guarantee, if Leeds bid £15m he would still be at the club.
Indeed and this particular one feeds nicely into a few different narratives. The pro Lingard one, the Anti Solskjaer and/or Woodward/Board ones.

When you look at how Solskjaer handled Lingard for the last 2 years vs 2nd/3rd hand accounts and Twitter nonsense then it makes zero fecking sense that Ole wanted to keep Lingard or told him jack shit about him getting loads of games this season.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Indeed and this particular one feeds nicely into a few different narratives. The pro Lingard one, the Anti Solskjaer and/or Woodward/Board ones.

When you look at how Solskjaer handled Lingard for the last 2 years vs 2nd/3rd hand accounts and Twitter nonsense then it makes zero fecking sense that Ole wanted to keep Lingard or told him jack shit about him getting loads of games this season.
While I'd agree how Ole had dropped Lingard should tell everyone how little he valued Lingard, the guy was still getting minutes up till this season. He played against Newcastle, and West Ham if I were not wrong. That makes it look like Ole was giving him the minutes he supposedly promised.

I'm no fan of Lingard, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the story of Ole promising him game time.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
And major part of the reason for that was because of the price Leeds was willing to pay. If Leeds wanted at lower price, I think James would still be Utd player.
In Lingard's case, I dont think price was high for obvious reasons.
yeh. We only made like 10m profit from James.

So there's no 20-25m on the table from west ham, and Lingard wasn't push for a transfer either.
But even at lower price, with saving from his wage might be substantial.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Nobody was offering 25m for them.
I'm sure those two could fetch at least 25m combined last summer. Then if you count wage saving from selling those two compared to James, it's adding up substantially more.

So it could be just they didn't want the move, or they're considered "assets" by Ed. There's no way Ole considered both as more important than James.

Last edited:

Gandalf

But again. Nobody offered to buy them, we received a 25M offer for James and took it as he was squad depth and the deal represented a profit. Not a chance Donny would be sold for a significant loss 1 year after a 35M move and nobody would have paid what we wanted. Jesse as has been established had a market that was colder than a witches tit and is probably going to be loving life when he signs his free agent deal with Burnley in the summer.

alexthelion

Moyes wanted to sign him but was told by Ole that it was out of the question, so no offer was made.
Why would Moyes talk to Ole about a transfer? Ole wasn't the one handling transfers, it was Woodward/Judge.

I call BS.

Gandalf

Why would Moyes lie about it though?
He is not lying but he is being duplicitous because he knows full well that Ole was not the decision maker so trotting out this quote gives him cover for the fact that West Ham thought they could lowball us through the media and we would go crawling to them before the deadline offering to sell him for a couple of million, some back issues of the Sunday Spurt and a signed Stuart Pearce shirt. The mutual love in between West Ham and Jesse is hilarious when you consider that after he essentially got them into Europe they made no serious bid for him and prioritized other signings like Vlasic who is not even Championship level when at the same time Jesse was briefing that he was staying at United to fight for his place. How it is mean old Ole's fault that the Hammers would not pay up and Jesse declined to ask for a transfer is some next level bs.

L1nk

Never wanted us to be rid of a player so much

RuudtheRed

Never wanted us to be rid of a player so much
It's not as if Jesse has downed tools and stopped going for training. I wouldn't put much stock by this nameless source, at best it could just be one of his mates giving his own opinion (which isn't wrong, I doubt Jesse will feature in any important games for the rest of the season barring an injury crisis).

Anyway, I wish Jesse all the best at his new club in the summer. He's had purple patches but he's not the player to take us to the next level. The only way the club would have benefited from not selling him at the end of the last season is if that last minute winner against West Ham in September proves to be the crucial 3 points that secures us a top 4 spot this season.

CloneMC16

If those figures are true, United are asking for a ridiculous amount. £12m bonus for avoiding relegation? Say what you want about him, but he's been with us since he was a child. He's spent his whole career here. If he's willing to go to Newcastle for any kind of fair fee, let him go. We're not going to play him and we'll get something better than £0. I will back Lingard in this scenario. That's shit behaviour from the club.

Sviken

If those figures are true, United are asking for a ridiculous amount. £12m bonus for avoiding relegation? Say what you want about him, but he's been with us since he was a child. He's spent his whole career here. If he's willing to go to Newcastle for any kind of fair fee, let him go. We're not going to play him and we'll get something better than £0. I will back Lingard in this scenario. That's shit behaviour from the club.
What does the club get for this, though? You're acting like Jesse has done a favor for the club being here since he was a child. If he wasn't a paid footballer, never United level btw, he'd be working at McDonalds at best. Instead, he is a millionaire. Wow, the club wants money for him. Well, no shit. He cost us millions to ship him out in order for him to get his free transfer money, now Newcastle either bends over and offers what is desired or Jesse might as well never see any gametime for the rest of the season. See how much signing on free he'd get ewith zero playing time for the past season.

It's better not strengthening a future rival and saving them from relegation than pay Jesse's wages for half a season. Like that will do any difference to the club's financse.

mu4c_20le

Found Jesse's account