Joachim Löw finished as Germany coach after the Euros

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I just realized Paul the octopus has been dead for 10 years.

Studies suggest that octopuses are astonishingly intelligent creatures and highly competent problem-solvers, but then to be fair there's only so much you can get done within a life span of two and a half years.
I mean, if us humans only grew to be three years old, I doubt we'd have produced much of culture, civilization, or science.
Seeing that it seems to be incrementally difficult and complicated, frankly impossible, for us to manage the severe and existential problems our living activity as a species poses to everyone's survival, I wonder if we couldn't laser-focus our efforts on meaningfully prolonging octopus life expectancy, which is something I feel we could get done, and then trust them with handling the whole thing once they can muster up the time for a proper analysis?

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Has he been that bad? Haven't really heard anything about the German NT since 2018.
Well, the only things you would've heard are stories of historical failures. After the Euros in 2016 (the moment he should've stepped down), the national team lost a lot of luster, then the catastrophic WC18 happened, then 2 years of absolutely boredom and shite football that culminated in Spain shafting them like no team had in living memory. Him booting out Müller and Hummels was the icing on the shit cake.

I still maintain that Löw was colossally lucky because he got to manage a golden german generation that won the WC14 despite - not because of - him being at the helm. I will gladly die on this hill. Can't wait to never see that fraudster on the sideline again.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
On the other hand, if we all were just three year olds we wouldn't have much nuclear waste, or continent-sized floating patches of plastic spam for that matter.
While, who knows, you give squids a few more decades to get any ideas, and suddenly they're roaring around in oil tankers and all have three SUVs parked in their garage shells, too .

So maybe better be safe than sorry, shrink our lifespan to infant size rather than prolonging theirs.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I find it a bit sad that Löw is seen so negatively nowadays. I hope his legacy will heal at least to some extent in the upcoming years. He took Germany over in the dark ages of German football and initiated a great development. Yes, he always had good squads at his disposal but throughout his spell as head coach there were many teams with even better teams individually who were far more hit and miss than Germany was. People always want to see their favorite players in the starting line up and given how much quality Germany had, the coach is always going to disappoint one group or the other.

I think Löw lost the plot after the disastrous WC. He wanted to please the critics but he should've sticked with his playing philosophy instead of copying France which in my opinion didn't even deserve the title. He should've resigned back then, now he has only made matters worse. Hopefully he can get a good result this summer.

Don't buy the Klopp rumors, no way he's leaving Liverpool already. Even if he wanted to go, they won't be willing to let him leave and he definitely won't force his way out. Can't see who could take over the team right now apart from maybe Flick (that would be nice but just as unlikely as Klopp). I fear we might wish Löw back in the not so distant future. We've got quality coaches but I don't see anybody of them taking over a national team already.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Good. I hope you feel better about shrinking our lifespan.
And don't believe everything Klopp says, he lied before, many times.
I hope he takes the job tomorrow if the alternative is Flick. Anyway, the above quote is incomplete, he didn't say "you stick to a contract" but "in general you try to honour a contract". Already left a back door open.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Just to finish my musings, ultimately it won't matter anyway, since all of us, humans and octopuses, along with the rest, will perish, and be survived by a serene and disinterested mass of jellyfish.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting. "
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/magazine/can-a-jellyfish-unlock-the-secret-of-immortality.html

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
About time. He has been absolutely integral to their success since he has been appointed as Klinsmann's assistant, but he has overstayed his welcome by quite a while.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Based on my sources the next manager is 100% not going to be Rafa Benitez.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I hope he takes the job tomorrow if the alternative is Flick. Anyway, the above quote is incomplete, he didn't say "you stick to a contract" but "in general you try to honour a contract". Already left a back door open.
Don't worry, you can just ask the mods to add a " dich" to your user name. Quite anticipatory of you!

Bojan11

He did a good job for the first 10 years. Both times Germany lost finals and semi- finals in 2008-2010 were because Spain had the better players. He should have left after winning the World Cup.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Question for the German fans here, how would you feel about Klopp as manager of the national team?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Question for the German fans here, how would you feel about Klopp as manager of the national team?
He was great for Dortmund but it's been some time since he coached in a competitive league. Won a one horse race with a Corona asterisk, fair enough, but bent over to City this season like the rest of the league. I'd prefer a Bundesliga proven manager to be honest.

Am I doing this right?

OleBoiii

He was great for Dortmund but it's been some time since he coached in a competitive league. Won a one horse race with a Corona asterisk, fair enough, but bent over to City this season like the rest of the league. I'd prefer a Bundesliga proven manager to be honest.

Am I doing this right?
We had a mass-banning of Liverpool supporters last summer. Perhaps the Bundesliga supporters should be next? :p

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I find it a bit sad that Löw is seen so negatively nowadays. I hope his legacy will heal at least to some extent in the upcoming years. He took Germany over in the dark ages of German football and initiated a great development. Yes, he always had good squads at his disposal but throughout his spell as head coach there were many teams with even better teams individually who were far more hit and miss than Germany was. People always want to see their favorite players in the starting line up and given how much quality Germany had, the coach is always going to disappoint one group or the other.

I think Löw lost the plot after the disastrous WC. He wanted to please the critics but he should've sticked with his playing philosophy instead of copying France which in my opinion didn't even deserve the title. He should've resigned back then, now he has only made matters worse. Hopefully he can get a good result this summer.

Don't buy the Klopp rumors, no way he's leaving Liverpool already. Even if he wanted to go, they won't be willing to let him leave and he definitely won't force his way out. Can't see who could take over the team right now apart from maybe Flick (that would be nice but just as unlikely as Klopp). I fear we might wish Löw back in the not so distant future. We've got quality coaches but I don't see anybody of them taking over a national team already.
I think that's a very generous way of describing Löw sticking with Podolski until 2016, casting aside Müller, Reus, (pre injuries) Götze, Gündogan, etc for him. Which cost the team in 2012 especially. The same kind of blind loyalty that had him scrambling for a new approach from scratch 45 minutes into the 2018 WC.

And I wouldn't say that Löw has one distinct philosophy in the broader sense either. At the 2010 WC he seemingly tried to play Klopp's (or Rangnick's) football and after Heynckes and Pep took over Bayern he adjusted things in their direction. I feel like trying to get back to the football of his earlier years was the one thing he did right since 2014. He wasn't able to balance that dominant approach anymore and arguably the lack of either individual quality or athleticism of defensive players doesn't allow for it anymore.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

The problem why he is seen so negatively is that he failed earlier - not after WC 2018, but already after WC 2014. Up until that tournament I agree - he took over as Klinsmanns assistant in the dark ages and was there to reap the rewards of the massively restructured German youth system (which is not his work, but he proved to be able to create great teams out of the young players he had available from 2010 to 2014). And up until the win 2014 he was at least mostly reasonable and open for suggestions (some important training decisions in 2014 were allegedly Hansi Flicks work, like the focus on standard situations), but after he won that tournament and lost Flick as his assistant, he became much too arrogant and year after year did more to ruin his legacy.

Funny thing is the Confed Cup 2017 - he won that by nominating some kind of a B-team and letting them play a much different style to what he usually prefers. And then he completely failed at integrating the best players from that with the actual core of the national team. I think I will never understand how this happened, but at least for my gut feeling the contrast between 2017 and 2018 makes him somehow even worse. 2017 proved that he can adapt to the circumstances and that he is not a bad coach as such. 2018 proved that he just does not want to adapt when he thinks he has the right team, and this arrogance is and will be the worst thing about him in the post-2014 years and not so quickly be forgotten.

Especially as Flick finally proved himself as a real top-team coach in the meantime, something which Löw never did, and this will over time only grow the feeling, that 2014 was somehow also Flicks triumph and not so much Löws (I won't deny this from Löw, but I know that people who feel even worse about him do this)

Traub

He still won a World Cup in Brazil, absolutely decimating the most successful international team on their home turf.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well the German word Sorge means concern/worry/sorrow, so he's definitely not first choice, I can tell you.
Orge is used to make malt, so you will have something to drown your sorrows.