Joe Rogan

OleBoiii

What is it with people in combat sports that think they can just out train the Corona virus
Their entire life revolves around "mind over matter" and a good deal of these fighters are obviously very resilient to begin with, which just makes the cycle worse(confirmation bias).

bsCallout

I don't know why it is made out that his opinion means anything. He's basically a chat show host, I wouldn't expect people to care when Graham Norton says something stupid.

Tarrou

I don't know why it is made out that his opinion means anything. He's basically a chat show host, I wouldn't expect people to care when Graham Norton says something stupid.
if any public figure is telling people not to take a vaccine people should care

OleBoiii

I don't know why it is made out that his opinion means anything.
He has incredible reach. Young men in particular love his stuff, which is interesting considering the format(very long episodes, very slow paced, lots of digressions, nothing going on visually).

Yes, he calls himself an idiot and repeatedly says "you shouldn't listen to what I say cause I'm not an expert". But I don't think that he really means that. Actions speak louder than words. Rogan has a tendency of talking more than his guests. He's also extremely opinionated and biased.

bsCallout

if any public figure is telling people not to take a vaccine people should care
He gives his opinion on whether he thinks young people should take the vaccine. I mean he's not to be taken as an authority on it but let's atleast allow there to be a discussion.

Do we even yet know if those 21yo and younger would need it? By that point most of the population would have been vaccinated and the risk to young people is exceptionally low.

bsCallout

He has incredible reach. Young men in particular love his stuff, which is interesting considering the format(very long episodes, very slow paced, lots of digressions, nothing going on visually).

Yes, he calls himself an idiot and repeatedly says "you shouldn't listen to what I say cause I'm not an expert". But I don't think that he really means that. Actions speak louder than words. Rogan has a tendency of talking more than his guests. He's also extremely opinionated and biased.
My biggest problem with him is he tends to get guests on that agree with his world view. I don't expect to see him get a pro-vaccine doctor.

Tarrou

He gives his opinion on whether he thinks young people should take the vaccine. I mean he's not to be taken as an authority on it but let's atleast allow there to be a discussion.

Do we even yet know if those 21yo and younger would need it? By that point most of the population would have been vaccinated and the risk to young people is exceptionally low.
There is a discussion, he said it and now everyone is saying it's stupid. Of course they should take it, it's not about their risk but the risk to the parents, grandparents and everyone else who is vulnerable.

bsCallout

There is a discussion, he said it and now everyone is saying it's stupid. Of course they should take it, it's not about their risk but the risk to the parents, grandparents and everyone else who is vulnerable.
But those will have all been vaccinated or am I missing something?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Given the amount of bro-science horseshit he's always peddled and espoused on his show, it's no surprise that he has regularly sounded like a moron when talking about COVID. Plus any sort of concerns about vaccines are particularly ironic coming from Rogan given god knows what he's pumped into his body over the years.

Unfortunately some saps do actually listen to him though, which is why he's rightly being criticised.

Oggmonster

He has a huge cult following and because of how he presents himself he often fools people into think he knows his stuff. Graham Norton in comparison literally just asks questions and makes people laugh...I don't think I've heard his opinion on anything other than any guest he has on their film/tv show/album is great etc.

I always used to hear people go on about what they'd heard on Rogan etc and because he often gets guests on who will agree with his view (or he agrees with theirs) then he seems to know more than he does and people repeat it as gospel.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He has a huge cult following and because of how he presents himself he often fools people into think he knows his stuff. Graham Norton in comparison literally just asks questions and makes people laugh...I don't think I've heard his opinion on anything other than any guest he has on their film/tv show/album is great etc.

I always used to hear people go on about what they'd heard on Rogan etc and because he often gets guests on who will agree with his view (or he agrees with theirs) then he seems to know more than he does and people repeat it as gospel.
Currently listening to my hero, Alex Honnold, on the JRE podcast. One of the better episodes because he’s a very smart guy who’s a little on the spectrum and very blunt. He keeps interrupting Rogan when he’s on one of his dubious rants and saying “actually, I don’t think that’s true” and giving solid, logical reasons why he thinks he’s talking out his arse. Great to hear. So far Rogan hasn’t lost patience with him. Yet.

bsCallout

a lot of people in the US don't want the vaccine

edit: approx 1 in 4
So we should vaccinate youngsters(who likely don't need to be) to protect older people that don't want to protect themselves?

bsCallout

Currently listening to my hero, Alex Honnold, on the JRE podcast. One of the better episodes because he’s a very smart guy who’s a little on the spectrum and very blunt. He keeps interrupting Rogan when he’s on one of his dubious rants and saying “actually, I don’t think that’s true”. Great to hear. So far Rogan hasn’t lost patience with him. Yet.
Honnold is so good for that, he always corrects podcasters. Absolute legend

Tarrou

i can't remember which episode it was recently but Rogan tried to explain what the Dunning-Kruger effect was but got it completely wrong.. quite fitting

bsCallout

That's fair enough. I think you're a bit thick to listen to Rogan and take him as all knowing.

I definitely agree that he seems to interview people that just agree with his view.

The best bit about Rogan for me is that he moans that vegans need to take vitamins when his body is full of god knows what drugs like you say.

Tarrou

So we should vaccinate youngsters(who likely don't need to be) to protect older people that don't want to protect themselves?
we should vaccinate everyone willing to take it to get as close to herd immunity as possible

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
That's an argument used by pre covid anti vaxxers, "if your kid is vaccinated, why do you care if my kid isn't?". It's because vaccines aren't 100% effective, so you're still endangering a huge amount of people by not getting them. See the resurgence of measles as a prime example.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
The more people that keep getting it, the bigger chance it has of mutating into something even worse. Potentially something that can kill all those already vaccinated.

fergieisold

he's under fire again for saying young people shouldn't take the covid vaccine, the fecking dolt

he seems to have a big blind-spot when it comes to covid
It's annoying now he's on Spotify. Is it still easy to pull up the clips? I hear Spotify have been pulling some of his interviews which I would have though he'd be fuming at - but the amount of money they pay him I guess he's kept quiet?

I like Joe, not sure why he gets so much hate. He says some dumb redneck things but overall he's great...some of the best interview material out there.

bsCallout

That's an argument used by pre covid anti vaxxers, "if your kid is vaccinated, why do you care if my kid isn't?". It's because vaccines aren't 100% effective, so you're still endangering a huge amount of people by not getting them. See the resurgence of measles as a prime example.
If I'm not mistaken youngsters have very very little chance of being effected by covid, that chance reduces even further with the more people vaccinated. Most of the population will be vaccinated thus protecting themselves, I'm still not understanding why under 21's would necessarily need a vaccine?

The more people that keep getting it, the bigger chance it has of mutating into something even worse. Potentially something that can kill all those already vaccinated.
Have you got any sources that talk about this because that seems unlikely with the current rate or roll out and reduction in cases.

FYI - I'm taking the vaccine but I haven't seen much discussion on whether younger people than me will really need it.

Conor

If I'm not mistaken youngsters have very very little chance of being effected by covid, that chance reduces even further with the more people vaccinated. Most of the population will be vaccinated thus protecting themselves, I'm still not understanding why under 21's would necessarily need a vaccine?

Have you got any sources that talk about this because that seems unlikely with the current rate or roll out and reduction in cases.

FYI - I'm taking the vaccine but I haven't seen much discussion on whether younger people than me will really need it.
You vaccinate everyone to try and eradicate the virus(as much as is possible). There is still a chance of someone getting the virus while vaccinated; if you have millions of young adults floating around with no vaccinations, the likelihood of older people getting covid increases by a large margin. Also, as mentioned above, there are some people that just won't take the vaccine, vaccinating as many willing people as possible makes the world a safer place for those (mostly) idiots.

LuisNaniencia

Assume the vaccine is 85% effective (putting aside the fact we don't know how long it lasts yet). 15% of the vaccinated population would still be at risk. That's a huge amount of people.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool

I'm not from an English speaking country but I heard it on the news the other day. It's already mutated countless times and I would think that if it keeps going through that many people, those mutations are gonna keep coming and some are either going to be much more dangerous to the young or against those already vaccinated.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Other people's opinions really are an issue for must human beings, crazy.... whatever he thinks, let it be. It is his opinion, if you have a different one, either don't listen or accept it. I'm not really a JR fan but MMA podcasts are pretty good

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Other people's opinions really are an issue for must human beings, crazy.... whatever he thinks, let it be. It is his opinion, if you have a different one, either don't listen or accept it. I'm not really a JR fan but MMA podcasts are pretty good
So other people’s opinions shouldn’t be challenged or debated? Or does that just go for people who have a platform that lets them spew their often uneducated and poorly considered musing to millions of people?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
So other people’s opinions shouldn’t be challenged or debated? Or does that just go for people who have a platform that lets them spew their often uneducated and poorly considered musing to millions of people?
Having a discussion is one thing, saying he's an idiot another. On top, what is highly uneducated really? Even that is debatable

bsCallout

Assume the vaccine is 85% effective (putting aside the fact we don't know how long it lasts yet). 15% of the vaccinated population would still be at risk. That's a huge amount of people.
Okay how does that play out with the fact that the majority of people that are otherwise healthy and under the age of 55 don't get badly effected?

Oggmonster

Currently listening to my hero, Alex Honnold, on the JRE podcast. One of the better episodes because he’s a very smart guy who’s a little on the spectrum and very blunt. He keeps interrupting Rogan when he’s on one of his dubious rants and saying “actually, I don’t think that’s true” and giving solid, logical reasons why he thinks he’s talking out his arse. Great to hear. So far Rogan hasn’t lost patience with him. Yet.
The one from years ago with Brian Cox is funny cos he explains stuff and Rogan tries explaining it along with him but clearly didn't understand what was meant and Brian Cox has to keep telling him he is wrong (albeit he says it really nicely.) I don't think he's been on since, I have a feeling that is a familiar theme with his guests...unless Rogan feels the smartest guy in the room you don't get to go back on.

That's fair enough. I think you're a bit thick to listen to Rogan and take him as all knowing.

I definitely agree that he seems to interview people that just agree with his view.

The best bit about Rogan for me is that he moans that vegans need to take vitamins when his body is full of god knows what drugs like you say.
Haha I'd agree with that definitely, it's worrying the amount of people who do though. Before I got rid of Facebook I'd always see people share or comment on his videos saying how great he is and these were people I'd known for a long time and considered them to be semi intelligent.

Yeah he's a massive hypocrite with stuff really. He looks like he's going to explode any second. Almost like a jacked Alan Brazil.

LuisNaniencia

Okay I don't really like much of what Rogan says but your can't claim people shouldn't share their opinion.
Read the context of my comment bud, Escobar said if we don't agree with Rogan we should just accept it, to which I replied, that would be fine if he kept it to himself. The fact he's broadcasting dangerous opinions to millions means it should be critiqued.

For example, when trump intimated injecting bleach in front of millions, should that have remained unchallenged?

Okay how does that play out with the fact that the majority of people that are otherwise healthy and under the age of 55 don't get badly effected?
Don't really understand your point here. Are you trying to quantify an acceptable amount of damage? Like if only 50k people die due to under 21's not bothering to vaccinate, that's okay?

bsCallout

Read the context of my comment bud, Escobar said if we don't agree with Rogan we should just accept it, to which I replied, that would be fine if he kept it to himself. The fact he's broadcasting dangerous opinions to millions means it should be critiqued.

For example, when trump intimated injecting bleach in front of millions, should that have remained unchallenged?

Don't really understand your point here. Are you trying to quantify an acceptable amount of damage? Like if only 50k people die due to under 21's not bothering to vaccinate, that's okay?
I guess 'just accept it' isn't the right thing either but if he didn't say it you'd have nothing to accept as you wouldn't know.

If a tree falls with no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Edit: And yes, when there have been health concerns with vaccines(small risk), it is important to understand how many people are at risk in the first place. By all the data I've read it is exceptionally low for young people.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
we should vaccinate everyone willing to take it to get as close to herd immunity as possible
This Vaccine doesn't actually stop you catching or spreading COVID though does it? it just helps defend you against the worst of the disease when you do get it.

Herd immunity will only happen once most of the world has had it, then a new variant will start just like the Flu.

COVID won't ever disappear, we can only help make it less dangerous.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Last edited:

LuisNaniencia

I guess 'just accept it' isn't the right thing either but if he didn't say it you'd have nothing to accept as you wouldn't know.

If a tree falls with no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Edit: And yes, when there have been health concerns with vaccines(small risk), it is important to understand how many people are at risk in the first place. By all the data I've read it is exceptionally low for young people.
I think it would be pretty fruitless to debate the hypothetical occurrence of Joe Rogan not saying something.