Joe Rogan

Shark

@NotShark
I don't want to turn this into a JP thread since we already got a few, but I've only listened to some hour long interviews and debates with JP and to be honest I dont get this whole "He's a closet Nazi" vibe. I see him as an eccentric psychologist who's managed to get too big a platform and is out of his depth when he for instance talks about marxism and well has some weird eating habits. It would be strange to me if someone like him was banned from youtube.
Same. He's weird but hardly extreme. His message to youth that they should "clean their room" "pull up their socks" ect. is also seems upper/middle class aiming in terms of audience.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Same. He's weird but hardly extreme. His message to youth that they should "clean their room" "pull up their socks" ect. is also seems upper/middle class aiming in terms of audience.
I havn't read his book(12 rules for life), but I loaned it when we had a JP hatefest thread because I was curious to see whether any this "evilness" could be detected in his best selling book. I havn't been arsed to read it though because I hate self-help books and I'm really not that interested in reading it anyway. I feel i've seen enough of his interviews and debates to get a fair picture of him.

Shark

@NotShark
You understand that hosting a talk show is exactly the point of voicing his opinion?
The idea that people are getting worked up over a MMA commentator/podcast host talking about a vaccine is bizarre. He's not a scientist, why does it matter so much what he says and doesn't say.

Tarrou

The idea that people are getting worked up over a MMA commentator/podcast host talking about a vaccine is bizarre. He's not a scientist, why does it matter so much what he says and doesn't say.
Because more people die if less people get vaccinated

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Same reason any public figure would be crucified if they said “smoke cigarettes, kids, they’re not bad for you, that’s a myth” or “driving after a few beers is perfectly safe”.

If you have a profile where a lot of people get exposed to your opinion then you have a moral responsibility not to say stupid shit that is likely to harm people’s health.

Shark

@NotShark
Same reason any public figure would be crucified if they said “smoke cigarettes, kids, they’re not bad for you, that’s a myth” or “driving after a few beers is perfectly safe”.

If you have a profile where a lot of people get exposed to your opinion then you have a moral responsibility not to say stupid shit that is likely to harm people’s health.
While I get that, assuming most people who watch him take everything he says as gospel could also be misguided. The guy talks a lot of shite regarding many different topics. It's a podcast.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
While I get that, assuming most people who watch him take everything he says as gospel could also be misguided. The guy talks a lot of shite regarding many different topics. It's a podcast.
Why does it have to be everyone? If he influences just some people, then isn't that reason enough to cause concern?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
His podcast has something like 200 million downloads every month. He doesn’t need to convince every listener that 21 year olds shouldn’t be vaccinated to cause a lot of harm.

Tarrou

I read he gets 200 million downloads a month, lets say conservatively thats 20 million unique listeners a month.. if only 10% are dumb enough to believe the anti-vax stuff that’s still 2 million people

though I expect a large portion of the dumber listeners are possibly already against the vaccine.. it still won’t help to have Rogan reinforce those beliefs

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
You might be able to just laugh at him, but plenty of people will go with his opinion. Djokovic (the tennis player) has rightly been berated for his anti-vax stance and fewer people listen to him.

The US have seen a record exodus of health department officials across the country during the pandemic. Not because it's been tough work but because the public have been threatening them and their families (sexism, racism death threats etc.). We really don't need the most listened to podcast having a lot of bad takes on a pandemic in the middle of it.

cyberman

I read he gets 200 million downloads a month, lets say conservatively thats 20 million unique listeners a month.. if only 10% are dumb enough to believe the anti-vax stuff that’s still 2 million people

though I expect a large portion of the dumber listeners are possibly already against the vaccine
People down playing misinformation or allowing nutcases an unchallenged platform just cant see what it has done to America. The GOP has even given into it and getting the correct message out there has now become impossible.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

though I expect a large portion of the dumber listeners are possibly already against the vaccine.. it still won’t help to have Rogan reinforce those beliefs
And don’t forget those two million people can each potentially influence a whole load of friends and family. Dumb takes about the virus can spread almost as easily as the virus itself.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
It’s seems to have got worse and worse over the last few years. I used to listen to the podcast a lot 10 years ago, I’m sure there’s comments from me defending him in this thread, but I can’t see me ever listening to a podcast again.

I saw he’s friends with this rapper Zuby, who Red Issue keep retweeting about Covid denial stuff too.
No he's not. They're not friends. Rogan added him on twitter because of a funny video he posted about gender pronouns/being politically correct. Rogan didn't even know who he was.

i can't remember which episode it was recently but Rogan tried to explain what the Dunning-Kruger effect was but got it completely wrong.. quite fitting
You like many other of his critics in this thread sure do seem to watch a lot of his episodes. That's the thing with his haters, they surprisingly watch a lot of his content. If he annoys you so much, maybe ignore him and stop consuming his content?

That's fair enough. I think you're a bit thick to listen to Rogan and take him as all knowing.

I definitely agree that he seems to interview people that just agree with his view.

The best bit about Rogan for me is that he moans that vegans need to take vitamins when his body is full of god knows what drugs like you say.
Yes you shouldn't take everything he says as fact. Also the bid about his body part, he's been open and honest about taking testosterone. He also had stem cell injections for his joint pain. Other than that he's been open about never trying cocaine, open about taking psychedlic drugs and promotes vitamins (which a lot his haters probably ignore). I don't see why he would lie about not taking anything else but be open about almost every other "bad" thing.

I wrote a few pages back that Spotify have committed millions to someone who’s hardware is to old to update to the modern software standards.

He seems to have created the kind of echo chamber he used to rail against. Either unwittingly, or for money. Either reason doesn’t sit well with me so I never listen.

He’s evolved into exactly what he once hated. He runs a radio show that gives airtime to idiots with something to sell. He’s just an ageing media guy who gets used to push products.
Spotify are the lucky ones. Their market cap grew over $2B because of the Rogan deal. If anything, Rogan should restructure the deal and get more money out of Spotify.

Tarrou

You like many other of his critics in this thread sure do seem to watch a lot of his episodes. That's the thing with his haters, they surprisingly watch a lot of his content. If he annoys you so much, maybe ignore him and stop consuming his content?
I'm a fan of Rogan, I love the science podcasts in particular. I actually got into it after I had a stroke five years ago and couldn't read or watch TV for about a month, and it helped me a lot with my recovery. So in a pretty bizarre way I have a soft spot for the guy.

Doesn't mean I won't criticise him if he says something really fecking stupid. Putting Alex Jones on his podcast has turned me off him more than anything else he's said or done tbh.

bsCallout

No he's not. They're not friends. Rogan added him on twitter because of a funny video he posted about gender pronouns/being politically correct. Rogan didn't even know who he was.

Yes you shouldn't take everything he says as fact. Also the bid about his body part, he's been open and honest about taking testosterone. He also had stem cell injections for his joint pain. Other than that he's been open about never trying cocaine, open about taking psychedlic drugs and promotes vitamins (which a lot his haters probably ignore). I don't see why he would lie about not taking anything else but be open about almost every other "bad" thing.

Spotify are the lucky ones. Their market cap grew over $2B because of the Rogan deal. If anything, Rogan should restructure the deal and get more money out of Spotify.
You seem bizarrely defensive.

You also didn't really refute my point at all, Rogan take all kinds of supps including steroids, he's a bit daft to then make comments about a vegan needing to take a B12 supp as a reason not to eat that way.

I also like his podcast, doesn't mean he isn't full of s**t sometimes.

Dan_F

A quick Google search shows me Rogan has had Zuby on the podcast, spoken about Zuby multiple times on the podcast since then, including when he got banned from Twitter. He also subscribed to Zuby’s podcast.

Why are you making out they don’t know each other?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Rogan sometimes has interesting guests and the long-form nature of his podcast gives them room to speak

Appreciating those aspects of those episodes doesn't mean you can't think Rogan himself is a tool, or that he's consistently the worst part of his own podcast, or that other guests he invites on are scumbags who shouldn't be promoted, or that he has repeatedly spread dangerous misinformation in the middle of a pandemic, or that he should be roundly and publicly criticised when he says something so stupid and dangerous that it prompts a response from the White House.

He's one of the (or just the?) most popular podcasters on the planet whose shows regularly become talking points and have actual influence, so the idea that people who don't like Rogan personally should feel compelled to ignore his podcasts entirely is silly.

The more vocal his cultists get in response to incidents like this though the truer those memes about Rogan being Goop for men and women asking "Are you a Joe Rogan fan?" as a way to avoid dating braindead guys seem to be.

mu4c_20le

I agree that Alex Jones is not a good look. Personally I don't find Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson "extreme". Ben is just a pretty mainstream American jewish conservative who talks shit, which is pretty mainstream.
Herein lies the problem if there are people like you who find fringe trolls like Shapiro to be mainstream. Sean Hannity is mainstream, little Ben is not. He's a glorified influencer dipping into politics for the subs.

SirAF

Ageist
I agree that Alex Jones is not a good look. Personally I don't find Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson "extreme". Ben is just a pretty mainstream American jewish conservative who talks shit, which is pretty mainstream. Anyway I don't personally object to having nutjobs on podcasts. It's a bit like if I had David Icke on a show, it doesn't actually mean I endorse his views, but there might be some who find entertaintment value in listening to nutters. I don't know if he has described someone like Alex Jones as a great guy, but I think there is just a level of professional courtesy where you don't go out of your way to insult the guests you have and have had on your show.
What

Gehrman

Herein lies the problem if there are people like you who find fringe trolls like Shapiro to be mainstream. Sean Hannity is mainstream, little Ben is not. He's a glorified influencer dipping into politics for the subs.
So okay there are people like "you/me". What about Ben isn't mainstream? What makes him not a typical american conservative? Where does he diverge from American conservatism? What of his views are radically different from what is mainstream american conservative views? What views does he hold that is radically different than what Americam conservatives held 10 or 20 years ago?

Since you managed to say people like "you", I would just like to add that in the famous interview with Andrew Neil, Ben was excatly grilled by another conservative in the role of an unbiased interviewer, for having brought nothing at all new to the table. I take it for granted that people like you will be able to tell me the difference.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

So okay there are people like "you/me". What about Ben isn't mainstream? What makes him not a typical american conservative? Where does he diverge from American conservatism? What of his views are radically different from what is mainstream american conservative views? What views does he hold that is radically different than what Americam conservatives held 10 or 20 years ago?

Since you managed to say people like "you", I would just like to add that in the famous interview with Andrew Neil, Ben was excatly grilled by another conservative in the role of an unbiased interviewer, for having brought nothing at all new to the table. I take it for granted that people like you will be able to tell me the difference.
People like you = people giving him credibility he doesn't deserve, no need to look for something that isn't there. Ben's CV basically consists of Breitbart, and the Daily Wire which he founded himself. I thought I couldn't make the point any more clear when I used Hannity as an example.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
I'm a fan of Rogan, I love the science podcasts in particular. I actually got into it after I had a stroke five years ago and couldn't read or watch TV for about a month, and it helped me a lot with my recovery. So in a pretty bizarre way I have a soft spot for the guy.

Doesn't mean I won't criticise him if he says something really fecking stupid. Putting Alex Jones on his podcast has turned me off him more than anything else he's said or done tbh.
Fair enough. He does say some ridiculous stuff but most of the stuff he says is spot on.. he's genuine. Lots of people can take what he says and apply it to themselves. I drifted out of fitness and got lazy a few years ago and he really motivated me to get back in it. On the other hand some people that are lazy and have never got into fitness probably see him as a show off and fat shamer. It's all about perspective.

You seem bizarrely defensive.

You also didn't really refute my point at all, Rogan take all kinds of supps including steroids, he's a bit daft to then make comments about a vegan needing to take a B12 supp as a reason not to eat that way.

I also like his podcast, doesn't mean he isn't full of s**t sometimes.
Just calling out folks who hate him but also watch a lot of his content. Hypocritical that's all. And I don't want to go off topic but there are things that a vegan diet lacks and would be extremely hard to get in sufficient doses without the consumption of meat.

A quick Google search shows me Rogan has had Zuby on the podcast, spoken about Zuby multiple times on the podcast since then, including when he got banned from Twitter. He also subscribed to Zuby’s podcast.

Why are you making out they don’t know each other?
Ah fair enough, I was going off this
I guess I missed this podcast, but the above clip makes it sound like he never knew who this guy was.

Gehrman

People like you = people giving him credibility he doesn't deserve, no need to look for something that isn't there. Ben's CV basically consists of Breitbart, and the Daily Wire which he founded himself. I thought I couldn't make the point any more clear when I used Hannity as an example.
So which of Ben's views are different from mainstream American conservative views? I think you confused the word mainstream and credibility here. It's not a hard question. Tell me which.

Last edited:

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Rogan also said that he was considering getting the vaccine and was also on the way to get it.. but I guess media doesn't care about that.

cyberman

Rogan also said that he was considering getting the vaccine and was also on the way to get it.. but I guess media doesn't care about that.
Nope. Telling people not to get it kind of trumps the 2 faced nature of thinking about getting it himself surely?
Keep in mind this is the man who called all mask wearers pussys.

Dan_F

I get why you’re trying to defend him, but he’s said young healthy people don’t need to get the vaccine. Whatever his actions after that, it’s kinda irrelevant as the damage is done.

It’s strange looking from the outside in, I used to have the opinion that he was just someone who was shit talking with friends. He said a lot of things that were true, and the stuff he got wrong, well it didn’t really matter as he’s a comedian. However, that then passes onto his listeners, who take 99% of the stuff he says as gospel, and start repeating this to their friends. And suddenly this thing that started as “shit talk” is being repeated with absolute confidence that they are correct.

With most topics it doesn’t really matter. With Covid? Nah I’m sorry, there’s enough bullshit conspiracy out there as it is.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
I get why you’re trying to defend him, but he’s said young healthy people don’t need to get the vaccine. Whatever his actions after that, it’s kinda irrelevant as the damage is done.

It’s strange looking from the outside in, I used to have the opinion that he was just someone who was shit talking with friends. He said a lot of things that were true, and the stuff he got wrong, well it didn’t really matter as he’s a comedian. However, that then passes onto his listeners, who take 99% of the stuff he says as gospel, and start repeating this to their friends. And suddenly this thing that started as “shit talk” is being repeated with absolute confidence that they are correct.

With most topics it doesn’t really matter. With Covid? Nah I’m sorry, there’s enough bullshit conspiracy out there as it is.
You don't get it, obviously, but you're letting everyone in here know too much about how yourself think with your silly comments like "his listeners, who take 99% of the stuff he says as gospel". One has to assume this is how you go about your own life.

Dan_F

You don't get it, obviously, but you're letting everyone in here know too much about how yourself think with your silly comments like "his listeners, who take 99% of the stuff he says as gospel". One has to assume this is how you go about your own life.
Ah. Yes you’ve got me there.

Dan_F

I guess.. unless you think very highly of yourself. Everyone being idiots except your-special-self
If they are promoting non vaccination stuff, then yeah, I’m happy to say I believe they are idiots.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

I was explaining this to a friend last night who didn't seem bothered by the fact that Rogan has had guests like Alex Jones, Gavin McInnes, Stefan Molyneux, Ben Shapiro, etc. because she thought most people wouldn't adhere to their ideas. Giving a platform of millions of people to people spread conspiracy theories, white supremacy, or anti-vaxx propaganda is toxic and very bad.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Exactly. People get so worked up about generic opinions. And it is not that it is completely wrong or racist or against the law, it's just his opinion. It is this artificial outrage at everything nowadays

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Exactly. People get so worked up about generic opinions. And it is not that it is completely wrong or racist or against the law, it's just his opinion. It is this artificial outrage at everything nowadays
Do you not see how dangerous and irresponsible it is for someone as influential as him to spout his anti-vaxx nonsense?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Hardly artificial or superficial when he reaches out to so many people on multiple platforms.

This isn’t opportunist outrage by any stretch of the imagination.