g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Joe Rogan

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Do you not see how dangerous and irresponsible it is for someone as influential as him to spout his anti-vaxx nonsense?
What is the problem though? Seriously, everyone needs to decide whether they want the vaccine or not. If someone thinks he's better off without one, then so be it. We're responsible for our own actions and need to stop policing every comment

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Hardly artificial or superficial when he reaches out to so many people on multiple platforms.

This isn’t opportunist outrage by any stretch of the imagination.
Again, what is the problem? We still have free will and if you agree with him, great. If not, then not. He's not responsible for people not getting the vaccine, they are.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What is the problem though? Seriously, everyone needs to decide whether they want the vaccine or not. If someone thinks he's better off without one, then so be it. We're responsible for our own actions and need to stop policing every comment
And they need to decide based on accurate information on the pros and cons. For the individual and society as a whole. The problem with what Rogan said - obviously - is that he’s spreading misinformation.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
You say that as if the majority of people who listen to him are intelligent people capable of critical thought. He’s got a huge **** following of bros who take what he says on face value and look to him as their source of truth.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
he's under fire again for saying young people shouldn't take the covid vaccine, the fecking dolt

he seems to have a big blind-spot when it comes to covid
How many blind spots can you have until you’re just blind?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
You say that as if the majority of people who listen to him are intelligent people capable of critical thought. He’s got a huge **** following of bros who take what he says on face value and look to him as their source of truth.
I don't believe that these people think that differently anyways so his influence is somewhat limited. They tend to agree with most of what he says anyway. I am convinced that most people are smart enough to make their own decisions - and if it is right for them not to get a vaccine, fine. IMO, there is not very often a right or wrong, and I hate when people think only their opinion is the right one and no one is allowed to think differently. The same in this whole covid debate.

What I like is to have/listen to an interesting discussion with different standpoints - whether I agree with it or not

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
And they need to decide based on accurate information on the pros and cons. For the individual and society as a whole. The problem with what Rogan said - obviously - is that he’s spreading misinformation.
And you have that information? Again, you overrate people's influence.

OleBoiii

I hate the notion that celebrities and people with a large following somehow have no responsibility for what they say, provided it's not against the law. It's such an immature take.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I don't believe that these people think that differently anyways so his influence is somewhat limited. They tend to agree with most of what he says anyway. I am convinced that most people are smart enough to make their own decisions - and if it is right for them not to get a vaccine, fine. IMO, there is not very often a right or wrong, and I hate when people think only their opinion is the right one and no one is allowed to think differently. The same in this whole covid debate.

What I like is to have/listen to an interesting discussion with different standpoints - whether I agree with it or not
Reinforcing of stupid opinions is probably more dangerous than introducing new dangerous opinions.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I hate the notion that celebrities and people with a large following somehow have no responsibility for what they say, provided it's not against the law. It's such an immature take.
And I hate that notion that nowadays everyone is criticizing everyone for voicing their opinions and make such a drama out of it. Where is your self responsibility? It's then always the other's fault, never our own

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
And you have that information? Again, you overrate people's influence.
Yes, I do. It’s not hard to get well informed on the issue. So long as you ignore what Joe Rogan has to say on it. I don’t think he’ll influence all his listeners but he speaks to tens of millions of people. If he influences just 10% of them that can cause 1000s of avoidable deaths.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
In your opinion it is stupid. What do you base that on?
It’s contrary to consensus formed by experts who have literally dedicated their entire lives to understanding the subject.

Forgive me if I listen to all of them over a meat head University drop out with a big ego, big mouth riddled with PEDs.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Again, what is the problem? We still have free will and if you agree with him, great. If not, then not. He's not responsible for people not getting the vaccine, they are.
It’s not like he is discussing how he feels an MMA fighter fights or what his take on a movie is. What he is saying has potentially acute, real life consequences. People will give credence to those with the biggest megaphones regardless the substantive value of what they are saying simply because they reach more people. Volume will be considered more important than substance.

What he is saying here is also scientifically incorrect & absolute fantasy. To think otherwise is utterly childish.

OleBoiii

And I hate that notion that nowadays everyone is criticizing everyone for voicing their opinions and make such a drama out of it.
There is a huge difference between you and I voicing our opinions and the likes of Joe Rogan. Surely you see the difference?

Where is your self responsibility? It's then always the other's fault, never our own
If someone chooses to not take the vaccine because Joe Rogan said so, then they are obviously the main "culprit" in their stupid decision. They should have done more research and listened to most doctors and scientists rather than a bald manlet with a monkey fetish.

But you can't say that Joe Rogan's hands are 100% clean either.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It’s contrary to consensus formed by experts who have literally dedicated their entire lives to understanding the subject.

Forgive me if I listen to all of them over a meat head University drop out with a big ego, big mouth riddled with PEDs.
The general consensus has often times proved wrong. I don't want to be the devil's advocate here, but the covid situation proved that very often, the so called experts have been wrong. Now my take is that most people see the benefits of the vaccine, so I don't see how Joe Rogan could change the course of the world here

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
There is a huge difference between you and I voicing our opinions and the likes of Joe Rogan. Surely you see the difference?

If someone chooses to not take the vaccine because Joe Rogan said so, then they are obviously the main "culprit" in their stupid decision. They should have done more research and listened to most doctors and scientists rather than a bald manlet with a monkey fetish.

But you can't say that Joe Rogan's hands are 100% clean either.
If anyone listens to Joe's advice on vaccine's he's an idiot. And my experience is that these people tend to have that opinion before Joe's confirming it. Or do you really think someone goes: I canceled my vaccine shot appointment because Joe said no? Come on....

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Anyway I'm in the camp that on a topic of this much importance it's okay for Joe to put his hands up and say he's completely unqualified to speak on this.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Yes, I do. It’s not hard to get well informed on the issue. So long as you ignore what Joe Rogan has to say on it. I don’t think he’ll influence all his listeners but he speaks to tens of millions of people. If he influences just 10% of them that can cause 1000s of avoidable deaths.
From where then? What makes your opinion more correct than the other? As I said, there are so many topics where there are valid arguments on both sides and some topics, there are not. But in that case, and the whole covid crisis, it showed that there is not really one right way or opinion. And that is why I don't overrate or condemn opinions that are debatable. Racism, criminal acts or clear science topics are one thing - but even in science topics the experts very often have a different interpretation. In life, not many things are 100% clear as 1+1=2.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Anyway I'm in the camp that on a topic of this much importance it's okay for Joe to put his hands up and say he's completely unqualified to speak on this.
This could be said about 99% of the population speaking on 99% on the topics. And even that 1% where we're well educated, there is room for different opinions

OleBoiii

If anyone listens to Joe's advice on vaccine's he's an idiot.
Yes. And idiots exist. Particularly among regular Joe Rogan listeners :P

Or do you really think someone goes: I canceled my vaccine shot appointment because Joe said no? Come on....
It's not that simple and you have picked the most "extreme" example here.

His podcast has 200 million listeners if I'm not mistaken. It's not inconceivable that 5-10% of them choose to not take the vaccine as a direct or indirect result of Rogan's words. Many are already on the fence or leaning more towards "no vaccine", without necessarily having made up their mind. People like Rogan legitimise their view and may in some cases be the final straw that guides their decision.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
From where then? What makes your opinion more correct than the other? As I said, there are so many topics where there are valid arguments on both sides and some topics, there are not. But in that case, and the whole covid crisis, it showed that there is not really one right way or opinion. And that is why I don't overrate or condemn opinions that are debatable. Racism, criminal acts or clear science topics are one thing - but even in science topics the experts very often have a different interpretation. In life, not many things are 100% clear as 1+1=2.
I’m a medical doctor who’s spent the last 20 years working in the pharmaceutical industry so I’d say I’m reasonably well informed when it comes to understanding the safety/efficacy of novel medicines. Certainly a lot better informed than Joe fecking Rogan!

There’s a load of issues in this pandemic that divide opinions. Even among the very well informed. Whether or not someone in their early 20s should get vaccinated isn’t controversial at all, believe me. They should. That’s as close to a black and white issue as you get in medicine.

It does get a little greyer/messier for kids. Especially primary school age. But for 21 year olds (the age discussed by Rogan) it’s an absolute no-brainer. And he doesn’t even say it’s a difficult decision. He categorically states they definitely shouldn’t get vaccinated. Which is moronic.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If people are approaching an argument between Joe Rogan and actual experts on the topic of COVID with a "well who is to say who is right?" attitude then that only highlights the problem, because Joe Rogan is a fecking moron with zero expertise in this area (or most areas) and his opinions shouldn't be given equal consideration.

That "well who are you to think your opinion (which aligns with that of expert consensus) is better than Rogan's (which directly contradicts expert consensus)?" argument speaks to an inability to critically analyse the sources of information in front of you. An inability which if shared by a chunk of Rogan's audience highlights exactly why him spouting this bullshit unchecked would be an issue.

As for Rogan's influence, if he doesn't have any then someone should tell the advertisers who make money via his influence, the advertising industry who base a large chunk of their professional infrastructure on the idea of people like Rogan having influence, the politicians who came onto Rogan's show on the basis of him having influence and the field of social science that deals with how people influence one another.

Also, this is a public health emergency. If people opt out of the vaccine it doesn't just impact them, so the "if someone decides it's not for them, so be it" argument holds no water. It's in the public's interests for people who can get vaccines to get vaccines, having been properly informed beforehand.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The general consensus has often times proved wrong. I don't want to be the devil's advocate here, but the covid situation proved that very often, the so called experts have been wrong. Now my take is that most people see the benefits of the vaccine, so I don't see how Joe Rogan could change the course of the world here
There it is.

You mean the same ones that helped develop a vaccine in record time that has the Covid levels lower than ever in vaccinated countries?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He's going for the usual "don't listen to me, I'm an idiot" explanation...

I certainly agree that nobody should listen to him about stuff like this but they do and he's not THAT dumb that he's unaware of his influence.

I also think this is the first Rogan podcast I heard since he moved to Spotify. I did enjoy a lot of them (comedy guests mostly) but not enough to be bothered about using another app.

Dan_F

He's going for the usual "don't listen to me, I'm an idiot" explanation...

I certainly agree that nobody should listen to him about stuff like this but they do and he's not THAT dumb that he's unaware of his influence.
I stopped listening at “there’s some legitimate science behind this.” INSIGHT

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I’m a medical doctor who’s spent the last 20 years working in the pharmaceutical industry so I’d say I’m reasonably well informed when it comes to understanding the safety/efficacy of novel medicines. Certainly a lot better informed than Joe fecking Rogan!

There’s a load of issues in this pandemic that divide opinions. Even among the very well informed. Whether or not someone in their early 20s should get vaccinated isn’t controversial at all, believe me. They should. That’s as close to a black and white issue as you get in medicine.

It does get a little greyer/messier for kids. Especially primary school age. But for 21 year olds (the age discussed by Rogan) it’s an absolute no-brainer. And he doesn’t even say it’s a difficult decision. He categorically states they definitely shouldn’t get vaccinated. Which is moronic.
And then there are docs who say don't do it, and they base it on evidence and science too. But again, that is not the point really - my point is that we shouldn't overrate his opinion and believe he will change millions of minds!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You believe these were the same experts?
No but just because some got a few things incorrect at the beginning with the virus was fairly unknown, doesn't mean they're suddenly 'so called experts' and I would trust an expert that got things wrong hundreds of times over the sentient lump of meat that is Joe Rogan, because they're only delivering results based on science and not what they 'think' might be the case.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
You think that if you asked the people who developed the vaccine whether young people should take the vaccine they'd say "nah, no need"?
The experts who gave advise during the pandemic are not the same experts who created the vaccine. That was my point.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
No but just because some got a few things incorrect at the beginning with the virus was fairly unknown, doesn't mean they're suddenly 'so called experts' and I would trust an expert that got things wrong hundreds of times over the sentient lump of meat that is Joe Rogan, because they're only delivering results based on science and not what they 'think' might be the case.
It's not just at the beginning, it is still controversial.
And you said it yourself: you rather believe an expert than JR - and I like to believe that 95% of the population does too, so why get so enraged by his opinion...

BTW: science is a lot about interpretation as well, with personal opinions, preferences, experiences etc. So it is just not always black and white and that is why I find good discussions with different standpoints important

Gehrman

This could be said about 99% of the population speaking on 99% on the topics. And even that 1% where we're well educated, there is room for different opinions
I think in the midst of a global pandemic this is unusual circumstances. I agree you could extend it to any topic of importance, but I'd would still say that with the US has a lot of anti-vaxers and I think it's important for someone with a platform like Joe to either stay silent or get it right.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I think in the midst of a global pandemic this is unusual circumstances. I agree you could extend it to any topic of importance, but I'd would still say that with the US has a lot of anti-vaxers and I think it's important for someone with a platform like Joe to either stay silent or get it right.
They were anti-vaccines way before JR mentioned it. So the question is, why are they? Has nothing to do with JR and if he shares that opinion, so be it. Again, who are you/we to tell him what he needs to say or when to keep quiet. I find this also rather irritating.

Gehrman

They were anti-vaccines way before JR mentioned it. So the question is, why are they? Has nothing to do with JR and if he shares that opinion, so be it. Again, who are you/we to tell him what he needs to say or when to keep quiet. I find this also rather irritating.
I'm just sharing my opinion, like Joe, but I don't have one of the largest platforms in the world. I believe the anti-vax movement gained momentum with a british doctor called Andrew Wakefield who said that vaccines caused autism. His work and views have been thouroughly debunked.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'm just sharing my opinion, like Joe, but I don't have one of the largest platforms in the world. I believe the anti-vax movement gained momentum with a british doctor called Andrew Wakefield who said that vaccines caused autism. His work and views have been thouroughly debunked.
Who bizarrely ended up dating Elle McPherson, so probably found the infamy a positive overall!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think you're underestimating how many people find him 'cool' and let him shape their opinions, whether it be subconsciously or not.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
I don't know, but think something like 1/10, 2/10 of his guests are academics of some sort, journalists perhaps, etc. In sum they cover some wide range of topics from covid to lizard people and interstellar space travel. One of these people, including Rogan who appears in every episode, will say something wrong once in a while. Probably more often than that. Most of these episodes last one to three+ hours. From time to time they also say some incredible stuff, including Rogan, believe it or not. Now, I agree, he shouldn't give advice on important stuff he has no clue about. But in conversation it will happen you give stupid opinion. Calling him a meathead, people listening to him idiots, etc, seems counterintuitive to me. If the goal is for "you", the enlightened, to save the idiots and meathead from themselves. Also, think he said in the video above on this topic no one should listen to his opinion on important stuff. So guess that's the end of this

Tarrou

Literally no one is saying he should keep quiet or not have opinions though. No one.

Just that what he said is stupid.

Ironically you seem to have taken quite a disliking to that opinion.

Last edited:

Fridge chutney

It is very dangerous for someone like Joe Rogan who has a platform of millions to cast doubt on a life-saving vaccine for a specific demographic of people, a demographic that is most likely to be influenced by what he says, in a country that already suffers from vaccine scepticism.