Joe Rogan

NotThatSoph

Was Rogan always a fecking idiot or was there a time he wasnt so bad?
Always as bad, just less openly right wing and more weed instead of alcohol. Bigfoot and moon landing vs anti-vaxx, fanboying crackpots and everyone vs conservatives and militaries, shitting on primologists vs the left, progressives and democrats. From a clown to a Rush Limbaugh treated as an independent or progressive.

atkar83

Some of his older JRE's were awesome. They barely mentioned politics, some were super informative (especially the one with that sleep doctor from the UK), and you didn't really know how Rogan leant politically. He started doing that anti SJW stuff but he still mainly had liberal takes. Since 2016 and especially during covid he's basically become full on republican, to the point he's going directly after the Rush Limbaugh crowd. I used to watch all of his podcasts, but I haven't watched a single one in a couple years at least.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
People with mental health issues exacerbated by smoking too much weed gravitate towards Joe Rogan. This as an opinion I am passing off as fact.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He was one of the first people ever to do the sort of really long form interviews you can only do on a podcast. And he used to get fairly diverse and interesting guests. So there was definitely a time when his show was well worth a listen. I think he’s always been a bit of a div but he used to be a lot better than he is now at keeping his mouth shut and letting the guest have their say.

Andersonson

Some of his older JRE's were awesome. They barely mentioned politics, some were super informative (especially the one with that sleep doctor from the UK), and you didn't really know how Rogan leant politically. He started doing that anti SJW stuff but he still mainly had liberal takes. Since 2016 and especially during covid he's basically become full on republican, to the point he's going directly after the Rush Limbaugh crowd. I used to watch all of his podcasts, but I haven't watched a single one in a couple years at least.
I've listened to 4 or 5 episodes of him. All are from 2017 till now. And in every episode he has called Trump an idiot and he has seemed very liberal and not very conservative in his views. I was shocked because I thought he was a full blown Trumpist, but from what i've heard that isnt the case.

He surely is a weirdo with some very weird takes, but not a clear republican in my eyes

nimic

something nice
Scout
I've listened to 4 or 5 episodes of him. All are from 2017 till now. And in every episode he has called Trump an idiot and he has seemed very liberal and not very conservative in his views. I was shocked because I thought he was a full blown Trumpist, but from what i've heard that isnt the case.

He surely is a weirdo with some very weird takes, but not a clear republican in my eyes
There's a video out there of him basically cheering when Texas goes for Trump in 2020. He definitely hasn't gotten any less anti-woke/anti-PC since then.

NotThatSoph

There's a video out there of him basically cheering when Texas goes for Trump in 2020. He definitely hasn't gotten any less anti-woke/anti-PC since then.
He has also said that if Texas goes from red to blue it will be destroyed.

Kopral Jono

On issue-per-issue basis you're right that Rogan has way more liberal views that he does conservative, but he does have a libertarian bent that can't be shaken off easily, a trait shared by many Republicans. His views on guns, for instance, are diabolical and have always been so. This is one of the reasons why he's often labeled as right-leaning.

I still listen to him occasionally, though, despite him failing to keep his promise on bringing in more left-leaning people to his show instead of the usual anti-woke grifters he seems to absolutely adore.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
He was one of the first people ever to do the sort of really long form interviews you can only do on a podcast. And he used to get fairly diverse and interesting guests. So there was definitely a time when his show was well worth a listen. I think he’s always been a bit of a div but he used to be a lot better than he is now at keeping his mouth shut and letting the guest have their say.
See that's my recollection too. Since Trump got elected he went full wacko

MarylandMUFan

I am not sure Joe changed. I think that pre-trump/pre-covid, his ideas and many of his guest ideas were fairly fringe and non-threatening. Now that the stakes are much higher, and those fringe views are mainstream, it now becomes a much bigger problem.

Kopral Jono

See that's my recollection too. Since Trump got elected he went full wacko
His podcasts with fellow comedians are still pretty decent. He knows what he's talking about and has good chemistry with them. It's definitely got a lot less diverse, though. I swear he's been having the same set of grifting anti-woke types coming on his show every other month or so ever since Covid happened.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I am not sure Joe changed. I think that pre-trump/pre-covid, his ideas and many of his guest ideas were fairly fringe and non-threatening. Now that the stakes are much higher, and those fringe views are mainstream, it now becomes a much bigger problem.
I don't think he's changed, per se, but the podcast definitely has. I haven't listened to it in about 4/5 years, maybe. But when I did listen to it now and then, he genuinely did have some interesting guests on and it was a good listen. But the key thing here is, is that the show was never about him. The draw of it (at least for me and I think many others) was the guests. Now it seems like the complete opposite. The show is now very much about him and his views, and now you realize that "oh yeah, this guy is a bit of a dick head". Now maybe he always has been, but because I never really cared about what he thought and, generally speaking, he never used to make it too much about what he thought, it never bothered me.

I just drifted away from the show before he really went off the deep end.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I think his comedy is quite jarringly bad. What he says about his writing technique, writing while high, writing after exercise, after a few drinks, obsessing over every word and line etc., you'd think he's a deep thinker, a philosopher.

Then you see his comedy. It's hard to equate what you see back to the way he talks about it. He just screams, it's all so predictable. Like frat boy humour. His comedy friends mostly seem like terrible chaps as well. The kind of people who think they're the funniest when really they're just the loudest.

So I don't listen to the comedy ones anymore. Or the ones that get political. I don't think his opinions are dangerous or egregious or anything. Just very boring now. We get it bro you don't like LA anymore.

I liked when he had random ones like fungi experts, sleep experts, journos based in Mexico. So good. And he's so good at those long-form talks about niche stuff.

But they were so few and far between that I don't even look for them anymore.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
His podcasts with fellow comedians are still pretty decent. He knows what he's talking about and has good chemistry with them. It's definitely got a lot less diverse, though. I swear he's been having the same set of grifting anti-woke types coming on his show every other month or so ever since Covid happened.
last time I watched Bill Burr tore him apart over his covid nonsense

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
His stand up is pretty terrible yeah. He’s done some really good podcasts though, I remember crying laughing at the Artie Lange episode despite having never heard of him previously.

ExoduS

How is my bro Joe Rogs doing these days? Crazy purple haired gang still trying to cancel him?

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I remember crying laughing at the Artie Lange episode despite having never heard of him previously.
I'm a huge Howard Stern nerd/ fan and the Artie Lange era has some of the best moments in Stern show history.

It's really sad how it all turned out.

NotThatSoph

On a lighter note than the usual Rogan discussions on here lately, apparently in his latest podcast he complemented Marcus Aurelius for writing in a way that still feels modern. He said that reading a modern English translation, while good old Marcus wrote in ancient Greek 1 850 years ago.

That's comedy.

cyberman

Literally told everybody angry with abortion laws to suck it up and go back to work. Suddenly politics has left his discussion points..
At least this travesty will expose The far right bad actors. If they basically ignore this and still go big on the “Isn’t it funny how democrats..” then you know what they are.

Bobski

He used to bring on a selection of really interesting guests and give them, which at the time was quite rare, a large amount of freedom to ramble on about interesting topics. Changing it up to be more his guests listening to him ramble on is the key change, and Rogan is not smart or interesting enough to make that work. His politics are a mish-mash of hot takes and surface level thought processes, but I think the claims that he is some sort of right wing loon are hyperbolic hysteria.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He used to bring on a selection of really interesting guests and give them, which at the time was quite rare, a large amount of freedom to ramble on about interesting topics. Changing it up to be more his guests listening to him ramble on is the key change, and Rogan is not smart or interesting enough to make that work. His politics are a mish-mash of hot takes and surface level thought processes, but I think the claims that he is some sort of right wing loon are hyperbolic hysteria.
He’s just a daft cnut. People generally call him that. Not a loon.