John Stones | Performances

Creepy

Account relocated to MaxiPaxi
Yep. I've nothing against Stones but if David Luiz does the same thing later today, the "experts" will be chuckling and calling him shite.
That's true and David Luiz is twice the footballer Stones is!

LouisDanGaal

What was Kompany's plan there? he takes half the blame for that. I get some players might not like getting forced to play for the back so can be uncomfortable but its Stones' main selling point, it is why they went for him and I have never understood it, he gets himself in to pressured situations with scary regularity, so often he is one bad touch or pass from letting them in yet he never just hoofs it.

LouisDanGaal

Yep. I've nothing against Stones but if David Luiz does the same thing later today, the "experts" will be chuckling and calling him shite.
luiz has less mistakes in his game and he can pull out genuinely exceptional passes which stones can't.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
It was a great pass. Not easy to play it through at the perfect pace, so neither Kompany nor Bravo could get it. :lol:

Shit happens. It´s the same, when people laugh at Messi putting Boateng on his arse. I take Boateng owning Messi in the biggest match on the planet over one silly step over. It´s the same with the goalies that have occasional blunders due to their high-line or footballing exploits. Nobody measures the impact of hoofing the ball every time, immediately losing possession and inviting endless pressure that way. There is a reason coaches live with these errors now and then.

MDFC Manager

David Luiz is a good defender with a loony streak. Stones is a shit defender.

Zoo

Press do him no favours. Comparisons with Bobby Moore, it's Stones plus one for England, he should be captain. It's very similar to the overhyping of Joe Hart a few years ago.

Creepy

Account relocated to MaxiPaxi
luiz has less mistakes in his game and he can pull out genuinely exceptional passes which stones can't.

But Luiz' positional awareness is non existent, in fact he's tactically challenged. But yeah, he's an exceptional footballer as in he's very good with football at his feet.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Mourinho wanted him badly last summer. Pep wanted him badly this summer. What the feck do managers see in him? He can pick a pass but that's it. He is ridiculously bad.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Mourinho wanted him badly last summer. Pep wanted him badly this summer. What the feck do managers see in him? He can pick a pass but that's it. He is ridiculously bad.
So far that seems to benefit City's opponents.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Press do him no favours. Comparisons with Bobby Moore, it's Stones plus one for England, he should be captain. It's very similar to the overhyping of Joe Hart a few years ago.
Moore was majestic. Stones might get there, but it is far too early for them making that sort of comparison.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
The fact Mourinho decided against going after him for United suggests he's not a fan after last season. I believe City were after Laporte at that point as well

MDFC Manager

Chelsea wanted him badly, not too sure if that equates to Mourinho wanting him badly. You never know though.

Needham

Seriously, how did the legend of him being some kind of new Beckenbauer start? Who bigged him up so relentlessly?

luke511

Seriously, how did the legend of him being some kind of new Beckenbauer start? Who bigged him up so relentlessly?
It all started when he scored that chip penny in a friendly vs Juventus in his first season for Everton, good first impression's last!

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
In his first season he looked great to be fair. He came into the team at the back end of the season and we went on to win like 9 games on the run in the league.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Hes a victim of Peps Keep-Possession-at-all-costs. Same with Bravo. Hes not a bad defender. Not top class either. But Peps style is leading to all these unforced errors.

MDFC Manager

Hes a victim of Peps Keep-Possession-at-all-costs. Same with Bravo. Hes not a bad defender. Not top class either. But Peps style is leading to all these unforced errors.
Funny, because the narrative was that he is the ideal man for Pep's magical possession system, which would turn him into an even better player.