Jose Mourinho expected to have Man Utd contract renewal talks in November

Bestietom

Hope he is offered a very long contract...He is the best manager around now..

If he is signed up for another 5/6 years, added to his contract which expires in 2019, we will need another cabinet...

Mourinho is a winner and breathes this into his players....

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
So because I don't rate Jose as the best manager in the world my opinion on him is hostile ? And because I don't agree with your argumentation my tone is hostile ?

Which facts am I dismissing exactly ? Because to me it seems like most on here are dismissing the fact he finished 10th and 6th in the PL in the last 2 years and are somehow holding the feat of winning the EL in higher regard as a historic back-to-back win of the CL. Also people seem to take it as gospel that Mourinho will be here for the next 10 years whilst in his entire career has been no longer than 3 years at any club. I got a feeling if discussing Mourinho on the caf it seldom is on the basis of "facts". The thing here is simple, you have to love Mourinho and if you don't you are crucified unless he starts dropping points 3 games in a row and public opinion changes 180 degrees. Couple of months ago there were threads with many discussing if he should be sacked or not and what the minimum achievement should be for him to keep his job, he has achieved that minimum and he has rightly kept his job but now after winning 3 games in a row he is suddenly the best manager in the world again and he will be here for 10 years and if you try to moderate that sentiment somewhat you are considered to be a hostile anti mourinho bitter fan. At times this place is outright weird.
> No it's not that. It's rather apparent just after a few interactions you have a bias against José which comes in the way when trying to be rational.

> Again 6th place no. We virtually dropped out of the EPL by resting players with all sorts of injuries and a jam packed schedule for the Europa League, not a hard concept to grasp really. It was the greater good - losing the battle but winning the war sort to speak - and just off of you judging José on what place we finished in the EPL while knowing all of this again shows your bias as you're trying to make something out of nothing.

> No one is holding EL in higher regards to b2b CLs so not sure what you're trying to get at there. But I'll tell you one thing, if it was José who managed RM to back to back CLs, guarantee you and others wouldn't be giving him the same recognition Zidane is getting and would say 'well look at the squad he has to work with, anyone could have done it'. Weird how that works huh.

> José chose to leave the clubs he was at with the exception being the 2nd time he rejoined Chelsea and was sacked. Every other time he's left at his own terms. Why? He had ambitions and wanted to test himself/prove himself in various leagues. Read his The Times interview if you haven't, he explains that misconception that he's not a long term manager rather thoroughly. Despite his short tenures, he at least leaves the club in a long term position to be successful even without him and it's true for every team he's left. Btw he says he's pretty much done what he's wanted to and actually wants to remain at a United for a long time as he feels comfortable at the right place this point of his career. You say he hasn't stayed longer than 3 years at a single club? I'll spin it the other way and say that's all the time he needs to be successful with that club, goes to show his efficiency more than anything.

> those people look pretty foolish now wouldn't you say? Knee jerk reactions much Jesus. And what do you mean "again"? He's always been the best since SAF retired. And the last sentence, no one is saying he'll be here 10 years or it's a given. All we're (at least me) saying is he's earned his extension which is pretty straight forward considering the work he's done and how the culture has begun to change (again, the pull he has to attract such players alone being a huge bonus and without doubt no other manager would be able to do the job he's done in 1 year so far).

...and again want to reiterate what I said at the end of my last response, how foolish is it you want a man of José's stature and pedigree to win the EPL for him to earn his extension. We are rebuilding and should be fortunate enough to even be in the race first of all. Secondly, so are you saying if we give him an extension early all of a sudden Mourinho won't try as hard? Because that's what you're saying. JM isn't no slouch. He's a legend and will do what he does regardless of extension but it sure would be a nice gesture to put paper to pen letting him know that the club believes in him.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Not yet he hasn't. We finished 6th last year and won a couple of minor cups. We had finished higher in the league under LVG and won a cup too. Hardly the 'from gutters to the top' story you're almost describing there.

He achieved his target of getting us to the CL, which is very good. But this season he has to make a challenge for the league and reach the CL quarter finals before I say we're a genuinely competitive team.

When he does that I'd gladly hand him an extension but he hasn't done yet so let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Have to agree with this. We have improved, but not by a massive amount so far. Let's see how this season goes when the going gets tough.

Wonder what this thread would have looked like if we had drawn our opening games. It's easy to believe in the manager when you have a GD of 10-0 after playing poor opponents.

(I do have faith though)

babyelephant

He is Jose Mourinho. Him alone is a big magnet pulling top players to join his club. Pogba came back when we were not in the CL last season. Lukaku snubbed chelsea for him. Zlatan willing to go to war for him. Peter Chech likes him more than Wenger :lol:

So yes. Let him stays as long as he wants at the club. Just get the trophy cabinet bigger and wider :D:D

The red panther

princess transfer emo
> No it's not that. It's rather apparent just after a few interactions you have a bias against José which comes in the way when trying to be rational.

> Again 6th place no. We virtually dropped out of the EPL by resting players with all sorts of injuries and a jam packed schedule for the Europa League, not a hard concept to grasp really. It was the greater good - losing the battle but winning the war sort to speak - and just off of you judging José on what place we finished in the EPL while knowing all of this again shows your bias as you're trying to make something out of nothing.

> No one is holding EL in higher regards to b2b CLs so not sure what you're trying to get at there. But I'll tell you one thing, if it was José who managed RM to back to back CLs, guarantee you and others wouldn't be giving him the same recognition Zidane is getting and would say 'well look at the squad he has to work with, anyone could have done it'. Weird how that works huh.

> José chose to leave the clubs he was at with the exception being the 2nd time he rejoined Chelsea and was sacked. Every other time he's left at his own terms. Why? He had ambitions and wanted to test himself/prove himself in various leagues. Read his The Times interview if you haven't, he explains that misconception that he's not a long term manager rather thoroughly. Despite his short tenures, he at least leaves the club in a long term position to be successful even without him and it's true for every team he's left. Btw he says he's pretty much done what he's wanted to and actually wants to remain at a United for a long time as he feels comfortable at the right place this point of his career. You say he hasn't stayed longer than 3 years at a single club? I'll spin it the other way and say that's all the time he needs to be successful with that club, goes to show his efficiency more than anything.

> those people look pretty foolish now wouldn't you say? Knee jerk reactions much Jesus. And what do you mean "again"? He's always been the best since SAF retired. And the last sentence, no one is saying he'll be here 10 years or it's a given. All we're (at least me) saying is he's earned his extension which is pretty straight forward considering the work he's done and how the culture has begun to change (again, the pull he has to attract such players alone being a huge bonus and without doubt no other manager would be able to do the job he's done in 1 year so far).

...and again want to reiterate what I said at the end of my last response, how foolish is it you want a man of José's stature and pedigree to win the EPL for him to earn his extension. We are rebuilding and should be fortunate enough to even be in the race first of all. Secondly, so are you saying if we give him an extension early all of a sudden Mourinho won't try as hard? Because that's what you're saying. JM isn't no slouch. He's a legend and will do what he does regardless of extension but it sure would be a nice gesture to put paper to pen letting him know that the club believes in him.
  • I have no bias against Mourinho, I'am just not a fanboy of him with red tinted glasses on.
  • 6th is 6th no matter what spin you are giving it, the rest are excuses. We also didn't drop out of top 4 at end of season, we just never really got into it all season long because we kept giving away points left and right even before all the injurries and tired players.
  • The biggest criticism about Jose has always been that he doesn't leave the club in a better state than he found it, Inter falling apart to pieces after him leaving is the best example of that. He is seen as a man that should be able to be successful in short term but he has never build something long term at any club in his entire career. He might at United but to just assume that he will is a bit naieve, imo.
  • I don't think those people look foolish at all because I believe there are minimum expectations of any United manager and Jose is no exception. He managed to pull off CL by winning the EL but he messed up the league so doubts about him were justified all season long and imo by just winning the EL by beating Ajax, Celta and Anderlecht and barely making it doesn't erase those doubts at all. The start of the season has been promising but we also won our first 3 games last season so it is much too early to start celebrating and it is also much too early to already reward him for things he hasn't achieved yet. He has everything left to prove here at United and until he does, doubts are justified. He has certainly convinced me that he is a much beter fit for us than LVG and Moyes, now he needs to take the next step and convince me he can take United back to the top of the PL and europe. I don't think it is foolish to have reservations until he does that, in fact I think it is foolish to just blindly believe that he will because he managed to do so at other clubs and his name is Mourinho and just ignore the fact he is still the coach of a team that finished 6th last year (and 10th the year before).
But if you want to call me bitter and hostile and biased for having that view and opinion than there is not much I can change about that.

Member 5225

• I have no bias against Mourinho, I'am just not a fanboy of him with red tinted glasses on.
  • 6th is 6th no matter what spin you are giving it, the rest are excuses. We also didn't drop out of top 4 at end of season, we just never really got into it all season long because we kept giving away points left and right even before all the injurries and tired players.
  • The biggest criticism about Jose has always been that he doesn't leave the club in a better state than he found it, Inter falling apart to pieces after him leaving is the best example of that. He is seen as a man that should be able to be successful in short term but he has never build something long term at any club in his entire career. He might at United but to just assume that he will is a bit naieve, imo.
  • I don't think those people look foolish at all because I believe there are minimum expectations of any United manager and Jose is no exception. He managed to pull off CL by winning the EL but he messed up the league so doubts about him were justified all season long and imo by just winning the EL by beating Ajax, Celta and Anderlecht and barely making it doesn't erase those doubts at all. The start of the season has been promising but we also won our first 3 games last season so it is much too early to start celebrating and it is also much too early to already reward him for things he hasn't achieved yet. He has everything left to prove here at United and until he does, doubts are justified. He has certainly convinced me that he is a much beter fit for us than LVG and Moyes, now he needs to take the next step and convince me he can take United back to the top of the PL and europe. I don't think it is foolish to have reservations until he does that, in fact I think it is foolish to just blindly believe that he will because he managed to do so at other clubs and his name is Mourinho and just ignore the fact he is still the coach of a team that finished 6th last year (and 10th the year before).
But if you want to call me bitter and hostile and biased for having that view and opinion than there is not much I can change about that.
Chelsea (twice) and Real Madrid though.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Van Gaal's reign went tits up when news of that contract extension came out.:nervous:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Well I can't compare so I can't say, I just think Zidane has done great work at Madrid and I'am very impressed and he could go on to have a big managerial career and possibly turn out beter than Mourinho but it is too early to tell now.

Mourinho was also coach of Real, Zidane did a beter job in that function than Mourinho did, the players they had were very comparable aswell.
You can't compare because there isn't a comparison to make. Jose has been winning leagues, cups and champions leagues for 15 years with teams made up of a fraction of the quality Zidane currently has at his disposal.

Yes he could go on to have a good career. There's no could required when speaking of Jose. And there's absolutely nothing to suggest he won't continue hoarding trophies for years to come, the signs are certainly promising with United.

But the opposition isn't. Barca are an absolute mess. Mourinho competed with them at the height of their powers and still managed to win a league title.

Handsome Devil

Jose is marmite and sure he has detractors on here but they are not just as vocal this season. There is no need to name and shame because everyone is entitled to their opinion and they probably aren't ashamed anyway.
I think most people feel Jose has a deeper connection with the club than was ever evident with the last two clowns, he just seems more of a fit, and it's like everything he did previously was just leading up to this.
He won me over with his reaction after the slippy Steve game and I knew the board would eventually smell the coffee.

Reactions: langster

Pavl3n

Here's a little comparison between Mourinho, Ancelotti, Guardiola, Zidane, Conte, Simeone and Klopp.
I have missed some of Simeone's years as they have been in Argentina and I find it confusing what is Liga Inicial and Liga Final, so I've only included his Atletico years.
The rest that I've missed are years they've managed in the 2nd division or the European campaigns, where they can't qualify for GS (group stage) at least.

And I also haven't included Ancelotti's years prior 02-03. His stats before those years are:
96-97 2nd
97-98 6th
98-99 6th
99-00 2nd
00-01 2nd
01-02 4th
And his more notable European finish is Semi-final with Juventus during 98-99 season.
With regards nat cup is 97-98 semi final with Parma.

Now I know this isn't an accurate answer with regards the OP, but I wanted to give some stats comparing him to other top managers.

My only concern is that Mourinho might have a downfall like the ones he had at Chelsea or Real, which could get him the sack. However I believe he has the perfect platform to extend his average stay. I don't believe we are a club that will sack him after a year without a trophy, but a top 3-4 finish and a fair run in Europe.

Both times he's left after great seasons is when he went to a much bigger club/project - Porto -> Chelsea and Inter -> Real.
To me, there are very few clubs that would seem more appealing to him than his current job - PSG, Juve and Bayern.
I was on the fence when he got the job, mainly because of his so called pragmatic style, but I believe with enough time/transfer windows he could build a team (like we've seen with Chelsea's first stint and Real Madrid) that could have attacking and exciting approach. Personally I would like him to stay longer and try to get us on par in Europe with other big teams. I hope if he stays for 4-5 years more we could add 2 or may be 3 more CL titles to the trophy.

Last edited:

Moonwalker

You can't compare because there isn't a comparison to make. Jose has been winning leagues, cups and champions leagues for 15 years with teams made up of a fraction of the quality Zidane currently has at his disposal.

Yes he could go on to have a good career. There's no could required when speaking of Jose. And there's absolutely nothing to suggest he won't continue hoarding trophies for years to come, the signs are certainly promising with United.

But the opposition isn't. Barca are an absolute mess. Mourinho competed with them at the height of their powers and still managed to win a league title.
You could just as easily have said "came up short 2 times out of 3".

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I have nothing against Jose signing an extension but back those who are only cautiously optimistic as a result. Jose still has a great deal to do to get us back where we want to be.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I can see him being snapped away by PSG next season, for some reason.
This would make sense.
They are clearly assembling a team to dominate World football, so Jose would be a logical choice, should he be available and willing to join.
It'll be an attraction proposition for Jose, as PSG are already a team regularly getting to the quarter finals of the CL and now with Neymar and Mbappe, Jose could get them the CL and also win some French titles (which he has not won before).

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I have nothing against Jose signing an extension but back those who are only cautiously optimistic as a result. Jose still has a great deal to do to get us back where we want to be.
Indeed. I'm a huge backer of Jose. I want him to remain with us until he retires, but a 6th place finish in the league just isn't good enough. Jose (by his own standards), needs to win the league title with us.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Indeed. I'm a huge backer of Jose. I want him to remain with us until he retires, but a 6th place finish in the league just isn't good enough. Jose (by his own standards), needs to win the league title with us.
Yes, and by our standards too. Regardless of where you stand on Jose at United now isn't the time for judgement. Whether you think he's done well up to now or not we can all agree we need more in future (as you say at least one league title) for his to be classed a successful tenure.

MadMike

He's the first ever United manager to win a trophy in his first season, and you can make that 3 of them.

With a overly bizarre injury riddled squad and not so ideal player situations (Rooney etc), he definitely made the most out of what he had to work with and imo exceeded expectations.

We didn't "finish" 6th btw. José elected not to prioritize the league and took the route of Europa League instead to make CL. 2 very different things. And gutters to top not in terms of standings obviously but in terms of identity and reviving the stinking old place, giving a foundation to work with which is more than anyone did post Sir Alex and clearly was a huge task if it took this long to get done. And again he did it in 1 season, virtually doing a complete 180 with the club atmosphere and future for the better.

...and we're still a club in transition. Remember, this was a rebuild which has remarkably been sped up due to José's geniusness. Honestly speaking we shouldn't be in the position we are right now with the team. José is the reason why Pogba chose United over RM/Barca/Juve and that itself is a huge plus; having a manager with the pull he does to attract such players. Just look at the things ADM said and how no big target wanted to come anywhere close to United. José is a players coach and it's great having a bench boss who the players genuinely want to play and will give it their all for. CL has already been achieved from last year so this year I think it's safe to say top3 in EPL is his target. You can only do so much in the CL with a transitioning squad so I'd say just making it out of group stage is enough and what happens after that is just a bonus. The team isn't a finished product yet so yea. And José isn't some rookie manager who has to be monitored year by year. Already saw what he's done and is capable of. I'm sure the club isn't worried one bit in that sense and Mourinho said himself he's at a stage in his career where contract or no contract doesn't matter or really effect him as he's going to do what he's going to do regardless.
I like Mourinho too but pull your tongue out of his arse mate, it's a bit nauseating. You are just fanboy-ing and getting carried away by a good start to the season which is only 3 games in.

1) Yes we did really finish 6th. The fact he gave up on the league in the last 3-4 games doesn't mean we'd finish better or above 5th which is where we were at the point. Still a rubbish position and not an improvement on LVG.
2) We played unimaginative football most of the times and we had the worst attack of anyone in the top 7... and Bournemouth.
3) Mourinho rightfully came under criticism even by his fans in here for making negative substitutions in games with marginal leads and then paying for it. For not rotating early in the season and then when his players started getting injured or fatigued for publicly criticising them for not playing injured.
4) We scraped through the Europa League having avoided all big names and being threatened and outplayed at times by the European juggernauts Celta and Anderlecht. We barely survived against the former thanks to Guidetti miss-kicking a simple tap-in from the 6 yard box in the 93rd minute. Through luck basically, after we had surrendered all momentum by making negative substitutions to protect a slender lead at home again. Not through some genius management.

What Mourinho has done right so far is mostly the transfers. He got rid of dead wood and brought in players that look to be of the required level. He's taking us in the right direction. He's worked methodically at identifying weaknesses and improving us but he's also shown faults and he's not exactly done miracles. Ferguson won league titles with worse squads.

This season is his big test. He's brought 7 players in now and spent £300m~. This squad is now his. He needs to be top 3 and challenge for the league or all this talk of managerial genius will sound as ridiculous as those RAWK posts about Rafa in 2009.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
This would make sense.
They are clearly assembling a team to dominate World football, so Jose would be a logical choice, should he be available and willing to join.
It'll be an attraction proposition for Jose, as PSG are already a team regularly getting to the quarter finals of the CL and now with Neymar and Mbappe, Jose could get them the CL and also win some French titles (which he has not won before).
Yep. It's more realistic than most people think and United board should not get careless with his contract. Emery is not a bad coach but not sure he is the right man to make a superstars group of players into a formidable team and get them to a level above all else for a few years. José could do that and his ego might be tempted once things get boring with United.

Handsome Devil

This would make sense.
Nooooooooooo, he would have absolutely no interest in going to a plastic lottery winning team.......oh wait.

Ubermensch

Bloody hell, mourinho's made the cafe as optimistic as I've seen it. Sign him up.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Something tells me no

:lol:
I'm still pretty unconvinced. However, if things are still going in the right direction come November that seems a sensible enough time to be looking at an extension.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I said that I think Jose will be at United for the long haul when he first joined us.

There were a lot of people worried that he would stay here for 3 years and then leave the club in a mess (it was already a mess when he took over!).

Happy to have him as our manager.

el3mel

Well look, I really love Zidane success but Lets be honest counting CL wins only doesn't mean anything because in this case Zidane won as many CLs in 2 years as SAF did in 27 years so that means he's better than SAF now ? Come on! Not to mention a useless manager as Di Matteo has won the CL as well while all the other big managers Chelsea got has failed to achieve this. That doesn't mean anything while comparing managers

The Madrid Mourinho got wasn't the dominant force Zidane has ATM. The Madrid side was behind Barca in everything, who were the dominant force in Europe and humiliated every team including us, while the Madrid side hasn't won the league since 2008 and has been out of round of 16 for 6th successive years. They have been spending a lot on players like Chris, Kaka and Benzema and the failure was the same. In the same season they signed Ronaldo, Kaka and Karim they were eliminated by Lyon from the round of 16, as I remember lost 1-0 in France and 1-1 draw in Madrid. Yes that was the Madrid side Mourinho got. It's nothing to be compared to the Madrid side Zidane got who just won CL about 6 months before he got the helm. That was a dominant team waiting for a good manager to unleash its powers. Mourinho got a team spending a lot with failure everywhere in every competition

Regarding the circumstances he got the job in, I consider Mourinho a massive success at Madrid as well. He grabbed the first league for Madrid since 2008, winning it from the best team in the last decade, a team who humiliated every team in the modern football. He restored Madrid to competing for CL again, reaching semi-final 3 times in a raw by the same team who was eliminated from the 16th round the previous 6 years. Using him not winning CL with them as a failure is strange IMO. The first semi-final he was eliminated by Barca, again the best team in the last decade, the second time by strange penalty shootout in which the likes of Ronaldo and Ramos missed, and the third time everyone remembers the 4-1 definitely but no one remembers they won the 2nd leg by 2-0 and was one goal away from advancing, with Ozil and Higuain missing strange loads of chances early in this game ? Luck and draw has been an integral part of winning CL. Even for us IMO the 2010 deserved to reach the final more than the 2011 team, but in 2010 we got struck by Bayern while in 2011 we faced Marsellie, Chelsea and Schalke in our way to the final.

The Madrid period for Mourinho is a success for me except the fallout in the last part of the 3rd season ( because I remember at a part in this season he defeated Barca twice and us in one week! ) and the fallout was due to his problems with Iker which he learned from while dealing with Rooney last season. Mourinho restored Madrid to what it was, a team winning the league by a record goal scoring, outscoring the most dominant team ever and making Madrid challenging for CL again, comparing to the failure they were getting before they got him.

Mourinho is doing exactly the same with us gradually, restoring us to what we were step by step.

Inter Yer Nan

He's the right man for the club simple. He has always "got" Manchester United and has more passion for the game in England than just about every other elite level manager. Also, he's talked about a long term project. In the past only at his second spell at Chelsea did he ever do that. He always had his eyes on another move whereas now you can tell by his words that is no longer the case. He seems to have found his ideal club at just the right time we have found our ideal manager. I said it when he signed but I genuinely see a minimum reign of 6-7 seasons with Jose at the helm.

lewwoo

Zidane has a better resume, been head coach for 2 years and won 7 trophies including 2 CL trophies and La Liga. Pep his resume is certainly not less than Mourinho's. Ancelotti his resume is also not less than Mourinho's, he has coached in 5 different leagues, won the league title in every competition (usually in his first year) and he has won 3 CL titles. Simeone has won alot less trophies but he has been very good with Atlético always competiing with Real/barca for the league (also won it) and has been involved in the CL semi final and finals in the last years (imo very impressive feat). Conté has been very impressive since he stepped up to top football at Juve, won 3 league titles with them and rejuvenated a sleeping giant, and now he came to Chelsea he won the league in his first year aswell. Mourinho is a great trainer and his palmares certainly fits in with the above mentioned trainers but to outright say he is the world best (at this moment) is not justified imo.

I first need to see him winning the PL with us and competing for the CL final again before I start calling him the world's best. In fact I'am still on the fence for seeing if he is a good trainer for United at all because you know I expect more than 6th place from us and winning the EL is a nice geat but clubs like Sevilla can do that aswell with alot lesser players so I'am not counting that as a major glory for him. Mourinho has got alot to proof and he better delivers this year and you certainly can't label him as the best until he delivers, all else is very premature.
There is no conceivable mental gymnastics you could go through to conclude Zidane has a better resume than Jose unless you only count the last couple years which would be pointless. Let's see how many different clubs Zidane has been successful at and won trophies with in 15 years then make a comparison. Maybe he will take a Porto or Inter Milan to champions league glory and will be comparable to mourinho.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I said that I think Jose will be at United for the long haul when he first joined us.

There were a lot of people worried that he would stay here for 3 years and then leave the club in a mess (it was already a mess when he took over!).

Happy to have him as our manager.
Even if we end up in 8th place with no trophies and Mourinho gets sacked in his 3rd year, we will have a team capable of winning big trophies with another top manager.

Mourinho has already gotten us 2 trophies and will guarantee trophies after he has gone because he has created a team full of young talented players. De Gea, Lindeloff, Bailly, Pogba, Lukaku, Martial, Rashford are all yet to reach their prime. We can easily get 5 years from all of these players (some even more) until they start to decline.

If we win the league this season I can see this team winning the CL as well, if these players get a taste of winning the PL I think they will step up a level.

Wilt

Hope he signs for at least 5 years, although I reckon Utd will have to fend off interest from PSG in the future.

Gonçalo Motta

Porto
- 3 League
- 1 UEFA Cup
- 1 Champions League

Chelsea
- 3 Premier League

Inter
- 2 Series A
- 1 Champions League

Real Madrid
- 1 La Liga

Manchester United
- 1 Europe League

(Not counting domestic cup titles but the total is 26 trophies in 15y since taking over Porto)

Pretty sure there isn't 1 single active manager with the same CV as him. He has his flaws but it's undeniable he is the perfect manager to lead this club back to the glory days and he will go down as one of the best managers of all time.
Glad we have him and glad we will secure him for awhile more.

stepic

Zidane has a better resume, been head coach for 2 years and won 7 trophies including 2 CL trophies and La Liga.
i don't disagree with a lot of what you've been saying, but you lost a lot of the crowd with this opener. Zidane in no way has a better resume. come on. as others have pointed out, this Madrid team just doesn't have the same competition from Barca and most other major teams at the moment. that isn't to take anything away from Zidane though, he's clearly class. but you can't compare the current scenario he is in to the one Jose was dealing with when at Madrid. and yeah, winning in multiple countries with various teams also makes a better resume.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
What Mourinho has done right so far is mostly the transfers. He got rid of dead wood and brought in players that look to be of the required level. He's taking us in the right direction. He's worked methodically at identifying weaknesses and improving us but he's also shown faults and he's not exactly done miracles. Ferguson won league titles with worse squads.

This season is his big test. He's brought 7 players in now and spent £300m~. This squad is now his. He needs to be top 3 and challenge for the league or all this talk of managerial genius will sound as ridiculous as those RAWK posts about Rafa in 2009.
Precisely this but it's what you keep overlooking. This is the most important part, the culture change and transition / new core being rounded out. To have expected better in standings last year all things considered just goes to show how naive you are. Was never about that and like you said is the transfers, moving out dead weight, and improving weaknesses. Yes he's shown faults but who doesn't? Doesn't mean you crucify the guy and not give him the benefit of the doubt having the pedigree and track record he does and being the best manager in the world. You're acting like he's some rookie who needs baby sitting year to year lol. And don't ever compare anyone to SAF lol he was in a league of his own.

And yes we are challenging for the league. Don't get what else you want from him. And hypothetically speaking if we do finish out of top3 in 4th (highly doubt it happens) but the the team development/culture/transition looks great in that time as it keeps heading in the right direction, then what you don't resign him? How ridiculous would that be and who do you think there is that could even do a better job. This a long term project don't forget that in which José told the club he expects to be fully prepared by year3 yet it's only the beginning of year2. Simmer down those expectations imo; like I said we're lucky to be as competitive as we are due to José speeding the process up as much as he has.

MadMike

Precisely this but it's what you keep overlooking. This is the most important part, the culture change and transition / new core being rounded out. To have expected better in standings last year all things considered just goes to show how naive you are. Was never about that and like you said is the transfers, moving out dead weight, and improving weaknesses. Yes he's shown faults but who doesn't? Doesn't mean you crucify the guy and not give him the benefit of the doubt having the pedigree and track record he does and being the best manager in the world. You're acting like he's some rookie who needs baby sitting year to year lol. And don't ever compare anyone to SAF lol he was in a league of his own.

And yes we are challenging for the league. Don't get what else you want from him. And hypothetically speaking if we do finish out of top3 in 4th (highly doubt it happens) but the the team development/culture/transition looks great in that time as it keeps heading in the right direction, then what you don't resign him? How ridiculous would that be and who do you think there is that could even do a better job. This a long term project don't forget that in which José told the club he expects to be fully prepared by year3 yet it's only the beginning of year2. Simmer down those expectations imo; like I said we're lucky to be as competitive as we are due to José speeding the process up as much as he has.
How can I be overlooking exactly the thing that I pointed out?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He is Jose Mourinho. Him alone is a big magnet pulling top players to join his club. Pogba came back when we were not in the CL last season. Lukaku snubbed chelsea for him. Zlatan willing to go to war for him. Peter Chech likes him more than Wenger :lol:

So yes. Let him stays as long as he wants at the club. Just get the trophy cabinet bigger and wider :D:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Denis79

Zidane has a better resume, been head coach for 2 years and won 7 trophies including 2 CL trophies and La Liga. Pep his resume is certainly not less than Mourinho's. Ancelotti his resume is also not less than Mourinho's, he has coached in 5 different leagues, won the league title in every competition (usually in his first year) and he has won 3 CL titles. Simeone has won alot less trophies but he has been very good with Atlético always competiing with Real/barca for the league (also won it) and has been involved in the CL semi final and finals in the last years (imo very impressive feat). Conté has been very impressive since he stepped up to top football at Juve, won 3 league titles with them and rejuvenated a sleeping giant, and now he came to Chelsea he won the league in his first year aswell. Mourinho is a great trainer and his palmares certainly fits in with the above mentioned trainers but to outright say he is the world best (at this moment) is not justified imo.

I first need to see him winning the PL with us and competing for the CL final again before I start calling him the world's best. In fact I'am still on the fence for seeing if he is a good trainer for United at all because you know I expect more than 6th place from us and winning the EL is a nice geat but clubs like Sevilla can do that aswell with alot lesser players so I'am not counting that as a major glory for him. Mourinho has got alot to proof and he better delivers this year and you certainly can't label him as the best until he delivers, all else is very premature.
Zidane better resume? Quit the mushrooms mate.

Needham

People laughing at the PSG suggestions but you wonder where there would be left for him to go club wise after Utd. If PSG don't succeed now and Jose presses on here you can be sure they'd throw the Qatari crown jewels at him.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Hope he stays for a long time. Don't think there's a need to extend yet though - he's got 2.5 years left I believe.