Jose Tactics and Pogba

GM K

Because their midfield is very strong and liable to control the game if we don't.
If their midfield is very strong, how will 4-3-3 be a better neutralizing option than a 4-2-3-1? Pardon my asking just trying to understand the logic because first of all a 4-2-3-1 gives you more bodies in the midfield. That idea is at the core of the formation. Secondly, Poch plays 4-2-3-1 to great effect. I can't remember if that's the formation they used against us that day but I know that Poch plays it.

L1nk

Thinking about it I can't help but feel that, the problem is not so much the position in which Pogba plays but the overarching problem is the type of football we play that isn't getting the best out of him. Of course again, this doesn't excuse a lack of effort from Pogba at times.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
If their midfield is very strong, how will 4-3-3 be a better neutralizing option than a 4-2-3-1? Pardon my asking just trying to understand the logic because first of all a 4-2-3-1 gives you more bodies in the midfield. That idea is at the core of the formation. Secondly, Poch plays 4-2-3-1 to great effect. I can't remember if that's the formation they used against us that day but I know that Poch plays it.
The 3 in a 4 2 3 1 are positioned naturally further up. The three were Martial, Sanchez and Lingard, none of whom are really midfielders in my eyes. They are all players who attack/counter, not players who can help control the game. Neither the system nor the personnel were set up for keeping the ball and I feel like we try the counterattacking setup too often. We also should have changed it as soon as we went behind because you can't counterattack against a team that is only trying to control the game rather than chase it. An extra proper midfielder should mean better control of possession.

Spurs are quite different as Eriksen is like Pogba as a player and in any case they generally line up with Dier or Wanyama at the base, Eriksen to the right and Dembele to the left. I think we can all agree that Dier/Dembele/Eriksen is a proper midfield three and that Matic/Pogba/Lingard is not really... Lingard is more similar to Son if you want to compare players with Spurs, Pogba to Eriksen and we frankly don't have a player like Dembele. Even when Pogba attempts to play that role we then lack the playmaker type just ahead of him.

And all of that is still leaving Alli and Kane out of the discussion who both do quite a bit of defensive work. Lamela and Son sometimes too. It is actually unlike Mourinho to pick so many attacking players. It's not working. Lingard does not have enough freedom, for a start.

Last edited:

El Jefe

It's a weird one. Pogba doesn't score enough to really justify sacrificing an attacker for him but at the same time he's our best player (well Sanchez now) so he should be played where he is most comfortable.

The blame and solution is very simple. Jose and Pogba are both to blame; Jose because everyone knows Pogba is a free spirit of a player and must be made to feel free or else you limit him. He should not be made to defend more than he has to and Juventus were great at limiting his defensive involvement. Pogba on the other hand isn't without blame, at times you have to sacrifice yourself for the team and mostly when we've needed it he's been a bit poor. I don't believe he intentionally sabotages the team, I just believe he's very poor at being defensively aware and is extremely immature on the pitch. He's also been shown up in the big games save for a few.

Basically Mourinho needs to use him better but Pogba too has to get much better. Claiming he'll shoot up to KDB's level by playing a 4-3-3 is incredibly disingenuous.

GM K

The 3 in a 4 2 3 1 are positioned naturally further up. The three were Martial, Sanchez and Lingard, none of whom are really midfielders in my eyes. They are all players who attack/counter, not players who can help control the game. Neither the system nor the personnel were set up for keeping the ball and I feel like we try the counterattacking setup too often. We also should have changed it as soon as we went behind because you can't counterattack against a team that is only trying to control the game rather than chase it. An extra proper midfielder should mean better control of possession.

Spurs are quite different as Eriksen is like Pogba as a player and in any case they generally line up with Dier or Wanyama at the base, Eriksen to the right and Dembele to the left. I think we can all agree that Dier/Dembele/Eriksen is a proper midfield three and that Matic/Pogba/Lingard is not really... Lingard is more similar to Son if you want to compare players with Spurs, Pogba to Eriksen and we frankly don't have a player like Dembele. Even when Pogba attempts to play that role we then lack the playmaker type just ahead of him.

And all of that is still leaving Alli and Kane out of the discussion who both do quite a bit of defensive work. Lamela and Son sometimes too. It is actually unlike Mourinho to pick so many attacking players. It's not working. Lingard does not have enough freedom, for a start.

In the 4-2-3-1, the '3' play as attacking midfielders when with the ball and 'defending' midfielders when without the ball. Their positionings are incredibly flexible first of all because they are expected to interchange position among themselves (hence we have seen Martial switch wings in the last few games) and secondly because their positioning, relative to their team mates, change depending on who has the ball. If the opposition has the ball, there is an onus on these three players to fall back deeper into the midfield and help out defensively, particularly those playing in the wide roles who are supposed to also help their full backs. At this time, the formation should look more like a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 o even a 4-5-1. Among the three, there is usually one central creative force, playing behind the striker (I have seen Jose deploy either Alexis or Lingard there).

So clearly, a central idea of the 4-2-3-1 is to avoid being outnumbered in the middle.

As for the 'double pivot' or '2', one is often asked to focus on breaking up play while the other often has a freer, roaming role playing as a holding midfielder or a deep lying playmaker. Whoever plays that role often has to possess impressive vision, good passing range and the ability to dictate tempo. One may totally disagree with him and understandably so, but it is so easy to understand why Jose plays Pogba there regularly especially at the time our midfield got depleted.

When his team is in possession of the ball that second of the '2' has a lot of freedom and is more offensively oriented. He often takes up the playmaking role and occupies that space behind the number 10 (that central player of the '3'. Again, this is why it is wrong for anyone to say that Pogba is tied to defensive work when we play the 4-2-3-1).

In the Spurs game, in my opinion, we did not lose because of our formation. We lost because too many players simply did not come to the party. It was shocking. The blunders, poor decision making, lack of bite, etc.

Last edited:

sincher

Players can 'come to the party' much more easily when you are not being tactically outdone in every area of the pitch...

minoo-utd

It's sad to see players not happy with the way the manager does. Pogba looking he is not enjoying and don't want to give 100 percent. If so why they don't put a condition in their fecking contracts telling where they have to play here or there! Pogba needs to do what ever the manager asks him to.

cletus7

It's a weird one. Pogba doesn't score enough to really justify sacrificing an attacker for him but at the same time he's our best player (well Sanchez now) so he should be played where he is most comfortable.

The blame and solution is very simple. Jose and Pogba are both to blame; Jose because everyone knows Pogba is a free spirit of a player and must be made to feel free or else you limit him. He should not be made to defend more than he has to and Juventus were great at limiting his defensive involvement. Pogba on the other hand isn't without blame, at times you have to sacrifice yourself for the team and mostly when we've needed it he's been a bit poor. I don't believe he intentionally sabotages the team, I just believe he's very poor at being defensively aware and is extremely immature on the pitch. He's also been shown up in the big games save for a few.

Basically Mourinho needs to use him better but Pogba too has to get much better. Claiming he'll shoot up to KDB's level by playing a 4-3-3 is incredibly disingenuous.
No, not disingenuous... that’s how it is. Quite confident about that.

L1nk

It's sad to see players not happy with the way the manager does. Pogba looking he is not enjoying and don't want to give 100 percent. If so why they don't put a condition in their fecking contracts telling where they have to play here or there! Pogba needs to do what ever the manager asks him to.
As a footballer, as a human being, a competitive athlete, would you genuinely be happy with being told to stifle what you're good at just to do a job that you aren't so good at, when you look across our rivals here and on the continent who are playing vastly better, fun, entertaining football where, im sorry but, Pogba would be playing vastly better football and be vastly more productive doing what he's best at, and we're turning out passive tumescent sh*te a lot of the time where we look disjointed, confused and inept, with, let's be honest, no hope of a league on the horizon as long as we continue to play at this level, you'd be wondering what you've been missold to get you there. I understand it's frustrating because I hate player power and questioning a manager is not something that should be done unless you absolutely feel the manager is in the wrong for whatever reason, but I have to say in this regard i sympathise with Pogba a little bit.

On the flipside his attitude has been poor and there's zero excuse for some of the performances he's put in, but I, Juventus fans, neutral fans, and a lot of fans on here would be vastly confident in saying that Pogba and a lot of our other attacking talent would flourish a lot more under the management of someone else and some people are afraid to say that for criticising Mourinho, but it's the bottom line.

Rajma

Rubbish argument, does Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, or Can score enough? Does Erisken, Dier, and Dembele score many? Does Kross, Modric, Caseimiro score a lot? In short the answer is no and yet the attacking play of mentioned teams is much more competent than ours.

It is about giving platform to shine for front three by taking control as well as adding defensive stability and it's them who should bear the burden. Also, it is only sensible to assume that it would be easier for Pogba to score being closer to opposition goals.

GM K

Players can 'come to the party' much more easily when you are not being tactically outdone in every area of the pitch...
A player who cannot do the basics of football well on a consistent basis because of 'wrong formation' or 'tactics', doesn't deserve to be playing for Manchester United. At this rate, Jones will tell us his own goal was because of poor tactics after all, people are already saying Pogba's embarrassing attitude on the pitch was because of wrong tactics.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
OK - so which classy matches has he shone in for us in a 4-3-3? Also, why would you say he "isn't suited" to play in a midfield 2? If it's because he leaves open spaces, I'd argue that this is the fallout of lacking positional discipline. You can't get away with that (regardless of formation) against the top teams and asking a manager to accept this as an issue and just mitigate it by compromising the overall attack should then logically demand attacking output far above what Pogba has shown. A Ronaldo gets away with not defending as much simply because of his astonishing goal tally.

Highly debatable to be honest. Pragmatic and attacking are not mutually exclusive to my mind. None of the great Italian teams was built without a very sound defence and I don't think anyone can argue that Italy produced a number of greats. Not even the "swashbuckling" 1988-1993 AC Milan team could be said to not have been "pragmatic". Why not list out the midfield greats who had no defensive responsibilities and who required managers to play an additional player to cover for this shortfall? I'm open to being proven wrong - but a list and examples would help prove your point.

I know that a lot of teams add an extra midfielder for "big" games, but how many play even minnows with extra defensive cover because one of the central midfielders can't be relied upon if the ball is lost?

Note: I didn't see most of his Juve games (only CL and the big matches) so can't comment on how much defensive responsibility he carried at Juve.
Pogba isn't defensively weak in midfield 3 as it's not his primary role. In 2 man midfield, he can't roam and have more influence in game without vacation his position and leaving only Matic to stop the counters.

Roles in 2 and 3 are completely different and no one has even said he should be free from all defensive duties. @Raees has posted several Pogba videos and those are against the biggest clubs playing in midfield 3. Looks at his overall role, he drops deep, win the ball, spreads the ball, starts the counter and even beats player with his flair and dribbling ability. Can he do all that in midfield 2? No, that would make our midfield very weak as Matic will be the only player in midfield.

With Pogba and Pirlo (2 players who are defensively not so strong) how come Juventus were so good defensively? They defend as a team, don't expect only midfielders to win possession back.

In smaller games Pogba has done very well in midfield 2. Just 2 weeks back before Spurs game he was one of our best players. Now that he was poor against Newcastle, all of a sudden every started questioning his work rate and ethic, which is just laughably knee jerk reactions.

Again no one said Pogba can't play in midfield 2, he can and he has already showed it but for team and for Pogba midfield 3 is much more suited to bring best out of team.

rampo

My 2 cents on this whole debate

1. I think midfield 3 is good for the team and not just because Pogba wants it. Pogba is wrong in acting like a child and not putting up even a decent effort, but irrespective of that, Jose should move to a midfield 3. There is a reason why other top teams across the continent like Barcelona, Real, City play a midfield 3. It gives you more balance in the game in terms of protecting your defense and transforming defense into attack quickly - this in turn means more control over the game. It is a no-brainer actually in this age of high press - to resist that press you need one more option in the midfield to protect the ball

2. People highlighting United played midfield 2 forget we had wingers on either side of that midfield 2. Those were the times when high press was not prevalent in the league (high press really became a thing with advent of clubs like Southampton and managers like Poch, Klopp and Pep). Even when put under pressure, our midfield 2 could pass the ball sideways to the wingers who could move the ball forward. Currently, we are not playing with any wingers and the only option for midfield is to go back to the defenders when faced with pressure

sincher

A player who cannot do the basics of football well on a consistent basis because of 'wrong formation' or 'tactics', doesn't deserve to be playing for Manchester United. At this rate, Jones will tell us his own goal was because of poor tactics after all, people are already saying Pogba's embarrassing attitude on the pitch was because of wrong tactics.
Every player makes mistakes every now and again, even top class ones. Are you saying Jones should not be playing for Manchester United after a couple of mistakes?

Yes, we made a couple of errors against Spurs, but that is actually kind of irrelevant as I'm not even talking about the scoreline, more the fact that we were outclassed in every area of the pitch and barely made an impression on the game, which I think was definitely credit to the opposition but also at least in part caused by a poor and badly chosen tactical setup. Whether or not we would have won or drew or whatever is actually beside the point.

Tyinde

The real problem is we need someone who can really lead the attack or even tactially lead the team. But the fact is, a player like Pogba or Özil, if the team play bad, they play even worse. They are just not really a key player. They can't turn a ugly thing to a nice thing. They are some kind of "icing on the cake" player.
Juven tried to build a team among Pogba when Pirlo and Marchisio weren't available, and the results war far worse then us right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

GM K

Every player makes mistakes every now and again, even top class ones. Are you saying Jones should not be playing for Manchester United after a couple of mistakes?

Yes, we made a couple of errors against Spurs, but that is actually kind of irrelevant as I'm not even talking about the scoreline, more the fact that we were outclassed in every area of the pitch and barely made an impression on the game, which I think was definitely credit to the opposition but also at least in part caused by a poor and badly chosen tactical setup. Whether or not we would have won or drew or whatever is actually beside the point.

Not sure how I came across but we are actually mostly on the same page, mate. I just don't think tactics is responsible for players messing up on the most basic things a top level footballer should be doing. keeping the ball, controlling the ball, tracking, tackling, passing, identifying a mate who is free on goal, and generally showing real passion on the pitch. A number of our players - even those who played their 'natural' positions have been guilty of this in the last few days. If you are a striker and the manager asks you to play as a centre half, I expect you to still show some heart, pass properly and do all the basics a pro player does well. If you do all those well, then I can face the manager and ask, what the he*k are you doing? Pogba's problem is very much attitudinal. This does not entirely excuse Jose because he is the manager but it's just the reality. Yes, he should work on the tactics but more importantly, he needs to work with that kid to develop a warrior's - rather than a showman's - mentality. If he does this, Pogba is so complete and talented that he can play anywhere in the midfield and still stand out in any team.

El Jefe

No, not disingenuous... that’s how it is. Quite confident about that.
If you think its not disingenuous then I would say its naive.

Playing him in a 433 won't solve all his problems.

El Jefe

Rubbish argument, does Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, or Can score enough? Does Erisken, Dier, and Dembele score many? Does Kross, Modric, Caseimiro score a lot? In short the answer is no and yet the attacking play of mentioned teams is much more competent than ours.

It is about giving platform to shine for front three by taking control as well as adding defensive stability and it's them who should bear the burden. Also, it is only sensible to assume that it would be easier for Pogba to score being closer to opposition goals.
Before claiming its a rubbish argument and using Liverpool, Spurs and Real Madrid as examples, ask yourself if our front three scores anywhere near as much as there's. The front 3 of those teams will probably scor 70 goals, while our front 3 especially before the arrival of Sanchez would be lucky to hit 55.

We've struggled for goals ever since Mourinho has been here and he's aware of this. If Pogba was capable of scoring up to 20 it would make more sense given the relative weakness of our front three but he has just 3 goals this season.

What I will say is now that we have Sanchez we should play a 433 but prior to signing him I could see the argument both ways tbh.

iamherenow

Even mourinho in that press conference confirmed that pogba plays best at LCM and he played lingers on the right to pit him in his best position..
For people screaming we should play 4-3-3 right now should realise that our current midfield can't play it because of injuries and mctominay is still basically learning.
Pogba should chill out and put the effort in for now until we can rectify our midfield options in the summer with class signings and he can have his midfield role that he wants with capable players in the middle that will help him thrive and the team be better..

gavdim2002

Pogba needs Zlatan around and in the team - Zlatan provides Pogba with the mental assistance/strength much needed.

Fer

Matic and Pogba are too static. IMO we need a mobile player like Vidal/Kante/Nainggolan/Casemiro instead of a deep-lying playmaker like Kroos/Verrati/Weigl/Jorginho. What do you think?

Which other player do you consider mobile enough to play in a midfield of 3 with Pogba and Matic?

rpg

Pogba played on the left side of 4-3-3 against Sevilla. Not impressive at all. He rarely stuck in for challenge and letting opposition players passed ball around him.

If Matic n Mctominay can't get something out of him, I really doubt that a world class midfielder in summer will make a major difference.

Either he regressed in mentality or there is something wrong with Mourinho setup. Keeping the formation too static means that there will be too few runners for him to pass the ball. And he wasnt the type to play simple passes.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Pogba played on the left side of 4-3-3 against Sevilla. Not impressive at all. He rarely stuck in for challenge and letting opposition players passed ball around him.

If Matic n Mctominay can't get something out of him, I really doubt that a world class midfielder in summer will make a major difference.

Either he regressed in mentality or there is something wrong with Mourinho setup. Keeping the formation too static means that there will be too few runners for him to pass the ball. And he wasnt the type to play simple passes.
I agre it's too static at times but sorry I think it was clear that Pogba was not match fit, he was sick, otherwise he would play from the beginning

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
And Herrera was match fit?
My reaction was towards Pogba's slow and letargic movement in that game, while his movement is far from the best even when he's fit, it was clear he had an injection or didn't train for a long time.

Herrera is another story, he can push himself and unfortunately he did his hamstring. I'd rather Pogba finishes his game in a walking tempo then be out for another months and a half. We don't have a replacement. We don't want it to look like the last two months without him last season, with some absolutely terrible and negative displays.

And Herrera is a big loss too, but he somehow can be replaced with Matic even in ideal world he would be rotated after latest average performances from the Serbian. Let's hope McTominay steps ups his game. Carrick has just very little legs left..

Nuts

What do Caftards think the issue has been with Pogba?

It’s confusing to me as surely he knew what Mourinho was like and what JM would expect from him in the PL when he signed?

I’ve a feeling he was sold the move to United on the basis that working with Mourinho would make him a better player and give his game more discipline. Then, having moved, he couldn’t follow JM’s way and has lost confidence.

When I think back to the beginning of the season, it was striking how often Pogba and Zlatan appeared together in interviews - huge loss to the United team that the two just haven’t been out on the pitch together as I’m sure it was anticipated they’d be central to the team’s spine.

OneUnited24

Personally he looks tired to me, paired with being out of form its no surprise for his performances.

Son Of Sam

What do Caftards think the issue has been with Pogba?

It’s confusing to me as surely he knew what Mourinho was like and what JM would expect from him in the PL when he signed?

I’ve a feeling he was sold the move to United on the basis that working with Mourinho would make him a better player and give his game more discipline. Then, having moved, he couldn’t follow JM’s way and has lost confidence.

When I think back to the beginning of the season, it was striking how often Pogba and Zlatan appeared together in interviews - huge loss to the United team that the two just haven’t been out on the pitch together as I’m sure it was anticipated they’d be central to the team’s spine.
Jose’s man management of Pogba has been very poor to be honest. I don’t think Jose’s tactics suit Pogba’s strengths by playing him as one of the pivot in front of the defence.

Pogba thrives better when the defensive responsibility isn’t too much. Jose should have studied what made Pogba formidable at Juventus. There was a passer(Pirlo), a very mobile bulldog(Vidal) and Pogba.

At United, we don’t have a bulldog.... Pogba is somehow expected to fill that role which doesn’t suit him at all. I think Jose should buy Ndidi(Leicester). He’s 21 and he’s very combative. He’s made the most tackles in the PL this season. He will be cheap too and he looks like they key to unlock Pogba.

Untd55

Pogba seems to only want to play half a game. I don't believe you can accept that in midfield, they have to do some defending - and earlier in the season he actually was doing it. I think the only places you can have someone not contributing to defence is the striker or winger positions, and you can only have one player doing that.

People have been saying that he doesn't work in a two man midfield, but this has actually only happened when he decided he didn't want to try when defending. Earlier in the season we were beating teams 4v0 whilst playing a midfield of Pogba and Matic behind Mkitaryan (who was completely useless defensively, so it was pretty much a two man midfield), so why can he suddenly not play beside Matic? I think he has become lazy defensively, which has coincided with his poor performances.

Son Of Sam

Pogba seems to only want to play half a game. I don't believe you can accept that in midfield, they have to do some defending - and earlier in the season he actually was doing it. I think the only places you can have someone not contributing to defence is the striker or winger positions, and you can only have one player doing that.

People have been saying that he doesn't work in a two man midfield, but this has actually only happened when he decided he didn't want to try when defending. Earlier in the season we were beating teams 4v0 whilst playing a midfield of Pogba and Matic behind Mkitaryan (who was completely useless defensively, so it was pretty much a two man midfield), so why can he suddenly not play beside Matic? I think he has become lazy defensively, which has coincided with his poor performances.
He wants to get involved all the time, he has no positional discipline. Let’s be honest, United had some of the weakest teams at the start of the season, they were going to trouble us too much so the results looked good even with Pogba in a 2-man midfield.

I also think Bailly needs another formidable partner. Umtiti is a good option. I don’t think Jose trusts that defence at all, this is why he plays conservatively cos he knows once the opponents break, we always look to be in grave danger.

Sing you a song

I don't know how to copy and paste images onto here but my son sent me a picture that Pogba posted today on Instagram (or a tweet )of him showing off his new haircut liked by lingard, dybala and 430,000 others.
He hasn't even got the sense to lay low when he is playing diabolically.
It's all just a big game to him, he is in real danger of becoming the most expensive flop in football history

PepsiCola

I don't know how to copy and paste images onto here but my son sent me a picture that Pogba posted today on Instagram (or a tweet )of him showing off his new haircut liked by lingard, dybala and 430,000 others.
It's all just a big game to him, he is in real danger of becoming the most expensive flop in football history
Yes, because he should not be allowed a life off the football pitch.

That is a massive part of Pogba's appeal to the club and a major reason in why we signed him - like it or not.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
The nerve of him to have a haircut.

Sing you a song

Yes, because he should not be allowed a life off the football pitch.

That is a massive part of Pogba's appeal to the club and a major reason in why we signed him - like it or not.
I knew someone would come back with the "allowed a life "line , but let's be serious for a minute he cost 89m and has been bloody awful surely a tweet about working hard in training and desperate to get his place back would be more sensible than hey look at my new haircut,how long will you forgive his lack of passion for the club for ?
He is taking the pxxx out of us and the club

PepsiCola

I knew someone would come back with the "allowed a life "line , but let's be serious for a minute he cost 89m and has been bloody awful surely a tweet about working hard in training and desperate to get his place back would be more sensible than hey look at my new haircut,how long will you forgive his lack of passion for the club for ?
He is taking the pxxx out of us and the club
But how does a haircut correlate to not working hard in training or a lack of passion? It' a 24 year old living his life, the guys probably excited to be around the french national team and allowed to play proper football again.

He isn't taking the piss out of anybody. There's more important things to concern yourself about, surely.

James Peril

He’s never going to become a flop. There is something between him and Mourinho, his talents are clear for all to see. Still top 10 or whatever in the whoscored-ranking this season, and whatever you say about a ranking such as that one, you don’t get top 10 without being a good player.

Is he suited to this Mourinho-team? Perhaps not, but the same goes for Martial and Sanchez, so who’s to blame? Pogba would rule the pitch for virtually any other top team, just like he does for France when they’re bothered. Just watch that game against England last sesson and tell me he’s a flop

Sing you a song

But how does a haircut correlate to not working hard in training or a lack of passion? It' a 24 year old living his life, the guys probably excited to be around the french national team and allowed to play proper football again.

He isn't taking the piss out of anybody. There's more important things to concern yourself about, surely.

If you can't see my point I give in !
I love the guy and was so excited when we bought him, yes let's forget about how expensive he was and how poorly he has performed and celebrate his haircuts instead