Jose Tactics and Pogba

PepsiCola

If you can't see my point I give in !
I love the guy and was so excited when we bought him, yes let's forget about how expensive he was and how poorly he has performed and celebrate his haircuts instead
Who is celebrating his haircuts?

He's going through a poor patch right now, but prior to February he was great. I'm sure we'll see him shine playing for France, but you carry on moaning about a young adult being himself.

Sing you a song

He’s never going to become a flop. There is something between him and Mourinho, his talents are clear for all to see. Still top 10 or whatever in the whoscored-ranking this season, and whatever you say about a ranking such as that one, you don’t get top 10 without being a good player.

Is he suited to this Mourinho-team? Perhaps not, but the same goes for Martial and Sanchez, so who’s to blame? Pogba would rule the pitch for virtually any other top team, just like he does for France when they’re bothered. Just watch that game against England last sesson and tell me he’s a flop
Does the fact he " is not suited to jose's style of play " give him the excuse to hit every other pass either to an opposition player or out of touch
Still top 10 ? And falling !

manunited1919

He’s never going to become a flop. There is something between him and Mourinho, his talents are clear for all to see. Still top 10 or whatever in the whoscored-ranking this season, and whatever you say about a ranking such as that one, you don’t get top 10 without being a good player.

Is he suited to this Mourinho-team? Perhaps not, but the same goes for Martial and Sanchez, so who’s to blame? Pogba would rule the pitch for virtually any other top team, just like he does for France when they’re bothered. Just watch that game against England last sesson and tell me he’s a flop
Pogba on form is one of the best players in the world, we should really build our team around him. I thought that’s what we were doing, until Sanchez came in. To me, we need Pogba in his best position, and then start bringing Sanchez from the bench into different positions, until they are completely comfortable with each other.

DRM

Pogba on form is one of the best players in the world, we should really build our team around him. I thought that’s what we were doing, until Sanchez came in. To me, we need Pogba in his best position, and then start bringing Sanchez from the bench into different positions, until they are completely comfortable with each other.
Still maintain Sanchez was the wrong signing. We should've gone for Mahrez!

Sing you a song

I've had it on this thread I don't want to come across as a Pogba hater because I certainly am not.
I was in agreement that we should build the team around him and play him in his best position but will that make him pass the ball with more accuracy surely he should be doing that wherever he is on the pitch l,but too often his passes go astray.
I honestly thought this year he would be up for the ballon d'or but at the moment he is miles behind the best.
Look I don't care about his haircut just want him to show his adoring public that he cares and it's only an opinion but I think he should be toning down the high profile and being a little bit more humble.
Ronaldo is the flashiest,most egotistical media hungry guy around but he has earned the right to be. Pogba has a long way to go

AndyJ1985

Still maintain Sanchez was the wrong signing. We should've gone for Mahrez!
He was the obvious choice. We needed someone on the right and that's his natural position. But as usual we make the wrong decision. I still think Sanchez will come good next season but it's annoying we keep failing to make the obvious signings where we need them.

f_to_z

I wouldnt right off Pogba just yet. Yes hes been very poor, yes hes been acting childish, and yes his performances have dropped a lot. Lets not forget how he was in the beginning of the season and how he was with Juventus. That talent is still there. He is just having a reality check, too much pressure and tough treatment from Mourinho and this has made him doubt himself a little. All his life he have had it easy and spoiled with Juventus but this is the first time it gets difficult and hes hit a new low right now. I think he is adjusting to this new situation and I hope he has the character to use it and get stronger. Mourinho is trying to create a man out of him by treating him like this and I think it will work in the end and he will bounce back and become the star intended to be.

Mr PG

Yes, because he should not be allowed a life off the football pitch.

That is a massive part of Pogba's appeal to the club and a major reason in why we signed him - like it or not.
If we don't allow this dude to be himself...on and off the pitch..unless it' behaviour that affects his football (and the hair has nothing to do with it last time I checked) ,then we won't get the best of him. Why would we want the Pog in a shell?
Are we back to the days one got a bad look if you wore colored boots?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
If it's a choice between Jose and the star players, Jose will back Jose. That seems to work for only so long, and we're getting to that time.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I knew someone would come back with the "allowed a life "line , but let's be serious for a minute he cost 89m and has been bloody awful surely a tweet about working hard in training and desperate to get his place back would be more sensible than hey look at my new haircut,how long will you forgive his lack of passion for the club for ?
He is taking the pxxx out of us and the club
What the hell is this?

TeddyBear

'Ole's CL goal was overrated'
Get a “kante” or “makelele” to help the midfield

——“Proper DM”—-

—Pogba——matic——-

Pogba free to roam.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
It’s his weak mental capacity and poor attitude in all honesty.

...I mean look, this isn’t a post to bash his pure footballing talents or anything as it’s well known he’s world class and I’m an avid supporter of his. Instead, this is about his mindset which derails his on field play and thus doesn’t let him play to his maximum capabilities. As much of a fan I am of his, I think it’s time to be honest about this as we shouldn’t be turning a blind eye to it.

His mental attributes are just nowhere near up to par with his physical attributes. It’s unfortunate and sucks seeing how it effects him which directly has a negative trickle down effect on the rest of the team.

Playing for such a historic club like United, every player should be honoured to wear the badge and shouldn’t take it as a privilege for us to watch them regardless of status or talent or any of that. When things are going well it’s easy for everyone to be in good spirits. But when things go sideways, that’s the real test and where we see the true character of players; Pogba has shown he lets it get the best of him.

Just look at Lukaku. He went through a pretty shitty run of form earlier on in the season but he didn’t give up. Kept his chin up, put in his best efforts day in day out, was unselfish in doing the best/making plays for the team even if it meant things weren’t going his own way, and worked tirelessly to change his outcome for the better which he most certainly did.

Paul on the other hand, he hangs his head. When things aren’t going his way, he lollygags around the pitch casually like some entitled superstar which he hasn’t earned the right to do in hopes of lightning striking his fortunes for the better while not giving it his all. Has poor body language which if visible to us fans most definitely is to his teammates. Is selfish in that he tries doing too much with the ball to get himself back on track when instead he could be making the simple plays for others around him thus advancing the play of the team which in return will up his own play as well.

...his highs are high which is fine to an extent but his lows are terribly low and he needs to figure out to manage that as it clearly shows lack of character. You’re only as good as your last game and Pogba just hasn’t gotten a grasp of that concept (yet [?]). He seems to be devoid of responsibility and doesn’t show much passion. Matter of fact, he shows selfish frustrations and pouts like he’s owed something which he isn’t. People say his confidence is shot - which it is as a result of all these things - as some sort of cop out but he can’t even be bothered looking like he could care less often times.

The worst part is he’s our most gifted outfield player and someone the rest of the team automatically will look to. If that’s the sort of behaviour he’s showing (your best player), you can see how it rubs off on the rest of the team. Just imagine if that’s the sort of character Keane or Messi or Ronaldo or Ronaldinho had. Pogba has to be relentless, work for everything, and not play like such an individual when things go south.

Since his return, I never was for letting Pogba go but if this keeps up and he doesn’t change, I honestly would be open to just moving on as it’d seem like a pretty realistic option if it comes down to it. What else can you do at that point really. I hope it doesn’t come to that and he’s able to figure it out as I only want what’s best for United and am growing tired of this fragile mentality. If Paul can’t adapt, it’ll only get worse for United. If he can, United can most certainly use him.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Form. Much like Sanchez. Two world class players low on confidence. It happens. There are a few tactical issues, but it's mostly individual form.

RedCurry

If we played a good brand of football, “mentality” would matter a lot lesser.

Jamie Shawcross

In my opinion, the problem with Pogba (and others) is I think the whole transfer saga and hype got to his head. He's a young lad with a long way to go development wise but all that promo and price tag got into his head and likely convinced him he's the dog bullocks. He's hardly lacking in ego. I can't help but think he thinks he's bigger than the club, his arrival like the second coming of christ and he's just simply not putting the work in. If he realised he's got a long way to go yet despite his talent, he wouldn't be in the situation he's in now. He needs to realise who we are and get his head down. We aren't just a pay day

Jamie Shawcross

Firstly Pogba has really been affected by this Sanchez move, why I really don't know, is he upset about the fact that he isn't the number 1 choice any more or has he been told to hang back more and defend, what ever the reason he is showing nothing on the pitch. What ever it is, it seems to have had the same effect as the number 9 shirt saga had on Martial last year.
Jose pulling him off two games in a row won't improve matters, not that Jose wasn't justified in doing so seeing how he prances around doing very little, avoiding tackles and letting everything pass him by, really sad to see.
Jose has done his utmost to accommodate Sanchez but with no idea/plan how he really wants to use him. By doing this he has disrupted the little bit of sync we had in attack, in time it should sort itself out, lets hope sooner than later otherwise we will be in a real fight just to get into the top 4.
My greatest concern is that Jose has come here and I am yet to see what he wants to create at Utd, there seems to be no big picture going forward, no real game plan or tactics on how to approach games either. The only constant is his 4-2-3-1 formation and if that doesn't work, no plan B, Fellaini used to be plan B but he has been injured. I am starting to get the feeling he has taken us as far as he can, I can't say that I am seeing any form of progress in this team any more and unless something drastic happens and soon we will see the same thing happen as it did with LvG, the players will keep putting in the performances they are putting in now and things will go downhill again.
Before everyone gets on my back about being so negative, when was the last time our team put in a top performance from the start?
When was the last time our team was second in the league? It might not always be pretty but you cannot deny we are improving

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
In my opinion, the problem with Pogba (and others) is I think the whole transfer saga and hype got to his head. He's a young lad with a long way to go development wise but all that promo and price tag got into his head and likely convinced him he's the dog bullocks. He's hardly lacking in ego. I can't help but think he thinks he's bigger than the club, his arrival like the second coming of christ and he's just simply not putting the work in. If he realised he's got a long way to go yet despite his talent, he wouldn't be in the situation he's in now. He needs to realise who we are and get his head down. We aren't just a pay day
How do you explain his early season form then?

He's going through a dip, he's still young and it happens. Did spurs fans start to right off Kane when he didn't score for a month?

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Precisely my thoughts as well.

He's going through a dip, he's still young and it happens. Did spurs fans start to right off Kane when he didn't score for a month?
Don’t even compare the two. Pogba has been like this since his arrival. About the early season form, like I said all is good when things are going well which was early on in the season. Since things got a bit turbulent, he hasn’t been able to pick himself off the ground.

P-Nut

Precisely my thoughts as well.

Don’t even compare the two. Pogba has been like this since his arrival. About the early season form, like I said all is good when things are going well which was early on in the season. Since things got a bit turbulent, he hasn’t been able to pick himself off the ground.
But you said the whole hype got to his head? That was almost 2 years ago. How has he managed to perform as one of our best players for the majority of that time?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
sell Pogba, Sanchez, Shaw, Martial this summer, give Mou another 200M this summer to build his team. The team he inherited from LVG is too poor. Rumor said he needs 5 new players. If still not good enough then another 100M in January. He will make it right. Just look at how much Pep and Klopp had spent, so Mou needs to spend even more to catch up.

P-Nut

sell Pogba, Sanchez, Shaw, Martial this summer, give Mou another 200M this summer to build his team. The team he inherited from LVG is too poor. Rumor said he needs 5 new players. If still not good enough then another 100M in January. He will make it right. Just look at how much Pep and Klopp had spent, so Mou needs to spend even more to catch up.
You're not going to last long

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Just look at Lukaku. He went through a pretty shitty run of form earlier on in the season but he didn’t give up. Kept his chin up, put in his best efforts day in day out, was unselfish in doing the best/making plays for the team even if it meant things weren’t going his own way, and worked tirelessly to change his outcome for the better which he most certainly did.
To be fair, not many are as tough as Lukaku. That guy would run through brick walls for his team and that is exactly what Jose loves about him.
He basically runs himself into the ground, every match, even when he gets little service.
Jamie Vardy is another excellent example of this. With him in your team, even if you are 10-0 down, you know that that guy will not accept defeat. Roy Keane and Shearer were other great players who exhibited this quality.

Pogba's mental capacity to fight, is about average, I'd say. He can definitely fight, but won't continue battling when the chips are down (as we are seeing now).
Jose needs to somehow get Pogba fighting for his place, for the team and for himself.

I do hope that Pogba does not give up, accept that MUFC is just too difficult and waltz off to another team where he can easily win the title with little effort (read: Di Maria).
Jose is fighting (against the media and fans) and I hope that our players see the flack that the manager is getting, and decide to also fight hard.

Jamie Shawcross

I am talking about his general attitude and approach to everything. You can call this a dip if thats what you think it is, fair enough but for me his performances have been up and down since the day he pulled our shirt back on. He is nothing like the player we signed. In my opinion, he doesn't work hard enough because he doesn't feel he needs to. He believes his own hype and doesn't put the effort in. Complete lack of proffesionalism, and I know its cliche but I am sick of seeing his haircuts. I want to see a focused, professional footballer with his ability the first thing on his mind not his hair or a new dance move. He needs to sort his attitude out, we are the biggest club in the world but that won't last long if we keep carrying big players who don't put their all in

redflair

Hopefully, the international break might help him as he joins up with his French colleagues and assess where it's all gone right for some and not for others.

I think the two Sevilla CL demotions really hurt him because a player like that needs the prestige of that competition to showcase his talents to the world.

The problem is, if he doesn't get a start for France in these two friendlies then we might get a similar player back at OT to the one we've had in 2018: unfocused, lacklustre and unable to make any impact on the team.

Let's hope he gets some serious game time and gets some confidence back. How about a semi at Wemley against Spurs to banish some of those demons?

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
I am talking about his general attitude and approach to everything. You can call this a dip if thats what you think it is, fair enough but for me his performances have been up and down since the day he pulled our shirt back on. He is nothing like the player we signed. In my opinion, he doesn't work hard enough because he doesn't feel he needs to. He believes his own hype and doesn't put the effort in. Complete lack of proffesionalism, and I know its cliche but I am sick of seeing his haircuts. I want to see a focused, professional footballer with his ability the first thing on his mind not his hair or a new dance move. He needs to sort his attitude out, we are the biggest club in the world but that won't last long if we keep carrying big players who don't put their all in
Exactly, he seems to invest more of his spare time to hairdos, and dance moves, than he does about actually improving his game. Even if it is not the case, it sure looks like it is. The guy needs a major wake up. I am not 100% sure what effect Joses style of play is having on him. But he projects an image of a guy who acts more like a model than a footballer.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Who is celebrating his haircuts?

He's going through a poor patch right now, but prior to February he was great. I'm sure we'll see him shine playing for France, but you carry on moaning about a young adult being himself.
Why are you so sure of him shining for France when he's been largely underwhelming for the N.T ? He has got to prove himself for Les Bleus too.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Get a “kante” or “makelele” to help the midfield

——“Proper DM”—-

—Pogba——matic——-

Pogba free to roam.
Imagine if we'd got Kante and (more recently) Mahrez instead of Sanchez?

Kante/Matic/Pogba as the midfield (with Pogba most advanced) and Mahrez/Lukaku/Rashford (or Martial) upfront...

f_to_z

Now i understang why Ferguson said Pogba was not ready for first team and sold him. I can see the immaturity with this player. The Sir keeps getting things right even after retirement. He will grow up though pogba and become a star..i am very sure.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Now i understang why Ferguson said Pogba was not ready for first team and sold him. I can see the immaturity with this player. The Sir keeps getting things right even after retirement. He will grow up though pogba and become a star..i am very sure.
Is this why he didn't have any problem to shine at Juventus and became a serial winner?

f_to_z

Is this why he didn't have any problem to shine at Juventus and became a serial winner?
Yes I understand your reasoning. He did play amazing Football at Juventus and why not play the same here. The difference though there he did not have the same pressure like he is having here. At Juventus he was between Big name stars carrying all the pressure from him. He was probably the player with the least pressure at Juventus so he was not tested much mentally. At United he is expected to be the main man in the middle which is very difficult with lots of pressure. Plus United as a whole performances have been bad so everyone is expecting Pogba to carry the team.

Juventus at that time was the only team competing in the Italian league so no pressure on their players. Right now in premier league top 6 teams are all very strong and competing. I can imagine the pressure has got to him and its a new experience to be in this situation. But like I said its just a dip and I am sure he will learn from it and get much stronger mentally.

P-Nut

Yes I understand your reasoning. He did play amazing Football at Juventus and why not play the same here. The difference though there he did not have the same pressure like he is having here. At Juventus he was between Big name stars carrying all the pressure from him. He was probably the player with the least pressure at Juventus so he was not tested much mentally. At United he is expected to be the main man in the middle which is very difficult with lots of pressure. Plus United as a whole performances have been bad so everyone is expecting Pogba to carry the team.

Juventus at that time was the only team competing in the Italian league so no pressure on their players. Right now in premier league top 6 teams are all very strong and competing. I can imagine the pressure has got to him and its a new experience to be in this situation. But like I said its just a dip and I am sure he will learn from it and get much stronger mentally.
This line gets repeated loads on here. When he first arrived at Juve sure he probably wasn't under much pressure. But when you put in performances like he did then the pressure to repeat that begins to build and build.

It's why a player like McTominay is under less pressure to perform than says Sanchez. When fans know what you are capable of they expect you to perform to your best, and Pogba put in some scintillating displays at Juve and the fans surely grew to expect that from him.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
This line gets repeated loads on here. When he first arrived at Juve sure he probably wasn't under much pressure. But when you put in performances like he did then the pressure to repeat that begins to build and build.

It's why a player like McTominay is under less pressure to perform than says Sanchez. When fans know what you are capable of they expect you to perform to your best, and Pogba put in some scintillating displays at Juve and the fans surely grew to expect that from him.
And once Vidal and Pirlo left most of the pressure was on him in midfield.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

You are right about the pressure but part of it is self imposed. The entire marketing strategy around him was that he was one of the best CMs player to become the new face of United. I mean he is also responsible for the expectation being high because of the way he put himself out there

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Firstly Pogba has really been affected by this Sanchez move, why I really don't know, is he upset about the fact that he isn't the number 1 choice any more or has he been told to hang back more and defend, what ever the reason he is showing nothing on the pitch. What ever it is, it seems to have had the same effect as the number 9 shirt saga had on Martial last year.
Lot of truth in that. It feels as though Sanchez addition has disrupted the already fragile sputtering team work that has been created, while adding not that much in recompense. But you can't have two players who can't be bothered to defend, even if lil Scotty does a double shift to try and make up for it.

Bestietom

Nothing that a sit down and a good talk wouldn't cure. But there is one thing wrong Stubborness.