Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Fair play to him he's turned it around.

Not just the goals but he's also getting more involved in the general play and the defensive side of his game has improved loads. Even saw him winning a few physical battles which he rarely did.

His productivity is just ridiculous.

Shark

@NotShark
Such a ridiculously intelligent player, who knows why Chelsea were daft enough to sell him to us.

prarek

They also sold De Bruyne who's having an amazing season. They put all their eggs in one basket by putting so much faith in Oscar. Fortunately for them they have Fabregas.

Varun

Staff
Him and Herrera are fast becoming my fav players at the club.

Superb again today. Great to see him put in a shift defensively as well.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Becoming the player he was at his peak for Chelsea now, looks sensational and combined with Herrera really sets our team up perfectly. Sublime pass and movement once again and a very well taken goal. Thriving under the pressure of being a United player and looking world class at the moment.

JoaquinJoaquin

They also sold De Bruyne who's having an amazing season. They put all their eggs in one basket by putting so much faith in Oscar. Fortunately for them they have Fabregas.
Well Cesc has been half the player since January, which is a trend he always abides to. I think if Chelsea had a real challenger contesting them that they would crack under the pressure.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
As soon as Rooney put him through one on one I knew it was only going to end one way :D

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Really refound his confidence. He looks stronger, quicker, and even better defensively. Herrera brings a lot of his game too, I think.

Sylar

Wonder if Mourinho would have sold him to us if he knew LVG was going to be our manager. Jose surely thought Moyes would be here longer.

MDFC Manager

Just a few weeks back, him and Mata were "disliked by LvG and sure to be gone in the summer".

MDFC Manager

Fair play to him he's turned it around.

Not just the goals but he's also getting more involved in the general play and the defensive side of his game has improved loads. Even saw him winning a few physical battles which he rarely did.

His productivity is just ridiculous.
Yup, I loved that too. He probably should have tracked Clichy better for the first goal but after that, he made him his bitch in defense and offense.

VanGaalEra

I love him, I really do.

And a big LOL to people who wanted him gone and said he does basically nothing but pass the ball sideways :lol: :lol:

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Loved his work rate, was closing Clichy down all the time. That finish was class too, glad he kept his cool under pressure.

ThanksBoss26

Really enjoying him doing well.

The importance of his goals this season is worth a mention. Winners against Palace, Stoke and Liverpool and goals at crucial times in the home games against City and Liverpool again.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Excellent understanding of space in the final third when we had possession today. He knew that it would be difficult to get involved if he stayed wide, especially after the box to box midfielder on his side, Herrera, was forced to stay deeper and help Carrick get the ball forward. There was a stat at half time showing that we had used the left wing to build 57% of our attacks. A creative/attacking player who flourishes when he has the ball at his feet in the final third usually struggles under these circumstances but Mata found a way to make the difference today.

Many people don't notice this on the TV but a wide player moving out of position and all the way to the other wing in order to overload that side is a bold decision cause if the ball is lost the opposition has lots of free space to exploit. And City is a team that knows how to get the ball forward with pace. But Mata's off the ball movement in our third goal was fantastic. He knew that Rooney would drop deeper and try to link with Fellaini and he spotted the huge gap in the center of City's defense.

He found the opportunity to overload the right flank three or four more times and he managed to get something out of each one of these opportunities, including a foul in a very dangerous position. Fine performance and proof that when a player has the intelligence, the skills and the personality to deliver the goods, LvG has no problem giving him freedom of movement on the pitch.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Just rewatching parts of the match and he had a really good pass to Young for the second goal. Then another dangerous pass to Fellaini in the box at around 35mins

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Oh, and his ball out wide for the second goal was bloody delightful.

He'll probably finish the season with goals in the double figures - which is pretty remarkable considering the football he hasn't played.

Cpt Negative

When I was back in the noobs Mata was getting some grief in his thread.

The guy has got 15 in last 24 appearances, he's a machine.

saivet

Produced a good game defensively too. It was an excellent finish. Most players would have missed imo.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Always liked him and could never understand why Mourinho never gave him a fair chance at Chelsea. I worried for him at United that he wouldn't get back to his best level he was at previously but he has now flourished into the Mata who played so well for Chelsea.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Just a few weeks back, him and Mata were "disliked by LvG and sure to be gone in the summer".
Do you mean "him and Herrera"? :)

Mata was, once again, excellent and gave loads of trouble to Clichy. As TRDA pointed out, he was very intelligent and drifted infield to take advantage of spaces in the middle when we overloaded our left side. Him drifting in caused Man. City so many problems as Yaya was attracted to Fellaini and Fernandinho to Herrera. His understanding of the situations is amazing, and I'm sure van Gaal would be very happy with Mata as he currently suits van Gaal's philosophy to the tee.

prarek

He's absolutely lethal. Right up there with the best strikers in Europe when it comes to converting chances.
Better.

Mata - 3.1 shots per goal

Shots per goal Comparison

England -
Costa - 3.9
Giroud - 4.1
Silva - 4.8
Kane - 5.1
Rooney - 6.0
Sanchez - 6.6
Hazard - 7.0
Aguero - 8
Austin - 8.5

Europe -
Neymar - 3.9
Benzema - 4.5
Meier - 4.9
Messi, Bacca - 5.0
Mandzukic, Lewandowski - 5.5
Robben - 5.9
Ronaldo, Suarez - 6.1
Tevez - 6.5
Griezmann - 7.5
Higuain - 7.6
Bale - 7.9
Ibrahimovic - 8.5

*Note - penalties not included. Above stats are for league games only.

Status
Not open for further replies.