Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The thing with Mata is that he can be invisible most of the match but pops up with a goal or assist.
Yeah, even though he needs to contribute more overall, he's still getting a decent number of goals/assists. Rare to see him get a headed goal, too.

MoneyMay

The thing with Mata is that he can be invisible most of the match but pops up with a goal or assist.
Exactly, but his style isn't beneficial for the team. He's always looking to move forward instead of drop back and link play, and you can see what kind of effect that has on the rest of the team. Very disappointing half, but he scored a crucial goal.

zing

Zingle balls
Exactly, but his style isn't beneficial for the team. He's always looking to move forward instead of drop back and link play, and you can see what kind of effect that has on the rest of the team. Very disappointing half, but he scored a crucial goal.
Bang on. For a creative player, he spends way too much time ahead of the ball.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Great movement and finishing from him for the goal, that's the thing with him, he'll get you an assist, he'll get you a goal.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He scored but honestly he's just an average player. No creativity, no risks taken with his passing. RVP made some good movements but not once did he try to pass it to him. It's just sideways passing with him.

Varun

Staff
Yeah and that's an issue with most our players. 1 quick sideway pass and they run towards goal.

Varun

Staff
He scored but honestly he's just an average player. No creativity, no risks taken with his passing. RVP made some good movements but not once did he try to pass it to him. It's just sideways passing with him.
He's far from an average player. As others have said, he needs to drop deeper and get more involved rather than rushing towards the goal every given chance.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
He said before that he's trying to get in the box more, which as you said, isn't beneficial especially in this current formation. The ideal is a Silva type player.

acnumber9

I actually think he's been better today. Still not involved enough or taking enough risks with his passing but he has been a lot quicker moving the ball when he has got it and not been caught on the ball yet.

kouroux

He's far from an average player. As others have said, he needs to drop deeper and get more involved rather than rushing towards the goal every given chance.
He is for me, the only thing he hasn't lost since arriving at Utd, it's this great knack for scoring goals and finding himself in the right spots. Other than that, he adds next to nothing to the team.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
When we have the ball he plays higher up than Wilson. Don't get his position and what he should play hence he's been invisible except the goal

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
It looks like he's been hiding from the ball almost. You could see Evans having a go at him at one point for not giving support.

Varun

Staff
He is for me, the only thing he hasn't lost since arriving at Utd, it's this great knack for scoring goals and finding himself in the right spots. Other than that, he adds next to nothing to the team.
He scores/assists pretty much every game he plays. That's great for an attacking player. The only criticism I have of him is his unwillingness to get deep and get more involved in the build up. But for an attacking player, you can't fault his numbers. An average player doesnt get those many goals/assists so regularly.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Why does he not try to create anything? Wouldn't mind if he gave the ball away trying to do something but he just does....nothing.

MoneyMay

He said before that he's trying to get in the box more, which as you said, isn't beneficial especially in this current formation. The ideal is a Silva type player.
He's got an impressive goals record: 11 goals in his last 18 games. I just think that having him in the #10 role hinders our team, and he's playing it no differently to how Rooney played it last season. You leave a big gap between midfield and attack, and when you're playing a 3-5-2 you're more or less increasing pressure on the rest of your team.

I agree with you on the Silva comment. I even think that Herrera is a better fit for the role because he links play well, operates better in tight spaces, and tries to advance play.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I'm gonna stick up for him again

I love the way he never loses the ball and keeps it simple. It actually helps the whole side

But sometimes it would be nice if he took a risk or two and tried to split them open

MoneyMay

Think Mata was arguably our best player in the second half of last season. He's far from an average player - he's a player that will guarantee you very good productivity. But the problem is, you need to build a system around him to get the best out of him, and we're not going to do that hence he's looked average.

kouroux

He scores/assists pretty much every game he plays. That's great for an attacking player. The only criticism I have of him is his unwillingness to get deep and get more involved in the build up. But for an attacking player, you can't fault his numbers. An average player doesnt get those many goals/assists so regularly.
He's average in relation to how good he can be from an individual POV obviously.

Think Mata was arguably our best player in the second half of last season. He's far from an average player - he's a player that will guarantee you very good productivity. But the problem is, you need to build a system around him to get the best out of him, and we're not going to do that hence he's looked average.
I kinda meant that.

Varun

Staff
Why does he not try to create anything? Wouldn't mind if he gave the ball away trying to do something but he just does....nothing.
Yep, that's the complain I have regarding him too. With his passing ability, should take more risks specially as he plays that further up where it isnt really a problem if we lose the ball.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It looks like he's been hiding from the ball almost. You could see Evans having a go at him at one point for not giving support.
He's not been hiding, he's been moving. He's always asking for the ball. The rest of the play is just so static and predictable. CB-CB-wing back-midfield again or up the flank or back. Repeat. Him and Rooney are our only hope of playing a decent football passing game within that system as it's being used.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
He's not been hiding, he's been moving. He's always asking for the ball. The rest of the play is just so static and predictable. CB-CB-wing back-midfield again or up the flank or back. Repeat. Him and Rooney are our only hope of playing a decent football passing game within that system as it's being used.
You're probably right to be fair. Seen him repeatedly making an overlap run after laying it off to someone on the wing (on both side - further suggesting he's not hiding) but he's not getting the return ball. He thrives off that sort of stuff.

zing

Zingle balls
Agree on average. Utd got absolutely conned. 42m for this player is insane.

zing

Zingle balls
That's Ozil. Don't blame you for getting confused. Both masters of being invisible.
I think Ozil is better. Ozil's a bottler but has good creativity. Mata's just a sideways passing 2nd striker.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Anyone who thinks he's an average footballer in general probably didn't see him a lot in his early Chelsea days. He's obviously got a lot of technical ability and is an excellent footballer. It's more that he's been playing average for us lately as opposed to not being a good footballer.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Great pass to Rooney first of all, before the nice slot through to RVP for the goal. Excellent.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Mata at his best for the third goal.
The type of goal/assist he constantly got at Chelsea. On the break with nobody to beat and space to play into.

Status
Not open for further replies.