Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I believe the criticism of his performances are over the top but this I totally agree with.

I'd like to see him atleast try to put them through even if it doesnt come off. I just dont remember him trying any passes behind the defence.
It's like he looks up and sees the pass but prefers the safer side or back option. I think it must be a clear instruction from LVG (something like if you aren't 100% sure, do not attempt the pass). However he was doing more or less the same shit under Moyes.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
He's been disappointing for sure, but I think we play to slow and it effects him.

We are letting the opposition retreat and get in defensive positions before we go forward with the ball.
This leaves us with very little room to work with, and passing with so many players around is much more difficult.

Look at the match against Liverpool as an example. When Liverpool where trying to get bodies forward, we hit them on the break. The pass he made to RVP was excellent. He had space, and where most people expected a shot, he passed an excellent ball to RVP in lots of space.

zing

Zingle balls
I think people are over-thinking things and blaming the rest of the team for Mata being shit..

starman

He needs to play with a strong defensive midfield base behind him and pacey wingers creating space ahead of him to get the best out of him, if not he just seems a passenger for most of the game and not worth having an 37m player play like that.
Hes too much of a luxury when Rooney, RVP are undroppable. The only way i see him shoed in his best position is if Rooney plays as a left/right forward, which wont be too bad if he given a Ronaldo free role with DiMaria moonlighting when he make runs into the box.

edit: still too weak, think he will be gone tbh, replaced by Vidal or Strootman

.... Carrick.....Di Maria
..............Mata
Januzaj........RVP........Rooney

Last edited:

legball

He simply hasn't done it for us. As @zing said, people are over thinking things here. I've never finished watching a United game and felt "wow" what an amazing performance by Mata, not once and that's saying a lot. I think summer is the time to part ways. A genuinely nice bloke, but if he's not doing it on the field of play, then what's the point?

zing

Zingle balls
If he was English and named John, he'd be worth about 3 million.

Sylar

His stats are good but I think that glosses over his play. He had a huge opportunity when Rooney was out and didnt take it.

I do agree, he looks better when he has somebody like Herrera to help with the quick one touch stuff. I think with Di Maria and Herrera in the team it will allow him more time / space to create.

Varun

Staff
It's like he looks up and sees the pass but prefers the safer side or back option. I think it must be a clear instruction from LVG (something like if you aren't 100% sure, do not attempt the pass). However he was doing more or less the same shit under Moyes.
Yeah, wont blame the instructions. It was the same under Moyes. Its weird, has the ability, plays so far upfront that losing the ball wont even be a big deal but just doesnt fancy it.

Dion

Lots of criticism of his general play not applicable today, his passing has been superb.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
When everyone is fit, will we see the ultimate shoehorning?
Carrick
Rooney - Di Maria
Mata
Van Persie - Falcao
I might be currently blinded by mata performance, but at the moment, I do not believe he deserve to be drop for the sake of squad balance.

Annahnomoss

When everyone is fit, will we see the ultimate shoehorning?
Carrick
Rooney - Di Maria
Mata
Van Persie - Falcao
I might be currently blinded by mata performance, but at the moment, I do not believe he deserve to be drop for the sake of squad balance.
He has looked a different man with Falcao and RVP on sync making runs, pulling defenders out of their positions etc. He has the ball control to make runs in tight space, he doesn't have the dribbling to break down opponents who are organized.

Sam

Well its a home game, so he was bound to be fantastic. He's like clockwork. You can almost guarantee he'll be pants against Spurs :lol:

When he plays like this though, he's absolutely beautiful to watch.

DevilRed

Pulling the strings like how we envisioned he would. Its no coincidence he seems to be finding players left right and centre with the addition of Falcao to the frontline. Falcao has brought a lot of movement and power which is causing their defence all sorts of problems. Mata is simply just picking his spots where Falcao/RVP have dragged defenders away.

ChaddyP

Looking very good today. Very tidy, very involved, and making great assists and key passes.

itso 7

This is the player we all believed we were buying and if he performed consistently at this level or close to this from early o in the season then you'd have to be mad to hate on him. Same with every other player, play to your standards and you'll get the praise.

binary bot
Completely different player home and away. He's a luxury we can afford at home but we need more of a defensive presence away.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The confidence of being first choice at the moment is doing wonders for him

Shark

@NotShark
Another very good home performance against average opposition. Not taking anything away from him, but would like him to start doing it in the bigger games.

MDFC Manager

Can't believe the hate he gets here. With a steady midfield behind him, he's fecking brilliant

Bwuk

Keep Juan deeper as part of the midfield three. ADM can play further forward

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
If you win the ball and give him space in the final third then he'll pick out a pass.

We don't do that enough with him. Too often he finds himself with 2 banks of four and having to pick a pass from there.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Would be interesting to see someone compile his stats and performances at home compared to away.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Would be interesting to see someone compile his stats and performances at home compared to away.
At Old Trafford :

Appearances : 8 (9)
Minutes played : ~700
Goals : 4
Assists : 2 (3)

Away :

Appearances : 6
Minutes played : ~450
Goals : 1
Assists : 0

Status
Not open for further replies.