Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
In this 8 game run of ours he scored the winner from the bench vs Palace, winner against Stoke, goal +assist vs Liverpool and another superb performance yesterday. I think if he starts consistently he will reach reach numbers like 10 goals plus more than 10 assists which is not bad at all

rover

mata was too focus in decorating his own statistics as shown in too many games earlier of the season. what he needs to do is exactly the same what he has just done in this newcastle game, dedicated himself to the team play:

linked up the play in midfield;
dragged up opp defenders, looked for our runner and sent out a killing pass;
explored the hole appeared in opp defense and made selective run to charge into the box looking for a goal, just like what rooney did.

then i'll be fine with him. otherwise...

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
In this 8 game run of ours he scored the winner from the bench vs Palace, winner against Stoke, goal +assist vs Liverpool and another superb performance yesterday. I think if he starts consistently he will reach reach numbers like 10 goals plus more than 10 assists which is not bad at all
He should start every single home game, if fit. As for the away games, I'm not convinced. He seems to drop a level or two beyond what you'd expect to the point where he's almost a non-entity and we're playing with 9 outfield players. Contrast that with the fact that he's often our best player when we play at home, and I don't know what the feck to make of it. It's bizarre.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I have given him plenty of stick for doing nothing in games but this was a welcome change. His best overall performance for United so far imo. More of this please.

rover

mata is more discipline when he plays in ot, and he more tends to play his own game when away

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
I have given him plenty of stick for doing nothing in games but this was a welcome change. His best overall performance for United so far imo. More of this please.
I forget the overall details of his performance against Newcastle where he scored 2 last season (obvious the goals make it stand out) but I think that was a similar performance from memory (OMG it was an away game too :eek:). Must be a Newcastle thing, think he scored a few against them for Chelsea too.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Very naive way of looking at it. It's obvious teams don't press us at Old trafford like they do away. Mata has a lot more time and space to work on the ball at home as a result of how teams set up against us at home. Away he gets bullied and thrown around like a rag doll. The stats someone posted in this thread are not that surprising
Last season he got two goals and an assist away from home against Newcastle, and his record home and away was identical - 3 goals, 2 assists. This season he's been significantly more productive at home, we can all see that. That said if you take a look at the two half-seasons together the most obvious underlying trend is that Mata plays well when we play well. Mata hasn't been as productive away from home this year because we haven't played as well away from home this year.

We've played 9 away games; lost 3, drawn 4 and won 2 including the losses against MK Dons and City, neither of which Mata played in. So I'd say his away form is reflective of our away form this season and the reason he was equally productive home or away last season is because we were equally inconsistent home or away last season.

Some players are more comfortable, confident and composed playing at home and that may well be the case with Mata, but teams being more physical? Come on. That's the kind of rubbish Paul Merson comes out with.

Kounan

Last season he got two goals and an assist away from home against Newcastle, and his record home and away was identical - 3 goals, 2 assists. This season he's been significantly more productive at home, we can all see that. That said if you take a look at the two half-seasons together the most obvious underlying trend is that Mata plays well when we play well. Mata hasn't been as productive away from home this year because we haven't played as well away from home this year.

We've played 9 away games; lost 3, drawn 4 and won 2 including the losses against MK Dons and City, neither of which Mata played in. So I'd say his away form is reflective of our away form this season and the reason he was equally productive home or away last season is because we were equally inconsistent home or away last season.

Some players are more comfortable, confident and composed playing at home and that may well be the case with Mata, but teams being more physical? Come on. That's the kind of rubbish Paul Merson comes out with.

Actually, we were quite good away last season.

But I do think that our tactics away are the problem, especially as we played some strong teams away. And also, it's the start of the season, where we were not good at all which makes it look worse, then it really is.

This 3-5-2 tactics doesn't really suit a number ten, as they have a lot of work to do, especially if the WBs are not doing their job properly and attacking wise our fullbacks are just average (Valencia almost not existent, while Young is giving something, especially in the last games), which puts even more pressure on the number then, who also has to be a proper CM and it just doesn't work that well and it won't till our WBs and CMs start playing really good.

ottosec

Good to see he finally grew some balls. His best performance this season by far.

ricky-romeo

the perfect home player imo. would not mind to see this falcao-rvp-mata-rooney-di maria- carrick front 6 at OT, as gung ho as it sounds.

Sid234

I think he's more effective at home because teams tend to defend deeper at OT unlike when away from home when they push higher up and restrict those pockets of space that Mata loves

Acole9

Outstanding
Probably his best performance of the season yesterday. He played some very important passes into the strikers. The combination of him, Rooney, RVP and Falcao is mouth watering.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Very naive way of looking at it. It's obvious teams don't press us at Old trafford like they do away. Mata has a lot more time and space to work on the ball at home as a result of how teams set up against us at home. Away he gets bullied and thrown around like a rag doll.The stats someone posted in this thread are not that surprising
My thoughts exactly. He was excellent yesterday but I want to see him doing this kind of stuff on regular basis and not only every now and then, when the opposition gives him acres of space. But there is clear improvement- he wasn’t afraid to run with the ball towards the goal and tried some difficult passes. I don’t care if it doesn’t work every time, he has to take some risks- he did that against Newcastle and it was probably one of his better games for us.

I am probably one of his biggest critics but fair play to him, if he plays like that I will be very happy. However, the comments about him recovering good form are a bit exaggerated, as he was poor against Villa (see the comments). Play to your standards and you will get the deserved praise.

He has looked a different man with Falcao and RVP on sync making runs, pulling defenders out of their positions etc. He has the ball control to make runs in tight space, he doesn't have the dribbling to break down opponents who are organized.
True.

Keep Juan deeper as part of the midfield three. ADM can play further forward
This is a very bad idea IMO, as he is twice the player when played up front behind the striker(s). Why would you do that, considering Di Maria best games were as a midfielder? It’s should be the other way around.

Blue always red

I don't buy into this stuff about Mata being too physically weak to play as a 10 for us. I think it's the job of the midfield to control the game and feed Mata, instead of Mata having to control stuff whilst being the creative outlet. Against Newcastle, Rooney pretty much had the middle on lockdown which allowed Mata to stay high up the pitch and thus when he got the ball he didn't have to negotiate the ball around 10 oppositions players which meant he could pick out runs without playing perfect balls every time. Too many times do I see Mata dropping the deepest to pick the ball up because nobody else is and as a result the opposition end up being sat behind the ball whenever Mata gets into a decent position, but yesterday it was refreshing to see that Rooney was making himself available for a pass when the defenders had the ball and playing an early ball into Mata.

Annahnomoss

He's been nifty and useful today. Searched space wider than usual but it has been important for us.

DevilRed

Has been very good when given the ball. Starting to gain confidence and is really pulling the strings. His defensive work has also improved where he is no longer a liability.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's absolutly brimming with confidence, God knows what we'll do when Di Maria is fit

Status
Not open for further replies.