Jude Bellingham | Borussia Dortmund player...

arthurka

Not often I say this but United should have been all over his parents to get this guy. But who knows maybe they were. This kid is absolutely brilliant, Dortmund habe some serious reputation bringing up youth and the kid made the right decision no doubt.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Not often I say this but United should have been all over his parents to get this guy. But who knows maybe they were. This kid is absolutely brilliant, Dortmund habe some serious reputation bringing up youth and the kid made the right decision no doubt.
Bellingham and parents visited Manchester United and had a tour of Carrington (or Old Trafford, I cant recall which) with Sir Alex Ferguson. The club did everything to sign him.

Boroussia Dortmund is a commited farmerclub to the bigger teams. They sign budding star players in their teens and promise them CL/First team football in spades in a league famous of developing talent that later leave for bigger leagues.

Manchester United couldn't promise him immediate and regular first team football, so he went the route of Sancho.

arthurka

Bellingham and parents visited Manchester United and had a tour of Carrington (or Old Trafford, I cant recall which) with Sir Alex Ferguson. The club did everything to sign him.

Boroussia Dortmund is a commited farmerclub to the bigger teams. They sign budding star players in their teens and promise them CL/First team football in spades in a league famous of developing talent that later leave for bigger leagues.

Manchester United couldn't promise him immediate and regular first team football, so he went the route of Sancho.
No like I said I don't know, but anyway he made the correct choice. He is loved there and gets all the responsibility he wants.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Impossible not to love this kid.

Anyway, this was posted in the German football thread already, deserves a place here too.

He just caught a beer can. I thought I was going to watch something special.

stepic

When has Liverpool ever been able to afford talent like him? He will be another that goes for close to 100m.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Eh, I can't see Klopp leaving Liverpool before his contract runs out in 2024 and Bellingham is likely to be sold in 2023.
Just my prediction, I think Klopp will be leaving at/by the end of next season and I don’t think Bellingham will rush to leave Dortmund before he is 21/22.

Re: Klopp, I think the pandemic hurt Liverpool‘s business model in that they would have offloaded one or two of Mane | Firmino | Salah over the last couple of summers and raised £100m+ for reinvestment. As it is, there was no chance of that and Klopp is going to be frustrated at the lack of funds while his core pass 30 and he competes with United/City/Chelsea who all have younger average starting ages (despite United and Chelsea being exaggerated by Ronaldo and Thiago Silva).

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Just my prediction, I think Klopp will be leaving at/by the end of next season and I don’t think Bellingham will rush to leave Dortmund before he is 21/22.

Re: Klopp, I think the pandemic hurt Liverpool‘s business model in that they would have offloaded one or two of Mane | Firmino | Salah over the last couple of summers and raised £100m+ for reinvestment. As it is, there was no chance of that and Klopp is going to be frustrated at the lack of funds while his core pass 30 and he competes with United/City/Chelsea who all have younger average starting ages (despite United and Chelsea being exaggerated by Ronaldo and Thiago Silva).
Don't think it would be Klopp like to be frustrated by that. He'll most likely just accept it as without alternative and make the best of it. But I also believe that Bellingham will probably stay until he's 20/21.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Don't think it would be Klopp like to be frustrated by that. He'll most likely just accept it as without alternative and make the best of it. But I also believe that Bellingham will probably stay until he's 20/21.
Kloop has already moaned this season that Liverpool can’t spend like the three clubs mentioned. He’s clearly worried about keeping up with them. If Liverpool fall away from a title challenge the next two seasons and he doesn’t have the funds for a refresh I don’t see him staying.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Kloop has already moaned this season that Liverpool can’t spend like the three clubs mentioned. He’s clearly worried about keeping up with them. If Liverpool fall away from a title challenge the next two seasons and he doesn’t have the funds for a refresh I don’t see him staying.
Also his cycle will simply come to an end. He is staying quite long at one club wherever he was, but he isn't someone like SAF. So when he feels his time is over, he will step down like he did at Dortmund.

Obviously he would love to sign Bellingham (who would not?), but that is very unlikely to happen.

captaincantona

As hard as it is to say it...Utd are no place for youth of his talent. If he had of chosen us over Dortmund at 16...he would never have received the same first team chances, experience and consistent game time he needed to turn into the player we see now...against City or for England.

Utd are in the strange position of being extremely high profile but with completely unrealistic expectations about what they should be achieving. As such, the pressure Ole is under to win constantly did not- up until very recently- Reflect the actual quality of his team. As such, Bellingham would have been benched, cameo’d, u23’d or even loaned up until this point and we would not be seeing the ability he is now showing.

Bellingham made the right choice going to Dortmund and until we become more consistent and develop a style of play that allows us to rotate players more freely without seeming like a completely different team...I wouldn’t say we are best placed right now to develop elite talent at a young age. Rashford really got one chance and took it- similarly with Greenwood but an arguement could be made that it is easier for forwards to take those chances...scoring goals is a sure fire way of staying in any team but that’s not so easy for a player like Bellingham to reproduce.

Look at the likes of Haaland and Camavinga and Moriba and Fati and Felix and Foden and Davies and Saka...all given significant minutes in their teens that has led to development of their undeniable talent For club and country. all Of them in teams that can carry their inconsistent performances and still keep giving them minutes....(either due to the team being strong enough or the expectations placed on that team not being high.) After all, Do you remember how frustrating Ronaldo was in his first 3 years at the club...but the team was solid enough to carry him and then look what he did.

At Utd we already saw what happened to Rashford, Greenwood, McTominay when given important minutes- they have improved immensely. But we also saw the likes of Pogba, Pique, Rossi, Gomes (would you count Memphis?)etc. have to go elsewhere and my fear is that because we are in transition...we might end up saying the same for Hannibal, Shoretire, Amad, Elanga, Pellistri, Chong(now showing what consistent playing time at a good level can do), Galbraith, Garner.

Once the first team becomes more consistent, I’d love to see these players being brought in to the team more consistently and given more responsibility. Not just cameos on the final day of the season.

Reactions: Cheimoon

bosskeano

Dortmund won't sell him before the summer of 2023 and even then it will probably take a massive bid for him as he would still have two years left on his contract. We certainly can't wait another two seasons to address our midfield situation.

GueRed

Im still a bit annoyed we failed in our attempts to sign him in 2020 from Birmingham

Hastar

Supports
Liverpool
I already like him. Watched him for England. He was screaming at senior players and constantly demanding the ball. Very forward thinking.
But no way in hell do LFC sign him. I mean I would love it if we do, but it's not gonna happen.

I see him ending up at City or Chelsea.

Walters_19_MuFc

Goal and assist tonight. What a superb player and talent.

People want him to play beside Rice or Phillips for England but I prefer him much more as a 10 or part of the attacking three, where he has the freedom to work his magic. Very similar to Pogba in that respect. Think he'd be wasted in a deeper role, although he could drop there at times, if/when needed.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

People want him to play beside Rice or Phillips for England but I prefer him much more as a 10 or part of the attacking three, where he has the freedom to work his magic. Very similar to Pogba in that respect. Think he'd be wasted in a deeper role, although he could drop there at times, if/when needed.
He’ll retire Mount.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

I don't think he has ever played as a 10 for Dortmund? Always the 8 in a 4231 or lately 442 diamond formation

Matt851

I suspect gareth will never use him there in case it shows up mason mounts lack of output

Adnan

Talent Spotter

He made the correct decision joining BVB IMO. It was reported by the Brum based journos that it was felt he wasn't gonna be a significant part of the first team under Solskjaer after he and his parents spoke to the club and coaches. Which isn't a criticism of Solskjaer because he has to do what's best for himself. But the difference at Dortmund is that they put pressure on their head coach to play and develop young hot prospects whilst staying competitive. Which is something that suits/appeals to a prospective young talent playing along with playing at a high level.

Classical Mechanic

I don't think he has ever played as a 10 for Dortmund? Always the 8 in a 4231 or lately 442 diamond formation
Maybe not for Dortmund but when he was coming through the ranks he was so good as an 4, 8 or 10 they couldn't decide which was his true position so they gave him the 22 shirt which is those numbers added together, that was his number for Birmingham and his number now for Dortmund.

He's an 8 for me though.

Future Baloon Door winner. Nailed on.

Not being flippant either. He's an absolute monster talent. Freakish combo of technical ability, physicality and tactical prowess. It's nuts that he plays like this at 18.

Genuinely think you could play him in any role on the pitch outfield and get a consistent 7/10 from him, minimum.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's incredibly mobile, but look how he plays and what he does best. Don't get bogged down with starting positions, it's clear he's at his best when he joins the attack. Call it an #8 or whatever, he's going to develop as an attacking midfielder, it would be a waste not to

PS: Iniesta played as a nominal #8, he was an attacking midfielder ultimately

arnie_ni

Has to be high on the priority list next summer.

Hes going to be a star.

Boavista

He made the correct decision joining BVB IMO. It was reported by the Brum based journos that it was felt he wasn't gonna be a significant part of the first team under Solskjaer after he and his parents spoke to the club and coaches. Which isn't a criticism of Solskjaer because he has to do what's best for himself. But the difference at Dortmund is that they put pressure on their head coach to play and develop young hot prospects whilst staying competitive. Which is something that suits/appeals to a prospective young talent playing along with playing at a high level.
Do they? The young players they buy just frequently end up being better than the older players they buy. Their transfers and squad building definitely focus on young players more than other clubs, but I don't think they actively pressure coaches to select based on age.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Just read a fact that surely makes @giorno happy who sees him evolving into a real AM: Bellingham just became the youngest player to score in two consecutive CL matches (before today in the CL quarter final against Manchester City) at 18 years 78 days. Beat Mbappe by 7 days to that record.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Do they? The young players they buy just frequently end up being better than the older players they buy. Their transfers and squad building definitely focus on young players more than other clubs, but I don't think they actively pressure coaches to select based on age.
I specifically said 'hot prospects' which are lured to the club for the reasons i've described. Michael Zorc controls the recruitment at BVB and not the head coach.