Jude Bellingham | Borussia Dortmund player...

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He had similar in the City CL game too. I mean in both cases there is clearly contentious decisions, but he’s slowly building a bit of a rep as a crybaby/sore loser. Indulging in injustices isn’t quite a trait you want if you want to be one of the very best players.
Calling the city one contentious is a bit of generous characterisation. It was flat-out robbery and he was right to complain about it afterwards. I haven't seen the incident(s) he's referencing here but it seems like this ref was indeed banned for match fixing earlier in his career, so those comments are seem fair enough to me too.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Love that he's got the bottle to come out and say that. Whether he's right or wrong or an idiot, to me it shows a mentality that will get him to stay at the top level. The guy doesn't like losing (although he's at the wrong club for that tbh).

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
He had similar in the City CL game too. I mean in both cases there is clearly contentious decisions, but he’s slowly building a bit of a rep as a crybaby/sore loser. Indulging in injustices isn’t quite a trait you want if you want to be one of the very best players.
In his defence, the City incident was absolutely outrageous, I actually can't think of a worse call in the last decade than that decision, so I can't blame him for being mad at that.
This match, Dortmund probably should've had a pen, yes, but the Bayern one was correct so I don't see it as a massive daylight robbery. His interview is still funny, I've got no problems with him throwing Zwayer under the bus. Very curious how the DFB will react, he hasn't said anything factually wrong and I don't see how him questioning the referee choice itself is a punishable statement.

The Purley King

So a linesman who previously helped fix a match is still allowed to referee the biggest game in German football?
Okaaay, that sounds legit with no possible future repercussions.
Bellingham will get pounded for it no doubt but I admire his naive honesty

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
So a linesman who previously helped fix a match is still allowed to referee the biggest game in German football?
Okaaay, that sounds legit with no possible future repercussions.
Bellingham will get pounded for it no doubt but I admire his naive honesty
Mate, the guy in question has been refereeing Bundesliga for well over a decade, by now he's refereeing Champins League games, he refereed games at the Euros last summer.
The guy has been getting big games all the time, and he's messed up a great many of them, tonight's game was actually a perfectly fine performance compared to his usual standards.

Bellingham, Reus, Rose, or anyone else might have as well complained before the match, or last week, or last month, or last year. It's great for you that you now learned about Felix Zwayer but it's not much of a relevation to anyone else, nor has it anything to do with Dortmund losing today's game. In fact it's rather laughable that they would all of a sudden start with that.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Mate, the guy in question has been refereeing Bundesliga for well over a decade, by now he's refereeing Champins League games, he refereed games at the Euros last summer.
The guy has been getting big games all the time, and he's messed up a great many of them, tonight's game was actually a perfectly fine performance compared to his usual standards.

Bellingham, Reus, Rose, or anyone else might have as well complained before the match, or last week, or last month, or last year. It's great for you that you now learned about Felix Zwayer but it's not much of a relevation to anyone else, nor has it anything to do with Dortmund losing today's game. In fact it's rather laughable that they would all of a sudden start with that.
:lol:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It's not even a joke, if you think how horribly he did at the Euros, the cup final Bayern v Frankfurt; or think back to that DFB Pokal tie between RB Leipzig and Bayern where he made blunder after blunder in both directions and which had Rangnick (then still DoF with Hasenhüttl coaching) running onto the pitch trying to show him a scene on his mobile phone..

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I thought he was fine too, as an impartial third party, for what it's worth
He is a prick and should not be working professional matches. But I agree, he didn’t do anything clearly wrong today.

Siezard

He was brave though. He was certainly very careless in his comments but it was refreshing to know from his perspective, an 18 year old's perspective.

Last edited:

Amir

From what I read the referee was involved in fixing one match, then ended up turning in the referee, who was the main culprit and did it regularly. So I can see why he was given leniency.

Not sure I'm in favour of bringing that up again just because he decided on a penalty you didn't like.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
From what I read the referee was involved in fixing one match, then ended up turning in the referee, who was the main culprit and did it regularly. So I can see why he was given leniency.

Not sure I'm in favour of bringing that up again just because he decided on a penalty you didn't like.
Generally speaking, it's not brought up often enough; as the fact he was implicated in the Hoyzer match fixing scandal was buried by the DFB and only came to light in later years due to investigative reporting, while Zwayer had been climbing up the career ladder into Bundesliga.
Other high profile referees have publicly spoken out against what they perceive as puzzling favouritism of the DFB refereeing bodies towards Zwayer, who on top of his history of corruption (which should obviously exclude him from ever refereeing again) has not been a consistent performer and reliably good referee (they are assuming the DFB is cultivating a yes-man who owes them due to the break they gave him). It's a scandal that has lingered on since years, and in the meanwhile Zwayer keeps getting promoted (with Brych now having to retire from international duty he's now probably the no 1 German referee, which is just baffling).

So it's definitively a topic to get riled up about, just not, as you rightly point out, as an excuse for Dortmund losing or for claiming Bayern being advantaged..

HTG

Supports
Bayern
While I disagree with Bellingham‘s assessment of the penalty (obvious one in my book), I completely agree with his overall point. It is absolutely shameful and inexplicable that someone like Zwayer is allowed to be a ref. Especially on that level.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
It was but what people are saying is that the same ref ignored a blatant penalty on Reus and VAR didn’t even intervene. That’s where the problem is. Ref checked Bayern’s ASAP.
The VAR made the ref check the handball situation.
The Reus foul/no-foul is a separate incident and should have no bearing on the Hummels handball.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I could be wrong but doesn’t UEFA have their own metrics as to who can ref CL games? (Just talking about the no 1 comment)
Probably yes. I don't know if they take suggestions from the national associations or if they pick the refs themselves.

Point is, Zwayer has meanwhile become a very high profile referee, for better or for worse, he's been officiating games every week, and it's ridiculous and rather unacceptable for Bellingham to suddenly connect today's game, which was objectively a decent refereeing performance, to the Hoyzer affair from 2004.
Dortmund are really cultivating being very bad losers, and if Bellingham did something like that in the PL he'd be banned for quite a while. He'll probably get away with a fine here, which will encourage him on. His manager and senior teammates not exactly leading by example, either.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Generally speaking, it's not brought up often enough; as the fact he was implicated in the Hoyzer match fixing scandal was buried by the DFB and only came to light in later years due to investigative reporting, while Zwayer had been climbing up the career ladder into Bundesliga.
Other high profile referees have publicly spoken out against what they perceive as puzzling favouritism of the DFB refereeing bodies towards Zwayer, who on top of his history of corruption (which should obviously exclude him from ever refereeing again) has not been a consistent performer and reliably good referee (they are assuming the DFB is cultivating a yes-man who owes them due to the break they gave him). It's a scandal that has lingered on since years, and in the meanwhile Zwayer keeps getting promoted (with Brych now having to retire from international duty he's now probably the no 1 German referee, which is just baffling).

So it's definitively a topic to get riled up about, just not, as you rightly point out, as an excuse for Dortmund losing or for claiming Bayern being advantaged..
It sounds more like Zwayer knows where the figurative bodies are buried, and DFB is keeping him happy to keep that quiet. Maybe he knows things that could implicate others who are still involved in DFB that would be incriminating or embarrassing.

With Bellingham and Dortmund bringing it up, maybe it brings more focus to the issue and forces the governing body to respond and finally ban him. I'm surprised it's not a regular occurrence after contentious matches given his history of corruption. It's one thing for coaches and players to undermine confidence in referees, but it's another for them to accurately point out that one of the most prominent referees is known to be corrupt. As broken as the FA is, I can't imagine the FA allowing a referee to still work if he or she had been caught match fixing.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Insane that someone convicted of match fixing is allowed to ref a top level game.

Kinda nice to see that other nations governing bodies are as useless as ours though.

yamo123x

Bellingham trying to divert blame from his own performance. Dortmund didn’t get rub of the green , but Jude was diving and cheating himself,and should have been sent off

backpass

He was by far the most annoying player on the field. The attitude he was showing should bring in senior players sorting him out. Diving, whining, permanent complaining. One time he flails near death on the ground AGAIN, sees his mates play on, jumps up and runs like hell. Maybe Im a bit allergic to this kind of players, but this game was a prime example how a young player should not behave.

Also, letting a very young player go to the post match interview, when it seems they should know he is not capable of controling himself, is reflecting badly on Dortmunds coaching staff and senior players, they let him down.

I expect a better structure and clear rules regarding post match interviews from such a big club.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think there is a pattern of big(ger) club bias that constantly benefits Bayern in close situations and yesterday was another case in point. But accusations of match fixing aren't warranted and were unprofessional from Bellingham.

I think it's good that Zwayer is finally getting the headline attention that he deserves, but the fact that it needed an 18 year old lad from England to get there is proof that the press, DFB and Zwayer's colleagues have failed.

Matt007a

While he isn’t lying about the referees past, it never comes across well if you’ve just lost a game and decide to complain about it after having not mentioned it before kick off. It’ll always come across as sour grapes, whether it is or not.

He’s a very mature man for his age but he’ll make mistakes like everyone does in their early career. I’m sure the Dortmund PR team will be having words with him.

Foxbatt

Players who fixed matches are suspended for a long time. Officials should be suspended for life. But here they are involved in top league sports. Disgraceful.

bosskeano

Why would he be when he's speaking the truth and he earns so much anyway? What's a few thousands to him in fines and compensation (if he lost)?
come on....you think he's going to get away with that talking about a ref?? and especially in germany? i'll be SHOCKED if he doesn't get suspended by the league

Siezard

come on....you think he's going to get away with that talking about a ref?? and especially in germany? i'll be SHOCKED if he doesn't get suspended by the league
I don't think he will be suspended. At most he will be banned or suspended for a few games.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
His interview was completely out of line and i would be suprised if he isn’t suspended. He was clearly implying that the referee has fixed the game again.