Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Your logic is completely flawed. The Q and A are both simple. You are simply ignoring the fact that we all have to play every team both at home and away, so with direct competitors for Top 4 would you prefer your remaining game against them to be at home or away. I really don't need to answer that. Or shouldn't.
Well I guess we will have to just wait and see. Remember that in the first half you have only played us at home in the supposed "big" team list and you didn't beat us.

Rafateria

Well I guess we will have to just wait and see. Remember that in the first half you have only played us at home in the supposed "big" team list and you didn't beat us.
There you go. Proving my point for me. You much prefer that our game against you is going to be at OT and not Anfield don't you :D

AXVnee7

It is rather weird but better than if we had back to back games vs. Top 6/8 teams. And then we finish with this below (as has been posted). If we stay in or around the top through that tough run then you'd expect us to pick up a lot of points from these games and remain, at least, in the Top 4 :

Everton (h)
Bournemouth (h)
Stoke (a)
West Brom (a)
Palace (h)
Watford (a)
Southampton (h)
West Ham (a)
Boro (h)
My hope is that it is enough to derail your title bid. What happens from then on I don't mind as I think you'll get 3rd at worst.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
@Rafateria who were the 20 players you sold in the summer that would have bolstered your squad to the extent that you'd be able to compete domestically and in europe?

By my count you had 6 in and 14 out, netting you 8 out. Amongst the 14 out were 7 players with fewer than 10 league appearances of any kind, and 1 who had managed fewer than 5 in the previous two seasons:

Jordan Rossiter - 1 League Appearance
Jose Enrique - 4 League Appearances previous two seasons
Samed Yesil - 0 League Appearances
Joao Teixera - 2 League Appearances
Jerome Sinclair - 2 League Appearances
Sergi Canos - 1 League Appearance
Brad Smith - 5 League Appearances
Luis Alberto - 9 League Appearances

You've also loaned out 9 players, only 3 of which have any real first team experience, and even then they're not exactly good enough to be bolstering a European side:

Ryan Fulton - 0 League Appearances (currently in League One)
Danny Ward - 2 League Appearances (currently in SPL)
Adam Bogdan - 2 League Appearances (currently in Championship)
Ryan Kent - 0 League Appearances (currently in League One)
Jon Flanagan - 40 League Appearances (currently at Burnley, made 4 League Appearances)
Allan - 0 League Appearances (currently in Bundesliga, made 8 Appearances for Hertha BSC)
Taiwo Awoniyi - 0 League Appearances (currently in Eredivisie, made 10 League Appearances for NEC)
Andre Wisdom - 14 League Appearances (currently in Austrian Bundesliga, made 4 League Appearances for RB Salzburg)
Lazar Markovic - 19 League Appearances (currently in Primeira Liga, made 6 League Appearances for Sporting)

Had you kept the players with first team experience (Enrique notwithstanding), qualified for Europe, and relied on your current squad being 'bolstered' by Martin Skrtel, Kolo Toure, Jordan Ibe, Christian Benteke, Mario Balotelli, Joe Allen, Jon Flanagan, Andre Wisdom and Lazar Markovic, then you'd find that your strength in depth still wasn't that great.

I'm all for acknowledging that when it works, Liverpool's attack can be devastating, and without the distractions of European football, a title challenge is a possibility, but even without your departures, your strength in depth is poor. There is nothing at all inane or daft about suggesting your absence from European competition is helping you this season, because it was one of the main factors in your prolonged freshness in 2013/14.

arthurka

He's been a massive improvement on skrtel as backup
Yes that I can agree on.. Both CB looked good yesterday.. Lovren was on fire but Klavan did very well in 2nd half.. But Everton didn't offer much going forward..

Rafateria

@Rafateria who were the 20 players you sold in the summer that would have bolstered your squad to the extent that you'd be able to compete domestically and in europe?

By my count you had 6 in and 14 out, netting you 8 out. Amongst the 14 out were 7 players with fewer than 10 league appearances of any kind, and 1 who had managed fewer than 5 in the previous two seasons:

Jordan Rossiter - 1 League Appearance
Jose Enrique - 4 League Appearances previous two seasons
Samed Yesil - 0 League Appearances
Joao Teixera - 2 League Appearances
Jerome Sinclair - 2 League Appearances
Sergi Canos - 1 League Appearance
Brad Smith - 5 League Appearances
Luis Alberto - 9 League Appearances

You've also loaned out 9 players, only 3 of which have any real first team experience, and even then they're not exactly good enough to be bolstering a European side:

Ryan Fulton - 0 League Appearances (currently in League One)
Danny Ward - 2 League Appearances (currently in SPL)
Adam Bogdan - 2 League Appearances (currently in Championship)
Ryan Kent - 0 League Appearances (currently in League One)
Jon Flanagan - 40 League Appearances (currently at Burnley, made 4 League Appearances)
Allan - 0 League Appearances (currently in Bundesliga, made 8 Appearances for Hertha BSC)
Taiwo Awoniyi - 0 League Appearances (currently in Eredivisie, made 10 League Appearances for NEC)
Andre Wisdom - 14 League Appearances (currently in Austrian Bundesliga, made 4 League Appearances for RB Salzburg)
Lazar Markovic - 19 League Appearances (currently in Primeira Liga, made 6 League Appearances for Sporting)

Had you kept the players with first team experience (Enrique notwithstanding), qualified for Europe, and relied on your current squad being 'bolstered' by Martin Skrtel, Kolo Toure, Jordan Ibe, Christian Benteke, Mario Balotelli, Joe Allen, Jon Flanagan, Andre Wisdom and Lazar Markovic, then you'd find that your strength in depth still wasn't that great.

I'm all for acknowledging that when it works, Liverpool's attack can be devastating, and without the distractions of European football, a title challenge is a possibility, but even without your departures, your strength in depth is poor. There is nothing at all inane or daft about suggesting your absence from European competition is helping you this season, because it was one of the main factors in your prolonged freshness in 2013/14.
I'm not at all suggesting that our absence from Euro competitions is not helping us - quite to the contrary, it was one of the reasons I gave pre-season for my tipping Chelsea for the title and ourselves for Top 4.

I was including the loanees in that figure as they do inflate a squad and still cost us salaries ! I didn't differentiate between those having 1st team experience and those not (weird though - I feel sure Ryan Kent has first teams sub appearances. I'll need to check that now, damn you !). Obviously 20 is a massive figure if coming from experienced first team squad only - hopefully that isn't what I inferred. Just that we had a massive clear-out. Well done for listing them - I couldn't be arsed to go and find the list again ! Hence why I said 'roughly' as I couldn't remember the exact figures.

What undoubtedly would have happened (if we were in a Euro competition) is that our Net Negative Spend in the Summer would have been more like 100m - 150m positive (the logical figures touted as being available) and that Klopp would have brought in maybe 4-5 more players and maybe not sold the likes of Allen or let Toure go on a free. There would have been a much deeper squad than the minimalist one we have at present (I still think we have decent like for like cover but it can get very thin with a few injuries).

Last edited:

Rafateria

Yes that I can agree on.. Both CB looked good yesterday.. Lovren was on fire but Klavan did very well in 2nd half.. But Everton didn't offer much going forward..
I had Lovren down as my MotM (Klavan 2nd) but interestingly on the poll across 6/7 different Liverpool fan forums that is held after each match, Klavan was leading the voting last time I looked.

Rafateria

Lovren played well because he didn't really have anyone to mark. He pretty much played as an additional midfielder seeing as Everton only played with Lakaku as a lone striker.
If that refers to Barkley then you're right :D However Lukaku spent as much time on the left as the right and was covered very well by both CBs. He did spent an inordinate amount of time in midfield too though.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I honestly don't get that. Most teams we've played, our attacking quality has blown them away. We're playing some of the best attacking football I've seen from us in yonks.

What games have you seen? Burnley, United, West Ham and Everton? These are the only games I can think of where we've been a bit dull.
You have the worst 2 goal keepers in the league. Your defence also honks and the squad depth is just not there for me. The team is average and i think thevonly way it will get top 4 is through Spurs or United being worse. I can see liverpool dropping more than a few points, maybe im wrong but time will tell.

Rafateria

You have the worst 2 goal keepers in the league. Your defence also honks and the squad depth is just not there for me. The team is average and i think thevonly way it will get top 4 is through Spurs or United being worse. I can see liverpool dropping more than a few points, maybe im wrong but time will tell.
Hmmm let's see ... hyperbole, hyperbole and ..... yes, that would be hyperbole. Poster not to be taken seriously, serious WUM.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
I did not understand why they sold Joe Allen. I also did not understand why nobody bigger than Stoke went after him, including some from the continent after his excellent Euros. Guess a classic case of judging a book by its cover. Everything else Klopp did in the summer was very good business.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I agree with the keeper situ, obviously. Our defence is, I think, decent, with the capacity for a howler of a game in them. Not memorable, but good enough that I think we'll have a decent number of clean sheets at the end of the season and wont be undone as often as under rodgers by this.

Further forward, we are anything but average though. Mane is terrific, Firmino, though off form the past 2-3 games, is acing it as some sort of false-9-kuyt-bergkamp mutant hybrid, playing the role like no one else. Lallana has come leaps and bounds this season and being Lallana and English is the main reason he is still underrated. Coutinho was up there with the best in the league before he got injured. Wijnaldum has been a rich man's Joe Allen.

None of them have been average and it shows in the level they've played it individually and collective. We've been tearing teams apart more often than not.

This is why I say there is cognitive dissonance. You highlight some weaknesses, completely ignore the strengths and actual quality that has been on display and conclude the team is average. We've played way better footie than you have so far and it's been great to watc, so I don't really know how you've concluded that the only way we will finish above you is if you are even worse than us. We're the opposite of bad so far. It is not about who is worse. You will need to get better to keep up.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I did not understand why they sold Joe Allen. I also did not understand why nobody bigger than Stoke went after him, including some from the continent after his excellent Euros. Guess a classic case of judging a book by its cover. Everything else Klopp did in the summer was very good business.
I really rate Joe and think he is coming into his best years. Think there would have been a place for him. Can't call it wrong to sell though when Wijnaldum has improved on him already, by being less of a shrinking violet and more assertive on the ball.

Don't think they are worlds apart though.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
This is why I say there is cognitive dissonance. You highlight some weaknesses, completely ignore the strengths and actual quality that has been on display and conclude the team is average. We've played way better footie than you have so far and it's been great to watc, so I don't really know how you've concluded that the only way we will finish above you is if you are even worse than us. We're the opposite of bad so far. It is not about who is worse. You will need to get better to keep up.
Absolutely this. Lallana, Firmino, Coutinho, Mane, Henderson etc may not be huge names - but they're some of the best players in the league right now (best attack in terms of goals scored), no matter what their previous reputations have been. That's why we're second, not because we've been lucky, or because other teams are under performing.

Last edited:

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Yernited, not only do we have our corrupt mittens on the FA, but now also the UK police.

montpelier

The nightclub's pet newt has provoked him, and getting into the car is an act of self defence?

And Dirk Kuyt says he was sober.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
What an idiot. We all know he won't go to prison though. Footballers always get away with this sort of thing.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'm a bit impressed how Scouse manage to win game after game despite not having their best players available. Their spirit really is amazing. Jurgen is the star!

Chelsea winning the league would put Mourinho in a very bad spotlight, Scouse winning it for the first time not good, can't stand the bald man Guardiola and it's City after all, has to be Arsenal, but it's Arsenal...
we're doomed...

Xeno

No one goes to prison for DD. Driving while disqualified you might, but that's because you're pissing on the court's punishment rather than the actual offence. Which is a shame, as it's potentially a much more serious incident than say speeding at 110+ which often leads to a custodial.

EmPeeKay

Hey, leave the guy alone! He probably couldn't even physically walk anymore, how the hell was he supposed to get home?:confused:

He probably got done for swearing at the police rather than drink driving:

"I did not have one cnut, Mr. Drinkstable!"