Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

montpelier

Well, it's interesting, And I think Sunday is now a very big game for both sides.

Utd don't want LFC getting any further ahead, LFC need a win actually to stop Chelesea looking like they are over the hill & away (I think Chelsea are not going to be caught by Utd - some do not agree with this). I would then go on to say LFC maybe need to actually win on Sunday more than Utd do. Obviously Utd are in decent form whereas LFC not so much, but that might be slightly misleading...

LFC beat City & play less than 48rs later - 4pts from those games is fine, the win/draw the other way about & everything is fine. Then it's weakened teams in Cup games, faffig about they could do without before the BIG ONE, or they might be in a genuinely dreadful slump & all confidence has drained right away. I would suspect not tbh, they ought to be up for Sunday.

Draw seems obvious. And is more use to us (Utd) than them, for me.

Last edited:

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
It's very little pace in that team bar Mane, isnt it? I mean, perhaps Clyne got some kind of pace about him but the rest of the starting XI is painfully slow.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Think this is the high time for ol' time Liverpool management to get players rilled up. Send letters to their mums.

Quizierda

Klopp is a brilliant coach and he has always been able to fuel his sides with spirit. I am expecting the Scousers to be on fire (like always against us tbf..) no matter what their last results have been.

Good thing for us is that Mané is at AFCON and Coutinho is still not really match fit. This will harm their offensive play heavily.

Djemba-Djemba

Klopp is a brilliant coach and he has always been able to fuel his sides with spirit. I am expecting the Scousers to be on fire (like always against us tbf..) no matter what their last results have been.

Good thing for us is that Mané is at AFCON and Coutinho is still not really match fit. This will harm their offensive play heavily.
I've seen a few Utd fans say something like that. Where does it come from?

Our record against Liverpool is good, especially at Old Trafford. They've beat us twice there in over 10 years, and one of those was when Moyes was manager so barely counts.

Is it just nerves before the game?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
It's very little pace in that team bar Mane, isnt it? I mean, perhaps Clyne got some kind of pace about him but the rest of the starting XI is painfully slow.
It is an issue that we're going to have problems with whilst Mane is away. I'm hoping we sign someone this month.

BorisDeLeFora

He needs to change something, have come up against three fairly strong defensive units/performances (Plymouth yes indeed) and there has been very limited chances created, decent openings created, periods of pressure where it looked like the team might actually break a defence down.

United shgould set up just like they did at the Anfield game, sit back and wait for the opportunities, because Liverpool don't look like breaking anyone down at the moment.

Although after two wild strikes yesterday Coutinho is slightly closer to his next wonder goal.

Rafateria

Pace in a football team isn't always about how fast one player can run, actually Mane doesn't go all out that much - often being chided on LFC forums for not using his pace more. Pace is more importantly how a team breaks away and a lot of that is down to technical ability & control, accurate passing and numbers. We often seem to break with 3 or 4 players, staying in control of the ball and utilising space well, and this can over-power a defence, regardless of the pace of any one individual, the ball is always faster ;)

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Clyne is not that fast.

Origi is absolutely rapid though. Good chance he might start.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Our record against Liverpool is good, especially at Old Trafford. They've beat us twice there in over 10 years, and one of those was when Moyes was manager so barely counts.

I think it's things people say or hear from pundits and therefore take it as truth.

I kept hearing Chelsea fans say "Three Point Lane" before our match against them despite the fact they've beaten us once there in something like 12 years.

VanGaalEra

Sure. Starting them without any match fitness would be a good idea.

I'm going to regret this, ain't i?
Henderson shouldn't have a problem match fitness wise, he last played the same day Zlatan did.

Matip won't be fully match fit as he's been out for 4-5 weeks.

Mountainstomolehills

Supports
Liverpool
Well.........at least we've got 'nomentum' going into this one!

I was hoping for a convincing win at Old Trafford, now I'd just be happy with Liverpool scraping it 3 - 0... ..

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I kept hearing Chelsea fans say "Three Point Lane" before our match against them despite the fact they've beaten us once there in something like 12 years.
You appear to be mildly delusional. We've beaten you there 5 times since 2005.

http://www.11v11.com/teams/chelsea/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Tottenham Hotspur/

The 3 point lane thing however comes from a longer term period where you've only beaten us 7 times since 1990 in all competitions including a period of 12 years where you won precisely zero games against us.

Alexrad

Supports
Red Star Belgrade
That's why Blind on LB will be pretty good for us, he can create so much more than Darmian and he won't be exposed for pace. When he plays Martial has more space to operate which adds another dimension to our attack. Add Mkhi on the right and suddenly their defence has to cover more space than if one of those plyers is not on the pitch. With all respect to Mata, when he plays on the right his lack of pace allows defenders to set up differently and cover other areas better, limiting our other players somewhat. Having pace on both wings will also open more room for Zlatan and Pogba centrally. The way they defend really begs from us to attack the weakness.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

I remember many occasions where they were in a rut and then just happened to play us, up their game and we came out looking like twats because we were so confident we were going to win so it pays never, ever to be confident in a game against Liverpool.

Even if their starting XI were all paraplegics I'd still bet on them playing a blinder just because it was us. Form and squad quality go completely out of the window.

Plus, in general it pays never to be over-confident because at some point you're always gonna look like a twat when it inevitably backfires.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I remember many occasions where they were in a rut and then just happened to play us, up their game and we came out looking like twats because we were so confident we were going to win so it pays never, ever to be confident in a game against Liverpool.

Even if their starting XI were all paraplegics I'd still bet on them playing a blinder just because it was us. Form and squad quality go completely out of the window.

Plus, in general it pays never to be over-confident because at some point you're always gonna look like a twat when it inevitably backfires.
This is so true.

Djemba-Djemba

I think too many have been the opposite of over-confident though and are shit scared for some reason.

Theres nothing wrong with being nervous, I always am before these sorts of games, but it's this weird idea some Utd fans have that we always struggle against Liverpool. It's just not true.

I think it's people trying to lower their expectations so any bad result on Sunday won't hurt as much. It's fair enough, but at the same time being confident that Utd will win isn't arrogance I don't think.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I get all the pessimism on both sides given the bragging rights at stake and being all too aware how it feels when we lose.

However, when people talk about how up for it Liverpool will be, it doesn't also mean that our own players won't be equally up for it.

Jose and the players know what a big result a win would be in this game and so I doubt any of them will be taking this game lightly or assuming it will be easy.

We've been very good at home this season even in games where we dropped points and I'm expecting the lads to give Liverpool a very hard game. I also expect funny legs Henderson will start and will do something (likely his pretend hard-man stare) in the first few minutes that will make me dislike him even more than I already do.

Rafateria

However, when people talk about how up for it Liverpool will be, it doesn't also mean that our own players won't be equally up for it.............
Klopp actually gets upset if the team play too aggressively and forget tactics. He's mentioned this a few times poat-match, against Everton in the first half I think was the last time. He will actually be trying to keep their heads cool. Play hard, play at pace but at all times stay cool and keep to the game plan at all times will be his pre-match speech. It's so easy not too in United vs Liverpool matches.

montpelier

I would suggest that LFC generally play better at OT than Utd do at Anfield. I can recall a few times LFC played well & got nothing out of the game, certainly.

Not so much in the last 10 years perhaps. Crap wins I would have at about even & the away side doesn't normally get much off of the referee though exceptions to that seem a little more commonplace these days - Utd have even had a penalty or two at Anfield after 35 years without a sausage, so you never know.

What is the Premier League H-T-H looking like theses days? On paper Utd should be massively ahead in that. They were spawny in the Murphy games though, that's for sure.

NK86

Pace in a football team isn't always about how fast one player can run, actually Mane doesn't go all out that much - often being chided on LFC forums for not using his pace more. Pace is more importantly how a team breaks away and a lot of that is down to technical ability & control, accurate passing and numbers. We often seem to break with 3 or 4 players, staying in control of the ball and utilising space well, and this can over-power a defence, regardless of the pace of any one individual, the ball is always faster ;)
Agree. However Mane was one which would force our defense not to press too high up the pitch since a simple through ball or a ball over the top could undo us with his pace. With his absence, it will be difficult for you to do so.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You appear to be mildly delusional. We've beaten you there 5 times since 2005.

http://www.11v11.com/teams/chelsea/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Tottenham Hotspur/

The 3 point lane thing however comes from a longer term period where you've only beaten us 7 times since 1990 in all competitions including a period of 12 years where you won precisely zero games against us.
Sorry I guess I overshot by 2 years.

What I should have said is you've taken 3 points at the Lane once in the last decade.

I understand where it came from, but like I said 3 points in a decade doesn't exactly make calling it 3 point lane sensible and then losing 2-0 doesn't make it any better.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Sorry I guess I overshot by 2 years.

What I should have said is you've taken 3 points at the Lane once in the last decade.

I understand where it came from, but like I said 3 points in a decade doesn't exactly make calling it 3 point lane sensible and then losing 2-0 doesn't make it any better.
1 win each for the season. For the decider let's see who finishes higher in the table. :p

Rafateria

Agree. However Mane was one which would force our defense not to press too high up the pitch since a simple through ball or a ball over the top could undo us with his pace. With his absence, it will be difficult for you to do so.
Yeah we don't really have anyone with that sort of pace .. Origi perhaps and Ojo who of course won't figure. Origi will probably start though.

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
IF. IF we have Henderson and Matip back that would be HUGE!

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Playing them without match sharpness could also be very interesting, especially Matip who has been out for longer.
Henderson played 2 weeks ago, he should be fine. Matip will def lack match sharpness. I doubt he will start.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
He needs to change something, have come up against three fairly strong defensive units/performances (Plymouth yes indeed) and there has been very limited chances created, decent openings created, periods of pressure where it looked like the team might actually break a defence down.

United shgould set up just like they did at the Anfield game, sit back and wait for the opportunities, because Liverpool don't look like breaking anyone down at the moment.

Although after two wild strikes yesterday Coutinho is slightly closer to his next wonder goal.
I really don't think we should if that means having 35% possession, 4 touches in their box and 1 shot on goal. We're not going to not lose our way back up the table, we need to be going for the 3 points here.

We're lucky to be playing them with no Mané (no replacement signed either) Coutinho has only played a few minutes of the last 2 months and didn't look sharp at all. Henderson and Matip are their leaders in midfield and defence and both have been Injured, Matip out for 5 weeks, would be a huge ask for him to come back in to start at OT after 1 training session so they're left with Klaven or Lucas who Ibra will love playing against.

José has often played for the draw away to rivals but tries to win the home game as obviously 4 points v 1 point against your rivals will see you in a good position in the table. I fully expect us to go out there the way we have played last few weeks, they're the ones that should be worried about us when they're coming to our home. Mourinho said he wants more from us, then give us something to cheer about, don't surrender the ball and put 11 men in our half.

Rafateria

I really don't think we should if that means having 35% possession, 4 touches in their box and 1 shot on goal. We're not going to not lose our way back up the table, we need to be going for the 3 points here.

We're lucky to be playing them with no Mané (no replacement signed either) Coutinho has only played a few minutes of the last 2 months and didn't look sharp at all. Henderson and Matip are their leaders in midfield and defence and both have been Injured, Matip out for 5 weeks, would be a huge ask for him to come back in to start at OT after 1 training session so they're left with Klaven or Lucas who Ibra will love playing against.
Matip will have had 4-5 full sessions by the time Sunday comes around. Still a huge ask but I'd risk him, he's that good and that classy. Take him off after 60 mins if he's flagging - not that CBs run half as much as MFs or attackers ;)

Not at all worried about Coutinho - contrary to your opinion I was very encouraged by what I saw, he took control, showed how keen he was, bags of energy, went past players with excellent close control and most importantly used vision to spread the ball wide and into dangerous areas. Yes his shooting was wayward but then it often has been .. until it hits the back of the net.

Last edited:

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
I read Matip was only back in training today, doubt he'll have more than 1 or 2 full sessions with the rest of the squad as they'll be given a rest before Sunday. I thought Milner and Clyne looked very tired yesterday, if you had any good backup they could get a rest but you don't. They prob run the most of any position in your team, and while they're both extremely fit they have to slow down at some stage of the season. Martial has just come into form at the right time to rip your defense apart I feel.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Rashford/Martial against Milner playing left back would be interesting
Why? Genuine question. Milner hasn't really been dominated by pace all season. In fact, as full backs go, not many in the league have been more consistent.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Playing them without match sharpness could also be very interesting, especially Matip who has been out for longer.
Henderson will be match sharp. Should be anyway. Not playing over an FA Cup weekend doesn't eliminate match fitness - he should actually be well rested. Matip mightn't be ready, though.