Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Oaencha

I don't think he's that far wrong.

If The Europa League didn't offer a backdoor qualification in to the Champions League, I'd not really be interested in us putting all our eggs into the EL basket, and I bet Jose wouldn't either. In that scenario, finishing 4th would be more valuable overall than finishing 6th, winning the League Cup and Europa League IMO.

Finishing 4th just about grants the same prize as winning the EL. That's why we've gone all out to win it. We absolutely would not have done if not for that incentive on offer.

We can joke about a bus parade for finishing 4th, but I'm pretty certain we won't be parading the Europe League and League Cup trophies around.
Not exactly. Winning the EL gives you a bye into the group stages and coming 4th means you have to battle through the qualifiers. Plus winning obviously gets you a trophy.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Not exactly. Winning the EL gives you a bye into the group stages and coming 4th means you have to battle through the qualifiers. Plus winning obviously gets you a trophy.
Whilst I'd much rather win the EL every year than finish 4th every year, winning the EL doesn't necessarily get you straight into the group stages. It at least guarantees you a place in the final qualifying round, and with certain circumstances, would see you placed in the group stages.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
And we wouldn't be parading a 4th place finish either.

Finishing 4th once every few years or so is meaningless. No one remembers that we finished 4th that year under Van Gaal.

Trophies please.
Never said we would parade a 4th place finish.

IMO there are only two trophies that really matter currently. The league title, and the Champions League.

FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup don't come close, and the latter is only worth going all out for because of the Champions League qualification, which is equal to finishing in the top 4.

Managers have often stated that summer recruitment is dependent on CL qualification, many players are quoted saying they want to be playing in it the next season. Whilst you're right that nobody remembers who finished 4th in such-and-such year, a CL qualification can sometimes be the difference between signing a decent player or a very good player, as well as keeping your best players. There are exceptions of course, and United have defied that (most probably because of the wages it can pay) but a lot of the best players want to be playing in it and expect to be playing in it. A Champions League qualification can very much be a platform for moving forwards. Liverpool for example, I believe their summer recruitment will be very different if they end up finishing 5th instead of 4th. I don't see top players joining them without CL football on offer.

I personally think finishing 4th will hugely important to Liverpool, and I'd bet any Liverpool fan would prefer that to winning the League Cup or FA Cup this season.

If Liverpool qualify for the CL, and we lose the EL final, have we had a better season than them because we won the League Cup? I wouldn't say so.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
That's like saying that wanking off to Natalie Portman's photos is like having a sexual intercourse with her.
But should you brag, if you have to do it from memory, cause you don´t even have pictures? United have scored 12 less goals than under Moyes. :nervous: This is only masked by the fact that United might crawl over the EuroLeague finish line in the worst edition of the competition in the last 20 years.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Why ever not?
Do you think we will? We didn't parade the League Cup in 2010. We haven't ever won the Europa League so there's not a time to compare it to. It's a trophy that doesn't particularly have reputation that matches the ambitions of the club. It's not an elite competition, it is a tier below. Chelsea didn't parade it when they won it. I'd be incredibly surprised if we did.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Do you think we will? We didn't parade the League Cup in 2010. We haven't ever won the Europa League so there's not a time to compare it to. It's a trophy that doesn't particularly have reputation that matches the ambitions of the club. It's not an elite competition, it is a tier below. Chelsea didn't parade it when they won it. I'd be incredibly surprised if we did.
How many players can only dream of lifting such a trophy in their lifetime. It´s the 3rd biggest trophy you can win in European club football after your national title and the Champions League. You must be farkin dead inside as a player, if you cannot celebrate that. I´d rather have a player that takes joy from winning it than some pretentious arsehole that acts like the competition is beneath him.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Well Liverpool have finished in the top 4 once since 2009 and have won 1 trophy since 2006. The desperate lack of success at that club means another top 4 finish would indeed be as good as a trophy.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
How many players can only dream of lifting such a trophy in their lifetime. It´s the 3rd biggest trophy you can win in European club football after your national title and the Champions League. You must be farkin dead inside as a player, if you cannot celebrate that. I´d rather have a player that takes joy from winning it than some pretentious arsehole that acts like the competition is beneath him.
I think there's a major difference between celebrating a trophy and parading it through the city. The players will undoubtedly celebrate it on the pitch/podium after the game, run around the pitch with it, wear it as a hat and all that jovial stuff, and quite rightly, because it is a major trophy.

I could very well be wrong, but I just cannot see United parading the Europa League trophy around town on a bus - if we win it. Based on previous parades, that is reserved for elite trophies. League titles and the Champions League. The EL is a major trophy, but it's a fair distance behind a league title or the CL.

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
It's small time but if he does achieve Champions League with that squad and with injuries to Henderson and Mane who missed the last couple of months, then fair play to him. I'd say he's done well this season if does get them into Top 4. Anything below is a failure.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The only time I'd think coming fourth is worthy of a trophy is in an orgy with Natalie Portman, Blake Lively and Rachel Riley.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
It's small time but if he does achieve Champions League with that squad and with injuries to Henderson and Mane who missed the last couple of months, then fair play to him. I'd say he's done well this season if does get them into Top 4. Anything below is a failure.
You missed the bit about playing half as many games as everyone else since Xmas, which is the main contributing factor.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Does that exclude the 11 games we played in January (to United's 10 that Mourinho was moaning about) ?
We've played more games overall than you though, what about April when we had a game every few days and you had 4 or 5? At the end of the day considering how few games Liverpool have played you've had a stinker of a season.

Rafateria

We've played more games overall than you though, what about April when we had a game every few days and you had 4 or 5? At the end of the day considering how few games Liverpool have played you've had a stinker of a season.
Ah the RC King of One-Liners (40+ words, got to be close to a record for you) shows his face. Complete with absurd hyperbole. Zzz.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Does that exclude the 11 games we played in January (to United's 10 that Mourinho was moaning about) ?
Oh come on!

We have played, what, 37 games in the second half of the season, you have played 19 in the PL and out of all the cups, so 20 odd.

You played 1 game more than us in January, big deal, that 1 extra game meant the difference between going out of all the cups and staying in them?

Really?

Rafateria

Oh come on!

We have played, what, 37 games in the second half of the season, you have played 19 in the PL and out of all the cups, so 20 odd.

You played 1 game more than us in January, big deal, that 1 extra game meant the difference between going out of all the cups and staying in them?

Really?
Not what I was saying but do carry on ;)

BTW both Liverpool (last season) and United (this season) will have played over 60 games by the end of the season.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Ah the RC King of One-Liners (40+ words, got to be close to a record for you) shows his face. Complete with absurd hyperbole. Zzz.
It's ok Rafa, I won't take your attempt at wit personally, especially considering a mute child could come up with better. I'm content with how pathetically reaching most scousers are when it comes to trying to prove something, I hope you enjoyed your trophyless season and your deluded manager, it will continue for many years to come. Top 4 isn't a victory when you have nothing else to show for it, no matter how hard you want to believe finishing above us whilst being knocked out of every cup actually means anything.

Rafateria

It's ok Rafa, I won't take your attempt at wit personally, especially considering a mute child could come up with better. I'm content with how pathetically reaching most scousers are when it comes to trying to prove something, I hope you enjoyed your trophyless season and your deluded manager, it will continue for many years to come. Top 4 isn't a victory when you have nothing else to show for it, no matter how hard you want to believe finishing above us whilst being knocked out of every cup actually means anything.
That is such a typical Schmiznurf post. No intelligent content, just a poor attempt at WUMming.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I checked in 2 sites which says Liverpool played 4 league games, 3 FA cup games and 2 League cup games in Jan. That means Liverpool played 9 games.

Not sure where you got "11 games" from. Also when Liverpool had to play so many games, they won only 1 in 9 in Jan.

Rafateria

Liverpool will share their success with young fans – by giving them a £75 reward.

The club has announced that season-ticket holders aged between 17 and 21 will share a £20,000 prize fund for topping the Fair Play table.

The Reds last won it in 2015 and that cash was distributed to around 300 young fans by offering them a discount on season tickets.

Now the club is set to top the league again after recording the fewest disciplinary points this season, pipping Swansea City to the honour.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Liverpool will share their success with young fans – by giving them a £75 reward.

The club has announced that season-ticket holders aged between 17 and 21 will share a £20,000 prize fund for topping the Fair Play table.

The Reds last won it in 2015 and that cash was distributed to around 300 young fans by offering them a discount on season tickets.

Now the club is set to top the league again after recording the fewest disciplinary points this season, pipping Swansea City to the honour.
The Fair Play league, another victory for Klopp! That's 2 cups in 1 season then? Makes United's performance start to pale.

Rafateria

I checked in 2 sites which says Liverpool played 4 league games, 3 FA cup games and 2 League cup games in Jan. That means Liverpool played 9 games.

Not sure where you got "11 games" from. Also when Liverpool had to play so many games, they won only 1 in 9 in Jan.
You're right. I saw the 11 games in a newspaper somewhere. My mistake. One less than United. Of course we all know why January was so bad for us (Klopp's poor team selections in the Cups, Mane absence and an ever lengthening injury list of key players - injuries that are conveniently forgotten by United fans who, one could say hypocritically if they ignore Liverpool's, go on and on about their own injury list).

roonster09

Scout
You're right. I saw the 11 games in a newspaper somewhere. My mistake. One less than United. Of course we all know why January was so bad for us (Klopp's poor team selections in the Cups, Mane absence and an ever lengthening injury list of key players - injuries that are conveniently forgotten by United fans who, one could say hypocritically if they ignore Liverpool's, go on and on about their own injury list).
Not sure where you are going with your mini rant. Point was simple, Liverpool played many games in Jan and they suffered a lot with only 1 win in 9 games, that was against some league 2 team IIRC. ManUtd had similar or even horrible fixture list in the entire second half of the season.

Jarman

So the one month you are even close to having the same amount of games as us (one being a replay that was the whole of city of plymouths fault for fielding the whole population) we constantly hear Klopp complaint (and apparently you are still complaining) about. The best thing is you only won 1 game and 3 were freebies (Plymouth home + away and wolves) but mouriniho is talking rubbish of course. Next year you are going to have so many problems especially when you drop in europa.

Rafateria

Not sure where you are going with your mini rant. Point was simple, Liverpool played many games in Jan and they suffered a lot with only 1 win in 9 games, that was against some league 2 team IIRC. ManUtd had similar or even horrible fixture list in the entire second half of the season.
That's hardly a rant, mini or otherwise, especially for me ! Nobody said the second half of the season was not a fixture jam for United, pretty much identical to that we had last year, that's the penalty for doing well in the EL and domestic cups. Obviously a contributory factor in just 1 win in your last 7 games but hey you also played weakened teams - just as Klopp did in January - just not as weak.

Point was simple, many posters here use United's fixture and injury lists as excuses for PL league failure (one guy replied to a post of mine saying United would have finished well above us and in 2nd without the injuries), whilst ignoring the fact Liverpool had just as serious an injury list and were right there with Chelsea at the top before we lost many of our key players. I find that hypocritical and so will point it out.

Rafateria

Oh come on!

You've played 33 (not 37 as you stated) games to our 24 games (according to ESPN). Not a massive difference over 4.5 months is it. With a much bigger squad I might add.

roonster09

Scout
That's hardly a rant, mini or otherwise, especially for me ! Nobody said the second half of the season was not a fixture jam for United, pretty much identical to that we had last year, that's the penalty for doing well in the EL and domestic cups. Obviously a contributory factor in just 1 win in your last 7 games but hey you also played weakened teams - just as Klopp did in January - just not as weak.

Point was simple, many posters here use United's fixture and injury lists as excuses for PL league failure (one guy replied to a post of mine saying United would have finished well above us and in 2nd without the injuries), whilst ignoring the fact Liverpool had just as serious an injury list and were right there with Chelsea at the top before we lost many of our key players. I find that hypocritical and so will point it out.
You are also hypocrite then for saying Jose was moaning and on the other hand you are very supportive of Klopp's interview about fixture congestion.

On the actual topic, not sure how we would have done with out all the extra games as it's too much guess game, our finishing was woeful and let us down this season, something that needs serious addressing post season.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
You've played 33 (not 37 as you stated) games to our 24 games (according to ESPN). Not a massive difference over 4.5 months is it. With a much bigger squad I might add.
Since Boxing Day we have played 35 games compared to your 25. That's 21 weeks ago which equates to playing around 3150 minutes compared to your 2250, 40% more game time. In that time we have also had away trips to France, Russia and Belgium to deal with. The fatigue travelling causes and the total disruption to weekend match preparation time.

What's this about bigger squad anyway? We've got the same amount of players. Do you mean better?