Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Decent post. Problem with Klopp is he has no plan B.
Always said that.

In the end Results matter. If he does not win anything and manages to miss top 4, think he will quit rather be fired.
I don't think this matters for FSG at the moment. It's all about top 4 for this season, like last season. Next season is when he'll have to start delivering trophies. If he misses top 4 and wins League and FA cups, FSG won't be happy and the season will be seen as a failure. Still don't think there's a risk of Klopp getting the sack barring a total collapse, or his relationship with FSG going south. They're with him for the long haul

Ban

Did you just compare Jurgen Klopp to Sir Alex Ferguson? :lol:

FFS man, what are you taking?

Ferguson would win the league with that team.
This. Fergie was a master of winning the league even when not having the best squad in the league.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Is it only me or has anybody else noticed the massive increase of Liverpool/Klopp loving new members on here?

And no, he certainly is NOT an excellent manager. He's a one trick pony.
So Guardiola is not excellent too? :rolleyes:

Harold_Giles

Is it only me or has anybody else noticed the massive increase of Liverpool/Klopp loving new members on here?

I agree.

An excellent manager would not be setting up his back 5 with Mignolet, Lovren/Klavan, Moreno and Trent-Arnold as regulars in his 3rd season. A clueless manager would though.

He can't use the budget as an excuse, since he bought AOC for 40m, bid 60m for VVD and bought a 50m midfielder (that'll join next season). The lack of alternatives from VVD is just negligence. There are hundred of better defenders than Lovren/Klavan and probably dozens of defenders that are better than VVD. His priorities regarding the squad are just baffling.

They really are one lengthy Mane injury away from being a solid mid table club.

Long may this continue.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I agree.

An excellent manager would not be setting up his back 5 with Mignolet, Lovren/Klavan, Moreno and Trent-Arnold as regulars in his 3rd season. A clueless manager would though.

He can't use the budget as an excuse, since he bought AOC for 40m, bid 60m for VVD and bought a 50m midfielder (that'll join next season). The lack of alternatives from VVD is just negligence. There are hundred of better defenders than Lovren/Klavan and probably dozens of defenders that are better than VVD. His priorities regarding the squad are just baffling.

They really are one lengthy Mane injury away from being a solid mid table club.

Long may this continue.
This is a bit of a contradiction in my eyes. He's either an average manager that should be getting more out of the squad (meaning it's not an average squad), or he's a decent manager over performing with an average squad.

This same side plus a few new signings finished on 76 points last season. That's got to be due to Klopp being a decent manager or the squad not being as terrible as some say it is, hasn't it?

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
So Guardiola is not excellent too? :rolleyes:
Take nothing from what Klopp did at Dortmund. But many mangers have done some excellent things in the game but then lose their way. They seem to run out of ideas. Wenger being the perfect example. His teams in 98,2002 and 2004 are entitled to be compared to any team in English history.

Peanut Butter

The issue with Liverpool under Klopp is that they play swashbuckling yet brainless football. When it comes off against the likes of Arsenal, it looks great and the football world gets blown away by how exciting and attack minded they are.

But when intelligence and a bit of tactical nous is required, like against Sevilla or City when they're reduced to 10 men, Klopp hasn't got a Scooby Doo. He's clueless in this regard and keeps making the same errors over and over again.

He's a decent coach but will never be top tier like Mourinho, Pep and Ancelotti.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
The issue with Liverpool under Klopp is that they play swashbuckling yet brainless football. When it comes off against the likes of Arsenal, it looks great and the football world gets blown away by how exciting and attack minded they are.

But when intelligence and a bit of tactical nous is required, like against Sevilla or City when they're reduced to 10 men, Klopp hasn't got a Scooby Doo. He's clueless in this regard and keeps making the same errors over and over again.

He's a decent coach but will never be top tier like Mourinho, Pep and Ancelotti.
I really would have liked to have seen the impact Carlo or Pep could have had on a squad consisting of dross such as Markovic, Benteke and the same old defence. They would have been sacked imo. I won't even allow my brain to imagine Mourinho our gaffer so I'll skip over him.

Sad Chris

This is a bit of a contradiction in my eyes. He's either an average manager that should be getting more out of the squad (meaning it's not an average squad), or he's a decent manager over performing with an average squad.

This same side plus a few new signings finished on 76 points last season. That's got to be due to Klopp being a decent manager or the squad not being as terrible as some say it is, hasn't it?
I think your either-or lacks the most realistic choice:

The squad is the most unbalanced side in the PL. Above average attack, below average defense.

And that's exactly why he's not an exellent manager. A manager should be able to manage all areas of the game. A one trick pony player can still do a great job if he does one thing exceptionally well, but a manager whose managerial skills are just as lopsided as his squad can't be excellent imo.

AXVnee7

Fully agree with people saying Klopp is not in the top tier of current managers. Just makes me appreciate Mourinho a helluva lot more knowing there's a manager who can adapt his set up and tactics to the circumstances in which he finds himself. It also makes me appreciate that Jose decided to make our defence watertight first before turning his attention to our offense from last season till now.

Peanut Butter

I really would have liked to have seen the impact Carlo or Pep could have had on a squad consisting of dross such as Markovic, Benteke and the same old defence. They would have been sacked imo. I won't even allow my brain to imagine Mourinho our gaffer so I'll skip over him.
They only go to the big clubs mate so you don't need to worry on that one.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Those managers would have done something about the defence by now.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I don't think this matters for FSG at the moment. It's all about top 4 for this season, like last season. Next season is when he'll have to start delivering trophies. If he misses top 4 and wins League and FA cups, FSG won't be happy and the season will be seen as a failure. Still don't think there's a risk of Klopp getting the sack barring a total collapse, or his relationship with FSG going south. They're with him for the long haul
Just wait and see if Liverpool don't get max points from their next two matches.
Our lovable scousers will start shouting for Rafa.
Comedy of a club.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think your either-or lacks the most realistic choice:

The squad is the most unbalanced side in the PL. Above average attack, below average defense.

And that's exactly why he's not an exellent manager. A manager should be able to manage all areas of the game. A one trick pony player can still do a great job if he does one thing exceptionally well, but a manager whose managerial skills are just as lopsided as his squad can't be excellent imo.
That's the problem in a nutshell.

Klopp has spent £150m on players sinse he took over the job at Liverpool, bringing in a wealth of attacking talent in the process, but for reasons only known to himself he has entirely disregarded the defense, why? It makes no sense under any circumstances to build your team from the front, but to choose this route in a league as competitive as the prem is tantamount gross negligence. For me his job as Liverpool manager should be under extremely close scrutiny, in fact were I on the board at Liverpool I would have voted to veto the move for Chamberlain on the grounds that the team is already choc-full of attackers and adding another is simply overkill. I would then be questioning his ability to run a top flight football club.

Have no idea how he has gotten away with ignoring the defense for so long.

Harold_Giles

My initial point was that I dont think he's up there with the greatest of managers.
In fact, I think he's a good (but limited) manager, doing quite well with a team that has some very good attacking players.
A great manager would not be going into his 3rd season with the back 5 options that Klopp has.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Interesting that he's starting to come under a bit of pressure from pundits and the odd fan (insert own joke here) - I had a theory that the reason he committed himself to a club of Liverpool's level rather than pushing for a job at a top club was that he didn't want to be under the pressure that comes with managing a big club, who have expectations and you have to win trophies or you'll be canned. He didn't seem to react well under pressure during that final season at Dortmund, but at Liverpool his standing as a manager is beyond the current standing of Liverpool, in the sense that they are very lucky to have him and they must know it - he's free to do what he likes there and he'll still get sucked-off by all associated with Liverpool.

But if questions start to be asked of him outside the club, then we might get to see how he reacts this time to a bit of pressure...

Borat Sagdiyev

My join date predates Klopp's appointment by more than a year. And, just to let you know, thinking Klopp is a great manager doesn't invalidate my United fan card.

Yeah sure. 3 or 4 summers more and he'll get the team he wants.
Not saying they'll ever be challenging seriously for the title, just that Klopp is a good manager and ~3rd place finishes is near the upper bound of where we can expect them to land, all things considered.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The man is toss pot. Seriously the way he gets on with fourth officials etc, if that was Jose he'd be sent to the gallows.

I fecking hate that cnut. I actually dislike him more than Liverpool so it makes it that much sweeter when they don't win.

He's also a shit manager by the way. Fraud.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
My initial point was that I dont think he's up there with the greatest of managers.
In fact, I think he's a good (but limited) manager, doing quite well with a team that has some very good attacking players.
A great manager would not be going into his 3rd season with the back 5 options that Klopp has.
That's fair enough. His defensive signings haven't done enough to strengthen that area for sure.

Sad Chris

My join date predates Klopp's appointment by more than a year. And, just to let you know, thinking Klopp is a great manager doesn't invalidate my United fan card.
Thinking Klopp is a great manager invalidates your understanding of a manager's job in my book. What are the skills that make him seem excellent to you?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Thinking Klopp is a great manager invalidates your understanding of a manager's job in my book. What are the skills that make him seem excellent to you?
He finished ahead of Mourinho last season despite having a much worse squad.
Not that I'm saying he's on Mourinho's level, he's clearly not, but he's still a very good manager.

Borat Sagdiyev

He finished 4th last year with a massively substandard squad. We finished 6th -- that right there should tell you something. His characteristic high-pressing, high-tempo and liquid movement squeeze results out of squads that they have no business getting.

Is his style appropriate for a truly top-line squad? Probably not. But being able to elevate a ~7th place side into regular CL spot contention is a massive skill and a sign of an excellent manager, "in my book."

Sad Chris

He finished ahead of Mourinho last season despite having a much worse squad.
Not that I'm saying he's on Mourinho's level, he's clearly not, but he's still a very good manager.
First of all I'm criticizing him being called excellent.

Secondly you seriously compare Mourinho and Klopp based upon last season to judge how good Klopp is in relation to Mourinho!?! Wow!

Sad Chris

He finished 4th last year with a massively substandard squad. We finished 6th -- that right there should tell you something. His characteristic high-pressing, high-tempo and liquid movement squeeze results out of squads that they have no business getting.

Is his style appropriate for a truly top-line squad? Probably not. But being able to elevate a ~7th place side into regular CL spot contention is a massive skill and a sign of an excellent manager, "in my book."
I'm really trying hard to take you serious but if these are the type of comparisons you're going to use as a benchmark, I can't.

Regarding the regular CL rubbish, he has finished 8th and 4th. Elevation and contention are very much wishful thinking at this moment in time.

Your book sounds very much like it would be recommended by other readers who also enjoyed "They dared to dream".

Borat Sagdiyev

I'm really trying hard to take you serious but if these are the type of comparisons you're going to use as a benchmark, I can't.

Regarding the regular CL rubbish, he has finished 8th and 4th. Elevation and contention are very much wishful thinking at this moment in time.

Your book sounds very much like it would be recommended by other readers who also enjoyed "They dared to dream".
Your hatred of Liverpool (and paranoia re: anyone who makes a semi-positive comment) prevents you from any semblance of objective thought. You haven't addressed the main point of squad quality (or cost), or playstyle, but you're still spewing.

Sad Chris

Your hatred of Liverpool (and paranoia re: anyone who makes a semi-positive comment) prevents you from any semblance of objective thought. You haven't addressed the main point of squad quality (or cost), or playstyle, but you're still spewing.
I'm not the one calling excellence. It's you who should be walking the talk, not me.

But thanks for the compliment. I take pride in my hatred for everything Liverpool related.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Squad quality: Quality in attack, poor in defense. Average overall. After he took over the reigns at Liverpool, Klopp has spent in the region of £150m on attacking talent and the team looks no better than it did under his predecessor. In fact stats prove Brendan had his team playing at a higher level, at least in terms of results. Ignoring the defense in the manner Jurgen has is simply gross negligence.

Playstyle: Exciting & innovative to your average Liverpool fan. Optimistic & naive to everyone else. His style of play has been found wanting for quite some time now, but his real failure comes from the fact that he has no alternative with which to fall back on. Ultimately this will be his downfall.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
You tell me. Do you think Guardiola and Klopp are basically the same quality just with different budgets?
You said Klopp is not excellent, because he's a one trick pony. Is Guardiola not a one trick pony (possession football)?

My point is: You can be an excellent manager, even if you are a "one trick pony". Klopp is excellent at what he does. One of the very best, in fact. What is this critisism about anyways? Liverpools squad is not even among the top 5 (City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, even Tottenham) and still they made top 4. Ahead of United...