Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Ban

It seems you guys don't know the unwritten rule. If you criticize Klopp you must criticize Mourinho too.

The Bloody-Nine

And we're after another to for finish and no more because Klopp dicked about in the summer. It happened, we have to move on.
You kept your key players. You signed players like Salah. You finished top 4 last season. Stands to reason that you should expect to be challenging for the title. Yet you're already resigned to hoping for a top 4 finish.

Adebesi

I'm surprise this is so difficult to grasp.

No one's arguing Mourinho wasn't defensive. He was and has taken a lot of flak on this forum for it.

Thing is, why has Klopp taken no criticism for not going for the win either? We were terrible on the day, sitting back and there for the taking yet all his subs were like for like changes. Why not take off a CM and make it a 2 v 2 match up there and give your team another attacking player? A win over us could have been the big boost your club needed.

To be clear, I don't give a shit about whether or not Klopp gets criticised, my post was simply in response to a meek attempt at dodging a valid point made.
I think @Dumbstar has been refreshingly honest about this to be honest. Klopp isnt taking the same amount of flak because they have thrown in the towel as far as winning the league is concerned. They are in the same position as we were in for the final few league games last season - except they got there by October, without having a Europa Cup Final to prepare for. Its German efficiency at its best.

We feel a point away at Anfield is a decent result that leaves us on course to challenge for the league. They think a point at home against us is a decent result for them that leaves them on course to challenge for top 4.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
We did all we could with two midfielders when Liverpool also went for a draw but staying with 3 midfielders rather than gambling to try and get a win. Had we been more at full strength we would have matched their midfield three and been more attacking as a result.
I keep hearing this and it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. We've played with the same midfield three in the majority of the games we've played this season, including when we put four past Arsenal and Hoffenheim. Your last shot of the game was in the 43rd minute of the game - that's embarrassing.

And to make three late subs without making the team any more attacking is not something that many managers would do in a game where they really needed three points (especially when they didn't have any subs forced by injury).
He brought on two strikers and a wide player. Even if you're arguing that Sturridge/Ox for Coutinho and Salah was like for like, then it effectively kept an attacking system... attacking.

But fair fecks to Mourinho for throwing United fans this bone to cling on to in the face of a completely gutless display.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'm surprise this is so difficult to grasp.

No one's arguing Mourinho wasn't defensive. He was and has taken a lot of flak on this forum for it.

Thing is, why has Klopp taken no criticism for not going for the win either? We were terrible on the day, sitting back and there for the taking yet all his subs were like for like changes. Why not take off a CM and make it a 2 v 2 match up there and give your team another attacking player? A win over us could have been the big boost your club needed.

To be clear, I don't give a shit about whether or not Klopp gets criticised, my post was simply in response to a meek attempt at dodging a valid point made.
For example his reasoning could have been that the numbers advantage in midfield gave his team an amount of control and bite (in pressing) that was more valuable than having one more attacker, but one less midfielder to feed him. Or simply that those three had to be subbed of because of fitness/injury concerns.
It's absolutely fair to discuss or speculate about whether or not Klopp could've made different changes and how they might have played out, but to call them cowardly is either silly hyperbole or ignorant of the way modern coaches (can) try to influence matches.

Ban

I keep hearing this and it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. We've played with the same midfield three in the majority of the games we've played this season, including when we put four past Arsenal and Hoffenheim. Your last shot of the game was in the 43rd minute of the game - that's embarrassing.

He brought on two strikers and a wide player. Even if you're arguing that Sturridge/Ox for Coutinho and Salah was like for like, then it effectively kept an attacking system... attacking.

But fair fecks to Mourinho for throwing United fans this bone to cling on to in the face of a completely gutless display.
Throwing a bone to the fans stuff from a Liverpool fan is pretty ironic.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think @Dumbstar has been refreshingly honest about this to be honest. Klopp isnt taking the same amount of flak because they have thrown in the towel as far as winning the league is concerned. They are in the same position as we were in for the final few league games last season - except they got there by October, without having a Europa Cup Final to prepare for. Its German efficiency at its best.
:lol:

Thinking back to the game, did Liverpool get a single shot on target in the second half? Damned if I can remember any. That's a fairly fecking embarrassing effort against a "gutless" team that apparently had no game-plan other than desperate last-ditch defending. Almost as though Klopp didn't go for the jugular after all, right?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
:lol:

Thinking back to the game, did Liverpool get a single shot on target in the second half? Damned if I can remember any. That's a fairly fecking embarrassing effort against a "gutless" team that apparently had no game-plan other than desperate last-ditch defending. Almost as though Klopp didn't go for the jugular after all, right?
There was that very good Can chance where he hooked it over the goal. Can't remember much outside of that though.

pascell

What impact would missing out on next season's CL have on the summer transfer budget of Liverpool? They've announced Keita already for £65m plus add ons, they need a solid CB, probably another CM (if Can leaves on a free), a 20+ goal striker and a 'keeper, to challenge for the title imo. I can't see them spending that much money yo make them into general contenders, even if they sold Coutinho for £100+m.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Why would Klopp switch from a midfield three to a two and then give Mourinho some manoeuvrability tactically? If we were the team looking more likely in the second half why would he throw that advantage away and risk United's midfield getting a foothold in the match?

Adebesi

Why would Klopp switch from a midfield three to a two and then give Mourinho some manoeuvrability tactically? If we were the team looking more likely in the second half why would he throw that advantage away and risk United's midfield getting a foothold in the match?
The only excuse for doing it would be if he wanted to change something in order to win the game. But apparently both managers were happy to take the point.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Honestly speaking I think it's clever of Klopp to say what he did. He knows that's one win on what, 7 or 8 games? There are doubts creeping in on what he brings to the table. Saying what he said appeases his side of the fan base that every game is always a moral victory if nothing else. He just said it to be all high and mighty to his own fans knowing there was no 3pts to take home.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I don't think anyone disputes that Klopp can be a sore loser during or immediately after matches, but a lot of what's going on in this thread goes way past that.
Way too often it's like some drama loving journo takes a sound bite completely out of context then someone posts it in this thread, sometimes even misquoting and then people do their best to read what they want to read into that distorted version of a statement.

Like for example if Klopp (or Guardiola/Wenger for that matter) said something like "we didn't play well, lacked precision and the condition of the pitch didn't help either". Some journo then makes the headline "Klopp unhappy with pitch" and this thread is like "omg he blamed the pitch again, can't take responsibility, always someone else's fault".
His constant moaning and bitchiness is going to invite some flack. Especially from fans of other clubs. He is very fortunate that he media still likes him, because his own work is mediocre at best atm. Did he improve a single player? Firmino might be the only one. He should focus on his own work and reflect how he can do better. He starts to look like Wenger who simply refuses to accept any responsibility for his results. He has certainly no reason to lecture anyone about tactics.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff

Do you accept it was also a gutless display from Klopp in that case? Seeing as it was more of a must win game for you lot.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Fixed that for you.

It's the only cure.
No man, we do not want our rivals to sack their incompetent managers. :p
As long as Klopp and Wenger remain, we know that they won't put up a title challenge, which means that top 4 should be nearly guaranteed, going forward.
Now, the managers who I do want to see fired are Pep and Pochetino. If these 2 go, then a title win should be easy as pie. :D

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
His constant moaning and bitchiness is going to invite some flack. Especially from fans of other clubs. He is very fortunate that he media still likes him, because his own work is mediocre at best atm. Did he improve a single player? Firmino might be the only one. He should focus on his own work and reflect how he can do better. He starts to look like Wenger who simply refuses to accept any responsibility for his results. He has certainly no reason to lecture anyone about tactics.
If you want to look at it like that I think he can take some credit for Wijnaldun, Lallana and Mane as well, who all made a step forward under him as far as I can tell. I wouldn't call his work mediocre at best. Getting to the EL final after taking over midseason (albeit losing it) was a success, so was making top 4 ahead of Arsenal and United last season, not the kind of miracles he delivered in his earlier Dortmund days, but good solid work nonetheless.. He seems to have taken his problems in build up with him from Dortmund though, which pretty much rules any kind of title challenge and the persistence of such an obvious weakness does indeed remind me of Wenger.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
The only excuse for doing it would be if he wanted to change something in order to win the game. But apparently both managers were happy to take the point.
But we were already on top and looking more likely to win it with a midfield three.

Going to a midfield two might've weakened our position and made it harder for us to win the game, making it a daft move tactically.

Sir Roi de Muppeterre

But we were already on top and looking more likely to win it with a midfield three.

Going to a midfield two might've weakened our position and made it harder for us to win the game, making it a daft move tactically.
Taking out your two best attackers didn't make much sense either. If Klop really wanted to win, he would have taken off one of the midfielders. Yes it would have increase the risk of United stealing the game away but it would have increase Liverpools chances of goal too.

Ultimately Klop decided it wasn't worth the risk to go for a win and settled for a draw.

Swap the situation, I would have been very disappointed with Jose if he had decided to settle with draw against a liverpool side that, due to injuries, can't play more than 2 midfielders at Old Trafford. But I am positive that in such scenario, he wouldn't have hesitated one bit before going for a spanking.

Adebesi

You looked more likely to win it than us, but you also looked less likely to win than it would end in a draw. And taking into account how you fade at the end of games, whereas we tend to finish strongly, it is also a bit too simplistic to say you looked more likely to win it. Yes you looked better than us and were attacking way, way more than us, but I always felt the longer the game went on, the better our chance of snatching it. Which may have been exactly what was on Klopp's mind too, hence maybe he was happy to settle for the point at that stage.

The point is, Liverpool fans are berating Mourinho for not attacking more - which would play into Liverpool's hands. United fans are berating Klopp for not sacrificing a midfielder - which would play into United's hands. In the end, both managers declined to play into the other's hands and settled for a point.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
United could afford not to win, and Liverpool couldn't afford to lose; all the ingredients for a borefest, and so it proved to be.

mark_a

All this berating Mourhino crap - how is it the other team's fault if you don't win? But it is Liverpool and Klopp, tragic victims of non-football. De Gea spoiling everything by stopping the ball going in the net that time.

Any LFC fan knows deep down that's a huge disappointment for them against an off-form United, whose plan C was let down by a couple of key players having an off day. "Blaming" United in the way the media has is just hilarious and says everything about the Media/Liverpool axis and narrative.

Some quality b*llocks on BBC site, something like it was a game of chess, but that's not a spectator sport. Presumably that's except the people who watch Chess?

80% of the teams that come to OT come to park the bus! The onus is then on us to win against that.

Peanut Butter

One win in eight matches - that's embarrassing.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
That's because unsurprisingly he's being deliberately obtuse. Klopp could have taken off Salah, Coutinho and Firmino and replaced them with Klavan, Robertson and Karius as an outfielder player and STILL been more offensive than Jose even after he chose to bring on Mata, Rashford and Lingard for Whorera, Smalling and Young.

But that's enough words wasted on here for another wind up and/or myopia beyond belief. Jose has lost ground after the weekend, not Liverpool. We are where we deserve to be after yet another shit summer, i.e. 4 points from third place which is the extent of our ambition.
Whoera? Are you genuinely 12?

poleglass red

strange comment from Klopp about that not being the Liverpool way. He obviously didn't watch them under Houiller or Rafa. He's also setting himself up for criticism if he goes to any of the big 5 or 6 teams in league and doesn't play all out attacking football. I don't even think they did that against us. Sure they had possession, we give them it. But there best chance was a shot from Matip. They didn't play the attacking football Mr Klopp would like you to believe. I know he's liked by the fans, but the truth is, they aren't any better now than they were under wee Brendan. In fact they'd need to watch they don't start to regress

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Taking out your two best attackers didn't make much sense either. If Klop really wanted to win, he would have taken off one of the midfielders. Yes it would have increase the risk of United stealing the game away but it would have increase Liverpools chances of goal too.

Ultimately Klop decided it wasn't worth the risk to go for a win and settled for a draw.

Swap the situation, I would have been very disappointed with Jose if he had decided to settle with draw against a liverpool side that, due to injuries, can't play more than 2 midfielders at Old Trafford. But I am positive that in such scenario, he wouldn't have hesitated one bit before going for a spanking.
My impression was that Coutinho and Firmino weren't able to finish the game due to flying back from international games a few days prior, and the same for Salah. Maybe he could've kept one on but I'm not sure.

I don't think Mourinho would sacrifice a midfielder for an attacker if he thought it would be detrimental to his sides efforts.

I don't have any problem with how Mourinho set up on Saturday, but I'm not sure it'll be enough to win the league against a side like City this season. They look a bit more ruthless in the big games they've played. Obviously United have only played us so it's a bit early to judge.

We have to win tonight. Anything less is useless to us.

Sad Chris

So, which tactical masterpiece will Klopp present to us tonight? Which strategy will he choose? I wonder...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Just to add to this, in the equivalent fixture last season, Mourinho's final substitution (in the 75th minute) was taking off Darmian and replacing him with Fellaini. He had already replaced Carrick with Rooney by this point (and brought Mata on for Martial). So we're not talking hypothetical scenarios here.

haram

You were never winning that game.

beedoubleyou

Ahh the moral victory. Stick it in the trophy cabinet next to all the dusty spoils of 80s pass-back-football. No wins in eight, a goal difference of one and a fight for fifth with Arsenal to look forward to. You can keep your heavy metal football pal.

ti vu

What you're saying is you don't want to lose by adding more fire power by at same time open the game for us. That's Mourinho point. This whole "already on top" doesn't mean you guys would eventually score. Given your recent form and how we have endless of example of team being on top just couldn't score however high their possession stats is, it's reasonable to think going with same tactic and subbing inferior players in, you guys didn't go for the kill but being pragmatic in your own way toward the end.

In other game where you guys got desperate I remembered you guys went with 4 stirkers 2 wide attacking players with Coutinho moved to no 10 position. That's when you really want to win the game.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Ahh the moral victory. Stick it in the trophy cabinet next to all the dusty spoils of 80s pass-back-football. No wins in eight, a goal difference of one and a fight for fifth with Arsenal to look forward to. You can keep your heavy metal football pal.
This moral victory is huge for Liverpool, I believe it puts them 18 points clear at the top of the alternate league table and more importanty it extends the lifespan of Klopp as their manager. He will remain in charge for another 2 seasons at least after saturdays moral victory.