Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Rafateria

I've just realised that in the group of Moscow, Sevilla and Maribor it's only the latter they've managed to beat, Jesus, this is shocking.
The ridiculous thing is that it isn't just our defence that has been letting us down .. the attack over-ran Spartak in Moscow, but didn't put away their chances, ditto Sevilla both home and away, we had another 4-5 gilt edged chances last night and failed to take them (3 one-on-ones and one ball right across the goal that just needed a touch, plus a few ballsed-up breaks) regardless of what was happening at the other end of the pitch. The attack can be brilliant at times but they, collectively, have been missing far too many opportunities to put the game to bed and by doing so keep the opposition in the game and raise their confidence levels.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
We missed the link man between attack and defense against you guys. He otherwise set up to have a go against you guys but Mkhi was just piss poor plus no fellaini or any other outlet to drive the midfield forward at the time.

That said I think he should have been more ruthless and started Mata rashford and martial all together.
Yeah I think Rashford would've been a good option for you in that game.

You were definitely higher up the pitch against us, I'm just surprised he didn't do more to unsettle our back line. I think you're right that Fellaini would've made a difference.

EyeInTheSky

Also, is it just me, or did Karius play really well today? :eek:

He made two really good saves: a 1-on-1 in the first half that he pushed on the post, and a close range shot in the second half that he saved and then hit the crossbar. He wasn't to blame for any of the 3 goals either.

IMO he has a higher ceiling than Mignolet. I doubt he'll ever be a great goalkeeper, but I think he can be a good one.
So does a wendy house.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
It still amazes me that Mourinho didn't have a go against us at Anfield. We're there for the taking sometimes.

I still expect us to top the group though, which will be better than our last two CL performances.
Different kettle of fish playing us at Anfield though. He knows how much the crowd would have been up for it, especially against our fiercest rivals, & probably wanted to reduce any encouragement an open game would have provided. Sensible management imo.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don't really get the point in constantly criticising the defenders with the way Liverpool play. They push up and they leave space, and they are also very direct so much more liable to give up possession in situations where the opposition have space to exploit.

They play to make the game open. They clearly work a lot more on that than on any defensive organisation. They concede a lot of goals because of this, or from situations where the whole team fails to defend as a unit. Or goals due to individual errors where if it was another team they would have cover in the same situation as where Liverpool don't.

You could take a worse set of defenders than what Liverpool have and turn them into a much better defensive unit. It's just not how Klopp wants the team to play.

It's also not a problem playing that way if you're winning 4-0 or even 4-3. Liverpool aren't that far off really. Problem they have is that their players as a whole just aren't quite good enough to pull it off. Especially when you have Pep and City doing a far superior version of what is basically the same thing.

iHicksy

He's very much like a hammer (him being a tool jokes aside) in that he only knows one way to play football, which is to bludgeon teams to death by attack. He sets his teams up to transition from defence to attack and overload the opponent with an influx of midfielders and forwards. When this doesn't resort in a goal glut sufficient to out way the opponents then he's fecked.

He has no plan B, no change in formation or tactics if the opponent can't be broken down. Even when his plan succeeds and he goes 3-0 up he is so tactically inept that he can't get his teams to defend, because he simply doesn't understand how to. Instead he just keeps on attempting to hammer at the opponent, attack, attack, attack. It's really quite hilarious.

Thepinhead

Would be called "How to defend with gegenpress".

Chapter 1.

When you gegenpress all the time you win the ball on opposition half and they never get near your goal.

Chapter 2

If your players gets tired just substitute your defenders for some midfielders and gegenpress some more.

Chapter 3.

If you concede a goal blame it on the wind, the ref or United for scoring an offside goal.

The end

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't really get the point in constantly criticising the defenders with the way Liverpool play. They push up and they leave space, and they are also very direct so much more liable to give up possession in situations where the opposition have space to exploit.

They play to make the game open. They clearly work a lot more on that than on any defensive organisation. They concede a lot of goals because of this, or from situations where the whole team fails to defend as a unit. Or goals due to individual errors where if it was another team they would have cover in the same situation as where Liverpool don't.

You could take a worse set of defenders than what Liverpool have and turn them into a much better defensive unit. It's just not how Klopp wants the team to play.

It's also not a problem playing that way if you're winning 4-0 or even 4-3. Liverpool aren't that far off really. Problem they have is that their players as a whole just aren't quite good enough to pull it off. Especially when you have Pep and City doing a far superior version of what is basically the same thing.
Their goals mostly has nothing to do with the shape whatsoever. It's individual stupid errors. Moreno chasing ball without staying with his man has little to do with the way they approach the game, his lazy penalty has little to do with it either and nor does letting in goals after flick ons from the near post.

Granted they set themselves up to be exposed, I agree with that. But it's individual stupid errors that cost them just as much.

automaticflare

Yeah I think Rashford would've been a good option for you in that game.

You were definitely higher up the pitch against us, I'm just surprised he didn't do more to unsettle our back line. I think you're right that Fellaini would've made a difference.
During the period of pogbas absence our link between midfield and attack has been dreadful
Miki has rightfully got the chop
Very frustrating period for us

Alabaster Codify7

I do not consider anyone a great manager when they are unable to remotely organise a defence. A great manager does both, Klopp cannot do that.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Their goals mostly has nothing to do with the shape whatsoever. It's individual stupid errors. Moreno chasing ball without staying with his man has little to do with the way they approach the game, his lazy penalty has little to do with it either and nor does letting in goals after flick ons from the near post.

Granted they set themselves up to be exposed, I agree with that. But it's individual stupid errors that cost them just as much.
Yeah but most teams concede these types of errors in games. Chelsea are a fairly solid unit yet Cahill regularly gifts the opposition the ball in dangerous areas, or gets caught day dreaming. Both him and Luiz will go charging for balls they are never going to get near...and when their defence is left exposed (e.g. when they are chasing the game like they were against Roma), they can just as easily look like a bunch of clowns.

United have I think the best defensive record in the league over the past year or so, yet we cannot defend a set piece correctly to save our lives...not because we have bad or good defenders, but because we can't seem to organise ourselves as a team to do it.

The way Liverpool play just leaves them far too open to be expecting the defenders they have to not make silly errors that cost goals. I'm not convinced some of ours would be any better in the same circumstance. They don't monopolise the ball, or create enough or apply enough pressure to scare or push the opposition into not attacking them, and they don't have a back line of world class players to get away with letting opposition players go straight at them without protection.

I don't think it's just a problem with the defenders. If you swapped City and Liverpool's defences over for example, the two teams definitely wouldn't swap places. If you swapped their midfield and forwards over instead, they might. So it seems weird to just blame the defence all the time.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

I agree with most of this.

Contrary to popular opinion, I think Liverpool would suffer if part of the team's potency upfront was sacrificed to provide better defensive solidity, without bringing in better players.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
"Manager calls for sense of perspective after Liverpool’s second-half collapse in Seville and insists before visit of Chelsea he trusts his team implicitly"

Keep trusting them Kloppy, you've got incredible GKs and a top defence.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Klopp begins post match interview by blaming ref for not letting Liverpool do the sub earlier and saying that, that cost them goal as he was going to change system :houllier:

Irrational.

So the draw is blamed on the ref not allowing Jurgen to make his changes as he was taking too long. Also don't get what he achieves from screaming at the fourth official. I've very rarely seen a ref change his mind as a result of his fourth official being screamed at.

Oh, and a slight dig at Chelsea "playing really deep with 8 at the back" :lol:

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Always whining about everything. He would do well in our league.

Walters_19_MuFc

He had the players on the pitch to change to a back five.

He ended up with:

Milner Gomez Matip Klaaven Moreno

All of which were on the pitch when Chelsea scored.

All he had to do was to tell someone on the pitch to set up in a five.

cyberman

Drops 2 of his best attackers at home v a top 4 rival then blames the ref for dropping points.
Somehow the coverage will be kind to him..

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Maybe if he wasn't bouncing all around the place and playing to the gallery he could have made the changes. He is wasting his time trying to get the crowd to make noise.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Liverpool vs the big clubs so far.

5 points in 3 matches at home. 0 points in two away matches with a goal difference of - 8.