Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He is a genuine guy and I feel he will not desert anyone, but I still can understand his dream. He is a genuinely good guy.. He is a future manager of Germany. The question is when ?
Unless his powers wane going into international football so young would be a waste of his talents, as much as I wouldn't complain as a Chelsea fan if he left Liverpool to do so.

Even if it's his dream, would he want to waste prime years only going for one trophy every two years when he could potentially win shit loads at club level?

Josh 76

So Klopp is fecking off the FA cup with his comments. What a fecking prick. Let's see if the BBC and BT are still licking his hairy ass now!

Steve Bruce

But really, two cup competitions and then possible additional replays? Seems unnecessary to me. Just do the usual extra time + pen system and be done with that one fixture.
Tell that to Shrewsbury.

Not everything should always be to suit the big clubs in the game. The FA cups importance has been diluted enough by the likes of klopp playing reserve teams.

Klopp since he's came to England has shown nothing but disdain for the domestic cups.

padr81

Supports
Man City
What a dickhead. A lot of those lads were twatted 5-0 by Villa in the League Cup a few weeks ago (so that’ll tell you their capabilities at this level just now) and just by pure luck ran into the biggest derby bottlers in world football in Everton in the previous round of this. Who knows if they’d have won if they met anyone half-decent who may not have rolled over. Very dickish move to now hang them out to dry tonight.

Granted, there’s a good few senior pros in that squad tonight but there’s a lot of youngsters and you can’t go around chastising youth players for their performances against seasoned senior pros.
I think he's right I'll explain why below.

So he should be. We get gifted a goal early in the 2nd half to go 2-0 up & the players think the match is done & dusted. It was mostly the senior players who let us down today. I think they're the one's who'll feel most of Klopp's wrath. We're very fortunate to get a 2nd bite of the cherry.
Yeah you I don't think it was the result as much as your seniors and a couple of the kid for that matter being complacent as hell out there. I think he'd have taken losing and the kids putting a shift in as opposed to what he got. He'd have taken a flawed performance with effort I think.

LInkash

Don't know why everyone's being so negative towards Klopp. The less chance they have of winning the treble the better.

Tel074

I cant believe he is saying he won't manage Liverpool for the replay . That's just him having a complete huff because it went to a replay . If you don't want a replay then play a stronger team it's that simple really

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Tell that to Shrewsbury.

Not everything should always be to suit the big clubs in the game. The FA cups importance has been diluted enough by the likes of klopp playing reserve teams.

Klopp since he's came to England has shown nothing but disdain for the domestic cups.
It's been dilluted because the big two tournaments and even the Championship have blown it away financially.

Most teams don't prioritize the cup these days for that reason. As much as the romantics don't like to hear it the league offers such a great financial reward these days that's it's just really not worth risking it. The chances of a non top team winning it are probably about 10% at best, and chairman of said lesser side will look it and think "even if the one season in ten comes this year, what are really the odds on that being us?" so why would say Bournemouth burn out their strongest side when PL survival is crucial to their financial future, for what, possibility of a big scalp, something that they've done enough times in the PL anyway?

If the FA Cup wants to rise to relevance again then they have to up their game. Either compete with the Prem in terms of prize money (if there was a small fortune on offer just for making say the 5th round I'm sure clubs would take it more seriously then) or even offer a CL spot to the winner (taking it away from 4th spot if someone 5th or below wins). However while the prize money is so naff compared to the big two tournaments top teams will see it as nothing more than a bonus and the lesser sides won't commit financial suicide stretching their resources in a competition that they have next to no chance of winning.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don't understand why he is taking the cups so lightly.
Did he do the same in Germany too?
No, the opposite in fact. Then again, bundesliga+german cup final= 40 games in total. With often a 1 month winter break

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
But really, two cup competitions and then possible additional replays? Seems unnecessary to me. Just do the usual extra time + pen system and be done with that one fixture.
Yeah if the whole football pyramid is just to support top 6 PL clubs then what you said makes sense.

I don't understand why people fail to see England is different to other leagues, lower league have good following and they have rich history. These replays will improve many lower league clubs who can fix so many issues at the club.

Just take shrewsbury as example, their manager said they will buy video equipment for analysis and improve the drainage issues around the pitch. Football is not just about big and rich clubs. For many of the lower league players, it's once in a life time opportunity to play at Old Trafford, Anfield and other top stadiums.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Yeah if the whole football pyramid is just to support top 6 PL clubs then what you said makes sense.

I don't understand why people fail to see England is different to other leagues, lower league have good following and they have rich history. These replays will improve many lower league clubs who can fix so many issues at the club.

Just take shrewsbury as example, their manager said they will buy video equipment for analysis and improve the drainage issues around the pitch. Football is not just about big and rich clubs. For many of the lower league players, it's once in a life time opportunity to play at Old Trafford, Anfield and other top stadiums.
Yep, I agree with that.

people, even fans seem more obsessed with money these days.

let’s ditch the cups because we don’t win enough money in them is almost as bad as let’s bring in var and change all the rules, there’s too much money at stake not to.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
The history is there in Germany as well, for example. But the TV money is distributed more equally in Germany I believe.

Also, in Germany, the lower league (below 2nd division) side will always automatically be drawn as home team when up against a Bundesliga side. So there is other ways to support those clubs.

Otherwise where do you draw the line, why stop with the status quo, why not make a 3rd and 4th cup and have the EPL sides play local youth teams, don't they deserve new equipment? They're the future after all...

All I'm saying is you don't have to bloat the fixture list and completely ignore the players health. There are other ways to distribute the wealth more equally.

Reactions: Penna

TheLiverBird

Pretty much this

there is no denying the fixture table in this country is absurd

Klopp admits it’s completely our fault for not winning, we simply weren’t good enough at times at the back

and it has nothing to do with not fielding a “good enough team” to get past a league one team

we had

Origi
Minamimo
Elliot
Jones
Fabinho
Lovren
Matip
Adrian

all starting in last nights game, as far as a the core of the team goes, that should be way way way more than sufficient enough to beat a side like Shrewsbury, but they didn’t

Replays are a joke, and should be sent to extra time and penalties, although they do provide help to the lower league teams, Shrewsbury could make £1 million out of the replay

I am abit disappointed that Klopp is washing his hands with the next fixture though, a huge moment for Shrewsbury, playing under the lights at Anfield....against the under 23’s, it’s about downer after such a high I guess

HJ12

I agree with this, but both sides have valid arguments. It's obvious the players are asked to play too much football, so there needs to be a concession somewhere, else you end up with players getting seriously crocked. As you pointed out, that's more likely to affect the top 6 sides as they have to deal with an additional competition in Europe, so it's hardly surprising that they'll need to rest players along the way. I think it was suggested on another thread somewhere that the solution may be to bring some of these earlier rounds forward to the first half of the season, perhaps at the expense of the Caraboa Cup. But I get that the tradition in England is to have the 2 cup competitions so I'm not sure how this problem ever really goes away.

To put it another way, if we were in Liverpool's position right now, I would 100% understand if Ole decided to field a weekend team next week.

roonster09

Scout
The history is there in Germany as well, for example. But the TV money is distributed more equally in Germany I believe.

Also, in Germany, the lower league (below 2nd division) side will always automatically be drawn as home team when up against a Bundesliga side. So there is other ways to support those clubs.

Otherwise where do you draw the line, why stop with the status quo, why not make a 3rd and 4th cup and have the EPL sides play local youth teams, don't they deserve new equipment? They're the future after all...

All I'm saying is you don't have to bloat the fixture list and completely ignore the players health. There are other ways to distribute the wealth more equally.
It's not bloating the fixture list with new additions. FA cup is the oldest cup competition and League cup is the one that was introduced in 70s iirc.

I agree that something should be done for the draws, like giving home games for lower league teams but not sure how much that would help them financially. Their biggest pot is away games to big clubs.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Poor Liverpool, not winning every game and then sulking when they don’t.
It’s almost as if they’re the first team ever to have to deal with a few extra fixtures

roonster09

Scout
I agree with this, but both sides have valid arguments. It's obvious the players are asked to play too much football, so there needs to be a concession somewhere, else you end up with players getting seriously crocked. As you pointed out, that's more likely to affect the top 6 sides as they have to deal with an additional competition in Europe, so it's hardly surprising that they'll need to rest players along the way. I think it was suggested on another thread somewhere that the solution may be to bring some of these earlier rounds forward to the first half of the season, perhaps at the expense of the Caraboa Cup. But I get that the tradition in England is to have the 2 cup competitions so I'm not sure how this problem ever really goes away.

To put it another way, if we were in Liverpool's position right now, I would 100% understand if Ole decided to field a weekend team next week.
Its not about playing second string or youth team, managers are free to play any team they want to. I have nothing against any manager who wants to play young team in the cups, it works for them too as young players gets playing team in senior team.

My post was about scrapping replays which is at max 2 more games as from next round there are no replays IIRC. Too much concentration on top clubs when there are more than 80 clubs in English football.

Steve Bruce

It's not bloating the fixture list with new additions. FA cup is the oldest cup competition and League cup is the one that was introduced in 70s iirc.

I agree that something should be done for the draws, like giving home games for lower league teams but not sure how much that would help them financially. Their biggest pot is away games to big clubs.
The top clubs will support abolishing the domestic cups then in the next breath support expanding the champions league and World club Cup.

The fa Cup and league Cup hasn't increased over the last 50 years, but the European format has massively but the clubs supported it because of the money.

This is nothing to do with fixture congestion, it's all to do with financial rewards.

Then of course another problem is the sheer volume of internationals, when we have 3 or 4 international breaks during the season.

HJ12

Its not about playing second string or youth team, managers are free to play any team they want to. I have nothing against any manager who wants to play young team in the cups, it works for them too as young players gets playing team in senior team.

My post was about scrapping replays which is at max 2 more games as from next round there are no replays IIRC. Too much concentration on top clubs when there are more than 80 clubs in English football.
Ah sorry, understood. Agree in that case.

roonster09

Scout
The top clubs will support abolishing the domestic cups then in the next breath support expanding the champions league and World club Cup.

The fa Cup and league Cup hasn't increased over the last 50 years, but the European format has massively but the clubs supported it because of the money.

This is nothing to do with fixture congestion, it's all to do with financial rewards.

Then of course another problem is the sheer volume of internationals, when we have 3 or 4 international breaks during the season.
Yeah, the excuse you get from fans of big club is "it's not financially rewarding" (we have one or two in last couple of pages), surely it's financially rewarding for 60 plus clubs from championship and below?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Klopp decides to do what he wants:o

Pathetic really. It’s the English league mate, it is what it is. If you don’t want to respect it, piss off

NoLogo

Let's face it two cups is stupid and doesn't benefit anyone. The same goes for replays. Just keep the FA-Cup and make it a single birth knock out competition which goes to penalties if it has to, which would make the competition even more exciting. They can even keep the League Cup around but just fecking exclude PL teams, they play enough games as it is and no one likes that competition anyways.

shaky

I'd understand not taking the FA Cup seriously if Liverpool were in a title battle but they have disappeared well over the horizon. Why not try as hard as possible to get the double or treble? He could play the first team in the replay and play the weaker team against Norwich in the following league game instead. That would also give the first team a week's rest before the 1st leg of the Atletico match.

Steve Bruce

Let's face it two cups is stupid and doesn't benefit anyone. The same goes for replays. Just keep the FA-Cup and make it a single birth knock out competition which goes to penalties if it has to, which would make the competition even more exciting. They can even keep the League Cup around but just fecking exclude PL teams, they play enough games as it is and no one likes that competition anyways.
Sure why not just abandon English football and play in the European super money league.

By the way, Shrewsbury will benefit by a replay, so your assertion that replays benefit no one is incorrect.

Dan_F

Klopp says it’s not about him for one second and completely about the players health. Then decides he’s just not going to bother managing his team for that game. Weird position to take.

Liverpool have a lot of players that haven’t played much. Someone above listed 8 players who need minutes. How hard would it be to use them and mix in some reserves and then give any that play 90 mins the one game off after the mini break.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Let's scrap all the cups, all the tradition, and just have an entry only super Euro league of 16 teams, and just totally finish any interest in top level football permanently.

Paul_Scholes18

Let's scrap all the cups, all the tradition, and just have an entry only super Euro league of 16 teams, and just totally finish any interest in top level football permanently.
Only Liverpool and Klopp wants that from the PL though. Plus his german mates and PSG.

Paul_Scholes18

Klopp says it’s not about him for one second and completely about the players health. Then decides he’s just not going to bother managing his team for that game. Weird position to take.

Liverpool have a lot of players that haven’t played much. Someone above listed 8 players who need minutes. How hard would it be to use them and mix in some reserves and then give any that play 90 mins the one game off after the mini break.
What you say make sense, but Klopp uses this to send a message more than anything.
He is upset over the result and does this to show that the cup doesn't matter much at all for him.

If he has booked a fancy vacation for himself and his family knowing that this would be possible then he is just stupid.
He could rest all of his first 11 easily so the lack of rest for his players is not a problem at all.
I would worry more about the lack of games before CL if I was Klopp to be honest.

We have seen in the past that rest normally doesn't help teams that much.
PSG,Juventus and Bayern normally wins the league early and still don't do much in CL.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

It's a point of principle. He wants an actual winter break, not one where one competition has a break that other competitions can then dump fixtures into.

He isn't interested in solutions for this one game, but for the authorities to actually do that.

He's clearly intending to treat it as it ought to be - an actual winter break. Hence no participation from senior staff because they are on break.

Paul_Scholes18

It's a point of principle. He wants an actual winter break, not one where one competition has a break that other competitions can then dump fixtures into.

He isn't interested in solutions for this one game, but for the authorities to actually do that.

He's clearly intending to treat it as it ought to be - an actual winter break. Hence no participation from senior staff because they are on break.
He knew this could happen though so why not ask for solutions?
Moving the games so it would not reduce the break?
Liverpool will play 4 games less than we do over this period if we beat Club Brugge and get to play more games in europe.
It is silly they complain about a break.

Other teams might complain too, but not so much that the manager himself feels he need a super long break.
If he wants less games go back to Dortmund then or take over a midtable side outside europe.

Rafaeldagold

I don’t really get this..just odd. The league is sewn up so why not go big for the cups too?

Funny guy

Paul_Scholes18

I don’t really get this..just odd. The league is sewn up so why not go big for the cups too?

Funny guy
It is not that he is not going big. He hasn't played Van Dijk in one single cup game this season so there is nothing new with that.
It is that he is not even going to manage these cups himself because he needs 2 weeks rest rather than 11 days apperently.

Also sounds like he is not going to even play bench players. Someone like Lovren might be pissed because he is probably not going to start more games this season if they get knocked out unless injuries and could be dropped for Croatia. Guys like Minamino and Origi would need games for them too.
Do they need insane rest to be on the bench for the rest of the season?

Zlatattack

I agree with Klopp. We need to re-arrange the way the cup works.

1. Get rid of replays.
2. The team from a lower league gets to choose if they want to play home or away.

Also get rid of the 2 legged ties in the league cup, also a waste of time.

He is a hypocrite though - for going to that World club competition. It's a non-event of football.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I agree with Klopp. We need to re-arrange the way the cup works.

1. Get rid of replays.
2. The team from a lower league always gets to play at home.

Also get rid of the 2 legged ties in the league cup, also a waste of time.

He is a hypocrite though - for going to that World club competition. It's a non-event of football.
Away fixtures at huge stadiums are absolutely critical to the finances of the lower leagues. It cascades the money, if not directly then via transfer spends.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He's such an entitled dramaqueen. "Oh look at me, I'm too big to be taking charge of domestic cup games"

Dan_F

I get your point, but it’s the same for everyone and there’s literally nothing the FA can do at the moment. Pretty sure I heard yesterday the FA have contracts in place with the current rule set of the FA Cup till 2024. Does he want a bye to the next round?

Plus, this is the first season with a two week break. How does he think teams have done it before?

Zlatattack

Away fixtures at huge stadiums are absolutely critical to the finances of the lower leagues. It cascades the money, if not directly then via transfer spends.
Oh ok - in that case lets do it that way around.