Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Withnail

Unbelievable how they still win while totally being uninterested in the game and competition to the point of putting such a lineup.

They're going to win the treble this season.
They could lose the next game to Chelsea.

It's the first of 3 games in a week for them. So I'd say they'll rest players again. They've a league match vs Bournemouth 2 days later and the Atletico second leg 4 days after that.

Chelsea don't have their CL game til the following week and only have one other game that week at home to Everton 3 days later. They've a gap of 6 days til Villa after that.

Mettaur

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool make me scratch my head a bit. United surely have the better youth talent than them from what I’ve seen yet their sides are above us in every single age bracket points wise

We genuinely seem to have quality youth though... The kind of quality we haven’t had in years.

Greenwood, Levitt, Laird, Gomes, Chong, Williams. Liverpool can’t compete with that on individual youth talent surely...

Am I just overestimating how good United’s talent is atm? Chong and Gomes seem destined to leave us anyways and I understand we move players to the first team.

You would expect a better showing from both our U18 and our much maligned U23 sides though surely if we have this incredible youth culture?
I think you are. In RedCafe, Chong and Gomes are touted as future stars but Chong looks like a headless chicken in games while Gomes can't get ahead of Lingard and Pereira. Greenwood and Williams should be in your first-team squad by now. No idea who the other two are but I'd assume they are not that good as well. Remember that the gap from playing youth to playing profesionals is huge. Liverpool U23s lost 5-0 to Aston Villa while your youth lost to Tranmere.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think you are. In RedCafe, Chong and Gomes are touted as future stars but Chong looks like a headless chicken in games while Gomes can't get ahead of Lingard and Pereira. Greenwood and Williams should be in your first-team squad by now. No idea who the other two are but I'd assume they are not that good as well. Remember that the gap from playing youth to playing profesionals is huge. Liverpool U23s lost 5-0 to Aston Villa while your youth lost to Tranmere.
:lol: If you have no idea then skip those players instead of assuming.

Last edited:

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
They could lose the next game to Chelsea.

It's the first of 3 games in a week for them. So I'd say they'll rest players again. They've a league match vs Bournemouth 2 days later and the Atletico second leg 4 days after that.

Chelsea don't have their CL game til the following week and only have one other game that week at home to Everton 3 days later. They've a gap of 6 days til Villa after that.
Bournemouth at home is where we should rest players. I'm not sure Klopp agrees though :)

Josh 76

Youth team talk is all crap. I remember the great Arsneal one under Wenger, which was going to dominate football for years.
All I can say is the greatest Youth team ever seen on these shores was the class of 92. They talked the talk and fecking walked the walk.
It will never be seen ever again.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Youth team talk is all crap. I remember the great Arsneal one under Wenger, which was going to dominate football for years.
All I can say is the greatest Youth team ever seen on these shores was the class of 92. They talked the talk and fecking walked the walk.
It will never be seen ever again.
The Class of 92 were excellent - obviously - but they thrived in a team surrounded by very good professionals and a manager who handled them really well. The conditions were in place for them to develop. That's the tricky thing to get right - that timing and patience. A team has to be at a certain point of maturity and development for that to be done successfully, which is why it is so rare.

The Class of 92 film explains this really well - in that, Scholes says that Hansen was spot on about his "kids" comment. United weren't a team full of kids, they were a side full of top players who blooded in very good young players very effectively. They were looked after so well.

Siorac

Bournemouth at home is where we should rest players. I'm not sure Klopp agrees though :)
Surely it's a no-brainer? It's sandwiched between two significantly tougher games, you have a 22 point lead in the league... I completely understand not caring about the FA Cup but at this point it would be common sense to instead play a stronger team at Chelsea.

Josh 76

The Class of 92 were excellent - obviously - but they thrived in a team surrounded by very good professionals and a manager who handled them really well. The conditions were in place for them to develop. That's the tricky thing to get right - that timing and patience. A team has to be at a certain point of maturity and development for that to be done successfully, which is why it is so rare.

The Class of 92 film explains this really well - in that, Scholes says that Hansen was spot on about his "kids" comment. United weren't a team full of kids, they were a side full of top players who blooded in very good young players very effectively. They were looked after so well.
Stop reading your post when you quoted "the class of 92 were excellent - obviously - but..."

Siorac

Stop reading your post when you quoted "the class of 92 were excellent - obviously - but..."
Go back and read the rest then because it's entirely accurate as to why it's rare that a group of exceptional youngsters goes on to thrive in the first team as well.

Josh 76

Go back and read the rest then because it's entirely accurate as to why it's rare that a group of exceptional youngsters goes on to thrive in the first team as well.
When you have 6 players from the youth team, go into the first team roughly around the same time, no matter how good your other 4 out field players are, and dominate English football for decades. There are not "buts" about it!
Well there is one....Nicky!

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
When you have 6 players from the youth team, go into the first team roughly around the same time, no matter how good your other 4 out field players are, and dominate English football for decades. There are not "buts" about it!
Okay, Scholes was wrong then.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
More evidence of Liverpool Football Club disrespecting the FA Cup:

Bournemouth v Arsenal - 10,000

Southampton v Spurs 29,000

Man City v Fulham - 39,000

Liverpool v Shrewsbury - 52,000

Club should be fined...or something!

Mettaur

Supports
Liverpool
More evidence of Liverpool Football Club disrespecting the FA Cup:

Bournemouth v Arsenal - 10,000

Southampton v Spurs 29,000

Man City v Fulham - 39,000

Liverpool v Shrewsbury - 52,000

Club should be fined...or something!
Ticket prices were slashed for this fixture, if I recall correctly.

Siorac

You do realise that the actual class of '92, as well as Sir Alex Ferguson himself don't share your opinion about this? That they all give massive credit to the established first-team stars, such as Robson, Cantona, Schmeichel, Hughes, Bruce, and so on, for allowing these youngsters to be eased in, that they were role models and mentors?

Honestly, I'm not even sure what you're arguing. Your initial post was that "all this youth team talk is crap" - I'm presuming you meant that simply having a youth team doing well at youth levels means little because they have to "walk the walk" on senior level. We basically agree with you on that: all we're saying that the Class of '92 was a bunch of exceptional players but they also needed the right conditions and circumstances.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Schmeichel, Irwin, Bruce, Pallister, Cole, Cantona, Roy Keane were first choice players. It was not just 4 other outfield players.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
It wasn't roughly around the same time though and some had had loan experience as well to help bridge the gap... we didn't just chuck 6 18 year olds in.

Even when most came in (after Giggs), it was staggered, sub appearances, selected games/opponents.

What @PickledRed said was pretty much spot on.

RedFan84

Supports
Liverpool
I'm a bit perplexed here. There are plenty of managers in the premier league clubs who said the same thing. Jurgen was the only person who probably called that out. That's probably because his team was in a better position in the league and he had enough support with the club's owners and fans to do that. But it's a statement made on behalf of all the teams who are in a fix with the scheduling of the FA and the League Cups. So why say he's arrogant and devalued the cup etc instead of taking this criticism and revamp the FA Cups , scrap the replays etc etc. Reorganize the payouts to the teams. The bigger teams barely need the prize money which comes by winning the cup but the smaller teams depend on that. And probably remove the EPL teams from the League Cup altogether. There's no reason to have two domestic cups.

Josh 76

It wasn't roughly around the same time though and some had had loan experience as well to help bridge the gap... we didn't just chuck 6 18 year olds in.

Even when most came in (after Giggs), it was staggered, sub appearances, selected games/opponents.

What @PickledRed said was pretty much spot on.
However you want to look at it.
It's never happening again.
6 players playing in the same youth team, then all playing in the first team and wining the lot.
Now let's move on. Getting boring.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
I'm a bit perplexed here. There are plenty of managers in the premier league clubs who said the same thing. Jurgen was the only person who probably called that out. That's probably because his team was in a better position in the league and he had enough support with the club's owners and fans to do that. But it's a statement made on behalf of all the teams who are in a fix with the scheduling of the FA and the League Cups. So why say he's arrogant and devalued the cup etc instead of taking this criticism and revamp the FA Cups , scrap the replays etc etc. Reorganize the payouts to the teams. The bigger teams barely need the prize money which comes by winning the cup but the smaller teams depend on that. And probably remove the EPL teams from the League Cup altogether. There's no reason to have two domestic cups.
Because it's a Utd forum. Klopp could take Alexis Sanchez off their payroll and convince Dortmund to let Haaland and Sancho join Utd for free and still some will complain that he has weakened the bundesliga or something.

Pav1878

Because it's a Utd forum. Klopp could take Alexis Sanchez off their payroll and convince Dortmund to let Haaland and Sancho join Utd for free and still some will complain that he has weakened the bundesliga or something.
Er, not quite. It's because he's a grade A pr*ck. Can see through his bullshit a mile off.

Josh 76

What will Klopps next job be?

Can see him taking the Napoli job in the future.

Raj70

Supports
Liverpool
Er, not quite. It's because he's a grade A pr*ck. Can see through his bullshit a mile off.
The below from Wikipedia. Sometimes you have to make a stand for the greater good of the game, which is what Klopp is doing. So what your implying is Sir Matt was a grade A pr*ck for defying the football authorities (the FA), when in fact he was a visionary.

The 1956–57 European Cup was the second season of the European Cup, Europe's premier club football tournament. The competition was won for the second time by Real Madrid, who beat Fiorentina 2–0 in the final at the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium, Madrid, on 30 May 1957. After the great success of the first tournament, six new nations entered representatives: Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, England, Luxembourg, Romania and Turkey. The English Football Association ("FA") had not allowed Chelsea to enter in 1955, and continued its stance on the European Cup as it being a "distraction". However, against the wishes of the FA, Manchester United entered the competition as English champions, becoming the first English team to play in Europe.

KekiZeki

Ticket prices were slashed for this fixture, if I recall correctly.
Even if tickets were slashed it still means there are people who respect the FA cup and want to support their young players in it. Imagine if they wanted to charge the same as if Klopp and the first team were there? Wouldn't make any sense.

KekiZeki

It's a good thing someone is standing up for the players, be it from Liverpool. Real Madrid and Barca at their best probably had like 19 working players + a goalkeeper who carried the entire load of the season winning CL, cup and challenging for the title. They don't have to have a squad of 25 players to deal with all the injuries as they have an easier time in the season, less injuries to their main players. English teams have to have more players, it's hard to find a PL top team without at least 3 first team players out of commision at any given day, and with us it's been 5 or 6 a lot of the time.

Either scrap one cup, (League cup could be a competition for teams that don't play Europe for example) or do something with the way FA cup is played. No replays. Personally I'd scrap League cup. Never has a win in it bring me much joy, if I am honest with you.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Someone needs to knock them out, and quickly.

Otherwise even a guy as dismissive of the cup as Klopp will quickly realise that with the league likely to be totally wrapped up by early March, that they could be on for matching the treble - a horrifying thought for us all.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC

Otherwise even a guy as dismissive of the cup as Klopp will quickly realise that with the league likely to be totally wrapped up by early March, that they could be on for matching the treble - a horrifying thought for us all.
That really should be our target by now. The league is wrapped up, so no reason not to go all in on that. We will never get a better opportunity than this season.

Paul_Scholes18

Chelsea better do something good again or at least take advantage of another slip.
It is scary now. They have some divine luck at times when playing like shit.
2 own goals and 1 big referee howler for them and one goal removed by VAR.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Chelsea better do something good again or at least take advantage of another slip.
It is scary now. They have some divine luck at times when playing like shit.
2 own goals and 1 big referee howler for them and one goal removed by VAR.
Luckily, luck has a habit of running out at the worst time, like we saw in the Slippy G season - that looked inevitable that they'd win the league.

They'll put a weak(er) team out v Chelsea, and let's hope it's too weak, and that Chelsea don't bottle it.

Plenty of good teams left, and still 4 rounds left.

RedFan84

Supports
Liverpool
That really should be our target by now. The league is wrapped up, so no reason not to go all in on that. We will never get a better opportunity than this season.
The league is the main priority. Until there is a mathematical possibility that the likes of city and leicester can still win, I wouldn't call it as "wrapped up". Get that mickey off our backs and we can keep hunting for trophies later. If in 5-6 PL games time, We are in a position where we have won the league and are still in with a fighting shot at both the FA and the CL , then the CL takes priority.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
The league is the main priority. Until there is a mathematical possibility that the likes of city and leicester can still win, I wouldn't call it as "wrapped up". Get that mickey off our backs and we can keep hunting for trophies later. If in 5-6 PL games time, We are in a position where we have won the league and are still in with a fighting shot at both the FA and the CL , then the CL takes priority.
22 points to City and 24 to Leicester.. I know we've had many false downs and broken hopes before, but come on.. It's done. If we don't give priority to the FA cup before the league is mathematically done we will possibly be out of it next round.

Last edited:

Paul_Scholes18

Luckily, luck has a habit of running out at the worst time, like we saw in the Slippy G season - that looked inevitable that they'd win the league.

They'll put a weak(er) team out v Chelsea, and let's hope it's too weak, and that Chelsea don't bottle it.

Plenty of good teams left, and still 4 rounds left.
The help from referees might not be pure luck. Corruption or not. I don't think they are using bribes, but who knows.
They might just take advantage of the stupidity of the referees and on purpose plays with margins on their side at least in the PL.
The referees has been totally useless this season and they make stupid calls almost every week.
We have seen many red cards not given and Klopp and his staff might know that and let his players do dirty things on purpose and get away with it.
They are not alone in that. City often plays dirty too and gets away with it.
All the penalties they have avoided harder to explain. Might be fear from the refs to give pens against them.
They might dive better than other teams too so that means they will gain more dodgy pens than others.
I think Lovren did dive well when Palace scored so they got a freekick that no other side would get for similar stuff.
De Gea vs Everton didn't look like he got hit so he got nothing. Moaning might be a reason too since that seems to influence the refs a lot.
Klopp teaches them that well as he is the moaning expert number 1 in the world
(maybe his wife is better at home ;) and that is why he wants his vacation away from her this week).

Own goals, keeper howlers and so on might be harder to explain. You would think other teams would not do it more against Pool than others.
Although Henderson, Love the guy yesterday are all United ex academy players. Why can't they bloody perform like Rashford against them ;).
Maybe they want to win so much that they get nervous or something like that and that leads to more errors?
Used to be Pool players doing that or well at least Gerrard and Karius. Lovren might still be doing it although not sure that is about nerves ;).
That Pickford howler last year still feels impossible to explain.

So we will see when the luck runs out. Against Real Madrid who are mentally strong they might not make any errors if they play each other at some points.
City, Barca, PSG could gift them crazy stuff like we have seen those side do in the CL before.
I like to see them play vs Juventus who can play boring and dirty too and got Ronaldo to hurt them.

Josh 76

22 points to City and 24 to Leicester.. I know we've had many false downs and broken hopes before, but come on.. It's done. If we don't give priority to the FA cup before the league is mathematically done we will possibly be out of it next round.
At last a Scouser who's talking common sense.!

Withnail

Who's mickey is on your back? :lol:

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
How long before the liverpool treble watch thread will be created :nervous:
What if creating the "Liverpool are PL champions" thread so early this season benefited Liverpool?! It seems to be a jinx last year, sure, but this year maybe redcafe's "Liverpool are winning xyz" threads have become good luck charms. Be careful what threads you create!

Paul_Scholes18

What if creating the "Liverpool are PL champions" thread so early this season benefited Liverpool?! It seems to be a jinx last year, sure, but this year maybe redcafe's "Liverpool are winning xyz" threads have become good luck charms. Be careful what threads you create!
Liverpool bottling treble thread! Do it!