Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

LordSpud

He started it all off by getting the attack in and firing while they were still leaking goals and I actually think he is trying to rebuild the same way. Its the only reason I can think he keeps buying attacker after attacker and hoping something comes off the way Mane/Salah/Firmino did. But the midfield is aging, the defence is not good enough and I dont care what anyone says, Alisson has more mistakes in him in a season than De Gea.

Okey

Looks like the 7 year thing is real. Freaky stuff. Hope we deliver the crowning glory and twat them properly at Anfield in March.

jm99

After what he's done for that club it's weird any Liverpool supporter would want him out
It's not the exact same situation but Leicester sacked ranieri less than a season after he tool them for near relegation to the title. And it was the right decision, klopp shouldn't be sacked mid-season definitely but you can't torpedo your future out of respect and reverence for your past, once he's no longer the best man for the job, sentimentality shouldn't come into it

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
It's not the exact same situation but Leicester sacked ranieri less than a season after he tool them for near relegation to the title. And it was the right decision, klopp shouldn't be sacked mid-season definitely but you can't torpedo your future out of respect and reverence for your past, once he's no longer the best man for the job, sentimentality shouldn't come into it
I agree in some part, look at United, we have underperformed for years but we have a good squad, now we have a manager that the players believe in we're starting to get into good form.

It's almost like the players don't believe as much with Klopp as they did before, you don't have the same energy that they did previous seasons, we can call it an aging squad too. The squad needs replenishment but at the same time the players just dont look up to it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Absolutely no point in comparing him with Sir Alex. It was a different era and they're completely different style of managers and Klopp is more of a coach.

What he did for Liverpool at the time at which he did is a massive achievement and making shrewd signings along the way is not luck.

Now people will say one league title and a CL title in 8 years but he made them an elite team.
An elite team wins more than that

jm99

I agree in some part, look at United, we have underperformed for years but we have a good squad, now we have a manager that the players believe in we're starting to get into good form.

It's almost like the players don't believe as much with Klopp as they did before, you don't have the same energy that they did previous seasons, we can call it an aging squad too. The squad needs replenishment but at the same time the players just dont look up to it.
I'm not saying for sure that he's done but it does seem to track very similarly with how things went at dortmund, a good start, a few years of enormous success, then a decline that he wasn't able to stop, maybe he will at Liverpool but its looking more likely it might be time for him to move on, he's not going to get another continuo sale to fund the kind of moves that built this team, I think they fecked up not taking whatever ridiculous offer they got for Salah, but even then nunez doesn't look like the greatest use of money so far

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
You have to hand it to Klopp, he kept them playing above their level for a couple of years longer than Ranieri did with Leicester.

It'll be a debate that will probably never finish and both did brilliantly to get a mid-table team to an unlikely title but I'd personally have Klopp slightly above Ranieri

GoldanoGraham

He has become the most dislikeable manager in the league - he has lost that aura and he now just moans at every opportunity. He will quit eventually.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
He has become the most dislikeable manager in the league - he has lost that aura and he now just moans at every opportunity. He will quit eventually.
You mean like Jose did, lots of charisma at the start but then just looks a little washed up?

I always think as a manager you need to have that something which makes players run through brick walls for you. That you are scared to let down.

I think Klopp is a bit deflated really, I'm not sure what's going wrong but if this continues a little bit longer he will lose the players imo. They need to start getting results, but 8th at this stage is worrying.

TheReligion

Abusive
Just read Klopp rejecting claims he has his favourites and is too loyal. Can’t say it sounds all that convincing and at times like the accusation was actually making him consider if he did or not..

He’s definitely changed. It’s as if he’s gone a bit soft.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
He should be coming in for enormous criticism IMO, he got all the credit for getting more than the sum of their parts for years but in 2022/23 he's getting less.

Ive repeated this a bunch on here but John Giles nailed him as "A one trick pony with a very good trick" in hindsight.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
He genuinely seems immune from criticism; it's all a-bit weird.
Under what rock have you been living if you think Liverpool haven't been criticized for their performances this season? :lol:

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Under what rock have you been living if you think Liverpool haven't been criticized for their performances this season? :lol:
Liverpool have but Klopp hasnt.

He's set up the team badly, persisted with underperfoming players and made bad subs all season.

He definitely hasnt had the support from the board financially that he "should" have but at the same time I think he comes across as a bit of a bootlicker to your owners.

That's just about how long it takes a team to peak and fade. He doesn't know how to address and rebuild.
No manager in the current game does. Ferguson was the last one. Klopp's sole problem is his recruitment, all his newest signings have been worse than the players they replaced, and it was fairly obvious they would be before they even played a game at Anfield. I don't know if that's his problem or FSGs.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I don't know if that's his problem or FSGs.
I refuse to believe that Klopp can't see the enormous issues they have in midfield (Age/ Injuries) and has chosen not to address it which is why I think he's a bit of a corporate ( at least to the people who pay his wages) bootlicker who is happy enough to watch the boat sink as long as he's being paid to Captain it.

His statements about the football financial situation remind me a bit of the "No value in the market" statements to cover up a lack of investment a decade ago at United.

He had enough influence (around his contract extension) to demand investment in the team for his signature IMO and should be kicking up a stink right now.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
No manager in the current game does. Ferguson was the last one. Klopp's sole problem is his recruitment, all his newest signings have been worse than the players they replaced, and it was fairly obvious they would be before they even played a game at Anfield. I don't know if that's his problem or FSGs.
That's not entirely true - in the first place when he joined us, he replaced all of our players with players who were or become better than the previous ones. And sure, you can say that this was down to our "transfer committee" more so than Klopp, but the structure hasn't changed so drastically that all of a sudden all of our 'new' signings are Klopp's whilst the old, succesful ones (Alisson, Fabinho, Salah, Mane, ...) were not his.

Also it was basically impossible to replace Mane with a better player. I actually think Diaz is close as a replacement and one of the best ones we could've gotten.

A rebuild doesn't happen overnight or during one offseason. We went to the final in all our cup competitions last year and came within 30' of the PL title. At least you (although I can understand while Utd fans won't) should give him some time to properly rebuild. And that's a process of multiple years.

Arsenal stuck with Arteta during their losing runs, and you see what they're doing right now. Clubs are way too feeble these days. So what if Liverpool has two or three down years, we should trust Klopp that he can turn it around.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I'm not saying for sure that he's done but it does seem to track very similarly with how things went at dortmund, a good start, a few years of enormous success, then a decline that he wasn't able to stop, maybe he will at Liverpool but its looking more likely it might be time for him to move on, he's not going to get another continuo sale to fund the kind of moves that built this team, I think they fecked up not taking whatever ridiculous offer they got for Salah, but even then nunez doesn't look like the greatest use of money so far
I think there is something in his temperament, a kind of fatalistic optimism. He comes in with all guns blazing, with a hip, fresh, cool new vibe. He makes superhuman demands on people tactically and fitness-wise. He takes no shit. When it's working, it's intoxicating. But there is something about him that seems slightly contrived. He is like a heavy metaller who has been in five bands and actually now prefers a form of cool jazz. He still sings the hits, but there is just a hint of weariness in his interviews. His bassplayer just left. It was insane to let Sane go. The omens are good for Klopp and Liverpool.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool? Sure. Klopp? Nah.
We're talking about Klopp.
Semantics, really. If you criticize Liverpool, you inherently are criticizing the manager's tactics, team selection, and whatnot. He is responsible for how his team performs, so he's also responsible for the bad results this season.

But might be true that it isn't directed personally at Klopp like it would be for some other managers, yeah. English media still seems to like him.

Robbie Boy

Semantics, really. If you criticize Liverpool, you inherently are criticizing the manager's tactics, team selection, and whatnot. He is responsible for how his team performs, so he's also responsible for the bad results this season.

But might be true that it isn't directed personally at Klopp like it would be for some other managers, yeah. English media still seems to like him.
I don't really think you understand the word 'semantics'.

That's not entirely true - in the first place when he joined us, he replaced all of our players with players who were or become better than the previous ones. And sure, you can say that this was down to our "transfer committee" more so than Klopp, but the structure hasn't changed so drastically that all of a sudden all of our 'new' signings are Klopp's whilst the old, succesful ones (Alisson, Fabinho, Salah, Mane, ...) were not his.

Also it was basically impossible to replace Mane with a better player. I actually think Diaz is close as a replacement and one of the best ones we could've gotten.

A rebuild doesn't happen overnight or during one offseason. We went to the final in all our cup competitions last year and came within 30' of the PL title. At least you (although I can understand while Utd fans won't) should give him some time to properly rebuild. And that's a process of multiple years.

Arsenal stuck with Arteta during their losing runs, and you see what they're doing right now. Clubs are way too feeble these days. So what if Liverpool has two or three down years, we should trust Klopp that he can turn it around.
Well recent signings I suppose I meant. I can't think of anybody who even maintained the same level of their predecessor. Then you have signings like Thiago who whilst a tidy player totally upset the apple cart. I didn't understand that one from the start and still don't.

Rebuilding is a process that takes time and every team gets a few players wrong, but have Liverpool got any right recently? I actually think Klopp is currently the best manager in the world so he should get time, but at what point do you start questioning his recruitment and therefore his ability to be in charge.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Well recent signings I suppose I meant. I can't think of anybody who even maintained the same level of their predecessor. Then you have signings like Thiago who whilst a tidy player totally upset the apple cart. I didn't understand that one from the start and still don't.

Rebuilding is a process that takes time and every team gets a few players wrong, but have Liverpool got any right recently? I actually think Klopp is currently the best manager in the world so he should get time, but at what point do you start questioning his recruitment and therefore his ability to be in charge.
I don't think he should be in charge of recruitment tbh, he should have his say on players/traits he likes but then it's up to others to identify players in that mould. Klopp was against the Salah signing if I remember correctly.

As for players we got right: Nunez might still turn out to be a prolific goalscorer imo, although it's almost certain by now we overspent on him. Konate is still young and was starting games for the WC finalist just two months ago, but also not a 100% hit of course. Diogo Jota and Luis Diaz were good transfers imo, and hopefully Fabio Carvalho and Cody Gakpo will turn out to be good ones as well. At least we seem to be buying young players at the moment, so even if they don't hit I'd imagine we can recoup a lot of the money we paid for them in the first place. But yeah, we haven't bought anyone recently who turned out to be an absolute superstar like we did with Salah, Mane, Van Dijk, that's definitely true.

crossy1686

career ending
This is the problem with trying to rebuild a team all at once, you end up with players who aren't as good as the outgoing one's. Fergie was a master at it because every purchase was part of a 2 year rebuild, unless they were a Van Persie, or an Owen, and they addressed a need right now in the team that he had spent the last couple of years building.

TheReligion

Abusive
Deserved win even though Wolves were awfully bad.

After Klopp saying about needing to go back to basics I felt they did that by getting behind the ball, pressing and remaining organised.

Still a shadow of the team we all recognise with the quality of the game abysmal but I think Klopp is doing the right thing and it will be interesting to see if he does this v Chelsea at weekend.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Even in his natural position I doubt Gakpo will make it at Liverpool, but as a striker? Boggles the mind really. I guess all Liverpool's strikers are injured?

Would be a bit like Ten Hag playing Weghorst on the wing tomorrow.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Deserved win even though Wolves were awfully bad.

After Klopp saying about needing to go back to basics I felt they did that by getting behind the ball, pressing and remaining organised.

Still a shadow of the team we all recognise with the quality of the game abysmal but I think Klopp is doing the right thing and it will be interesting to see if he does this v Chelsea at weekend.
They can lose again at Brighton next round

bringbackbebe

They can lose again at Brighton next round
This time it'll be different. They'll have Nunez in the front, hopefully VVD back & a motivated TAA waiting to get revenge. They'll also revert to 4-3-3 with Salah & Gakpo cutting in from the wings.

They'll still lose 3-0 though.

erikcred

This time it'll be different. They'll have Nunez in the front, hopefully VVD back & a motivated TAA waiting to get revenge. They'll also revert to 4-3-3 with Salah & Gakpo cutting in from the wings.

They'll still lose 3-0 though.
They'll have a parade at the end of the season anyway, so the result doesn't matter.