Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United

Liverpool did as well as you might hope, but Barca’s finishing deserted them and they were mentally shot after the equaliser. Even Klopp and the Liverpool players were happy to concede it was just one of those nights as much as anything. You couldn’t expect that to happen. You couldn’t repeat that and get the same result.

Gilgamesh

Supports
Bayern, and others
He’s a top manager no denying it.

He had a similar trajectory when he was managing Dortmund didn’t he? Took a few years to get going, for 3-4 years his Dortmund team was awesome. Then if I remember correctly he had them in the relegation zone near the end of his tenure.

I don't watch much of German football. What exactly caused his downfall at Dortmund? Any chance of it happening at Liverpool haha
I remember that season pretty well, but also checked again the statitics to fresh up my memory (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_Borussia_Dortmund_season): Dortmund had lost Lewandowski before the season, and started the season with losing 11 of their first 19 matches. But none of these losses was in any way a complete break down, many were really freakish results were Dortmund should have scored have a dozen but couldn't manage to get anything done. 8 of their first 11 losses were by just one score, but they actually should have won most of them but just couldn't get the ball into the net -- I remember Ciro Immobile, the intended Lewandowski replacement, to have been especially wasteful with his opportunities. They fell to last place in the table, with actually no one really understanding why.

With 6 matches still to play Klopp annouced to step down by the end of the season. In the end they managed a 7th place in the league and the cup final. In hindsight IMO it was just a period of freakish events. If Dortmund hadn't bowed to the media pressure, Klopp probably would still be there. That's life, and lucky for Pool.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I'm not sure what your point is? I never said Liverpool weren't Barca's equals over the two legs. They were 0-3 down coming into tonight though, regardless how they played in the first leg, and didn't deliver a performance that ordinarily would be enough to overcome that deficit.

el3mel

He had a similar trajectory when he was managing Dortmund didn’t he? Took a few years to get going, for 3-4 years his Dortmund team was awesome. Then if I remember correctly he had them in the relegation zone near the end of his tenure.

I don't watch much of German football. What exactly caused his downfall at Dortmund? Any chance of it happening at Liverpool haha
They were consistently selling their good players though. That won't happen for Liverpool.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I'm not sure what your point is? I never said Liverpool weren't Barca's equals over the two legs. They were 0-3 down coming into tonight though, regardless how they played in the first leg, and didn't deliver a performance that ordinarily would be enough to overcome that deficit.
I'm not sure why you thought I was contradicting you. Just interesting that the tale of the Xg tape indicates how close in chance creation the two teams were over two legs. Could have gone either way. Would be interesting to see the Xg from the second half at Anfield though.

pjaya

If he doesn't land a trophy this year, after tonight's result and the amount of European finals in his Liverpool tenure, you have to wonder just how?
Sooner or later they will win. Sometimes we just have to concede that Liverpool do have the European pedigree compared to united.
Frankly would not surprise me if this year they don’t get the PL next year very possible.

freeurmind

weak willed
Give him credit, he's crazy sometimes, but in a few years he's built a team that is good to watch and challenging at the top level. Key was his decisions were backed by the people upstairs and the fanbase was patient when the results were poor in the beginning. Scary prospect thinking of him an Pep in the league for the next few years. Expect Sarri to have Chelsea firing next season as well.

BlueHaze

Give him credit, he's crazy sometimes, but in a few years he's built a team that is good to watch and challenging at the top level. Key was his decisions were backed by the people upstairs and the fanbase was patient when the results were poor in the beginning. Scary prospect thinking of him an Pep in the league for the next few years. Expect Sarri to have Chelsea firing next season as well.
They been serving up some disastrous shit football on numerous occasions this year but Hazard carries them. They'll do feck all if he ends up leaving.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Our rivals all got progressive managers while we got José. I said it at the time it'd cause us to fall behind.

justboy68

Someone said it in another thread but the absolute saddest thing is that even if Klopp was our manager, he wouldn't succeed with this squad. They are lazy sods who don't have the heart or desire.

NewMember

Missing half his team due to injuries for the entire year which included all his best defenders. Also Bayern buying their best players (lewa, gotze who was great at the time). He did get them going in the last 2 months and they finished in a Europa league spot. Which they ironically lost to liverpool’s Klopp the following year in the semi finals (another bottle job).

In Rainbows

Someone said it in another thread but the absolute saddest thing is that even if Klopp was our manager, he wouldn't succeed with this squad. They are lazy sods who don't have the heart or desire.
I'm not sure you can say that. I thought the excuse for Ole not utilizing a team coordinated press is because of fitness? If it isn't because of fitness, then Ole needs to use players who will follow his instructions.

Aloysius's Back 3

It's not that by itself either. If Klopp moved to us at the time he moved to Liverpool - then he would have been fired by now. Easily.

Our fans and workers think we are a bigger club that we are - especially after the 20 year dominance of SAF & only after 6 years of suffering have people started to open their mind to things like patience, understanding and long term planning of this club to something that was never permanent.

That's why Klopp chose Liverpool over us and it was a good choice.

In Rainbows

It's not that by itself either. If Klopp moved to us at the time he moved to Liverpool - then he would have been fired by now. Easily.
What makes you say that? Klopp's football has always been entertaining, and he has a proven track record. Some of us loathed our other managers because it felt like we didn't have the basics right and had no identity.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
A very good manager no doubt. But we've already seen two kinds of football from him. The lightning attack kind that wasn't sustainable, and the pretty tame stuff in many games this season. I have my doubts whether that's sustainable as a method of reliably winning but we'll see. What he does have is great motivational qualities and a team that responds to him perfectly.

Bojan11

A very good manager no doubt. But we've already seen two kinds of football from him. The lightning attack kind that wasn't sustainable, and the pretty tame stuff in many games this season. I have my doubts whether that's sustainable as a method of reliably winning but we'll see. What he does have is great motivational qualities and a team that responds to him perfectly.
Isn’t that a good sign for Liverpool?

Fergie used to change it up too. There’s no shame in changing it up. Managers who just have one way of playing tend to be predictable.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Isn’t that a good sign for Liverpool?

Fergie used to change it up too. There’s no shame in changing it up. Managers who just have one way of playing tend to be predictable.
Maybe. Neither seem sustainable though. I'm sure they'll still be up there for a while anyway.

Aloysius's Back 3

What makes you say that? Klopp's football has always been entertaining, and he has a proven track record. Some of us loathed our other managers because it felt like we didn't have the basics right and had no identity.
Klopp in my opinion goes to ex giants of clubs to get them back from dust due to the time and patience he gets. He doesn't have pressure whilst the city, the stadium and the fans all blend in with the manager and the players.

Liverpool are the English Dortmund and you can see that unfortunately by their stadium, their fans, how they sing and now how they play football. They are happy just as klopp is to go to games being the underdog than the dominant one with a level of instant expectation.

United as a club have only truly opened their eyes to being rubbish now that Jose - the instant success/guaranteed lottery ticket manager has also failed. By the time Klopp joined United, he would have had a bunch of players from total different philosophies - SAF, Moyes, LVG and possible Jose's. Klopp would have that mess but still feeling the pressure of having to do things the 'United way, or even the SAF way to some degree'.

Klopp sees us as the Bayern of England more than the Dortmund & there is no way he could turn United in to Dortmund 2.0 the way he has done so with Liverpool. That's due to not only the players, but the fans and the pressures the club put on its manager.

ZenMaster Coltrane

He's gone to back to back CL finals with a patchwork, underwhelming midfield. He's adaptable and creates unbelievable team belief.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Great manager. He and Pep are at the top at the moment and both might be there for a while.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I mean...as it stands they're about to set the second highest ever points total in a PL season in which they've also reached the CL final. Even if it's got its flaws his style quite clearly works to some extent.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Klopp in my opinion goes to ex giants of clubs to get them back from dust due to the time and patience he gets. He doesn't have pressure whilst the city, the stadium and the fans all blend in with the manager and the players.

Liverpool are the English Dortmund and you can see that unfortunately by their stadium, their fans, how they sing and now how they play football. They are happy just as klopp is to go to games being the underdog than the dominant one with a level of instant expectation.

United as a club have only truly opened their eyes to being rubbish now that Jose - the instant success/guaranteed lottery ticket manager has also failed. By the time Klopp joined United, he would have had a bunch of players from total different philosophies - SAF, Moyes, LVG and possible Jose's. Klopp would have that mess but still feeling the pressure of having to do things the 'United way, or even the SAF way to some degree'.

Klopp sees us as the Bayern of England more than the Dortmund & there is no way he could turn United in to Dortmund 2.0 the way he has done so with Liverpool. That's due to not only the players, but the fans and the pressures the club put on its manager.
I believed Klopp was approached by SAF for the job and he turned it down while he was with BVB. It is just bad timing as he was committed to BVB during the time.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Well, Klopp wouldn't have built a squad that prioritised power over technique for starters. This squad mess is on José. With a progressive manager like Klopp, we'd be in a much better shape and I don't get why so many overlook this.

Sterling Archer

Three European cup finals, steadily progressing in the domestic league. It certainly seems sustainable to me. The only factor that I wonder about is he has consistently gone out of the smaller cups early but maybe that's partly by design

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I have no doubt that Klopp would've gotten more from our squad. He is great at motivating players and making them play at above their level, which we can see from how he's improved the likes of Matip, Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum etc. Ole was able to make our team play at a high level early on because they were motivated but since a poor run of form, he hasn't been able to get them back to their best. Not all Ole's fault obviously because it shouldn't take the manager to motivate a team, but Klopp seems better at that.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
This guy makes Origi believe that he’s Pele, and makes Henderson believe that he’s Matthaus.

There isn’t another manager like him at the moment.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Making waves again just as in the glory days of Dortmund 2010-2012. Reaching a consecutive second CL final while also playing an excellent domestic season is more than luck.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I think his first season at Pool can be compared to Emerys. Not great, but some positive signs. Clearly he needed time, so he could adjust - the club gave him the time. Reachong top4 in three consecutive seasons is definitely an achievment for Pool.

sugar_kane

It still rages me that we had multiple shots at this guy and either didn’t bother or fecked them up.

I’m not sure which one is worse, deciding David fecking Moyes would be a better shout or putting him off by trying to sell the club as Disneyland.

Chances are he wouldn’t have wanted it like Pep anyway, I think most with sense could see United Post-Fergie was a potential career breaker. The only way was down really.

Red00012

This guy makes Origi believe that he’s Pele, and makes Henderson believe that he’s Matthaus.

There isn’t another manager like him at the moment.
Could he convince Rashford he’s Ronaldo ? Oh wait....

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

It still rages me that we had multiple shots at this guy and either didn’t bother or fecked them up.

I’m not sure which one is worse, deciding David fecking Moyes would be a better shout or putting him off by trying to sell the club as Disneyland.

Chances are he wouldn’t have wanted it like Pep anyway, I think most with sense could see United Post-Fergie was a potential career breaker. The only way was down really.
That’s what really frustrates me. I always thought of him being the perfect successor to Fergie.

However, I have in mind an interview with him saying he turned an offer down back then?

Josh 76

Just to think Ancheloti was Liverpools first choice, but for some reason it didn't happen so they went for Klopp.

Treble

If they win the double, Liverpool 2019 will be considered better than United 2008. Hope they don't do it.

Kapardin

I think the Disneyland pitch was before Moyes was appointed. When Klopp left Dortmund and was free, it was the first half of LvG's second season when we were playing shite but still in the Top 2. Woodward was so up LvG's arse then, calling him genius and whatnot, that he didn't even reach out to Klopp or try again.

Josh 76

He's gone to back to back CL finals with a patchwork, underwhelming midfield. He's adaptable and creates unbelievable team belief.
This is where we don't get it. The team is based on rock solid defenders, two athletic ball playing full backs and world class forwards. The midfield doesn't need to be world class footballers. They are told do to a job and do it as a team. If Klopp had Herrera, Mctomminy and Lingard in midfield, you would still see the same performance and results.

Treble

This is where we don't get it. The team is based on rock solid defenders, two athletic ball playing full backs and world class forwards. The midfield doesn't need to be world class footballers. They are told do to a job and do it as a team. If Klopp had Herrera, Mctomminy and Lingard in midfield, you would still see the same performance and results.
Spot on. Creativity comes from the fullbacks, the task of the midfielders is to protect them, press, win back the ball and move it quickly.