Kalvin Phillips | City Player (West Ham loan watch)

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Nothing except the quotes around "organically earned" of course ;)
Even that statement was correct.
Whetever the source of the money several clubs have spent obscene amounts of cash on their squads in recent years but results have varied wildly.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Even that statement was correct.
Whetever the source of the money several clubs have spent obscene amounts of cash on their squads in recent years but results have varied wildly.
Which as you say I wouldn't dispute, United have wasted so much money it's embarrassing. I'm taking issue with the quotes around "organically earned", which seem to be suggesting that the circumstances around how football clubs operate are a side issue.

Gazza

Nothing except the quotes around "organically earned" of course ;)

Which as you say I wouldn't dispute, United have wasted so much money it's embarrassing. I'm taking issue with the quotes around "organically earned", which seem to be suggesting that the circumstances around how football clubs operate are a side issue.
two fair posts right here

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
His a** got so fat that if it was a bread, you would need a boat paddle to put butter on it.

Chief123

Is a player who never plays and cost £45m regarded as a flop? Or do they have to play and be rubbish to be a flop.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
This has a cut price deal to Liverpool written all over it. I can already see him in their shirt (possibly because they already have so many players that look like him in my head)

Skills

Snitch
This has a cut price deal to Liverpool written all over it. I can already see him in their shirt (possibly because they already have so many players that look like him in my head)
Villa want him apparently

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Villa want him apparently
Villa would be a good move for him, but I can see Liverpool trying their luck. They probably need at least two midfielders in the summer. Can see him leaving for £30 million and being very good for them.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Aké didn't play that much either in his first couple of seasons at City. Granted he was also injured in his first season and he wasn't used this sparingly. But I wouldn't be surprised if Pep turned this into another masterstroke and next season he's one of their key players. Sure equally I wouldn't be surprised if he went on loan either.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Is a player who never plays and cost £45m regarded as a flop? Or do they have to play and be rubbish to be a flop.
He is not very good and certainly was never City quality. So is he a flop if no one expected him to ever play? Probably not. City got ripped off and he has no control over his price tag so it is what it is.

SuperiorXI

I forgot he existed. He is a case in point of how ridiculous City's squad is and precisely why a lot of people have been saying from the start that Arsenal didn't have a chance. They have 2 teams that could win the title and then a sprinkling of top class players on top... how do you compete with that?

GlasgowCeltic

Aké didn't play that much either in his first couple of seasons at City. Granted he was also injured in his first season and he wasn't used this sparingly. But I wouldn't be surprised if Pep turned this into another masterstroke and next season he's one of their key players. Sure equally I wouldn't be surprised if he went on loan either.
if he becomes a key player it’ll be in place of Gundogan and they’ll be weaker for it

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think he was bought with the intention of doing what John Stones is currently and I think he'd do a decent job at it if he were fit. Does seem to be an underlying personal issue which is hampering his career so far (whether that's related to injury, mental health or being a billy big bollocks who knows).

Chief123

Has he made enough appearances for a league winners medal?
Played in 8 matches. Should get one.

Man City have scored 87 premier league goals. He’s not been on the pitch for any of them.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Something just feels different with Phillips than Ake for lack of a better way of putting it. Despite not playing much and having injuries Ake played just under 1000 minutes in his first season in all comps. So 11 or so full games worth.
Phillips has been injured too but he's played just 405 minutes at City so roughly 4 and a half full games. Given how little he's likely to play down the stretch unless we get the league wrapped up early, its very unlikely he plays 600 minutes worth of football this season.

I don't think he'll leave as its very likely Gundogan is off in the summer (wants a new challenge) and we'll be light in midfield if both go.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I think he'll get another season, the amount of players who've been branded as flops or not good enough in their first season are now key players is a pretty nice list

Mahrez
Ake
Rodri
Grealish

Add in to a lesser extent

Stones
Bernardo
Cancello

I think he's one of the only midfielders outside KDB who could consistently play decent balls over the top to Haaland, Gundo, Bernardo and Rodri just don't like playing those type of balls preferring short passing and moving.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think he was bought with the intention of doing what John Stones is currently and I think he'd do a decent job at it if he were fit. Does seem to be an underlying personal issue which is hampering his career so far (whether that's related to injury, mental health or being a billy big bollocks who knows).
I think he could do what Stones is doing on the ball but hasn't the ability to drop into CB like Stones does. I think we originally signed him cause Pep was dabbling with 4231 where he could play beside Rodri but then Pep realized, Bernardo is better than him at that role whilst Kalvin was injured.

I feel for him a bit because by the time he actually got fit, there was just nowhere for him in our midfield with the system change that saw Cancelo get the boot.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I think he could do what Stones is doing on the ball but hasn't the ability to drop into CB like Stones does. I think we originally signed him cause Pep was dabbling with 4231 where he could play beside Rodri but then Pep realized, Bernardo is better than him at that role whilst Kalvin was injured.

I feel for him a bit because by the time he actually got fit, there was just nowhere for him in our midfield with the system change that saw Cancelo get the boot.
He may well be a victim to your system change but even before you bought him, he was never the standard you should have been looking at. He is a mid table player. The only reason he gets in the England squad is because we really don’t have anyone better, we have a pathetically limited choice at CM and DM. If you were specifically looking for someone who qualifies as HG then stumping up a little more for Rice would have made more sense. He is more flexible with his role and position in teams.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Didn't Pep play him as a CB in pre-season?

Lecland07

Never rated him. Don't understand why City bought him, really. Terrible hairstyle to top it off.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Didn't Pep play him as a CB in pre-season?
He did but its not somewhere hes comfortable. Even though I give him alot of shit I think theres a proper player in Phillips maybe not WC but a player who can offer more at a top club than he does at City.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He may well be a victim to your system change but even before you bought him, he was never the standard you should have been looking at. He is a mid table player. The only reason he gets in the England squad is because we really don’t have anyone better, we have a pathetically limited choice at CM and DM. If you were specifically looking for someone who qualifies as HG then stumping up a little more for Rice would have made more sense. He is more flexible with his role and position in teams.
I think we bought him simply to fix the home grown quota with Raheem leaving and Erling and Alvarez coming in. I don't think he's amazing but good enough to do a job if he finds his feet. We overpaid for his homegrowness.

MoskvaRed

City bought him for the same reason they bought Delph - quotas. Having said that, I think Phillips is a decent player and it’s a shame to see his career petering out into well-remunerated futility at such an age.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Didn’t realise he’s 27. I thought he was younger

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Something just feels different with Phillips than Ake for lack of a better way of putting it. Despite not playing much and having injuries Ake played just under 1000 minutes in his first season in all comps. So 11 or so full games worth.
Phillips has been injured too but he's played just 405 minutes at City so roughly 4 and a half full games. Given how little he's likely to play down the stretch unless we get the league wrapped up early, its very unlikely he plays 600 minutes worth of football this season.

I don't think he'll leave as its very likely Gundogan is off in the summer (wants a new challenge) and we'll be light in midfield if both go.
The difference is that Philips has always been overhyped for his work in a crappy functional England team

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
City bought him for the same reason they bought Delph - quotas. Having said that, I think Phillips is a decent player and it’s a shame to see his career petering out into well-remunerated futility at such an age.
Yes but that is harsh on Delph, because he was an extremely good player for them.

gibers

Would help if he wasn't constantly smashing pies on his offdays. Professionalism should be the minimum requirement for such a top athlete.